Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling » Rate My Team

Rate My Team Get your competitive battling team rated here and get help with movesets and battling strategies.

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 02:37 AM
Odyssey Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Odyssey
Default Hurt me if you can team.

This team is built to have very few weaknesses. There are only four; Grass, Dragon, Fire, Fighting.

Spiritomb

Ability: Pressure
Nature: Quiet
IVs: HP, DEF, SPATK, SPDEF, 28-31, while the ATK and SPD EVs do not really matter to me.
Item: ?
EVs: 252 SPATK, 86 HP, 86 DEF, 86 SPDEF
Moves:
Ominous Wind
Dark Pulse
Psychic
Confuse Ray

Spiritomb would primarily be a starter, depending on what he is facing he would Confuse Ray or try to Buff with Ominous Wind.

Swampert

Ability: Torrent
Nature: Adamant
IVs: HP, ATK, DEF, SPDEF, SPD 28-31, SPATK does not factor in.
EVs: 252 ATK, 252 HP
Item: Leftovers
Moves:
Earthquake
Waterfall
Toxic
Protect

Swampert will serve as a tank of sorts, try to kill with Earthquake or Waterfall, if this is not an effective way way try to poison and outlast the opponent.

Durant

Ability: Hustle
Nature:Jolly
IVs: HP, ATK, DEF, SPDEF, SPD are 28-31, SPATK does not factor.
EVs: 252 ATK, 252 SPD
Moves:
Hone Claws
X-Scissor
Iron Head
Stone Edge

If he can OHKO he will, other than that Hone Claws to gain attack and accuracy lost by Hustle, and basically tries to be a speedy physical attacker. Hustle, Hustle, Hustle!!!

Kingdra
Ability: Sniper
Nature: Timid
IVs: 28-31 HP, DEF, SPATK, SPDEF, SPD
EVs: 252 SPATK, 252 SPD
Moves:
Agility
Dragon Pulse
Ice Beam
Water Pulse

Agility for speed. Possible Razor Claw set to help with Sniper, or if I can get my hands on a Petaya berry to give it that boost in SPATK after and agility.

Porygon Z

Ability: Adaptability
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SPATK, 136 SPD, 122 HP
Item: Choice Scarf
Moves:
Tri Attack
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball

EVs and IVs set to get speed at 250, SPATK at 400, with Choice Scarf its 500 SPD, set to destroy.

Elektross
Ability: Levitate
IVs: 28-31 HP, ATK, DEF, SPATK, SPDEF, SPD
Item: Shell Bell
Moves:
Coil
Wild Charge
Crunch
U-Turn

Levitate to avoid ground, which means no weaknesses, good ATK, good DEF, SPDEF,and HP. Hopefully coil, to make him more of a tank. The Shell Bell is set to make up for some of the HP lost by Wild Charge. U-Turn there to get out of unfavorable match ups.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

Default Re: Hurt me if you can team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
This team is built to have very few weaknesses. There are only four; Grass, Dragon, Fire, Fighting.

Spiritomb

IVs: HP, DEF, SPATK, SPDEF, 28-31, while the ATK and SPD EVs do not really matter to me.
Moves:
Ominous Wind
Dark Pulse
Psychic
Confuse Ray

Spiritomb would primarily be a starter, depending on what he is facing he would Confuse Ray or try to Buff with Ominous Wind.

Swampert

Moves:
Earthquake
Waterfall
Toxic
Protect

Swampert will serve as a tank of sorts, try to kill with Earthquake or Waterfall, if this is not an effective way way try to poison and outlast the opponent.

Durant

Moves:
Hone Claws
X-Scissor
Iron Head
Stone Edge

If he can OHKO he will, other than that Hone Claws to gain attack and accuracy lost by Hustle, and basically tries to be a speedy physical attacker. Hustle, Hustle, Hustle!!!

Kingdra
Moves:
Agility
Dragon Pulse
Ice Beam
Water Pulse

Agility for speed. Possible Razor Claw set to help with Sniper, or if I can get my hands on a Petaya berry to give it that boost in SPATK after and agility.

Porygon Z

Moves:
Tri Attack
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball

EVs and IVs set to get speed at 250, SPATK at 400, with Choice Scarf its 500 SPD, set to destroy.

