Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:15 PM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-
Default Lessening dependency on the Staff Board

I'd like to make this clear before I start, because I'm sure at least one person would assume this is what I'm suggesting:

I am not suggesting complete deletion of the Staff Boards. Infractions/warnings/bannings and everything should rightfully be kept out of the public eye.

However, I think quite a lot of stuff that is proposed in the Staff Board is more appropriate to have in the view of members. Some mods have even admitted to leaking stuff from the Staff Board, purely because it wasn't anything the members shouldn't hear. After all, without the members, there's no forum to be a mod of. They should be the main priority when any changes come into play.

I just think, to use the recent forum shake-up as an example, if this had been something the members had been involved in from the moment Paperfairy suggested it, there'd be a lot less distaste for it.

So, yeah. Just a suggestion. Comment/criticise/flame to your heart's content.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:57 PM
MoonKit Offline

Send a message via MSN to MoonKit
Default Re: Lessening dependency on the Staff Board

I agree with this. I admit, I leaked a few things about the staff boards to some members (Not a lot, just a small group) because it wasn't anything that they shouldn't know of. My sister even leaked my freaking password, but the members that got it only went on my account, looked at the index, went "Omg it ish true there is staff boards and creativez" and logged back onto their own accounts.

-Agreed-
Old 06-29-2011, 06:36 PM
paperfairy Offline

Send a message via AIM to paperfairy Send a message via Skype™ to paperfairy

While my knee jerk reaction is definitely "no", I think I'll let discussion continue before I fully weigh in.

Will always find their kind.
ASBL | twins with Jenn <3
Old 06-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

I agree, mainly because we are the members, and without us, you don't really have a forum to run ;) (I love the .[I][\I]. magicalness xD)

Anyway, to be serious, I think it is a brilliant idea. What is the problem in letting us know anything?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:09 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
I agree, mainly because we are the members, and without us, you don't really have a forum to run ;) (I love the .[I][\I]. magicalness xD)

Anyway, to be serious, I think it is a brilliant idea. What is the problem in letting us know anything?
It lessons the suspense. :/ With the ASB, I know that the Officials normally talk about stuff like new Event ideas, or things regarding to Gyms/Contests a few months before we release them. Hell, I'm writing up something about the Halloween Event now! xD So Officials discuss things and pick out the bugs before we release them, and when we do release them, it's epic! ♥u♥||| So yeah. If we'd discussed all that stuff publicly, it wouldn't be as OMFGPOW when they went live. You can't really understand where I'm/we're coming from unless you have first-hand experience. xD
Old 06-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Dr Robotnik Offline

As an admin of a site myself, I'll have to say that it's a lot more rewarding most of the time to surprise everyone with a new feature instead of everyone seeing you work out the bugs in it. And then too there are some things we don't want people to see until we're done with it. I'd say if it's something big and sitewide that affects a lot of people like the reorganizing apparently did, then maybe a thread outside the staff boards asking for feedback would be good, but otherwise it's just unnecessary.

My two cents; spend them where you will.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3m0d0ll View Post
It lessons the suspense. :/ With the ASB, I know that the Officials normally talk about stuff like new Event ideas, or things regarding to Gyms/Contests a few months before we release them. Hell, I'm writing up something about the Halloween Event now! xD So Officials discuss things and pick out the bugs before we release them, and when we do release them, it's epic! ♥u♥||| So yeah. If we'd discussed all that stuff publicly, it wouldn't be as OMFGPOW when they went live. You can't really understand where I'm/we're coming from unless you have first-hand experience. xD
Well, obviously the officials do not know how it is going to affect an ordinary member.

Think of it this way. Do you think it is right for your government to sneak behind your back like Nixon and the Watergate incident (extreme example, but think of it that way).

Yep, and judging by the poll for the recent forum layout change, it sure got a "OMFGPOW", didn't it? I think Prof. Geoffrey was so amazed he left.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Send a message via AIM to Etymology

I think it's fine to have ideas and discuss them extensively in the Staff Board away from the public eye, but I do agree that with such major changes, like the re-organisation of the boards, there should at least be a months worth of discussion before it actually occurs.

