Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Alonso Offline

Send a message via AIM to Alonso
Default Re: Wikileaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Lucario View Post
If you distribute stolen information you are in as much fault as the thief who has stolen it. Its the same as driving a stolen vehicle, you still go to jaileven if you didn't steal it. The reason why Wikileaks is under fire right now is because they can receive charges of espionage and threatening the security of several countries because it is distributing that information and even grabbing some of that information themselves.

If stealing classified information and distributing it out to the public isn't espionage what else could it possibly be? You could argue that its journalism but then again thats like saying they stole information just so that the world can know about it. Ultimately the information was classified and stored in a secure location. Someone(Wikileaks itself or a source for the site) broke in that secure location either digitally or physically and stole the information and then gave it to a distributor(Wikileaks) or kept it for themselves to distribute. The fact that they stole the data makes it a crime.
Well that may be your opinion but what the Supreme Court said stands. WikiLeaks is not committing a crime. You may not like it, you may not agree with it, but that's how it is...at least for now.

Although your example of the stolen vehicle proves a point, a vehicle and information are two completely different things.

And they did distribute the information so the world can know. What can I, Wikileaks or anyone honestly do with the information? Build a nuke? No. I can't do anything dangerous with the information provided on their website. If they are doing anything, it's being transparent.

The only "criminal" here would be the guy who gave it to WikiLeaks. If you are going to take this any further, why don't you prosecute every news organization that has ever published stolen classified information? Exactly... you wouldn't.
Go to the Anime section

Old 01-19-2011, 03:09 AM
Blood Red Lucario Offline

Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Lucario Send a message via Yahoo to Blood Red Lucario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
Well that may be your opinion but what the Supreme Court said stands. WikiLeaks is not committing a crime. You may not like it, you may not agree with it, but that's how it is...at least for now.

Although your example of the stolen vehicle proves a point, a vehicle and information are two completely different things.

And they did distribute the information so the world can know. What can I, Wikileaks or anyone honestly do with the information? Build a nuke? No. I can't do anything dangerous with the information provided on their website. If they are doing anything, it's being transparent.

The only "criminal" here would be the guy who gave it to WikiLeaks. If you are going to take this any further, why don't you prosecute every news organization that has ever published stolen classified information? Exactly... you wouldn't.
Bring up a source where it directly quotes the supreme court saying Wikileaks is clear for its alleged crime and I will completely agree with you. I can't just go along with hearsay about an interpretation of the law by the supreme court.

My opinion on this issue isn't even closely related to what I have posted.

The "guy" who gave it to Wikileaks happens to be one of the founding members. It's his site. Not only did he steal but he was transparent in the fact that he stole it.

And classified information is classified for a reason. It's illegal to reveal classified information whether you are in or out of the country said information is classified. Giving it away because the "world needs to know" is still a crime. If a soldier has classified information and decides he will tell the whole world about it he goes to jail because he broke the law.

Not only would it take an extensive amount of research to find sources for these news organizations and then consider statutes of limitations on the stolen information but prosecuting qualified licensed individuals who are paid to distribute information is completely different from jumping a free lance website that gets its information from thieves.

Absol Hatches: 27 Level 100: 312

All credit goes to Knightblazer
URPG

Last edited by Blood Red Lucario; 01-19-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:03 AM
Alonso Offline

Quote:
Bring up a source where it directly quotes the supreme court saying Wikileaks is clear for its alleged crime and I will completely agree with you. I can't just go along with hearsay about an interpretation of the law by the supreme court.

My opinion on this issue isn't even closely related to what I have posted.

The "guy" who gave it to Wikileaks happens to be one of the founding members. It's his site. Not only did he steal but he was transparent in the fact that he stole it.

And classified information is classified for a reason. It's illegal to reveal classified information whether you are in or out of the country said information is classified. Giving it away because the "world needs to know" is still a crime. If a soldier has classified information and decides he will tell the whole world about it he goes to jail because he broke the law.

Not only would it take an extensive amount of research to find sources for these news organizations and then consider statutes of limitations on the stolen information but prosecuting qualified licensed individuals who are paid to distribute information is completely different from jumping a free lance website that gets its information from thieves.
First, Bradley Manning is a founder of WikiLeaks? Excuse me, what?

Second, The Guardian, Le Monde, El País, Der Spiegel and The New York Times have all of the embassy cables in their possession as well but I don't see them being criticized for any of this. They, along with Wikileaks, were the first to publish the first embassy cables. They are as much in this as WikiLeaks.

