Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General » Trainer's Court

Trainer's Court The Trainer's Court! Where the URPG hold it's trials.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-06-2011, 01:32 AM
TheEvilDookie's Avatar
TheEvilDookie Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,983
Send a message via AIM to TheEvilDookie Send a message via MSN to TheEvilDookie Send a message via Skype™ to TheEvilDookie
Default Reffing Proposal

Hi. I'll make this short n sweet because there's not much to say. With the abundance of new referees, I've come to the understanding that not all of them may be quite ready to ref more advance battles, such as the double battles rule of this week's WAR. To draw from a few examples, in one battle, a simple 3 or 4 turns took up to 20 minutes to complete. In another battle, the referee made several mistakes regarding the double battle style (including forgetting to reduce damage to multiple targets, and general anxiety because of the complication).

You may be thinking "Oh well maybe the battlers took too long to send, or maybe the moves were very complicated." To refute these possible claims, no, the moves were straight and simple, and the battlers did not take more than a minute or two to send each time. The problem lied with the referees and their lack of experience. In a way, these sort of situations were similar to new referees attempting to ref their first FFA: Slow, full of mistakes, and most of the battlers agitated in the end. And this brings me to the proposal:

Similar to how new refs are required to wait a month before reffing free for alls, I propose that we pick up the activity of our lovely ref testers and have them test the refs (some time after they've completed the initial test) so that they may be qualified for reffing double battles and FFAs. Also, with the addition of triple battles, and rotational battles soon around the corner, I believe a new test would fit well to prevent inadequate reffing being completed for said battle types.

I'm prepared to defend this proposal, so please, discuss.
__________________


^ Anastasia-R ^
Current VPP: Palkia > Level 100: 6987
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Mubz Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 86
Default Re: Reffing Proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEvilDookie View Post
Hi. I'll make this short n sweet because there's not much to say. With the abundance of new referees, I've come to the understanding that not all of them may be quite ready to ref more advance battles, such as the double battles rule of this week's WAR. To draw from a few examples, in one battle, a simple 3 or 4 turns took up to 20 minutes to complete. In another battle, the referee made several mistakes regarding the double battle style (including forgetting to reduce damage to multiple targets, and general anxiety because of the complication).

You may be thinking "Oh well maybe the battlers took too long to send, or maybe the moves were very complicated." To refute these possible claims, no, the moves were straight and simple, and the battlers did not take more than a minute or two to send each time. The problem lied with the referees and their lack of experience. In a way, these sort of situations were similar to new referees attempting to ref their first FFA: Slow, full of mistakes, and most of the battlers agitated in the end. And this brings me to the proposal:

Similar to how new refs are required to wait a month before reffing free for alls, I propose that we pick up the activity of our lovely ref testers and have them test the refs (some time after they've completed the initial test) so that they may be qualified for reffing double battles and FFAs. Also, with the addition of triple battles, and rotational battles soon around the corner, I believe a new test would fit well to prevent inadequate reffing being completed for said battle types.

I'm prepared to defend this proposal, so please, discuss.
Aww look at poor Teddy on his own on PE2K.....

Anyway, why not do that sort of test in the actual Ref Test to begin with rather than having to get a ref who is already qualified to ref to do another test?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-07-2011, 07:54 PM
-Pichu Boy-'s Avatar
-Pichu Boy- Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The land of tea and fish 'n' chips
Posts: 3,959
Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-
Default Re: Reffing Proposal

At first glance, Double Battles do seem easy, but to an unprepared ref, they're in for a hell of a ride. I completely agree that there should be some sort of testing to see whether people can handle a Double Battle or not. Whether it's in the initial test, or as a 'further-on' test, I definitely support this 100%

And yes, Mubz. Pe2k. Pe2k > BMG.
__________________
URPG | ASB
MK + Trainer17 = Evil twins | MK + Leo = BFFs
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-07-2011, 08:21 PM
LS's Avatar
LS Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tortuga
Posts: 5,042
Default Re: Reffing Proposal

ref testers take it too easy. plain and simple
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Spiderc's Avatar
Spiderc Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 629
Send a message via AIM to Spiderc
Default Re: Reffing Proposal

Seriously? I thought the point of the ref test was to make sure that people were ready to do ref any sort of battle, hence why I never took it. If people aren't ready to do one type of battling, maybe they shouldn't have their license in the first place. Mostly because it would just get too complicated to have a regular test, a double test, a triple test, a rotation test, and a FFA test.