Elektross
Moves:
Coil
Wild Charge
Crunch
U-Turn

Levitate to avoid ground, which means no weaknesses, good ATK, good DEF, SPDEF,and HP. Hopefully coil, to make him more of a tank. The Shell Bell is set to make up for some of the HP lost by Wild Charge. U-Turn there to get out of unfavorable match ups.
-252HP/252ApAtt on Spiritomb, it's defences are decent but its HP is fail. Maxing it out will provide a larger boost to overall bulk than splitting the EVs. Will-O-Wisp over confuse Ray, burns are more helpful for a team reliant on resistences than temporary confusion. Shadow Ball over Ominous Wind, the odds of you getting a boost (or survivng long enough if all you're throwing out are base 60 attacks) are minimal. Hidden Power Fighting/Fire over Dark Pulse, dark and ghost moves have virtually identical coverage so having both is redundant.
-Swampert may be bulky, but it doesn't have the necessary walling capabilities to outright toxic stall. Roar over Protect for general utility, 252HP/252Def/6SpDef@Relaxed if you're determined to try it. Roar over Protect to stop yourself becoming setup bait.
-Life Orb for Durant's item. Consider Thunder Fang over Iron Head, it can provide you with a means of beating Skarmory.
-Life Orb on Kingdra, hax is too unreliable to bank on and it's a pretty sucky way to play anyway. Swift Swim as it's ability, rain teams are still very popular despite the drizzle/swiftswim combo ban so having a chance at an instant speed doubling will be far superior than the occasional boosted crit. Surf over Water Pulse and HP Fire over Ice Beam. Water Pulse has sucky damage and a sucky confusion rate, while HP Fire stops ferrothorn from laughing in your face.
-Max out Porygon's speed to avoid being revenge killed by faster scarfers, the increase in bulk is pointless too. Psycho Shock over Shadow Ball so that you can beat Chansey and Blissey.
-Leftovers over Shell Bell on Eelektross, it's consistent recovery is superior. Brick Break over U Turn. Eelektross is slow, if you do come into an unfavourable matchup you're only going to be outsped and mauled if you U-Turn rather than just switching. Dragon Claw would also be favourable over Crunch, but either option works.

It's a nice idea, but simply having few weaknesses isn't really enough for this concept to succeed. Most things hit way too hard now, whether it's the raw power of Shandera or Haxorous, old ubers like Salamence and Latios, or setup attackers like Excadrill and Thunderus. I'd recommend playtesting this team on Pokemon Online, before messing around with options which maximise resistences rather than simply having few weaknesses, because the aforementioned threats are quite capable of muscling through teams with neutral hits alone.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Viva la Gofre Offline

Quote:

Spiritomb

Moves:
Ominous Wind
Dark Pulse
Psychic
Confuse Ray

Swampert

Moves:
Earthquake
Waterfall
Toxic
Protect

Durant

Moves:
Hone Claws
X-Scissor
Iron Head
Stone Edge

Kingdra
Moves:
Agility
Dragon Pulse
Ice Beam
Water Pulse

Porygon Z

Moves:
Tri Attack
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball

Elektross
Moves:
Coil
Wild Charge
Crunch
U-Turn

-252HP/252ApAtt on Spiritomb, it's defences are decent but its HP is fail. Maxing it out will provide a larger boost to overall bulk than splitting the EVs. Will-O-Wisp over confuse Ray, burns are more helpful for a team reliant on resistences than temporary confusion. Shadow Ball over Ominous Wind, the odds of you getting a boost (or survivng long enough if all you're throwing out are base 60 attacks) are minimal. Hidden Power Fighting/Fire over Dark Pulse, dark and ghost moves have virtually identical coverage so having both is redundant.
-Swampert may be bulky, but it doesn't have the necessary walling capabilities to outright toxic stall. Roar over Protect for general utility, 252HP/252Def/6SpDef@Relaxed if you're determined to try it. Roar over Protect to stop yourself becoming setup bait.
-Life Orb for Durant's item. Consider Thunder Fang over Iron Head, it can provide you with a means of beating Skarmory.
-Life Orb on Kingdra, hax is too unreliable to bank on and it's a pretty sucky way to play anyway. Swift Swim as it's ability, rain teams are still very popular despite the drizzle/swiftswim combo ban so having a chance at an instant speed doubling will be far superior than the occasional boosted crit. Surf over Water Pulse and HP Fire over Ice Beam. Water Pulse has sucky damage and a sucky confusion rate, while HP Fire stops ferrothorn from laughing in your face.
-Max out Porygon's speed to avoid being revenge killed by faster scarfers, the increase in bulk is pointless too. Psycho Shock over Shadow Ball so that you can beat Chansey and Blissey.
-Leftovers over Shell Bell on Eelektross, it's consistent recovery is superior. Brick Break over U Turn. Eelektross is slow, if you do come into an unfavourable matchup you're only going to be outsped and mauled if you U-Turn rather than just switching. Dragon Claw would also be favourable over Crunch, but either option works.