Third, from what I understand from New York Times Co. v. United States, it would favor WikiLeaks.
Go to the Anime section

Old 01-19-2011, 12:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Lucario Send a message via Yahoo to Blood Red Lucario

Quote:
First, Bradley Manning is a founder of WikiLeaks? Excuse me, what?

Second, The Guardian, Le Monde, El País, Der Spiegel and The New York Times have all of the embassy cables in their possession as well but I don't see them being criticized for any of this. They, along with Wikileaks, were the first to publish the first embassy cables. They are as much in this as WikiLeaks.

Third, from what I understand from New York Times Co. v. United States, it would favor WikiLeaks.
Wikileaks isn't a licensed news industry though. The New York Times are licensed and therefore have the backing of "freedom of the press". Wikileaks can't sport that because they aren't licensed so even though the New York Times have published embassy cables just like Wikileaks the New York Times is registered as the press.

I'm not even refering to Bradley Manning. I''m referring to Julian Assange.

URPG

Last edited by Blood Red Lucario; 01-20-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Platinum Lucario Offline

Send a message via ICQ to Platinum Lucario Send a message via AIM to Platinum Lucario Send a message via MSN to Platinum Lucario Send a message via Yahoo to Platinum Lucario Send a message via Skype™ to Platinum Lucario

Ah... Julian Assange, founder of the website known as "Wikileaks". This great guy has worked so much towards trying to bring in the freedom of speech and leak all the documents that the politicians hide away from the public to see. The USA politicians hide away those documents because do not want the public to ever know of the bad things they've done, they want to make everyone think they're done nothing horrible, because they're worried they might not be on top of the world anymore, and not only that... but they want the big buisnesses to keep going... but those buisnesses that are controling them are very greedy and want things done their way, it makes me think of that movie "Food Inc." that I watched not long ago, where it explains the way they force the animals feed off corn or manure instead of their natural food before getting slaughted.

But yeah... Julian Assange has helped so much in leaking the documents so that the whole public will discover the shocking truth in the US politicians. And because of this... now the politicians really want to hunt Julian Assange down... they want him dead just because he leaked their secret plans. They're jellious because of this, they want to hide all those things... just like any criminal would, it's even scarier when it's a politician, because they have control. And exactly... why should the human race be a slavery to money? It's not going to solve anything, it doesn't matter how rich someone is... everyone is different in their own way... and when a person is rich... it could be a bad person, I'm not saying it always happens, but they plan on what to do to help the huge greedy buisnesses improve and do more damage to our good ol' Planet Earth... it's really sad. This is why... everyone must have freedom to do whatever they wish as long as it's not attacking someone. Huge companies can backstab people when they really want to, and take control of politicians... especially the ones that end up getting their brain twisted. I know... it's horrible, this is why we're still not out of the woods yet of being under control. D:

Prahaps I'm a bit lucky to live in Australia where we don't have death sentences here. I feel sorry for the people in US that have been put under so much stress and gets really rough up there. D:

~Davin (aka Platinum Lucario)

Last edited by Platinum Lucario; 01-20-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:10 AM
Exon Auxus Offline

Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum Lucario View Post
Ah... Julian Assange, founder of the website known as "Wikileaks". This great guy has worked so much towards trying to bring in the freedom of speech and leak all the documents that the politicians hide away from the public to see. The USA politicians hide away those documents because do not want the public to ever know of the bad things they've done, they want to make everyone think they're done nothing horrible, because they're worried they might not be on top of the world anymore, and not only that... but they want the big buisnesses to keep going... but those buisnesses that are controling them are very greedy and want things done their way, it makes me think of that movie "Food Inc." that I watched not long ago, where it explains the way they force the animals feed off corn or manure instead of their natural food before getting slaughted.

