Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling » Rate My Team

Rate My Team Get your competitive battling team rated here and get help with movesets and battling strategies.

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:34 AM
The pokemaster Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to The pokemaster Send a message via Skype™ to The pokemaster
Default Newbie RMT

Hi. I'm trying to get into competitive battling, it's still all really new to me though. My friend at school and I kinda doing it together, and I've been reading a bit on Smogon, so I know some of the terminology and roles and stuff, but nothing too complex. The team I kinda had in mind isn't really based on much, just as a kinda mixed team. It's lacking a sweeper though, so I was thinking of putting one in.

Any suggestions, critiques, anything like that welcome.

Whimsicott@Leftovers.
Bold
Prankster
12HP, 248Def, 248 Sp.Def
~Leech Seed
~Substitute
~Encore
~Taunt
My idea for this was kind of a sub-seeding, anti-setup lead, which I think it fills quite well. Prankster gives it priority for all of its moves; Substitute and Leech Seed are self explanatory, priority Taunt to mess up any attempt at a set-up, and priority Encore to lock Scarfers, or lock something like a Dancing TTar. Evs just to help keep the stall up, I felt it needed just that little bit of extra HP, so I gave it 12HP.

Swampert@Shed Shell
Relaxed
Torrent (Can't imagine Damp being too useful)
252HP, 252Def, 4Sp.Atk
~Earthquake
~Ice Beam
~Scald
~Stone Edge
Again, I think this guy is self-explanatory. A bulky mixed attacker, with great coverage, and being able to take a few good hits, while dishing it out. Shed Shell because I thought that I'd wanna switch out from anything with a decent Grass attack that came in, and Shed Shell ensures an escape.

Gardevoir@Leftovers
Calm
Trace
252HP, 4Def, 252Sp.Def
~Psychic
~Will-o-Wisp
~Wish
~Protect/Heal Bell
Wanted Gardevoir to be a support cleric, with maxed HP and Sp.Def to take a hit or two, and Will-o-Wisp to cripple any physical attacker that comes at me. Can't decide between Protect and Heal Bell though, as I can use Protect to stall out a turn to give Gardevoir a free Wish heal, or I can use Heal Bell to better support the party. Psychic's just in there since it's a 90 power STAB move.

Lucario@Life Orb
Jolly
Inner Focus
252Atk, 252Sp.Atk, 4 Speed
~Dragon Pulse
~Aura Sphere
~Extremespeed
~Earthquake
Another mixed attacker in Lucario, focusing on the offensive stats, kinda relying on it's Steel typing to cover a lot defensively. Dragon Pulse as a good, strong neutral special, STAB Aura Sphere covers everything that resists Dragon Pulse I think, and it's a strong, no miss move. Earthquake for a strong physical, and Extremespeed because of it's priority.

Zoroark@Brightpowder
Modest
Illusion
4HP, 252Sp.Atk, 252Spd
~Nasty Plot
~U-Turn
~Flamethrower
~Dark Pulse
I suppose this guy counts as a sweeper, but I just had evil mind games in mind. I don't really have anything that it could effectively disguise as like a Gengar or Infernape, but I get the Nasty Plot in, hopefully confuse them and make them switch to the Illusioned Pokemon counter, or they'll realised it's Zoroark and switch to a Zoro counter, but either way, I've still got a free Nasty Plot in to start sweeping with Flamethrower and Dark Pulse. Got U-Turn in there, even with Modest nature, so when they bring out something too much for my Zoro to handle, I can deal a little damage and bring out my own counter. Not too sure about him to be honest.

Drifblim@???
Modest
Aftermath
252HP, 100Def, 100Sp.Def, 56Sp.Atk
~Shadow Ball
~Stockpile
~Spit Up
~Swallow
I really have no idea about how well this guy would work. In my head, it kind of would work as a tank. Taking advantage of its high HP, maxing that while boosting Def and Sp.Def a little. Once I get a Stockpile or two in, I should have relatively good defences. The added advantage of this is I can turn the Stockpile into a Swallow for heal, or a Spit Up as a last resort attack. STAB Shadow Ball with Modest and 56Sp.Atk EVs just to do some damage.

