Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


View Poll Results: What is your religion? (or in the case of atheism, lack of)
Atheist 23 28.40%
Christianity 31 38.27%
Islamic 1 1.23%
Buddhism 2 2.47%
Sikhism 0 0%
Jewish 0 0%
Jedi 6 7.41%
Other 18 22.22%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 07-31-2011, 04:27 AM
atucker22's Avatar
atucker22 Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nice Try Stalker
Posts: 1,747
Default Re: What religion are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
Well, I became a semi-atheist because I realized how incredibly illogical it is to say you believe something exists when there is nothing saying it does.
Um...actually there IS something that says it exists...its called the Bible, the Koran, the Torah (depending on your religion), and it is considered a legitimate source by historians. So...your point is 100% invalid.
__________________
Hatch: 1640 Complete
Scrafty: 1742 Complete
Level100: 1965
The "FireMaster" banner done by Thunder1990 My VPP Stats
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-31-2011, 05:08 AM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: What religion are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atucker22 View Post
Um...actually there IS something that says it exists...its called the Bible, the Koran, the Torah (depending on your religion), and it is considered a legitimate source by historians. So...your point is 100% invalid.
The "nothing" in this context refers to a lack of objective evidence, not literally "nothing saying it exists". Obviously there are people, books, and other media that say supernatural deities exist. Also, the Bible is not considered to be an accurate and reliable depiction of history by most historians. Beyond the physically impossible events such as Noah's Flood (which would leave very obvious signs behind in the sedimentation record), there is no record of the Exodus in ancient Egyptian records nor archaeological evidence of the kingdom of Saul, David, and Solomon. The general consensus among archaelogists is that the Biblical account was written as religion, not history as it contains many anachronisms.
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 07-31-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-31-2011, 02:40 PM
atucker22's Avatar
atucker22 Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nice Try Stalker
Posts: 1,747
Default Re: What religion are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Beyond the physically impossible events such as Noah's Flood (which would leave very obvious signs behind in the sedimentation record),
They actually in recent months have found a place in the Middle East where a large flood happened around the time specified in the story of Noah's Ark. I forget where exactly it was, we discussed it in my history class a few months ago. There are many other unexplainable events, but that's where one needs to let faith take over
__________________
Hatch: 1640 Complete
Scrafty: 1742 Complete
Level100: 1965
The "FireMaster" banner done by Thunder1990 My VPP Stats
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-31-2011, 02:45 PM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: What religion are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atucker22 View Post
They actually in recent months have found a place in the Middle East where a large flood happened around the time specified in the story of Noah's Ark. I forget where exactly it was, we discussed it in my history class a few months ago. There are many other unexplainable events, but that's where one needs to let faith take over
A "large flood" is not impossible. A world-wide flood that covers the top of Mt. Everest would require several times more water than exists on Earth.
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-31-2011, 05:04 PM
atucker22's Avatar
atucker22 Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nice Try Stalker
Posts: 1,747
Default Re: What religion are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
A "large flood" is not impossible. A world-wide flood that covers the top of Mt. Everest would require several times more water than exists on Earth.
You must realize that scripture isn't meant to be literally interpreted. It is full of metaphors. When it said the whole world was covered, it doesn't have to literally mean the whole world was covered, it could mean a number of things, one of them being that a large expanse of the Middle East was flooded, and since in those days you rarely talked with others besides people within about 100 miles, it seemed as though the whole world was covered in water, because the whole world that you knew of was covered.
__________________
Hatch: 1640 Complete
Scrafty: 1742 Complete
Level100: 1965
The "FireMaster" banner done by Thunder1990 My VPP Stats
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Orthar's Avatar
Orthar Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Away from Crusties.
Posts: 5,506
Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar
Default Re: What religion are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atucker22 View Post
You must realize that scripture isn't meant to be literally interpreted. It is full of metaphors. When it said the whole world was covered, it doesn't have to literally mean the whole world was covered, it could mean a number of things, one of them being that a large expanse of the Middle East was flooded, and since in those days you rarely talked with others besides people within about 100 miles, it seemed as though the whole world was covered in water, because the whole world that you knew of was covered.
Even if a large flood occurred, that's not proof that a deity did it. Early humans had no ways of explaining natural occurrences, so they were simply chalked up that a higher power must be creating them. We know how to better explain things now, and while we can't explain everything, looking at something scientifically and judging it with tangible evidence is much more rational than the belief of an invisible man in the sky.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: What religion are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atucker22 View Post
You must realize that scripture isn't meant to be literally interpreted. It is full of metaphors. When it said the whole world was covered, it doesn't have to literally mean the whole world was covered, it could mean a number of things, one of them being that a large expanse of the Middle East was flooded, and since in those days you rarely talked with others besides people within about 100 miles, it seemed as though the whole world was covered in water, because the whole world that you knew of was covered.
Um. I am quite sure that when it was written, it was to be interpreted quite literally. Modern Christians use that as an excuse because when one looks at things in the Bible logically, it looks like an insanity contest between all of the authors.