But yeah... Julian Assange has helped so much in leaking the documents so that the whole public will discover the shocking truth in the US politicians. And because of this... now the politicians really want to hunt Julian Assange down... they want him dead just because he leaked their secret plans. They're jellious because of this, they want to hide all those things... just like any criminal would, it's even scarier when it's a politician, because they have control. And exactly... why should the human race be a slavery to money? It's not going to solve anything, it doesn't matter how rich someone is... everyone is different in their own way... and when a person is rich... it could be a bad person, I'm not saying it always happens, but they plan on what to do to help the huge greedy buisnesses improve and do more damage to our good ol' Planet Earth... it's really sad. This is why... everyone must have freedom to do whatever they wish as long as it's not attacking someone. Huge companies can backstab people when they really want to, and take control of politicians... especially the ones that end up getting their brain twisted. I know... it's horrible, this is why we're still not out of the woods yet of being under control. D:

Prahaps I'm a bit lucky to live in Australia where we don't have death sentences here. I feel sorry for the people in US that have been put under so much stress and gets really rough up there. D:

Lol. Where to start...

You're making some pretty wild generalizations and blatant fallacies. First, the government must keep at least some secrets about some of its dealings. To be quite honest, I doubt you'll ever find any legitimate government that tells the entire public everything that's being done and the means that that governments plans to use to achieve its goals. It's downright foolish.

And politicians are not evil villains, although you're really making it seem like that (you blew me out of my chair laughing though, I'll give ya that). Granted some are not trustworthy, but that's chiefly based on greed from implication of various lobbying offers and bribes - and even then not all politicians go that route. Furthermore, by exposing secret government information, this gentlemen is not exercising freedom of speech for a number of reasons. If I remember correctly, he isn't a US citizen, therefore we can argue that he technically doesn't even have that freedom of speech. So that knocks out that whole thesis altogether. Freedom of speech or not, he stole government-owned property and redistributed it to the public. Not only is that a basic crime of stealing, but now it's espionage, making him a criminal (even though he already was before).

Furthermore, politicians are not "on top of the world" and they do not necessarily "control" us. If you research the U.S. political system, you will find that there exists an organized and fortified collection of interlinked governmental bodies held together by checks and balances and molded by separation of powers. Whether or not that system is successful or "good" is arguable and irrelevant. Nonetheless, I think it's a bit farfetched to generalize that all of these politicians are secretly storing away pounds of information sheerly because of their desire for increased wealth and power (which is already limited for them anyway). Although it can be true to an extent, a gross generalization like that is obviously just completely wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum Lucario
And exactly... why should the human race be a slavery to money? It's not going to solve anything, it doesn't matter how rich someone is... everyone is different in their own way... and when a person is rich... it could be a bad person, I'm not saying it always happens, but they plan on what to do to help the huge greedy buisnesses improve and do more damage to our good ol' Planet Earth... it's really sad.
Wow. Well in this collection of mispellings and comma splices I noticed you said that the wealthy are often inclined to help "huge greedy businesses" do damage to Earth. I encourage you to research some of the top businesses that have origins in the U.S. Not every person or economic entity is corrupt and wants to "damage our good ol' Planet Earth", and I think recognizing that is critical toward understanding and discussing any political or socioeconomic system.

So now that this irrelevancy is debunked, back to the discussion lol?
Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum Lucario View Post

Sigh, I do not enjoy Exon Auxus' sarcasm, lack of respect, and utter disregard for opinion, but I will not disagree with the points he is making.

Governments deserve secrecy because despite the wrong-doings they may or may not do, they are doing things to protect the people. Okay, that does sound blind, but it is the truth. The people of America are not as clueless as foreigners like to think they are. I am German, and I respect Americans for what they are, a superpower that participates in "peacekeeping" actions.

If a government leaked every single classified document, there would be no government. It would simply be anarchy, and the enemies of the country could use it as a way in. Classified documents are classified for the protection of the people, the country, security, and the politician's asses. Despite the fact that you view the American government as a sinister crime syndicate, I would like to ask you how much you know of your Australian government.

The death penalty is very rare to see in the United States nowadays. Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wyoming possess such laws, but those laws are NOT thrown around willynilly. More probably, Julian Assange will find himself in Guantanamo Bay or a maximum security prison if found guilty (was he found guilty?).

Think of money as points. The more successful a person is at life, the more points he gains. The more points he gains, the more power he has. The more power he has, the more control he has. Money controls everything, get over it.

Simply put, fools who believe in conspiracy theories and in a completely "open" government are entitled to their opinion, but there is only a minuscule minority that turn out to be correct.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 01-22-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Alonso Offline

Quote:
Wikileaks isn't a licensed news industry though. The New York Times are licensed and therefore have the backing of "freedom of the press". Wikileaks can't sport that because they aren't licensed so even though the New York Times have published embassy cables just like Wikileaks the New York Times is registered as the press.