Oh and Pe2k is infinitely better than that crap board.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 PM
TheEvilDookie's Avatar
TheEvilDookie Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,983
Send a message via AIM to TheEvilDookie Send a message via MSN to TheEvilDookie Send a message via Skype™ to TheEvilDookie
Default Re: Reffing Proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderc View Post
Seriously? I thought the point of the ref test was to make sure that people were ready to do ref any sort of battle, hence why I never took it. If people aren't ready to do one type of battling, maybe they shouldn't have their license in the first place. Mostly because it would just get too complicated to have a regular test, a double test, a triple test, a rotation test, and a FFA test.

Oh and Pe2k is infinitely better than that crap board.
Yes, that's what is generally believed, but when I took my test back in the good old days, each of my attempts were plain singles battles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubz View Post
Aww look at poor Teddy on his own on PE2K.....

Anyway, why not do that sort of test in the actual Ref Test to begin with rather than having to get a ref who is already qualified to ref to do another test?
Got a problem?

In addition to your idea, maybe like a checklist of some sort. If the ref passes the normal type of battle test, then they move onto the doubles. Then if they fail the doubles, then they can still ref normal battles and retry the doubles portion a week later.
__________________


^ Anastasia-R ^
Current VPP: Palkia > Level 100: 6987
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-08-2011, 01:15 AM
SiberianTiger's Avatar
SiberianTiger Offline
Ultra RPG Official
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Unlike you, the real world
Posts: 6,661
Send a message via AIM to SiberianTiger
Default Re: Reffing Proposal

If a ref tester (or any ref for that matter) feels that another ref isn't qualified to perform his job correctly you only need to contact a senior ref and we'd be happy to observe and if necessary retest the person.

This has happened on multiple occasions and up to this point has sufficed. I think the problem probably has more to do with your ref's lack of experience rather than their knowledge of reffing. However simple you may feel double battles are, even simple one cans be somewhat confusing for the first couple of attempts.

If you truly think the person isn't qualified just send the name to me or another senior ref and we'll look into it. As for systematically retesting everyone, I personally don't feel it's necessary.
__________________


URPG Stats Gone In Sixty Seconds
Legendary Traitor
[22:48] Zinata360: I got my avvie done
[22:49] Zinata360: May Norman, she'll eat your babies.
[22:49] TigerintheArk: Dude, that so fails. Doesn't fit at all.
[22:49] Zinata360: Fine, what should I make it say?
[22:49] Ultramr101: May Norman, she'll have your babies.
Ask Me To Ref

Last edited by SiberianTiger; 07-08-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-28-2011, 02:03 AM
Near's Avatar
Near Offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brawl, FC: 2492-4014-3553
Posts: 1,366
Send a message via AIM to Near Send a message via MSN to Near
Default Re: Reffing Proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberianTiger View Post
If a ref tester (or any ref for that matter) feels that another ref isn't qualified to perform his job correctly you only need to contact a senior ref and we'd be happy to observe and if necessary retest the person.

This has happened on multiple occasions and up to this point has sufficed. I think the problem probably has more to do with your ref's lack of experience rather than their knowledge of reffing. However simple you may feel double battles are, even simple one cans be somewhat confusing for the first couple of attempts.

If you truly think the person isn't qualified just send the name to me or another senior ref and we'll look into it. As for systematically retesting everyone, I personally don't feel it's necessary.
You only test single battles, wtf is the point of retesting if they **** up a double battle
__________________
Blue X Near



Click "Near" for my Stats, and "Blue" for BJ's Stats.

I WILL NOT BE ACTIVE FROM JUNE 24TH TILL JULY 2ND.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com