Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Dachampster Offline

Default ASB battling

I love it, but it's way too slow. I don't know about you guys, but I get impatient waiting for referees. Rounds can take up to a week to happen. I have two suggestions on how to make the pace a bit quicker.

-Narration skip battle: An option for an ASB battle. This way, the ref crunches the numbers and just posts the outcome of the turn with little extra narration added. This could make it easier to become a referee, also.

Example:
~ROUND ONE~

[Emo] Litwick (♂)
Ability: Flash Fire
HP: 100
Energy: 100
States: none
Moves: Sunny Day ~ SolarBeam

[Jet] Buizel (♂)
Ability: Swift Swim
HP: 100
Energy: 100
Moves: Bulk Up/Pursuit ~ Aqua Jet/Pursuit

Buizel uses Bulk Up and smirks. [Jet -4 energy, +1 ATK, +1 DEF]
Litwick puts up a Sunny Day. The crowd shield themselves from the bright sun. [Sunny Day: Emo -7 energy]
Buizel strikes quickly with Aqua Jet. [Jet -6 energy, Emo -4 HP (7 X .5 = 4.5, rounded up to 4)]
Litwick has the upper hand in this sun. He uses Solarbeam! [SolarBeam: Emo -42 energy, Jet -23 HP]

~END ROUND~

[Emo] Litwick (♂)
Ability: Flash Fire
HP: 96
Energy: 51

[Jet] Buizel (♂)
Ability: Swift Swim
HP: 77
Energy: 90
States: +1 ATK, +1 DEF.
AREA NOTES
Sunny Day in affect for one more round

REFEREE NOTES
Emo SPD @ 20; Jet SPD @ 85
Aqua Jet: 3041/10000 (625 or less for critical)
Solar Beam: 4399/10000 (625 or less for critical)
Thunderbolt, your moves please?

Or something to that effect.

Second Suggestion: Maybe we can start a shoddy battle league? I think it would be pretty popular. I don't remember seeing a Pe2k server on there. Anyway, we could use our ASB pokemon and nothing else. I'm not sure if it's possible though.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Default Re: ASB battling

Why was this not posted in the ASB Suggestions and Discussion thread...? O_O

Having a shoddy battle league defeats the purpose of having the anime style battling league at all. Anime style has many different mechanics in it compared to in-game.

Crunching numbers for the ASB battles does take time, there is tons to calculate. I tried taking a ref test, and there is a lot of numbers to calculate. This is also why most of the refs hate Double/Multi battles. Things all over the forum have been dying down no doubt because of the members having to deal with real life. There is also the Ref Request thread to get some priority on your battle...for lack of a better term.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Dachampster Offline

I must have missed that thread. So you're saying that the numbers take longer than the narration?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:48 PM
3DThinker Offline

I think, that narrations takes more time than numbers, as the Compendium have a built-in Battle/Catch Calculator, that takes the numbers.
But it's a little more complicated.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Dachampster Offline

If narrations take so long, maybe they should be optional.
I just wish ASB wasn't so slow. I like the environment of forums a lot, but things move soooooo slllooowwwllllyyyyy around here. I come on every day at around this time to find that nothing's happened.
Or maybe I'm just too impatient.
Its just that I wanted to battle with my favorite Pokemon- not worrying about movesets or EVs or tiers against the favorite Pokemon of other people in a fair Anime styled match. The only problem is that even a two-on-two battle takes a month. Also, I'm not a fan of the way we post our moves, but that's another story.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:02 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Okay, first of all, if you have an ASB related issue, take it up with us in the ASB. A) Us staff members are more likely to see it there, and B) that's where it belongs. Now, moving on...

It's been suggested a few times that we make the written part optional. This has been shot down every single time by the staff within three posts of discussion. The written portion of battles is what makes ASB unique to other battle systems. Additionally, it's a myth that the written is what makes it so difficult. For some people it's the hardest part. I will fully admit that the writing takes the longest for me. But for other's it's absolutely the math, and the writing takes them a very short amount of time.

I apologize that battles take a while. But our refs have real lives outside of PE2K, which frankly take priority over your impatience. I don't mean to be rude, but I'm sick of hearing this criticism, and more sick of this suggestion.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:23 AM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Fedora View Post
Okay, first of all, if you have an ASB related issue, take it up with us in the ASB. A) Us staff members are more likely to see it there, and B) that's where it belongs. Now, moving on...

It's been suggested a few times that we make the written part optional. This has been shot down every single time by the staff within three posts of discussion. The written portion of battles is what makes ASB unique to other battle systems. Additionally, it's a myth that the written is what makes it so difficult. For some people it's the hardest part. I will fully admit that the writing takes the longest for me. But for other's it's absolutely the math, and the writing takes them a very short amount of time.

I apologize that battles take a while. But our refs have real lives outside of PE2K, which frankly take priority over your impatience. I don't mean to be rude, but I'm sick of hearing this criticism, and more sick of this suggestion.
This. Verbatim. -___-
Old 11-12-2011, 05:03 AM
Dachampster Offline

I'm really just trying to come up with a hypothetical battling system that would work. If it was up to me, I'd make a separate section of RPG for it. See how it goes.

If I could move my thread, I would.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Well it's not up to you, now is it? We have a battling system and it works just fine. It's a bit slow, yes, but you know what, you can have a little patience.