I'm not even refering to Bradley Manning. I''m referring to Julian Assange.
Then you have no argument. Assange didn't steal those documents, Bradley Manning did. Thus Wikileaks did not commit a crime, Manning did.

They have the backing of both Freedom of the Press and Freedom of Speech. Don't give me this "you have to be licensed" crap.

Some definitions for you:

Journalism is the practice of investigation and reporting of events, issues, and trends to a broad audience. (Which is what Wikileaks is doing)

Freedom of the press is the freedom of communication and expression through vehicles including various electronic media and published materials.

Freedom of speech is the freedom to speak freely without censorship or limitation, or both.

And these Freedoms exist in both the US Constitution and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Stop trying to create hate towards an organization that is finally trying to bring the light out and stop defending the real criminals that dwell in DC.
Go to the Anime section

Old 01-23-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Then you have no argument. Assange didn't steal those documents, Bradley Manning did. Thus Wikileaks did not commit a crime, Manning did.

They have the backing of both Freedom of the Press and Freedom of Speech. Don't give me this "you have to be licensed" crap.

Journalism is the practice of investigation and reporting of events, issues, and trends to a broad audience. (Which is what Wikileaks is doing)

Freedom of the press is the freedom of communication and expression through vehicles including various electronic media and published materials.

Freedom of speech is the freedom to speak freely without censorship or limitation, or both.

And these Freedoms exist in both the US Constitution and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Stop trying to create hate towards an organization that is finally trying to bring the light out and stop defending the real criminals that dwell in DC.
I am sorry, but quite frankly, according to U.S law... You do need a licence to cover your ass for releasing confidential material.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Time Magazine (A registered news distributor) would beg to differ about Julian Assange. Go to your closest newspaper stand and read the January 2011 eleven issue if you don't want to believe me. :X

Stop assuming I'm trying to create hate towards them. I actually like the idea. Just like how I liked Robin Hood stealing from the rich and giving it to the needy(I know he's fictional). But Robin Hood is a thief no matter how you look at it so despite their noble cause Wikileaks is just as much a criminal as Robin Hood is.

Stop disregarding law. You wanna know why a journalist can get access to things regular citizens can't? Because he has a press pass given to him from his news organization that grants him certain freedoms that normal citizens would be arrested for. The organization can distribute those passes because they are registered new media. That's how legal journalism works in America. Even small news organizations register themselves with the FCC, a federal organization that is in charge of the distribution of information via media. A school newspaper isn't registered and doesn't have press passes even though it does the act of journalism, just like its bigger and registered counterparts, so if a school newspaper journalist tries to get on a basketball court to take pictures of a game he/she will be removed by security and arrested because he/she doesn't have a press pass.

You also don't know the limitations of freedoms. Freedom of speech is limited. You cannot yell "fire" in a movie theatre (disturbing the peace) or blatantly lie about someone in public (slander). You also have to be recognized as the "press" to receive its freedoms, in order to be recognized you have to registered and licensed by the federal government. So a free lance journalist still isn't recognized as the press unless a news organization backs him up or he gets recognized as a news distributor by himself.

Wikileaks' servers also aren't on US soil so technically all of these rights are void for them in the first place. You can argue that the human rights will defend them but once again international press is still registered press. The Economist which is European is recognized world wide as a registered press and therefore the human rights laws will defend them in international court cases. :X

Disregard the facts and make assumptions all you'd like but it won't prove you right.

And did I ever say I was defending DC? I'm defending their case to say that yes Wikileaks is criminal not that the secrets they hold about criminal activities was just. Don't ever tell me what I am doing when you are basing it all on assumption. You stated a supreme court case would defend Wikileaks and I have posted several reasons why that would not be the case. Your accusations of me wanting to spread hate towards them and me defending "real criminals" in DC are baseless and have absolutely no value whatsoever. I've respected your arguments I would expect the same from you.

URPG

Last edited by Blood Red Lucario; 01-24-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:

And correct me if I am wrong, but this "release" does not cover any illegal activities, rather they are offensive notes about foreign leaders.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:11 AM
Hikari10 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkUmBrEoN View Post
Riddle me this:

How can it be treason if the accused isn't a citizen of the victimized nation? Then again, it could be construed as espionage and by that standard a criminal act.

