Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling » Rate My Team

Rate My Team Get your competitive battling team rated here and get help with movesets and battling strategies.

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:58 AM
plaire Offline
New Trainer

Red face Old Lady Trying to Build Team After 5 Years' Absence

This post has been updated since initial comments.

This team is being built in Pokemon Black. It will be used for wi-fi battles and the GL. I haven't built a competitive team in a few years, so I need LOTS of help.

I am currently trying to figure out my team and movesets and then will determine natures, IVs, and EV-training.

I only have 5 Pokemon listed because I want suggestions on how to round out my team. Along with the usual info, I have included the role I intend the Pokemon to play so you can tell me if I'm failing. ^_^ I am also clueless when it comes to items.

Thanks for the help!

Mandibuzz@ <- Open to alt. shufflers
Function: Shuffler
Nature: ?
EV: ?
Ability: Big Pecks
Toxic
Whirlwind
Roost
Brave Bird/Aerial Ace

Scrafty@
Function: Tank
Ability: Shed Skin
High Jump Kick
Crunch
Protect/Substitute
Toxic

Eelektross@ NONE if Wild Charge is being used
Function: Sweeper
Ability: Levitate
T-Bolt/Wild Charge
Crunch/Grass Knot
Acrobatics/Grass Knot
Coil

Darmanitan@
Function: Sweeper
Ability: Sheer Force, NOT Zen Mode
Fire Punch
Hammer Arm
Earthquake
U-Turn/Belly Drum/Stone Edge

Ferrothorn@ <- Open to annoyer suggestions
Function: Annoyer
Ability: Iron Barbs
Leech Seed
Toxic
Protect
Gyro Ball

Thoughts on the 6th Pokemon: A healer, hazer, or powerhouse tank, perhaps? (I'm dying to try out Tornadus when I catch it.)[/spoiler]

Last edited by plaire; 03-22-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: updating
Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 AM
Badal Offline

Send a message via AIM to Badal
Default Re: Old Lady Trying to Build Team After 5 Years' Absence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Format

Format

Name@Item
Ability: Name of Ability
Nature: Name of Nature (+stat, -stat)
EV:
- move1
- move2
- move3
- move4

So I'd suggest adding the particular EVs to your Pokémon so we can rate it better.

If you're unaware what EV's are (considering from how you've described stuff so far I'm assuming you know) you should read this

Good Luck!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badal View Post
So I'd suggest adding the particular EVs to your Pokémon so we can rate it better.

If you're unaware what EV's are (considering from how you've described stuff so far I'm assuming you know) you should read this

Good Luck!
She's said it's her in-game team, she won't know the EVs. Plus DSL's just stickied a new EV guide for this forum, the one I wrote =P
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...d.php?t=111992

But yeah, unfortunately you're going to have to start again OP if you want to re-enter the world of competitive battling. Wifi teams are dependent on being bred for IVs and natures and trained for the correct EVs, but as an in-game yours will not have this. For example as a wall Mandibuzz has no need for the speed boost, and Serperior's Adamant nature makes grass knot even weaker. Finish the game using whatever team you like, then build a wifi team which is well thought out and can stand up to the rigours of competitive play rather than simply trying to adapt the 6 random mons you caught while you beat the gyms. Follow the link Badal gave for the basics to competitive play, then when you're read follow my link to learn how to EV train. I'll also be writing a guide for IVs and nature breeding too, which should be up by the end of the week.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:18 AM
The pokemaster Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to The pokemaster Send a message via Skype™ to The pokemaster

Pretty much what these peoples are saying, hard to critique on what you should use without IVs or Natures.

One thing I will say though is that you might consider Ferrothorn over Serperior. It can use the same moves, but can take more of a beating, at the cost of Serperior's decent speed.

^URPG Stats^
Banner/Avi by Blue Dragon of BMGf
Old 03-22-2011, 07:32 PM
plaire Offline
New Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The pokemaster View Post
Pretty much what these peoples are saying, hard to critique on what you should use without IVs or Natures.

One thing I will say though is that you might consider Ferrothorn over Serperior. It can use the same moves, but can take more of a beating, at the cost of Serperior's decent speed.
Ok then. I am trying to figure out what team I want for competitive battline sooner rather than later. I'll EV train according to what suggestions are given here, because I've never done EV-training from ground zero before. (I always used netbattle for competitive battling. When I competitively battled before, there was no wi-fi for the games.)

So here I am, tell me what to raise. I'll adjust my first post according to what I want to do and what I need. I like my team other than Serperior and maybe Mandibuzz (but will hatch a new ones for nature, IVs, and EV-training.) So can you all help me with the team and movesets first, and then I'll figure out what natures/EVs/IVs to aim for? Or is that the incorrect order of things?

*is being needy*

EDIT: Oh one more question. Gofre, you said I'll have to "start again OP." What does OP mean? :D

Last edited by plaire; 03-22-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaire View Post
Ok then. I am trying to figure out what team I want for competitive battline sooner rather than later. I'll EV train according to what suggestions are given here, because I've never done EV-training from ground zero before. (I always used netbattle for competitive battling. When I competitively battled before, there was no wi-fi for the games.)

So here I am, tell me what to raise. I'll adjust my first post according to what I want to do and what I need. I like my team other than Serperior and maybe Mandibuzz (but will hatch a new ones for nature, IVs, and EV-training.) So can you all help me with the team and movesets first, and then I'll figure out what natures/EVs/IVs to aim for? Or is that the incorrect order of things?

*is being needy*

EDIT: Oh one more question. Gofre, you said I'll have to "start again OP." What does OP mean? :D
He means start from scratch, three of your pokemon have toxic. Its a great move but not needed that much . I personally think you should aim for a different lead. Your team is lacking ice moves, and sr being set up. There are a ton of dragons around now so you should get something quick to counter them.
Ferrothorn should be given stealth rock.

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 03-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline

OP= Original Poster, the thread starter [=
Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 PM
plaire Offline
New Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post
OP= Original Poster, the thread starter [=
OH that makes sense. I was thinking, "One Player? That doesn't make sense." Haha.

Dark Shadow Lord - Yeah, I got PWNed by Stealth Rock on Pokemon Online so I figured I'd better add it to my team. ^_^ But what's the general opinion on Spikes vs. Stealth Rock? Being Rock, Stealth Rock will damage flying types, but it's also dependent on type for damage.

Oh, and how would I chain breed both stealth rock AND leech seed onto ferroseed?

Last edited by plaire; 03-23-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:07 AM
Viva la Gofre Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaire View Post
OH that makes sense. I was thinking, "One Player? That doesn't make sense." Haha.

Dark Shadow Lord - Yeah, I got PWNed by Stealth Rock on Pokemon Online so I figured I'd better add it to my team. ^_^ But what's the general opinion on Spikes vs. Stealth Rock? Being Rock, Stealth Rock will damage flying types, but it's also dependent on type for damage.

Oh, and how would I chain breed both stealth rock AND leech seed onto ferroseed?
Stealth Rock is usually considered superior for it's one turn setup. Spikes has a higher damage output after just two layers (Unless the opponent is rock weak), but that obviously takes multiple turns and is ignored entirely by flyers. The consistency of SR generally makes it the more preferable option.

Not sure on the breeding front though =P
Closed Thread