Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General » Trainer's Court

Trainer's Court The Trainer's Court! Where the URPG hold it's trials.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:32 AM
TheEvilDookie Offline

Send a message via AIM to TheEvilDookie Send a message via MSN to TheEvilDookie Send a message via Skype™ to TheEvilDookie
Default Reffing Proposal

Hi. I'll make this short n sweet because there's not much to say. With the abundance of new referees, I've come to the understanding that not all of them may be quite ready to ref more advance battles, such as the double battles rule of this week's WAR. To draw from a few examples, in one battle, a simple 3 or 4 turns took up to 20 minutes to complete. In another battle, the referee made several mistakes regarding the double battle style (including forgetting to reduce damage to multiple targets, and general anxiety because of the complication).

You may be thinking "Oh well maybe the battlers took too long to send, or maybe the moves were very complicated." To refute these possible claims, no, the moves were straight and simple, and the battlers did not take more than a minute or two to send each time. The problem lied with the referees and their lack of experience. In a way, these sort of situations were similar to new referees attempting to ref their first FFA: Slow, full of mistakes, and most of the battlers agitated in the end. And this brings me to the proposal:

Similar to how new refs are required to wait a month before reffing free for alls, I propose that we pick up the activity of our lovely ref testers and have them test the refs (some time after they've completed the initial test) so that they may be qualified for reffing double battles and FFAs. Also, with the addition of triple battles, and rotational battles soon around the corner, I believe a new test would fit well to prevent inadequate reffing being completed for said battle types.

I'm prepared to defend this proposal, so please, discuss.

^ Anastasia-R ^
Current VPP: Palkia > Level 100: 6987
Old 07-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Mubz Offline

Default Re: Reffing Proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEvilDookie View Post
Hi. I'll make this short n sweet because there's not much to say. With the abundance of new referees, I've come to the understanding that not all of them may be quite ready to ref more advance battles, such as the double battles rule of this week's WAR. To draw from a few examples, in one battle, a simple 3 or 4 turns took up to 20 minutes to complete. In another battle, the referee made several mistakes regarding the double battle style (including forgetting to reduce damage to multiple targets, and general anxiety because of the complication).

You may be thinking "Oh well maybe the battlers took too long to send, or maybe the moves were very complicated." To refute these possible claims, no, the moves were straight and simple, and the battlers did not take more than a minute or two to send each time. The problem lied with the referees and their lack of experience. In a way, these sort of situations were similar to new referees attempting to ref their first FFA: Slow, full of mistakes, and most of the battlers agitated in the end. And this brings me to the proposal:

Similar to how new refs are required to wait a month before reffing free for alls, I propose that we pick up the activity of our lovely ref testers and have them test the refs (some time after they've completed the initial test) so that they may be qualified for reffing double battles and FFAs. Also, with the addition of triple battles, and rotational battles soon around the corner, I believe a new test would fit well to prevent inadequate reffing being completed for said battle types.

I'm prepared to defend this proposal, so please, discuss.
Aww look at poor Teddy on his own on PE2K.....

Anyway, why not do that sort of test in the actual Ref Test to begin with rather than having to get a ref who is already qualified to ref to do another test?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:54 PM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-

At first glance, Double Battles do seem easy, but to an unprepared ref, they're in for a hell of a ride. I completely agree that there should be some sort of testing to see whether people can handle a Double Battle or not. Whether it's in the initial test, or as a 'further-on' test, I definitely support this 100%

And yes, Mubz. Pe2k. Pe2k > BMG.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:21 PM
LS Offline

ref testers take it too easy. plain and simple
Old 07-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Spiderc Offline

Send a message via AIM to Spiderc

Seriously? I thought the point of the ref test was to make sure that people were ready to do ref any sort of battle, hence why I never took it. If people aren't ready to do one type of battling, maybe they shouldn't have their license in the first place. Mostly because it would just get too complicated to have a regular test, a double test, a triple test, a rotation test, and a FFA test.

Oh and Pe2k is infinitely better than that crap board.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 PM
TheEvilDookie Offline

Send a message via AIM to TheEvilDookie Send a message via MSN to TheEvilDookie Send a message via Skype™ to TheEvilDookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderc View Post
Seriously? I thought the point of the ref test was to make sure that people were ready to do ref any sort of battle, hence why I never took it. If people aren't ready to do one type of battling, maybe they shouldn't have their license in the first place. Mostly because it would just get too complicated to have a regular test, a double test, a triple test, a rotation test, and a FFA test.

Oh and Pe2k is infinitely better than that crap board.
Yes, that's what is generally believed, but when I took my test back in the good old days, each of my attempts were plain singles battles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubz View Post
Aww look at poor Teddy on his own on PE2K.....

Anyway, why not do that sort of test in the actual Ref Test to begin with rather than having to get a ref who is already qualified to ref to do another test?
Got a problem?

In addition to your idea, maybe like a checklist of some sort. If the ref passes the normal type of battle test, then they move onto the doubles. Then if they fail the doubles, then they can still ref normal battles and retry the doubles portion a week later.

^ Anastasia-R ^
Current VPP: Palkia > Level 100: 6987
Old 07-08-2011, 01:15 AM
SiberianTiger Offline
Ultra RPG Official

Send a message via AIM to SiberianTiger

If a ref tester (or any ref for that matter) feels that another ref isn't qualified to perform his job correctly you only need to contact a senior ref and we'd be happy to observe and if necessary retest the person.

This has happened on multiple occasions and up to this point has sufficed. I think the problem probably has more to do with your ref's lack of experience rather than their knowledge of reffing. However simple you may feel double battles are, even simple one cans be somewhat confusing for the first couple of attempts.

If you truly think the person isn't qualified just send the name to me or another senior ref and we'll look into it. As for systematically retesting everyone, I personally don't feel it's necessary.

URPG Stats Gone In Sixty Seconds
Legendary Traitor
[22:48] Zinata360: I got my avvie done
[22:49] Zinata360: May Norman, she'll eat your babies.
[22:49] TigerintheArk: Dude, that so fails. Doesn't fit at all.
[22:49] Zinata360: Fine, what should I make it say?
[22:49] Ultramr101: May Norman, she'll have your babies.
Ask Me To Ref

Last edited by SiberianTiger; 07-08-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:03 AM
Near Offline

Send a message via AIM to Near Send a message via MSN to Near

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberianTiger View Post
If a ref tester (or any ref for that matter) feels that another ref isn't qualified to perform his job correctly you only need to contact a senior ref and we'd be happy to observe and if necessary retest the person.

This has happened on multiple occasions and up to this point has sufficed. I think the problem probably has more to do with your ref's lack of experience rather than their knowledge of reffing. However simple you may feel double battles are, even simple one cans be somewhat confusing for the first couple of attempts.

If you truly think the person isn't qualified just send the name to me or another senior ref and we'll look into it. As for systematically retesting everyone, I personally don't feel it's necessary.
You only test single battles, wtf is the point of retesting if they **** up a double battle

Click "Near" for my Stats, and "Blue" for BJ's Stats.

I WILL NOT BE ACTIVE FROM JUNE 24TH TILL JULY 2ND.