Some serious doubts about this team, and it's still all theory, haven't tested it yet, but any suggestions etc. would be greatly appreciated. :)

^URPG Stats^
Banner/Avi by Blue Dragon of BMGf
Old 05-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

Default Re: Newbie RMT

-Max HP on Whimsicott, having large amounts of recovery from subseed is nice, but common practice against Whimsicott is to beat on it repeatedly with priority moves, and maxing HP provides more overall bulk than maxing out both defences. You can split the remaining EVs between the defences if you like, but Whimsicott isn't blessed with the greatest typing for taking special hits so maxing out Def may prove more useful. Don't overestimate it's ability as a lead, by the way. Whimsicott is essentially played as a one-trick pony, and no decent player will give you the opportunity to get the ball rolling. Between being able to pick your lead, the popular Taunt Thunderus, and the general offensive nature of the metagame, you're more likely to find yourself immediately being assaulted than you are with an opportunity to set yourself up. You're far better off employing it in the mid-late game to cause your opponents headaches.

-Get rid of Shed Shell on Swampert, that's just silly. It only takes a 5 second google search to see that no arena trap/shadow tag users have grass attacks at their disposal aside from Gothielle, who is only used on 0.5% of all teams. Leftovers please.

-Switch out Gardevoir for Blissey for wish support. In this new generation Wish heals 50% of the user's health, rather than 50% of the recipients. This means Blissey can pass gargantuan amounts of HP capable of recovering the majority of your team from 1% up to 100%.
Blissey@Leftovers
Bold
252HP/252Def/6SpDef
Wish
Protect/Softboiled
Seismic Toss
Toxic/Stealth Rock

Clerics are an outdated concept on anything but stall teams, especially in this metagame. If you want to avoid status, have blissey switch into it and shed it with Natural Cure. You have swampert to tank any physical hits that come your way, and the two can make quite a nice defensive core.

-Mixed Lucario sets still fail, just like they did last gen, and that set realllly doesn't help. No speed? On a sweeper? You'll get trashed by almost anything. You need a proper physical sweeper anyway, so I'd recommend going with a 4 attack life orb set;
Luke@Life Orb
Jolly
252Att/252Spe/6HP
Close Combat
Crunch
Ice Punch
ExtremeSpeed

CC and Crunch for STAB and neutral coverage, ESpeed for priority, Ice Punch for Gliscor and other quad weaks.

-Zoroak is highly overrated, the mindgames don't last very long when they start noticing changes in all of your pokes' HP. Plus you have nothing but Lucario off of whom Illusion can yield any positive results, and even then opponents may opt for throwing out neutral hits for scouting purposes. HP Fight or Focus Blast over U Turn. Theoretically at +2 you should be able to handle most threats, with the exception being faster attackers, something U-Turn offers no defence against. Maximising offensive coverage is more important.

-Drifblim looks like you've just thrown him in here for the lulz, I can't see how it adds anything to the team at all. Plus it's lack of offensive presence means that things will just set up in your face, and a +6 attacker will beat a +3 defender any day of the weak. That being said you do need a switch into fighting moves, so a choice scarf Chandelure could work nicely in this spot;

Chandelure@Choice Scarf
Timid (Flash Fire)
Fire Blast
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball
Hidden Power Fighting

Abuses the Fire and Fighting attacks aimed at Whimsicott and Lucario (And Blissey, if you take my earlier advice) and proceeds to throw out extremely powerful attacks. Makes a nice revenge killer for the team too.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