When a thief steals something and fences it off, both the thief and the fencer are culpabel. So by that standard, Wikileaks is guilty. However, when a whistleblower steals information and gives it to the press; while the whistleblower may be charged with criminal activity, the general press is not. So the problem arises in the definition of Wikileaks being a journalisme station or it being a plain old fence.

Also, Assange is wanted in Sweden. Sweden needs to get him extradited out of Britain. Britain can't extradite him to the US at the moment. Sweden can't extradite him to the US, cause Swedish law would see him as a political criminal and these kind of criminals are exempted from extradition.

And I find it funny how a nation/government claiming to be 'for the people, by the people and of the people', a nation/government frowning on the press censorship in Russia, China and countries like that, a nation/government that is - maybe undeserving - the leading example of the Western civilization, pressures companies into cutting ties with Wikileaks without even using fundamental principels of the Separation of powers ideology they adhere so closely to.
I have to admit he looks a lot like one of those aliens that a teacher at my old high school often talks about. This teacher is sooo stupid, he claims this foreign species were born in Sweden and what these extraterrestrial species do is they are well known for hacking (very nerdy aliens, are they?) and treachery. One of these aliens (known to me as "Endorka", which means "nerdy hacker dork") has even been locked up for hurting a female student. Wikileaks is just plain stupid, pathetic and I think it's run by Endorka aliens. This is just a joke as I am good at satirising the news.

I'm just hoping that my brother doesn't become a whistleblower, hacker or anything that's insulting, my brother has two friends that are bullies and they like to be sneaky. My brother should avoid looking at any classified information because I am concerned my brother might end up in a situation similar to this (my brother masturbates in his sleep, gross)

Last edited by Hikari10; 03-19-2011 at 02:14 AM. Reason: extra info
Old 03-19-2011, 04:08 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Riddle me this:

How can it be treason if the accused isn't a citizen of the victimized nation? Then again, it could be construed as espionage and by that standard a criminal act.

When a thief steals something and fences it off, both the thief and the fencer are culpabel. So by that standard, Wikileaks is guilty. However, when a whistleblower steals information and gives it to the press; while the whistleblower may be charged with criminal activity, the general press is not. So the problem arises in the definition of Wikileaks being a journalisme station or it being a plain old fence.

Also, Assange is wanted in Sweden. Sweden needs to get him extradited out of Britain. Britain can't extradite him to the US at the moment. Sweden can't extradite him to the US, cause Swedish law would see him as a political criminal and these kind of criminals are exempted from extradition.

And I find it funny how a nation/government claiming to be 'for the people, by the people and of the people', a nation/government frowning on the press censorship in Russia, China and countries like that, a nation/government that is - maybe undeserving - the leading example of the Western civilization, pressures companies into cutting ties with Wikileaks without even using fundamental principels of the Separation of powers ideology they adhere so closely to.
The media has the right to publish whatever it wants, but it doesn't have the right to go around violating people's privacy in order to do so. It's fine for Entertainment Tonight to report on something Charlie Sheen said, it's something else for them to sneak into his home and take photos of his credit card documents. In the same way, both the whistleblower and the publisher are in the wrong here. Government has privacy too, and unless they are concealing something that would hurt the country if not revealed, and especially if revealing the information hurts more than helps (as in this case), the act is not justified. It's not an expression of free speech if someone steals the command codes for US nuclear missiles and posts them on Wikileaks.

Also, separation of powers has nothing to do with media or business. If the US Government decides Wikileaks is a threat to national security, they have full rights under the Constitution to do what they are doing right now; that's part of the founding principles as well.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 03-19-2011, 05:46 AM
Lan.exe Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lan.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
especially if revealing the information hurts more than helps (as in this case)
Nice revolutions in the Middle-East bro.

You obviously don't comprehend the fact that the government is doing **** behind the backs of the people they are elected to represent. That's not what democracy is, Wikileaks is protecting democracy.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporal Snake View Post
Nice revolutions in the Middle-East bro.

You obviously don't comprehend the fact that the government is doing **** behind the backs of the people they are elected to represent. That's not what democracy is, Wikileaks is protecting democracy.
You obviously do not understand anything. Democracy is simply people voting and agreeing on something. The U.S has a Democratic Republic, which allows the government to have certain powers over the people. And as far as I can tell, I have not seen anything that Wikileaks has done that has protected democracy. And their goal seems to simply achieve an anarchy rather than truly enlighten the people.

What is the government doing behind our backs? If the government manages to keep secrets that are worth anything, than America would literally be running the world right now.