Eh. I'll form a proper opinion / post when I'm more focused on this.

Last edited by Etymology; 06-29-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelatini Jejunator View Post
I think it's fine to have ideas and discuss them extensively in the Staff Board away from the public eye, but I do agree that with such major changes, like the re-organisation of the boards, there should at least a months worth of discussion before it actually occurs.

Eh. I'll form a proper opinion / post when I'm more focused on this.
Thumbs uuuuuuup good sir. This, exactly.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Quote:
Thumbs uuuuuuup good sir. This, exactly.
That's pretty much exactly what I just said. =_=||
Quote:
Well, obviously the officials do not know how it is going to affect an ordinary member.

No, ****, dude. >_> I can't know for sure how a person will react to something, all I can do is try to create something that they will like and want to be a part of.
Quote:
Think of it this way. Do you think it is right for your government to sneak behind your back like Nixon and the Watergate incident (extreme example, but think of it that way).
Government and politics don't interest me, so I have no idea what you're talking about. But I can only assume that my Government was doing what it thought was best for the American people.

Is this subject going to be another one of those things that you b*tch about and treat other people with disrespect until you get your way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal sonic View Post
As an admin of a site myself, I'll have to say that it's a lot more rewarding most of the time to surprise everyone with a new feature instead of everyone seeing you work out the bugs in it. And then too there are some things we don't want people to see until we're done with it. I'd say if it's something big and sitewide that affects a lot of people like the reorganizing apparently did, then maybe a thread outside the staff boards asking for feedback would be good, but otherwise it's just unnecessary.

My two cents; spend them where you will.
This. Exactly this.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
That's pretty much exactly what I just said. =_=||

No, ****, dude. >_> I can't know for sure how a person will react to something, all I can do is try to create something that they will like and want to be a part of.
Government and politics don't interest me, so I have no idea what you're talking about. But I can only assume that my Government was doing what it thought was best for the American people.

Is this subject going to be another one of those things that you b*tch about and treat other people with disrespect until you get your way?

This. Exactly this.

No, because while you are starting to cuss and lose your cool, I am sitting here yawning and sipping on a coffee.

It can all be good if you let the members see large changes that will affect them.

No, Watergate was in no way good for the American people, and Nixon would have been the first and only impeached president had he not stepped down.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:06 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Quote:
No, because while you are starting to cuss and lose your cool, I am sitting here yawning and sipping on a coffee.

It can all be good if you let the members see large changes that will affect them.

No, Watergate was in no way good for the American people, and Nixon would have been the first and only impeached president had he not stepped down.
I'm not cussing because I'm pissed or irritated, but because I can. n___n The only thing that I'm annoyed at is that my microwave refuses to cook popcorn properly. >:|

Just Google'd 'Watergate'. Something about Nixon trying to cover up a break-in, or something. From what I read, it seems that Nixon was trying not to cause a nation-wide panic - trying to prevent the American people from thinking, "Someone came so close to breaking into the Watergate Complex?! Holy crap, what's next? The White House? The Pentagon?!" etc. What would you have wanted him to do, go on TV and say, "Some guys tried to break in to Watergate, don't panic."? That's like telling someone, "If you crash the car, we all die. No pressure." It just adds pressure. XD I can't say that I would've done the same thing that Nixon did, but I would've done something similar.

I didn't say that it was good for America, I just said, "I can only assume that my Government was doing what it thought was best for the American people." HUGE difference. The Mods thought that the re-design would be good for PE2K, and some feel that it wasn't, myself included.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I'm not cussing because I'm pissed or irritated, but because I can. n___n The only thing that I'm annoyed at is that my microwave refuses to cook popcorn properly. >:|
A) Incessant cursing is against forum policy.

B) How mature of you.