-Max HP on Whimsicott, having large amounts of recovery from subseed is nice, but common practice against Whimsicott is to beat on it repeatedly with priority moves, and maxing HP provides more overall bulk than maxing out both defences. You can split the remaining EVs between the defences if you like, but Whimsicott isn't blessed with the greatest typing for taking special hits so maxing out Def may prove more useful. Don't overestimate it's ability as a lead, by the way. Whimsicott is essentially played as a one-trick pony, and no decent player will give you the opportunity to get the ball rolling. Between being able to pick your lead, the popular Taunt Thunderus, and the general offensive nature of the metagame, you're more likely to find yourself immediately being assaulted than you are with an opportunity to set yourself up. You're far better off employing it in the mid-late game to cause your opponents headaches.

-Get rid of Shed Shell on Swampert, that's just silly. It only takes a 5 second google search to see that no arena trap/shadow tag users have grass attacks at their disposal aside from Gothielle, who is only used on 0.5% of all teams. Leftovers please.

-Switch out Gardevoir for Blissey for wish support. In this new generation Wish heals 50% of the user's health, rather than 50% of the recipients. This means Blissey can pass gargantuan amounts of HP capable of recovering the majority of your team from 1% up to 100%.
Blissey@Leftovers
Bold
252HP/252Def/6SpDef
Wish
Protect/Softboiled
Seismic Toss
Toxic/Stealth Rock

Clerics are an outdated concept on anything but stall teams, especially in this metagame. If you want to avoid status, have blissey switch into it and shed it with Natural Cure. You have swampert to tank any physical hits that come your way, and the two can make quite a nice defensive core.

-Mixed Lucario sets still fail, just like they did last gen, and that set realllly doesn't help. No speed? On a sweeper? You'll get trashed by almost anything. You need a proper physical sweeper anyway, so I'd recommend going with a 4 attack life orb set;
Luke@Life Orb
Jolly
252Att/252Spe/6HP
Close Combat
Crunch
Ice Punch
ExtremeSpeed

CC and Crunch for STAB and neutral coverage, ESpeed for priority, Ice Punch for Gliscor and other quad weaks.

-Zoroak is highly overrated, the mindgames don't last very long when they start noticing changes in all of your pokes' HP. Plus you have nothing but Lucario off of whom Illusion can yield any positive results, and even then opponents may opt for throwing out neutral hits for scouting purposes. HP Fight or Focus Blast over U Turn. Theoretically at +2 you should be able to handle most threats, with the exception being faster attackers, something U-Turn offers no defence against. Maximising offensive coverage is more important.

-Drifblim looks like you've just thrown him in here for the lulz, I can't see how it adds anything to the team at all. Plus it's lack of offensive presence means that things will just set up in your face, and a +6 attacker will beat a +3 defender any day of the week. That being said you do need a switch into fighting moves, so a choice scarf Chandelure could work nicely in this spot;

Chandelure@Choice Scarf
Timid (Flash Fire)
Fire Blast
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball
Hidden Power Fighting

Abuses the Fire and Fighting attacks aimed at Whimsicott and Lucario (And Blissey, if you take my earlier advice) and proceeds to throw out extremely powerful attacks. Makes a nice revenge killer for the team too.

Last edited by Viva la Gofre; 05-02-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:52 PM
The pokemaster Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to The pokemaster Send a message via Skype™ to The pokemaster

Alright, cheers for that. Gonna pretty much take all of your advice. Going to ditch Zoroark though, I think. I'm thinking like a Togekiss maybe, running something like;
Togekiss@Leftovers
Modest
Serene Grace
252Sp.Atk, 252Spd, 4HP
~Tailwind
~Psychic/Grass Knot.
~Air Slash
~Aura Sphere
This is kinda off the top of my head, I have no idea if it would work, but Togekiss has some some bulk so I'm thinking it would be able to pull of the Tailwind and sweep effectively, would that work?

And what should I lead with if you don't think Whimsicott?

^URPG Stats^
Banner/Avi by Blue Dragon of BMGf
Closed Thread