Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: How does one formulate an idea for a story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Physics is empirical. Psychology is not :P And Freud's mostly viewed as wrong about everything except a few of his most basic ideas (the unconscious and defense mechanisms).
And? You have no argument.

Why are you splitting hairs with me? You have no point.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Max0596 Offline

Send a message via MSN to Max0596

Yawwwwn, this thread has gone on long enough and is off topic. Could someone lock this? Or atleast just PM/VM eachother.

|||||||||||||||Enjoy the moment!
|||||||||||||||I take requests...if you want stuff, I mean...
Old 09-15-2011, 10:05 PM

He brought it off topic, but I am bringing it back on. Did you read about Carl Jung's thoughts on writing?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Max0596 Offline

I did. I also think that I won't be writing a cliche guide.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:22 PM
MoonKit Offline

Send a message via MSN to MoonKit

Quote:
Originally Posted by max0596 View Post
Yes, I guess I was too quick to jump on that idea. I too write only what I want to write, in school I had to write about my boring life. They wouldn't take early stages of Ambersand as assignments xD. Yeah, I kinda jumped to a conclusion there.
Same here.

WHY CANT YOU DO SOMETHING THAT I WONT DIE BEFORE DOING

errr continue to be on topic xD
Old 09-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
And? You have no argument.

Why are you splitting hairs with me? You have no point.
Do I have to explain this? In an empirical science, it is possible to objectively evaluate any claim, no matter how insane, and determine its correctness (usually through experimentation). Thus while a person's insanity may influence your decision to evaluate a certain claim, it should have no impact on the evaluation of the claim itself. In a non-empirical science, truly objective evaluation is not possible. The vast majority of Jung's and Freud's theories are possible to test via experimentation. Since their theories cannot be said to be valid based on the merits of the theories themselves, it is useful to look to the theory's creator themselves to help gather information on the theory's validity.

In layman's terms, Newton's equations can be tested. It doesn't matter if he's crazy. Freud's theories cannot be tested. It matters if he's crazy.

That said, I was not splitting hairs with you. The comment was meant to be an irrelevant joke, as indicated by the smiley. I know nothing as to whether Jung's theories on writing were accurate or not.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 09-16-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Max0596 Offline

Okay, okay that's enough...*starts to push Lusankya out of the thread*

Old 09-16-2011, 03:54 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelatini Jejunator View Post
Just curious to know how the creative process actually begins. I've wanted to write a half-decent fanfic for a while now but I really suck at plot. I'll have a vague idea of what I want it to be about, but after that it just crumbles. How do the rest of you do it? How do you figure out what events you wish to occur and how to deliver them?
... Well, I have no idea what's been going on around here, but... I"m gonna bring it back to the main topic. xD

When it comes to writing fan-fictions, I always look for connections in the fandom I'm targeting. I really like seeing how things fit together--or could fit together, if separate before. My creative process usually begins with research, digging up what is known in the fandom and seeing how it works. Later, I move into the brainstorming phase, which irritatingly enough always happens just before bed (and usually it keeps me up all night xD). I just try to figure out how I can "tweak" things and retell it in a way that's engaging/exciting. My old fan-fic, Lunar Destinies, came as a result of playing PMD2--the Darkrai episode--and thinking about all the Legendary Trio Pokemon, and seeing how they could connect. My newer fan-fic, Kingdom 2 Come, came from connecting all of the old legends of Unova, and following Giratina's WAR Prompt on Roots. ^^

From there, it's all a matter of writing and editing xD

Old 09-16-2011, 03:59 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Come on everyone. Be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
Nobody will hate you.

What is confusing? I agree with what Scy said. But the way she worded it made it seem like there can be nothing that is cliche.

