Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default U.S destroying free speech?

Will the internet's infinite amount of free speech websites like Youtube and Facebook be limited? And, more importantly, what will Anonymous have to say about it?

Welcome to China, comrades.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron
Default Re: U.S destroying free speech?

It won't pass. This takes away due process and freedom of speech, both of which are protected by the Constitution.

Furthermore, it is far too vague. The internet will COLLAPSE, and the economy will go down the drain from that. It's a way to talk and browse; with internet sites being attacked by rival competitors (and believe me, they WILL attack each other) and being shut down, they will lose money and go out of business.

I'm surprised Nintendo is supporting this, but I'm glad to see SEGA is not. The bottom line is though, the bill has immense support from major companies...This will put pressure on the bill to pass. When under pressure, things this stupid usually do.

And then, of course, it gets removed from being unconstitutional within a year...But the damage will already have been done to certain websites.

DeviantArt is at severe risk, Facebook, Ebay...THIS website, even (although Nintendo made it quite clear they don't care about Pokemon websites, further confusing me why they joined).

EVERY WEBSITE HAS SOMETHING THAT CAN BE DEEMED AS INFRINGING AND THUS CAN BE SHUT DOWN.

That's the bottom line.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:50 PM

The U.S government made alcohol illegal for years. I would not put it past them to do something as stupid as censor the internet.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
The U.S government made alcohol illegal for years. I would not put it past them to do something as stupid as censor the internet.
Yes, and look what happened. Crime skyrocketed. It was an attempt to control drunk driving, and it didn't work so they repealed it.

Now, they have all these facts about censoring and how difficult it will be and the facts about money made...Yet they are ignoring all the years of research. That in itself is a great folly.

Could they pass it? Yes. But will it stay? No. To be blunt, the economy will be shot to sh*t.

Also, notice how they failed to censor video game sales to "minors" and have switched to the internet. This happens all the time. They are determined to censor SOMETHING.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:31 AM
most duded Offline

if the internet was cancelled... wow, just, wow

Old 11-29-2011, 02:59 AM
Mr420 Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr420

Metallica's And Justice for all album comes to mind in which Hetfield says

"Doesn't Matter What You See
Or into it What You Read
You Can Do it Your Own Way
If It's Done Just How I Say

Independence Limited
Freedom of Choice
Choice Is Made for You My Friend
Freedom of Speech
Speech Is Words That They Will Bend
Freedom with Their Exception"

I think this fits the bill.

Pokérus Empire
Old 11-29-2011, 05:45 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassy_Aggron View Post
Yes, and look what happened. Crime skyrocketed. It was an attempt to control drunk driving, and it didn't work so they repealed it.
It actually wasn't an attempt at controlling drunk driving, it was an attempt to control drinking altogether, and it had ridiculous and astonishing public support from all sectors of the public.

This bill is not remotely similar. If it were to pass, there would be a revolution that would make the Occupy movement look pathetic. We wouldn't even have to wait for it to be declared unconstitutional, or even for the resulting economic tank. Within a day of it taking effect the resulting riots would result in either the government overturning it, or being violently overthrown.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Now, they have all these facts about censoring and how difficult it will be and the facts about money made...Yet they are ignoring all the years of research. That in itself is a great folly.

Could they pass it? Yes. But will it stay? No. To be blunt, the economy will be shot to sh*t.

Also, notice how they failed to censor video game sales to "minors" and have switched to the internet. This happens all the time. They are determined to censor SOMETHING.
If you think smuggling alcohol is a crime, then sure, it skyrocketed. Also, the reason alcohol was banned was because religious extremists voted pushed to ban it.

As I said, they are not banning the internet. They are censoring it to the point where free speech is void. No Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Myspace, Pe2k, Skype, AIM, censor-free EMAIL, Tindeck, DeviantArt, or anything. Simply banking and government sites. You know, Chinese style censorship. This will not, however, effect other parts of the world like Europe or Oceania.

Would it stay? I don't know. With past cyber attacks on various companies, the dangers of identity theft, and the "Patriot Act", allowing the government to monitor everyone of its citizens at any time. What is keeping them from censoring the internet?

