Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » Stories

Stories Write a story to catch Pokemon. A Grader will then decide if it catches or not.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:40 AM
itsnatch Offline
New Trainer

Default The Battles or The Contests? (Ready for Grading)

"Hey there, kiddo!" My mom tried to hide her dismay. After letting her know that I want to go on a journey, she's been unable to sleep every night. Since I was the youngest of us three, she would always baby me, to the point of overprotecting, or maybe I was exaggerating.

Anyway, I called to my family from Petalburg City. Currently I'm in Kanto, since my friends were there too. There's Jeremy, a very confident Pokémon Trainer and cousin. He has this Pikachu who didn't like being in a Pokéball, so he had to carry the electric Pokémon in his shoulder. Another friend of mine is Bricq, pronounced brick, short for Beronique. She's an aspiring Pokémon Coordinator and she's the so-called chef of our group. Lastly there's Romalyn, but you can call her Omai. She wants to be a Pokémon Trainer as well, but she doesn't want to go on her league journey just yet.

We four were all the same age, but I'm the youngest by just about a few months. Not only that, I was the only one undecided yet. I don't know if I would take a shot at gym battles, like my father and my siblings, or go for Pokémon Contests like my mother. Not to mention the pressure I'm handling since my sister, the oldest of us three, is a former Hoenn League Champion.

Whew! I guess that's a long flashback. I'm currently on the payphone, talking to my mom.

"Well, aren't you gonna say anything? About your journey, your friends, your Pokémon, your decision?" I could definitely answer the first three in impromptu, but, the last part, I'm not quite sure.

After a series of greetings and sermons, I still cannot make up my mind, but, some part of me just said the following dialogue.

"By tomorrow evening, I promise you ma, I'll make a decision."

"Jonathan?"

"Yes ma?"

"Remember. I'm proud of you no matter what decision you'll make. I know that you can succeed at anything your heart will desire."

I felt the tears welling in my eyes, but I managed to hold them from rolling down my cheeks. I was very close to my mother, that's why it was a very hard choice for me not to be a Pokémon Coordinator. I respected my mother more than anyone. And yes, I'm a mama's boy. I just said thank you after that heartwarming speech and continued on with my friends to the next town.

5:38 PM. We arrived in Stone Town, decorated with colorful flags in every corner of every street. I wonder what the occasion is, I thought. Bricq then saw a poster of an unofficial Pokémon Contest to be held in Stone Town tomorrow. "Natch!" Bricq called me Natch, like everyone else did. "How's about you and me enter this contest?" she asked. She knew my current problem as well, and she thought that maybe this could make up my mind. I can enter this one, since it's an unofficial contest, so there's no need for a Contest Pass. I nodded to her offer and we uttered our good-lucks for tomorrow's event.

The next day, it was the appeals round of the battle. Two impressive coordinators are finished with their appeals, and Bricq was up next.

"Ivysaur, go!" Her starter Pokémon was a Bulbasaur which already evolved, Jeremy has his Pikachu, Omai has her Charmander, and I've got my Squirtle as my partner.

Ivysaur showcased an impressive appeal as well. The Petal Dance confetti she made was flawless.

"Jonathan, you're up next." A contest staff instructed, as he signaled me to go to the stage. I was nervous, I think I should back down, I thought, but I'm already here, and there's no quitting this.

"Next up is a beginning coordinator from way off Petalburg City." I can hear Lilian's confident announcing. Hope I had that kind of confidence too. I noticed I was gripping Squirtle's Pokéball too tight it would almost break in half. Hmph! I can do this. Believe in yourself, Jonathan.

"Hoenn's own, Jonathan!" The curtains covering me opened up and I saw the roaring audience. I walked baby steps towards the center stage, that soon became faster by the second. Next thing I knew I was screaming out,

"Squirtle, come on out!" Squirtle came out from his Pokéball with silver bubbles, thanks to a seal I borrowed from Bricq. I can also see Jeremy and Omai from my position, but I needed to concentrate on the appeal.

"Now, Squirtle, Bubble up to the roof!" And Squirtle released a massive body of bubbles standing tall. "How's about a Rapid Spin to pop the bubbles away?" Squirtle spinned swiftly and gracefully across the stage, popping the wall of bubbles as practiced. "And finally, a Water Gun!" Squirtle unleashed a fountain of water and stayed at the center where the waters intersect. The three judges gave their remarks as well. Mr. Contesta said, "Nicely done for a beginner!" Mr. Sukizo wore a big grin today, and said, "Remarkable!" Stone Town's own Nurse Joy congratulated me for the effort, "It shows Squirtle's fierce and playful attitude as well!" Squirtle jumped on my shoulder happily. The audience kept applauding and thought for a moment, "I think I can get used to this."

At backstage, Bricq congratulated me as well. "You were a natural out there! You must've got that spunk from your mom. Speaking of which, aren't you supposed to call her?"

"Oh yeah! I forgot! Thanks for reminding me."

"No biggy. Here's my cellphone. I think you forgot your change in your pants after your costume change."

"You know everything I forget, Bricq. You know everything." I said as I dialed my mom's phone number. Tough luck. There was no signal out here, and I can't go outside the contest premises until after the appeals round. I can't do anything but wish that my mom was watching.

A few moments alter, Omai came with her cellphone beeping.

"Natch! Natch! It's Uncle Robert!" Uncle Robert was the one person responsible for organizing our journey. Thanks to him, we wouldn't even be here participating.

"Professor?" I answered. He was also a registered professor.

"Natch! Tell Bricq both of your mothers are here watching! They wanted to congratulate you on the early run."

"Thanks Professor!" Bricq butted in the conversation, but I wasn't angry. After the conversation, the results were in. Only two would be picked for the final round, and those two will fight in an appeal battle for the contest prize, which is a Pokémon egg.