You have to keep in mind the Old Testament was actually written. While the original copies may have been written before they settled in Israel, the Old Testament you see today was written during the Babylonian Captivity, because the original was destroyed at the Temple of Solomon.

Also note the major influences of Greek and Roman philosophy and mythology. A perfect example would be the Arch Angles. These angles are obviously the Roman demigods. Saint Michael, the Patron Saint of soldiers is obviously the demigod of war, as an example. If Romans never eventually accepted Christianity because of Constantine, it would either not exist or be completely different from what it is today.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 07-31-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-31-2011, 10:08 PM
She-Umbreon's Avatar
She-Umbreon Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Equestria
Posts: 21
Send a message via AIM to She-Umbreon
Default Re: What religion are you?

To be honest, I'm not really sure what I am. I'm still trying to figure it out.
I guess I used to be Christian, but now I am kind of doubting the existence of God .. and heaven.
I don't really know what to believe. I would like to believe in God and heaven, but it just doesn't really seem logical to me ..
__________________

3.28.11
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: What religion are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Umbreon View Post
To be honest, I'm not really sure what I am. I'm still trying to figure it out.
I guess I used to be Christian, but now I am kind of doubting the existence of God .. and heaven.
I don't really know what to believe. I would like to believe in God and heaven, but it just doesn't really seem logical to me ..
Welcome to Agnosticism, She-Umbreon! =D
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-01-2011, 01:17 AM
Judgmental Arceus's Avatar
Judgmental Arceus Offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Your front door with a loaded P90
Posts: 7,534
Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus
Default Re: What religion are you?

Semi-Christian. I believe that there is a God and that there was a Messiah that died for our sins, but I do not worship either.
__________________
Credit to mayfan1000. VPP Browser Post
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-01-2011, 03:15 AM
atucker22's Avatar
atucker22 Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nice Try Stalker
Posts: 1,747
Default Re: What religion are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthar View Post
Even if a large flood occurred, that's not proof that a deity did it.
I never said a Deity did it, I just said that it happened. And I'm not the typical "the Bible defines all" Catholic that it kinda seems like I am from my previous posts, I'm just proving a point that the whole "Bible is a fictional novel" bull crap that a lot of athiests/agnostics say isn't as true as they would like to believe it is. There is documented proof towards and against the Bible, and which way you go just depends on how strong your faith is.
__________________
Hatch: 1640 Complete
Scrafty: 1742 Complete
Level100: 1965
The "FireMaster" banner done by Thunder1990 My VPP Stats
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-01-2011, 03:29 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: What religion are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atucker22 View Post
I never said a Deity did it, I just said that it happened. And I'm not the typical "the Bible defines all" Catholic that it kinda seems like I am from my previous posts, I'm just proving a point that the whole "Bible is a fictional novel" bull crap that a lot of athiests/agnostics say isn't as true as they would like to believe it is. There is documented proof towards and against the Bible, and which way you go just depends on how strong your faith is.
As I said before, atucker, the Bible was written to be taken literally whether you accept it or not. Sure, modern Christians look at it as a book of metaphors, but that is not how it was taught a couple of hundred years ago. You know. Once we got out of the Dark Ages, people started to question the validity of the Bible.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-01-2011, 03:46 AM
Orthar's Avatar
Orthar Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Away from Crusties.
Posts: 5,506
Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar
Default Re: What religion are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atucker22 View Post
I never said a Deity did it, I just said that it happened. And I'm not the typical "the Bible defines all" Catholic that it kinda seems like I am from my previous posts, I'm just proving a point that the whole "Bible is a fictional novel" bull crap that a lot of athiests/agnostics say isn't as true as they would like to believe it is. There is documented proof towards and against the Bible, and which way you go just depends on how strong your faith is.
A lot of "scientists" who say what you claim are not taken seriously, because there is little tangible evidence that backs up Biblical claims.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-01-2011, 03:53 AM
Hoshika's Avatar
Hoshika Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: '¯\(ಠ_ಠ)/¯'
Posts: 6,618
Default Re: What religion are you?

I'm here to make you feel bad because your opinion is not the same as the general population's.
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-01-2011, 04:42 AM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: What religion are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atucker22 View Post
I never said a Deity did it, I just said that it happened. And I'm not the typical "the Bible defines all" Catholic that it kinda seems like I am from my previous posts, I'm just proving a point that the whole "Bible is a fictional novel" bull crap that a lot of athiests/agnostics say isn't as true as they would like to believe it is. There is documented proof towards and against the Bible, and which way you go just depends on how strong your faith is.
From a scientific standpoint the Bible is on the same level as Shakespeare's Julius Caesar in terms of proven history. We know that there was indeed a Julius Caesar that was the emperor of Rome who was betrayed by his council that stabbed him to death, just like how we know that there was indeed a race of people who are the ancestors of modern-day Jews that settled in the Palestine region and founded Jerusalem. But there exists no archaeological evidence for any of the details, either in Julius Caesar or the Bible. But you are correct in that t certainly cannot be said that the Bible is entirely fiction.
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com