I don't know if you know this, but it is actually illegal to hug people in public. They censor real life. There is nothing they have not touched.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 11-29-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 AM
Max0596 Offline

Send a message via MSN to Max0596

I don't live in Canada, and this concerns me greatly. If I made a site like PE2k, it would be blocked. But I don't get it. I don't abide by the US laws, nor can I vote on them, so why would they apply to me? If that's the case, it's not fair at all.

|||||||||||||||Enjoy the moment!
|||||||||||||||I take requests...if you want stuff, I mean...
Old 11-30-2011, 01:12 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Fedora View Post
It actually wasn't an attempt at controlling drunk driving, it was an attempt to control drinking altogether, and it had ridiculous and astonishing public support from all sectors of the public.

This bill is not remotely similar. If it were to pass, there would be a revolution that would make the Occupy movement look pathetic. We wouldn't even have to wait for it to be declared unconstitutional, or even for the resulting economic tank. Within a day of it taking effect the resulting riots would result in either the government overturning it, or being violently overthrown.
Regardless, the point still stands. It was a stupid attempt, and it led to a lot more problems than it helped. Not to mention, they had a hard time enforcing it.

The bill is unconstitutional (destroying free speech and due process of law) and will not pass. And even if it does...Either what Lord Fedora said will pass, or it will be removed within a few years.

Also, from what I know Obama is against the bill, so that is good. Of course, with Nintendo, Apple, and Microsoft backing it up, that is a lot of pressure >.<'

SEGA, you better not join in >.>

...I hope not ^^'

Bah. I don't really like my government very much...They'd pulled a lot of crap on my mom and let a terrible man like my father take everything. That in itself is enough to make me anti-government.

EDIT: Oh, and I realized that I never answered the question this thread is asking. Is the U.S. destroying freedom of speech? No. It doesn't destroy freedom of speech...

It rapes it, shoots it in the leg before hanging it and then torching it - the big finale being that they collapse the building on the burnt body of speech as an improvised tomb.

Last edited by Grassy_Aggron; 11-30-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:30 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

I don't think it will pass.

... it better not pass.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 11-30-2011, 06:06 AM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
I don't think it will pass.

... it better not pass.
What Kya said. ><
I really don't think it'll pass. I really really don't.
However, should it pass...

On my signal, unleash hell.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:46 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

It's not going to pass. Congress isn't that stupid. I mean, it would take a special level of mental retardation to pass this bill. If it does the only consequence is the instant political death of everyone who votes for it, followed by Obama's veto.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 AM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Fedora View Post
It's not going to pass. Congress isn't that stupid. I mean, it would take a special level of mental retardation to pass this bill. If it does the only consequence is the instant political death of everyone who votes for it, followed by Obama's veto.

Never underestimate the power of stupidity my friend.

As one of my many collected buttons says:

"The world cannot possibly sustain this much stupidity."

I certainly hope my button be right.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Regardless, the point still stands. It was a stupid attempt, and it led to a lot more problems than it helped. Not to mention, they had a hard time enforcing it.

The bill is unconstitutional (destroying free speech and due process of law) and will not pass. And even if it does...Either what Lord Fedora said will pass, or it will be removed within a few years.

Also, from what I know Obama is against the bill, so that is good. Of course, with Nintendo, Apple, and Microsoft backing it up, that is a lot of pressure >.<'

SEGA, you better not join in >.>

...I hope not ^^'

Bah. I don't really like my government very much...They'd pulled a lot of crap on my mom and let a terrible man like my father take everything. That in itself is enough to make me anti-government.

EDIT: Oh, and I realized that I never answered the question this thread is asking. Is the U.S. destroying freedom of speech? No. It doesn't destroy freedom of speech...

It rapes it, shoots it in the leg before hanging it and then torching it - the big finale being that they collapse the building on the burnt body of speech as an improvised tomb.
Congress has made ridiculous decisions in the past.

And when has congress ever cared about free speech? May I remind you of the Patriot Act?

Obama is a relatively good president, I will not deny that. We all must, however, realize the power lobbyists have over the government. Thanks corruption.