Cliche simply means overused. There are several of aspects that are overused, but several more that are not. Simply put, do not worry about being cliche. People who try to stick to a rigid process when thinking up of stories write cliche things. Now shush, and start writing. Be free! xD
Well, what I meant to say (I think we can all agree that I'm terrible at explaining things) is that ideas used in a certain way can be cliche, but that a lot of these so-called cliche things are too vague to be considered cliche right from the start.

Quote:
Don't listen to two of our best writers! They're just being unoriginal! IT'S A TRA-
This actually made me laugh because I imagined a certain character of mine saying that... XD

Anyway, to bring this back on topic, there are a lot of different ways you can get ideas for stories. I don't really follow any set pattern; sometimes I start my idea with something vague, other times it's a detail that I start building ideas around. I think it helps to think of certain places or situations and think "How could I make a story out of this?/Add something like this to my story?" You may not always get ideas you want to keep, but I find myself thinking about that whenever I think about some nature picture/TV show/music/dreams/random thought I just had/whatever. And then add characters. Or start off with character ideas. Maybe try several different ways to brainstorm and see what works best.

And Max, don't give up on trying to be helpful. There are a lot of other things you can help people with in their writing. If you aren't sure how/what to write a guide on yet, you can keep reviewing stories and giving people advice that way. Even that does a lot of good.

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-

Last edited by Scytherwolf; 09-16-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:13 AM
Max0596 Offline

Okay Scy, I will. Getting ideas is the hard part to some, and the easiest part to others. Just think of what character you want to be the main character, I still used a female flareon even though GS used one as the main character in TtEoaF. Just write what you want to write. It all starts with a...wait for it...

Spark!

Old 09-16-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
Come on everyone. Be nice.

Well, what I meant to say (I think we can all agree that I'm terrible at explaining things) is that ideas used in a certain way can be cliche, but that a lot of these so-called cliche things are too vague to be considered cliche right from the start.

This actually made me laugh because I imagined a certain character of mine saying that... XD

Anyway, to bring this back on topic, there are a lot of different ways you can get ideas for stories. I don't really follow any set pattern; sometimes I start my idea with something vague, other times it's a detail that I start building ideas around. I think it helps to think of certain places or situations and think "How could I make a story out of this?/Add something like this to my story?" You may not always get ideas you want to keep, but I find myself thinking about that whenever I think about some nature picture/TV show/music/dreams/random thought I just had/whatever. And then add characters. Or start off with character ideas. Maybe try several different ways to brainstorm and see what works best.

And Max, don't give up on trying to be helpful. There are a lot of other things you can help people with in their writing. If you aren't sure how/what to write a guide on yet, you can keep reviewing stories and giving people advice that way. Even that does a lot of good.
Erk. Don't say that. You perfectly explained it. I just built on it more.

Quote:

That said, I was not splitting hairs with you. The comment was meant to be an irrelevant joke, as indicated by the smiley. I know nothing as to whether Jung's theories on writing were accurate or not.
I am totally going to say something that I was TOTALLY hoping you'd set me up for. I reject your reality and substitute it with my own. xD

(JK or xD or ;) mean you are joking. =) can mean a variety of things)

Plus, you tell me where you see a smiley in this.

Quote:
Carl Jung was kook, fyi. I don't put that much stock in someone who once reported a dream in which God took a humongous dump on a church (literally) and then saw enormous spiritual significance in it.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 09-16-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Physics is empirical. Psychology is not :P And Freud's mostly viewed as wrong about everything except a few of his most basic ideas (the unconscious and defense mechanisms).
Greetings!

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 09-16-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Greetings!
A little late to the party since you started the whole charade two posts earlier. Nice job!
Old 09-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Yes, that was about the point where I realized that you, in typical fashion, were interpreting light-hearted remarks to be acidic bullets directed at your ego, and thought the matter required clarification.

Art Gallery
Old 09-17-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, that was about the point where I realized that you, in typical fashion, were interpreting light-hearted remarks to be acidic bullets directed at your ego, and thought the matter required clarification.
I have no ego or self-respect.