Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:31 PM
paperfairy Offline

Send a message via AIM to paperfairy Send a message via Skype™ to paperfairy
Default Why don't you play ASB?

I'm working on ASB, so I had a question for everybody: why don't you play ASB? If you did and stopped, why did you stop?

Thanks. =]

Will always find their kind.
ASBL | twins with Jenn <3
Old 02-21-2011, 05:36 PM
JokesterJesse Offline
I l l u m i n a t i  P r i n c e

Send a message via AIM to JokesterJesse Send a message via MSN to JokesterJesse Send a message via Skype™ to JokesterJesse
Default Re: Why don't you play ASB?

>see PE2K group facebook for my answer<
Old 02-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Rival Silver Offline
Elite Trainer

I browsed it a tiny bit, and quite frankly I found it too complicated with SO MUCH DETAIL, WITH EVERYTHING. I found the URPG to be simplistic. Simplisity is beauty to me.

<--- Credit to Doodlebop|Credit to Temporal Snake
Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Judgmental Arceus Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus

I never really took interest in ASB or URPG.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Blitzkrieg Offline
Amateur Trainer

Because the anime is an abomination and I don't want to support it.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Dragoness Offline

*I played it for a little while, then stopped. Partly it was b/c of inactivity (on the part of the ASB officials, not the other players) and partly b/c I found it too be both a little too rigid and a little too complicated for casual play.

If it were to come back, I would suggest making the rules more clear and a little less complicated. I'd also suggest making the process to become an ASB official easy while still maintaining a high standard for wannabe officials.
--

* I stopped playing several months before the ASB closed, so the conflicts I had with the ASB may have been resolved to some degree before its closure, just an FYI.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Kers Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Kers

because asb is just like the urpg except stupid
Old 02-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Never really looked into it, but I can honestly say traditional Pokemon battling in general has become just tiresome for me. I need something with a lot more substance and storyline, and both the URPG and the ASB don't seem to have that.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:56 AM
paperfairy Offline

Send a message via AIM to paperfairy Send a message via Skype™ to paperfairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival Silver View Post
I browsed it a tiny bit, and quite frankly I found it too complicated with SO MUCH DETAIL, WITH EVERYTHING. I found the URPG to be simplistic. Simplisity is beauty to me.
Agreed 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
Because the anime is an abomination and I don't want to support it.
...playing ASB doesn't support it. whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoness View Post
*I played it for a little while, then stopped. Partly it was b/c of inactivity (on the part of the ASB officials, not the other players) and partly b/c I found it too be both a little too rigid and a little too complicated for casual play.

If it were to come back, I would suggest making the rules more clear and a little less complicated. I'd also suggest making the process to become an ASB official easy while still maintaining a high standard for wannabe officials.
--

* I stopped playing several months before the ASB closed, so the conflicts I had with the ASB may have been resolved to some degree before its closure, just an FYI.
Inactivity is a huge problem I'm looking to address. Could you elaborate on the rigid aspect? We are also working on making it a little less complex. And what do you mean by ASB official?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloImKers View Post
because asb is just like the urpg except stupid
Thanks for the complete lack of constructive criticism. Come back with something helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Never really looked into it, but I can honestly say traditional Pokemon battling in general has become just tiresome for me. I need something with a lot more substance and storyline, and both the URPG and the ASB don't seem to have that.
Elaborate?

Will always find their kind.
ASBL | twins with Jenn <3
Old 02-22-2011, 03:00 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

One of the problems I noticed in ASB (and in the URPG before we fixed it) was a lack of direction for an interested member.

A good idea would be to have some sort of Introductory Thread, a Read First if you will. It should go over what ASB is, how to get started, the basics, how to participate, and where to ask questions. Adding a FAQ at the end will help as well.

I think that might make it more open.
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:11 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperfairy View Post
Elaborate?
Well, its kind of the reason why I'm really only geared toward things with a new storyline and new outlook. Fan fictions have that, role plays almost always have that, and decent Pokemon spin off games, like PMD, have that as well. It's a step in a new and different direction as opposed to the same old new trainer starting off in a new region with team so-and-so to fight. I'm not saying the ASB league is that, but in order for me to be really interested, its got to have a storyline and a background. A battle without a storyline is just mindless fighting, which is why I lost interest in the URPG and never returned. To me, I see the ASB league like the URPG, just with a different layout and format. It may be thrilling for a few seconds, but its easy to get bored of it. However, if there's a strong storyline behind it and all the characters involved have a rich storyline surrounding them, it makes it much easier to appreciate the battle.

Second, and for the same reason I stopped the URPG, I have a long list of other things I'd rather spend my time on. Stuff like RP, graphic art work, XBox 360, writing, and so on.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:33 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Well, its kind of the reason why I'm really only geared toward things with a new storyline and new outlook. Fan fictions have that, role plays almost always have that, and decent Pokemon spin off games, like PMD, have that as well. It's a step in a new and different direction as opposed to the same old new trainer starting off in a new region with team so-and-so to fight. I'm not saying the ASB league is that, but in order for me to be really interested, its got to have a storyline and a background. A battle without a storyline is just mindless fighting, which is why I lost interest in the URPG and never returned. To me, I see the ASB league like the URPG, just with a different layout and format. It may be thrilling for a few seconds, but its easy to get bored of it. However, if there's a strong storyline behind it and all the characters involved have a rich storyline surrounding them, it makes it much easier to appreciate the battle.

Second, and for the same reason I stopped the URPG, I have a long list of other things I'd rather spend my time on. Stuff like RP, graphic art work, XBox 360, writing, and so on.

It's one of the great weaknesses the URPG and ASB share. A storyline or plot within the system would be an excellent addition, but figuring out how to implement it is difficult.

In the URPG, I have some sort of D&D-esque test going on, but I'm not sure how that's going to work. It seems a little too complicated. The idea of a Dungeon Master and party works better, but I've yet to successfully pull that off either. ASB is more RP-based though, am I correct? So perhaps it has a better chance of implementing a plot. Not everyone needs to follow it, but it could be another feature.

Assuming you have the manpower to run it.
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:12 AM
Teo Offline

Send a message via AIM to Teo Send a message via MSN to Teo

To be honest about it, I just really don't care for the ASB. So I didn't really bother looking into it. Same can be said about the URPG for me too.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Steak Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Steak

Basically because it's not simple-looking

In other words, unappealing to an onlooker, as it's hard to find a good thread that acts as a summary to explain the entire concept in layman's terms. Last I checked, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKim View Post
A good idea would be to have some sort of Introductory Thread, a Read First if you will. It should go over what ASB is, how to get started, the basics, how to participate, and where to ask questions. Adding a FAQ at the end will help as well.

I think that might make it more open.
aka this
Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Send a message via AIM to Etymology

The battles are too slow, and in general the place in inactive. I much prefer the URPG. Battles were quick and simple.