It's a nice idea, but simply having few weaknesses isn't really enough for this concept to succeed. Most things hit way too hard now, whether it's the raw power of Shandera or Haxorous, old ubers like Salamence and Latios, or setup attackers like Excadrill and Thunderus. I'd recommend playtesting this team on Pokemon Online, before messing around with options which maximise resistences rather than simply having few weaknesses, because the aforementioned threats are quite capable of muscling through teams with neutral hits alone.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Odyssey Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post

I do believe I'll change the set up to Spiritomb more like how you mentioned, and the Swampert is a good point and probably will fail as a tank, Durant with Thunder Fang I do think would be effective but I already have two Pokemon with electric moves on the team and I'd rather have the stab from Iron Head.
I do, however, disagree with the razor claw being "hax" it's a luck item, either it helps significantly or it can totally screw you over, I typically hate the clauses people play by on these sites. However I am completely against the use of legendaries, there is a reason why they are considered that , they are set up with very high stats and awesome move pools, which is more consistent than luck and a reason why I do not understand why they are considered fair why possible using an item based on luck strategically paired with abilities or moves is considered cheap.
On Elektross I may just end up using Crunch and Dragon Claw and phase out the U-turn, and as long as I don't have another Pokemon with Leftovers he will defiantly be using them.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Odyssey Offline
Amateur Trainer

Oh! I forgot to mention thank you for the input and if you have anything else please do say.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline

Quote:
Swampert is a good point and probably will fail as a tank
It's not that swampert fails as a tank, it's that tanks fail at toxic-stalling. Toxic stalling demands that you can happily stay in on a pokemon for multiple turns while the toxic damage ramps up. This requires the defensive abilities of a wall, including very high stats and instant recovery. Tanks typically find a balance between offence and defence and usually lack recovery moves, which leaves them unsuited to this role.

Quote:
Durant with Thunder Fang I do think would be effective but I already have two Pokemon with electric moves on the team and I'd rather have the stab from Iron Head.
Fair enough.

Quote:
I do, however, disagree with the razor claw being "hax" it's a luck item, either it helps significantly or it can totally screw you over,
Hax is another word for luck, just a more gaming-orientated one. The principle remains the same, consistency is far superior to unlikely, but rewarding events like critical hits.

Quote:
I typically hate the clauses people play by on these sites. However I am completely against the use of legendaries, there is a reason why they are considered that , they are set up with very high stats and awesome move pools, which is more consistent than luck and a reason why I do not understand why they are considered fair why possible using an item based on luck strategically paired with abilities or moves is considered cheap.
Clauses are not the only defining feature of competitive play, tiering is. While a lot of legendaries may seem cheap at face value, all undergo extensive playtesting before they are regarded as fair and balanced enough to play with other pokemon. For example in the last generation, Latias went through about 8 months of testing and reviewing before it was finally determined to be safe to introduce to standard play. Conversely it is a possibility for non-legendaries to be banned, for example Garchomp was banned for the vast majority of 4th gen, probably only being legal for a year or so of the 4 years that DP was the active generation. Salamence similarly joined it in the last days of the generation as shifts in metagame revealed it to be broken.

Hax/Luck, on the other hand, acts completely independently of player skill. While legendaries such as Azelf can be powerful, the player still needs to know what they're doing at least marginally to cause problems with it in a balanced metagame. However it takes no skill to crit somebody after they've successfully forced you into a corner and amassed 6 boosts to a defence stat. Clauses and tiers are in effect to maximise the influence of the player's skill level and to minimise the role luck plays in a game. Legendaries can be governed by these principles, hax cannot. However we can eliminate the factors that increase hax in the form of clauses.