Quote:

Just Google'd 'Watergate'. Something about Nixon trying to cover up a break-in, or something. From what I read, it seems that Nixon was trying not to cause a nation-wide panic - trying to prevent the American people from thinking, "Someone came so close to breaking into the Watergate Complex?! Holy crap, what's next? The White House? The Pentagon?!" etc. What would you have wanted him to do, go on TV and say, "Some guys tried to break in to Watergate, don't panic."? That's like telling someone, "If you crash the car, we all die. No pressure." It just adds pressure. XD I can't say that I would've done the same thing that Nixon did, but I would've done something similar.
I wouldn't have done anything of the sort, for it cost him is presidency and made him look like a traitor.

Quote:

I didn't say that it was good for America, I just said, "I can only assume that my Government was doing what it thought was best for the American people." HUGE difference. The Mods thought that the re-design would be good for PE2K, and some feel that it wasn't, myself included.
Yes, but unlike the government, you can show us what you guys are planning without costing world peace.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons

Send a message via AIM to Shen Send a message via MSN to Shen Send a message via Yahoo to Shen Send a message via Skype™ to Shen

Quote:

You really think that this is in any way relatable to that incident? Honestly? Look, it is a massive change, and maybe we should have given a bit more of a heads-up about this, but it's not like we're going "Muahahaha, now we changed the forum and will ignore your disagreements forever, you must live with it or gtfo!" As Teo has CONSTANTLY said in the poll thread, just give the forum's new look a chance and let it continue for a little while, see if your opinion changes over a small amount of time.

I know that big changes should be told to new members after the proposition and working out of quite a few things before being executed, it helps reduce the possibility of a huge outcry upon being surprised with a ton of new and unfamiliar stuff, but other things deserve to stay in the Staff Boards because not everything that is proposed is accepted or liked even amongst the staff. And small things tend to lose their wow factor if told in advance to other members, so those things should stay where they currently are.

In other words...

Quote:
This I agree with. But only cause you said "large changes." Small changes or events, keep those hidden till announcement or execution.

Quote:
Yep, and judging by the poll for the recent forum layout change, it sure got a "OMFGPOW", didn't it? I think Prof. Geoffrey was so amazed he left.
Um...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Geoffrey View Post
As much as I hate to say this... I'm going to be inactive for a little while.

I love helping contribute to the forum, creating articles, handling MOTM, but lately, it's proven a bit of an overload on me. My senior year is coming up, and I know I won't have any time for PE2K with four AP courses. I need to study for an SAT coming up soon, and I can't really be here during the summer due to an internship I was offered and a few leadership positions in the marching band (I didn't make drum major. Dx) that will keep me busy all summer long. I was wanting to at least do a bunch of stuff this month, but I've got tons of standardized tests, final exams, and much more to prepare for.

So, unfortunately, even though this has been my home since August 2006, and I've grown up SO much with PE2K since then, I'm going to have to say goodbye for now. D:

~Professor Geoffrey, PMD, OG, PPhD, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Geoffrey View Post
Guess who's back? Temporarily.

Heard some drama about me... and the forum being reorganized. I'm furious. I'm frustrated. I hate it. I think the forum has lost its individuality, what really made it different.

However, as much as I want to leave it now (oh trust me, I've contemplated it), I am also mature enough to say that I also want to stay.
Prreeeeeetty sure he didn't just up and leave for something so stupid as a disagreement with the new forum layout. He's just busy. He did say he contemplated leaving over it, he decided to be more mature about it, obviously.

And also, PLEASE don't make this thread into another debate on the U.S. government. That doesn't even belong here, and it's rather uncouth to bring that kind of crap up in a discussion about the staff boards of a Pokémon forum. References, fine, full-on discussions or arguments, just no. So the next time you talk about maturity, please, remember to be mature about things yourself, and leave petty arguments behind.

Thank you, and have a nice day.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:47 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Quote:
A) Incessant cursing is against forum policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary.com
–adjective
continuing without interruption; ceaseless; unending: an incessant noise.
I think you mean excessive. xD And even so, it doesn't conform; I hardly consider two words (one of being completely *'d out) overdone. :P
Quote:
I wouldn't have done anything of the sort, for it cost him is presidency and made him look like a traitor.
Okay.
Quote:
Yes, but unlike the government, you can show us what you guys are planning without costing world peace.
Then don't use it as an example if it's so far from the point you're trying to make. xD