"The top two coordinators who will be going head to head are..." Lilian announced. Two virtual cards were shown in the screen. The left-hand card drawed out Bricq's face, meaning she was one of the Top 2. My palms were sweating, but the possibilities of me being the other guy in the card were as slim as me, and even I was teased anorexic. Seconds later, the right-hand card showed a guy with almond eyes, black fine hair, a not-so-flat nose, and a gorgeous grin. A second after, I realized that it was me! I'm going to the final round! I'll be competing against a friend! I can win a Pokémon egg! It seemed like everything was falling down, but Bricq came and said,

"Let's make this battle one for the record books, kay?" She was far from disappointed by the fact that she will be fighting against me. She wasn't the type of woman who would go easy on someone, so it wasn't cockiness that made her happy. Even unofficial Pokémon contests were very important to her, meaning that if she would lose, it would leave a big hole in her heart. But then I realized that she was happy because she would be battling a friend. Whether she would win or she would lose, she would be happy of the result. And with that exchange, I said,

"Sure thing!" It was the appeals battle. Final round, five minute time limit, four friends awaiting the result, three chances whether it's be win, lose, or draw, two coordinators, me or Bricq, and one prize: the Pokémon egg. Lilian did the announcing and yelled out,

"So let's get busy!" The time started to run and Bricq sent out her Ivysaur. I sent out my Squirtle. And the battle's starting to heat up in my head.

"Ivysaur, Razor Leaf!"

"Squirtle, Withdraw, quick!"

"Vine Whip!"

"Water Gun!"

We exchanged blows with a variety of attacks and combinations. After four and a half minutes, my appeal bar was close to the one-fourth mark while Bricq's just passed the one-half mark.

"Ivysaur, Tackle!" One move can change it all, I thought. Then I commanded,

"Squirtle, shower the stage with Water Gun and Bubble!" 15 seconds left as the stage turned wet. Ivysaur slipped through the ground, lied face up, and lost points, having the same amount of appeal points as mine. Ten seconds left and I still need to attack.

"Squirtle, Rapid Spin on Ivysaur!" Squirtle spun like a frisbee, pinning Ivysaur onto the stage.

"Time's up!" Lilian screamed. Ivysaur fainted. Squirtle was catching his breath. "And the winner is, Jonathan from Petalburg City!" The crowd roared once more like a hungry lion. My heart filled with mixed feelings, but seeing Bricq as cheerful as the crowd, it filled with mostly happiness and content. "And here is your prize, Jonathan. A Pokémon egg!"

"Thanks, Lilian." I said. But as I was about to touch the egg, it glowed. "It's already evolving!" Bricq said from a distance. Seconds later, it turned into a Pokémon with brown fur, pointed ears, deep brown eyes, and a tail as fluffy as its collar.

"An Eevee!" I assumed. I brought out my Pokédex.
"Eevee. The Evolution Pokémon. Because its genetic makeup is irregular, it quickly changes its form due to a variety of causes."

Eevee cutely looked at my presence, and I was more than happy. A few moments later, I met up with Bricq. She was near the doorway to the Pokémon Center. I saw the orange sky floating right above us. I realized that it was about nighttime, and the big day we all had was about to end.

"Hey there! Can I see the cutie-patootie you just won?" Bricq asked. Knowing that Eevee was the cutie-patootie she was referring to, I brought out the Pokéball the Pokémon was contained in.

"Eevee, come on out!" After a while, Eevee sent out a cute growl.

"Aww! Your mother's gonna love this little guy! Which reminds me, have you made up your big decision?" I completely forgot about it. Bricq also wanted me to become a coordinator because she would love to have a friend compete with her in contests. I still don't want to let Bricq know my decision, but here's what I have to say.

"You know everything I forget, and I mean, everything, Bricq. Can you hold Eevee for a moment? I need to call to my mom."

"Nice save there. Let me know your decision when you finally have the courage." Bricq knew I didn't want to let her know first. It's very awkward that she knows everything, not only about me, but almost everything about Jeremy and Omai too. After that, I finally went inside. Jeremy and Omai met up with Bricq as well.

"So, where's the champ?" Jeremy asked Bricq.

"He just called to his mom. And I think I know what his decision is."

"Me too." Omai added.

"How do you know these things?" Jeremy questioned.

Omai answered quickly, "Oh I don't know. Woman's intuition, lucky guess,"

"Obvious fact," Bricq added as she laughed along with Omai, leaving Jeremy clueless. Meanwhile, at the Pokémon Center,

"Ma, I think you've got yourself a descendant in your Pokémon coordinating career." I said to my mom.

"Really? You sure you wanna be a Pokémon Coordinator?" She answered.

"Sure, I'm sure. Who wouldn't wanna be?"

"Your father and siblings. Anyways, I'm proud of you. Take care of that Eevee you just got."

"You mean it was still on air when the egg hatched?"

"Every single second. I've got to go now. I have guests here, after they knew that I was the mother of the contest winner earlier. Well, I guess I have to get used to this one as well. And one more thing,"

"Yes?"

"Try to not call me everyday, please. Not that I'm avoiding or abandoning you on this journey of yours, but you've got your Pokémon with you now. You don't need family assistance everyday. Maybe twice per month, but not everytime you enter a contest." Was it me or did the room just suddenly felt colder? I never knew my own mother would say this to me, not because I would be saddened, but I would feel a lot freer. I never wanted my mom to know what i was feeling when I was being babied by my parents.

"Oh. I understand. Thanks, ma." I returned the receiver to its position and returned to my friends with confidence, and a new custom to follow.

New Pokémon:

Eevee

---my first story, and ready to grade---

Last edited by itsnatch; 03-21-2011 at 05:53 AM.