Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling » Rate My Team

Rate My Team Get your competitive battling team rated here and get help with movesets and battling strategies.

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 04:36 PM
WatchMeBeQuieter Offline
Elite Trainer

Default My First Competitive Team

Alright so until a month ago or so, I didn't know much about competitive Pokemon at all... but then I kind of got into it. Anyway, earlier today, I came up with this team, but it's my first ever and I still don't have too much experience in the actual competitive environment, so bear with me :P

Anyway here we go:

At a glance:
Tyranitar
Ferrothorn
Porygon2
Vaporeon
Excadrill
Gengar

In depth:

Tyranitar: Lead
Jolly/Sand Stream
Choice Scarf
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Def
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Crunch
Pursuit

He's really just there to get the sand moving. With a Choice Scarf, he outspeeds quite a bit; Pursuit is there in case I get a good early matchup. With STAB, that goes up to 120 and has KO potential if the opponent switches.
------
Ferrothorn: Support
Sassy/Iron Thorns
Leftovers
252 HP, 248 SpDef, 8 Def
Spikes
Stealth Rock
Gyro Ball
Power Whip/Explosion (suggestions would be nice)

Nothing too crazy here. Ferrothorn can take a hit like a boss, and the SR/Spikes combo is quite nice if I can set it up. Sassy nature is to increase the power of Gyro Ball as much as possible.
------
Porygon2: Universal Wall
Calm/Download
Eviolite
252 HP, 72 SpDef, 184 Def
Recover
Thunder Wave
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt

This thing does. not. die. I've used him on a team before and I'm just bringing him back because I love him so... Eviolite gives him a ridiculous defensive spread (My Porygon2 has 360 in HP, Def, and SpDef), and he can take a hit sooo well. Recover is also GREAT. Thunder Wave is there to cripple sweepers, and the offensive moves provide BoltBeam coverage. Porygon2 <3
------
Vaporeon: Team Mom
Bold/Water Absorb
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef
Leftovers
Surf
Wish
Protect
Ice Beam

In Gen V, Wish restores 1/2 of the USER'S health, not the receiver's. This means that with 252 HP EVs, Vaporeon can pass 232 HP Wishes, healing a HUGE amount of HP for any other Pokemon on this team. Protect is there if Vaporeon wants the wish herself... so yeah, the point of Vaporeon is to heal everyone else while she can, particularly Ferrothorn. She also functions as a decent special wall, and occasionally a physical wall as well.
------
Excadrill: Physical Sweeper
Adamant/Sand Rush
??? (need help here... considering Air Balloon but ehh)
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Rock Slide
X-Scissor

Swords Dance + 3 moves isn't exactly a novelty... but this little guy forms the crux of my team. Adamant nature gives him a ridiculous attack stat, and Sand Rush lets him outspeed pretty much everything with Sandstorm support. He should be very solid. I'm considering working a Rapid Spin on there, but I need some opinions on that.
------
Gengar: Special Sweeper/Fighting Absorber
Timid/Levitate
Life Orb (maybe; I also need help here)
252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 Def
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Psychic
Thunderbolt

Psychic is on there to deal with Fighting-type Pokemon, as my team DOES have a bit of a weakness to those guys... Ghost type helps here. I was thinking about giving him a pair of Choice Specs instead of a Life Orb, but I dunno. This guy is definitely a work in progress.
------
Alright so yeah. Comments? Criticism? Advice? Gimme everything!

...Come to think of it, I might swap Porygon2 for Dusclops, just because of my team's crippling fighting weakness. Thoughts on that?

Hork-Bajir . . . . Taxxon

Last edited by WatchMeBeQuieter; 04-19-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

Default Re: My First Competitive Team

-252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpDef@Relaxed on Ferrothorn for more balanced defences, something Ferrothorn excels at.
-Scald over Surf on Vaporeon, more latent damage from burns is always nice on a team this defensive.
-Jolly over Adamant on Excadrill, simply to outrun other Excadrill. It's one of the most popular threats at the moment, and can hurt a good number of your pokemon at the moment.

Aside from that, not a bad team. However I fail to see what Porygon 2 is achieving when Ferro and Vappy wall most things to oblivion between them, unless I'm missing something all I can see him doing is slowing the pace at which this team plays. I'd personally bring in something else that's more offensively oriented, more specifically a mixed sweeper that can effectively clear Excadrill's counters, given the ease at which he can sweep if the opponent lacks a fully-fledged counter to him.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline

-252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpDef@Relaxed on Ferrothorn for more balanced defences, something Ferrothorn excels at.
-Scald over Surf on Vaporeon, more latent damage from burns is always nice on a team this defensive.
-Jolly over Adamant on Excadrill, simply to outrun other Excadrill. It's one of the most popular threats at the moment, and can hurt a good number of your pokemon at the moment.

Aside from that, not a bad team. However I fail to see what Porygon 2 is achieving when Ferro and Vappy wall most things to oblivion between them, unless I'm missing something all I can see him doing is slowing the pace at which this team plays. I'd personally bring in something else that's more offensively oriented, more specifically a mixed sweeper that can effectively clear Excadrill's counters, given the ease at which he can sweep if the opponent lacks a fully-fledged counter to him.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:54 AM
WatchMeBeQuieter Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post
Ooh I hadn't thought about Scald. I like that; the chance of burn is enticing.

As for Ferrothorn, I thought I had the EVs right, but now that I've double-checked them, I can see that I made a mistake xP Thanks for that.

Haha I also hadn't thought about the threat of other Excadrills... good point, I'll do that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post
Yeah I loved the idea of Eviolite on Porygon2 at first, but with Ferrothorn and Vaporeon, you're right. I don't need another defensive Pokemon.

What do you think of Infernape in Porygon2's place?

Naive/Blaze
Life Orb
252 Spe, 126 Atk, 130 SpAtk
Stone Edge
Flamethrower
Close Combat
Grass Knot

Last edited by WatchMeBeQuieter; 04-20-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Viva la Gofre Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchMeBeQuieter View Post
Ooh I hadn't thought about Scald. I like that; the chance of burn is enticing.

As for Ferrothorn, I thought I had the EVs right, but now that I've double-checked them, I can see that I made a mistake xP Thanks for that.

Haha I also hadn't thought about the threat of other Excadrills... good point, I'll do that too.

Yeah I loved the idea of Eviolite on Porygon2 at first, but with Ferrothorn and Vaporeon, you're right. I don't need another defensive Pokemon.

What do you think of Infernape in Porygon2's place?

Naive/Blaze
Life Orb
252 Spe, 126 Atk, 130 SpAtk
Stone Edge
Flamethrower
Close Combat
Grass Knot
Infernape's a good choice, but a set leaning heavily on the special side would be more appropriate;

Infernape@Life Orb
Naive
252SpAtt/252Spd/6Att
Close Combat
Fire Blast
Grass Knot
Hidden Power [Ice]

With maxed SpAtt, you have a chance of OHKOing a max HP Hippowdon with grass knot, who could otherwise tank a hit from a +2 Excadrill and KO with Earthquake. HP Ice for Gliscor, who is a royal nightmare now it's got Poison Heal, and OHKOs it easily. Fire Blast for STAB and Steels, and chosen over flamethrower to better kill specially-oriented Skarmory, who are quite popular this gen. Then Close Combat for physical STAB, of course. Try using him to clear Excadrill's threats, see how you get on [=
Old 04-20-2011, 04:18 PM
WatchMeBeQuieter Offline
Elite Trainer

Sweet, thanks. That looks good, I appreciate the help :D

Closed Thread