Quote:
On Elektross I may just end up using Crunch and Dragon Claw and phase out the U-turn,
Either go Brick Break/Crunch or Brick Break/Dragon Claw. The key to these offensive combos is that the types that resist Crunch and Dragon Claw (Dark, Fighting, and Steel) are hit for either Super Effective or neutral damage by Brick Break.

Quote:
and as long as I don't have another Pokemon with Leftovers he will defiantly be using them.
Is there a particular reason you're imposing this limit on yourself?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Odyssey Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post
It's not that swampert fails as a tank, it's that tanks fail at toxic-stalling. Toxic stalling demands that you can happily stay in on a pokemon for multiple turns while the toxic damage ramps up. This requires the defensive abilities of a wall, including very high stats and instant recovery. Tanks typically find a balance between offence and defence and usually lack recovery moves, which leaves them unsuited to this role.

Fair enough.

Hax is another word for luck, just a more gaming-orientated one. The principle remains the same, consistency is far superior to unlikely, but rewarding events like critical hits.

Clauses are not the only defining feature of competitive play, tiering is. While a lot of legendaries may seem cheap at face value, all undergo extensive playtesting before they are regarded as fair and balanced enough to play with other pokemon. For example in the last generation, Latias went through about 8 months of testing and reviewing before it was finally determined to be safe to introduce to standard play. Conversely it is a possibility for non-legendaries to be banned, for example Garchomp was banned for the vast majority of 4th gen, probably only being legal for a year or so of the 4 years that DP was the active generation. Salamence similarly joined it in the last days of the generation as shifts in metagame revealed it to be broken.

Hax/Luck, on the other hand, acts completely independently of player skill. While legendaries such as Azelf can be powerful, the player still needs to know what they're doing at least marginally to cause problems with it in a balanced metagame. However it takes no skill to crit somebody after they've successfully forced you into a corner and amassed 6 boosts to a defence stat. Clauses and tiers are in effect to maximise the influence of the player's skill level and to minimise the role luck plays in a game. Legendaries can be governed by these principles, hax cannot. However we can eliminate the factors that increase hax in the form of clauses.

Either go Brick Break/Crunch or Brick Break/Dragon Claw. The key to these offensive combos is that the types that resist Crunch and Dragon Claw (Dark, Fighting, and Steel) are hit for either Super Effective or neutral damage by Brick Break.

Is there a particular reason you're imposing this limit on yourself?
If the "hax" items are used strategically (such as paired with moves or abilities) I don't understand how they would be considered much different than an ability like Serene Grace that just increases the chances of the same things these items can influence. Like Bright Powdering a Garchomp in Sandstorm, I understand how it can be annoying to the opposing player but it would be a built in strategy, probably based on him sword dancing and hopefully sweeping. And the legendary thing is something I wouldn't do, I guess if other people want it's not a giant deal, I mean they must not be so amazing, for instance I have had a Persian sweep 3 legends on Battle Revo, and a Shuckle take out a Suicaine, Azelf, and Garchomp in the same battle.
Also touché on the Elektrike move set, and as far as the leftovers go, I have like sixteen on diamond but only one on my Black. Lol
Old 05-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Syas Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Syas Send a message via Yahoo to Syas

Quote:
If the "hax" items are used strategically (such as paired with moves or abilities) I don't understand how they would be considered much different than an ability like Serene Grace that just increases the chances of the same things these items can influence. Like Bright Powdering a Garchomp in Sandstorm, I understand how it can be annoying to the opposing player but it would be a built in strategy, probably based on him sword dancing and hopefully sweeping. And the legendary thing is something I wouldn't do, I guess if other people want it's not a giant deal, I mean they must not be so amazing, for instance I have had a Persian sweep 3 legends on Battle Revo, and a Shuckle take out a Suicaine, Azelf, and Garchomp in the same battle.
Also touché on the Elektrike move set, and as far as the leftovers go, I have like sixteen on diamond but only one on my Black. Lol
The issue with hax items is that one key to a competitive team is reliable results, hax items rely a little too much on luck to be reliable.

BW Friend Code: 1420 7304 0029
Closed Thread