Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Other Boards Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Man gives up $800,000 for school district

Source: Youtube

This guy's a national hero.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Hoshika Offline

Default Re: Man gives up $800,000 for school district

They already got paid more than that?
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

Ur, I'm glad he's given it to a school, but honestly, we have bigger debts to pay.

What about all of our debt to Other Countries?
Especially China.

China, having this burden over the US, can take American jobs leaving more people un-employed.
Not to mention the other things they could do. China's much bigger than the US, they could easily take us over.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Jolteon View Post
Ur, I'm glad he's given it to a school, but honestly, we have bigger debts to pay.

Especially China.

China, having this burden over the US, can take American jobs leaving more people un-employed.
Not to mention the other things they could do. China's much bigger than the US, they could easily take us over.
Thing is, education is more important than debt to China. I mean, the children are the future, and a solid foundation is extremely important. I'm glad he gave to schools. It's quite important.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Thing is, education is more important than debt to China. I mean, the children are the future, and a solid foundation is extremely important. I'm glad he gave to schools. It's quite important.
True, I agree.
Since I kinda am a child? XD

I see your point.

We could make enough money with the smart children of the future doing smart stuff to make money? Then we live in a happy peaceful world? XD
Old 08-31-2011, 05:35 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
The problem is the American education system, not that they lack money.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
The problem is the American education system, not that they lack money.
Perhaps, but you'd be a fool to think that a lack of money isn't part of the problem. There's a good reason why schools in America is plastered with advertising where they shouldn't belong. To the bare minimum a school should be able to function as a cohesive whole without a need for external sponsorship from Pepsi. To be honest this chunk of money would be barely enough to save a school or two, but it's a good start.

As for the problem with the school system itself, mind expanding on your ideas?
Old 08-31-2011, 02:07 PM

Firstly, maybe inner-city schools, but not suburban since most schools (private and public) are federally funded, and that money comes from property tax.

Second of all, it is the way things are taught and the way education is treated. The education system holds smart kids behind, trying to catch up the stupid kids, which is unfair. Germany is different because it has three different schools for three different intellectual levels. Education is not supposed to be "fun", and teachers need to get back more authority from overprotective parents or whiny students.

Needless to say, it needs improvement.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:21 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Firstly, maybe inner-city schools, but not suburban since most schools (private and public) are federally funded, and that money comes from property tax.
The point is that schools aren't funded enough by the federal government. There has been documentaries on this stuff for quite a while now. I don't think it's a secret or even debatable that funding of schools shouldn't come from advertising.

I'll take your word for suburban schools, since I haven't been to one since like 2006.

Quote:
The education system holds smart kids behind, trying to catch up the stupid kids, which is unfair. Germany is different because it has three different schools for three different intellectual levels.
At the same time, there is the argument that treating kids unequally is exactly what shouldn't be encouraged. Studies have shown that teachers who "found" some kid bright isn't necessarily so, but will become a self-fulfilling prophecy as the teacher spends more time on the kid over others. It's a fascinating concept to say the least.

Armed with this knowledge, you can see how a 3-tier system would become disastrous as kids would have their fate pretty much sealed early in their life. That would be disastrous. I don't claim that the American system is superior, nor do I claim that the German system is superior. I do, however, claim that it isn't as great as you think it would be. On the positive end, if we somehow raise the overall quality of education by all accounts, it can only benefit everyone.

Quote:
Education is not supposed to be "fun", and teachers need to get back more authority from overprotective parents or whiny students.
Education should be fun. We know that memory works better when you link it to things that are concrete. "Being fun" in itself is a tool for such a function as well. To be very frank, there are concepts in education that kids tend to dislike, such as mathematics and sciences, that would fare so much better if it was fun. Think about it. You like the arts because you use words like "fun", "rewarding" and "gratifying" to describe it. Make it that way for education! We may have "suffered" through the bad, doesn't mean others after us should either.

This has nothing to do with overprotective parents or whiny students at all, if you think about the idea of education and fun.

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 08-31-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:37 PM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok

Beyond the arguments about school, I think this sort of speaks a bigger message: People who are making a lot of money and are in a good financial situation should be able to say "Oh hey, I could give away half of my salary and still be living great."

If more people did stuff like that, we'd be a lot better off I think.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:03 AM
karmachameleon Offline

Send a message via AIM to karmachameleon

Quote:

Second of all, it is the way things are taught and the way education is treated. The education system holds smart kids behind, trying to catch up the stupid kids, which is unfair. Germany is different because it has three different schools for three different intellectual levels. Education is not supposed to be "fun", and teachers need to get back more authority from overprotective parents or whiny students.

I disagree; education should be fun (or at least try to form some semblance of fun) if at all possible. In my experience, a positive, jolly atmosphere in the classroom goes a long way in keeping students alert and on topic, usually assuaging any negative connotations toward a given subject that would make Student X dread trying to make an effort. Of course, there isn't and will likely never be a metric for this as subjective fun in the classroom is an individual case-by-case thing, but it shouldn't be something completely stricken from the realm of possibilities.

While I don't think students should have their education spoonfed to them, I do think that, in general, teachers should be the ones reaching out more than students (and should be getting amply paid to do so).

Last edited by karmachameleon; 09-01-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:32 AM

I have been to American, British, and German schools. By far, the American school system is the WORST, and those are some of the differences.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:40 AM
karmachameleon Offline

Send a message via AIM to karmachameleon

Quote:
I have been to American, British, and German schools. By far, the American school system is the WORST, and those are some of the differences.
Elaborate.

As a student of the German language in high school, I'm very familiar with the German educational system, talking extensively in class with an exchange student attending a Gymnasium. It's not inherently better, especially once you consider that students get divided into the three different tiers after around the equivalent of fourth grade in the US, which seems much too early.

The 2000 PISA evaluation seems to agree, which found that Germany scored below international (and US) averages in reading, mathematical, and scientific literacy (page 8).

Last edited by karmachameleon; 09-01-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:23 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Jolteon View Post

Especially China.

$800,000 wouldn't make a difference at all to our foreign debt. Giving that up is just silly.

Quote:

Not particularly. At larger high schools there's plenty of opportunity for smarter students to take on more challenging courses through APs and other advanced classes. It is, as always, a matter of money. Schools that can't afford to have a wide spread of different levels of classes will hold back smarter students; i.e. some schools offer Calculus, while others don't. It's not a problem with the system as a whole because when a school has everything it needs it works fine, it's an issue of money and management.

The issue with trying to separate students into intellectual tiers is deciding who's smart and who's dumb. Who will be deciding this? Parents? Teachers? Some committee in a far-off city that's never even met the students? What criteria are they using? IQ? Standardized tests? But both are flawed representations of intelligence. Not everyone is smart in the same way, and not everyone becomes smart (or hard-working) at the same time. And, as Kenny said, if you classify students into tiers you run into the risk of creating self-fulfilling prophecies. Students that are constantly told that they're the best and have access to the best materials will become the best, students told that they're stupid and deprived of intellectual material will become stupid.

The problem with American education is as much a problem with the culture as it is with the system. Americans take education for granted, and thus good students are seen as nerds, while people who skip and don't try in school are perceived as "cool". Meanwhile, in China and other developing countries that have only recently gained the level of industrialization where universal education has become a possibility, education is the first priority for anyone of student age (the Chinese education system has its own major flaws, which I won't go into here, but at least the people appreciate how important it is).

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."