Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 02-10-2011, 01:40 AM
The Maple Syrup Baptist Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The Maple Syrup Baptist Send a message via MSN to The Maple Syrup Baptist
Default Re: Things You Hate in Music

Yeah, no right way to enjoy music. How and why an artist makes music is only the start; how you choose to enjoy it is something entirely up to the listener. Any genre of music can't do one single job; the job it does is different from artist to listener.

This is also why indirect songs about pain are so prevalent; you can attach your own specific feelings to the song and personalize it. Same goes with music itself. Just because an artist makes a fast and aggressive thrash song about rage and destruction doesn't mean you can't just sit back with a beer and zone out.

As for things I hate in music, people who just go through the motions and don't feel their own music. Like 95% of pop radio artists. I hate when people write off metal as "loud, angry, screaming, devil worship", etc. I'd like to judo kick them in the stomage. Also Justin Bieber in general.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:20 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

People who say metal is devil worship know nothing about metal, and to me, that's a truly ignorant stereotype of the genre and those who listen to it. In fact, there's even Christian metal out there, which proves that those who assume that stereotype is true truly know nothing about metal. It's simply a style and a genre, meant for some people, not for others, like all genres of music.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReclusiveDemon View Post
You're saying this as if you're doing it wrong by listening to Thrash Metal in an orthodox manner, which means most people are listening to it in the wrong way. Any band can relax you so long as you enjoy the music, Thrash being no exception.

The best way to describe this is the fact that most people are relaxing when listening to almost any form of music. When you're listening to almost any form of music, what are you typically doing? You're sitting in your home, in your car, on the bus, on the train-- you're sitting or lounging, listening to music. This is enjoyment, isolation: relaxation. We do this with every form of music. If people were supposed to always get pumped and crazy from listening to an aggressive form of music (Hardcore, Grindcore, Thrash, Death, Black), then a majority of the population which enjoyed that music would have permanent brain damage and spinal injury due to headbanging and thrashing.

There is no wrong way to enjoy any form of music.
I know that, man, but personally when I listen to thrash, I'm rarely totally slumped and relaxed like I would be if I'm listening to neofolk. Thrash makes me at LEAST tap my foot, it's a genre that draws you in and makes you nod your head. Even if I'm listening to it through headphones, I'll be tapping out the drums with my fingers, moving my head, wiggling my foot, but with, say, Vali, I've fallen asleep on the bus.
Yeah, music is a form of recreation and enjoyment, but I can't see how something as bloodpumping as thrash can just make you... I dunno. My personal reactions to say, Mastery and Empyrium are completely and utterly different, and they would be through both speakers and a live setting. I could never relax to thrash, thus why I proclaimed it odd, and the thrash metallers I've had the privilege of meeting have been the craziest motherfuckers I've ever seen.

I know man, I just said I found it odd.

@Mitch: Yeah man, but I guess I'm not getting my point across. The only time I can imagine zoning out to thrash is if I'm completely exhausted. I was at a party (Miranda's :P) the other day and I was totally dead a lot of the time, but when my friend put Kreator on, they all went 'wheeey, Cait's perked up!' 'cause I was UP. As soon as it went off, I was back to being glassy-eyed. If thrash comes on, I'm moving in my chair. If I want to relax, I'll have some neofolk. Perhaps it's just me, but from the people I've experienced and from my own experiences, thrash is not a calm genre! :P

@Neo: There's even Christian black metal. xD

Last edited by Tombi; 02-10-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Woodchuck Offline

Send a message via MSN to Woodchuck Send a message via Skype™ to Woodchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombi View Post
Perhaps it's just me, but from the people I've experienced and from my own experiences, thrash is not a calm genre! :P
That depends. I listen to it when I run because it's a great way to get myself psyched up and ready to go. However, when I need to, say, write a lengthy paper for a school assignment, I often crank up some Ulysses Siren or Coroner because it chills me out and helps me focus. Thrash can work both ways. Perhaps the guys you know are just excitable in general. xD

"Because without Twitter... You're f*cking nothing. Your life is just a burnt-out shell. You're like a husk."
Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
That depends. I listen to it when I run because it's a great way to get myself psyched up and ready to go. However, when I need to, say, write a lengthy paper for a school assignment, I often crank up some Ulysses Siren or Coroner because it chills me out and helps me focus. Thrash can work both ways. Perhaps the guys you know are just excitable in general. xD
xD They can be excitable I guess, but also the moodiest, grumpiest bastards you've ever laid eyes on ♥
MAYBE IT DIFFERS COUNTRY-TO-COUNTRY. xDD

Old 02-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Synester Offline

Send a message via AIM to Synester

Personally, I hate Metal and any form of it. Mainly due to people acting is it the superior genre to all music
Old 02-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Masami Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Masami Send a message via MSN to Masami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synester View Post
Personally, I hate Metal and any form of it. Mainly due to people acting is it the superior genre to all music
That would be because, In Britain atleast there is a culture of people being constantly persecuted for their choice of music, verbally and physically.
Doesn't happen to me really, but I know many people it does happen to.

So they have a right to justify their suffering, really.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Pokeboy sarab Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Pokeboy sarab Send a message via MSN to Pokeboy sarab Send a message via Yahoo to Pokeboy sarab

Will.I.Am and all his futurustic nonsense. I think he's going too overboard with it. Even autotune is going overboard now.

I'm also tired of all the freaky gimmicks. There's a difference between it being artsy with a purpose and freaky just for the sake of getting views. I wish we could go back to times where music required talent.

Also I hate teen girls and their freakish obsession with artists like Bieber, Jonas brothers, etc. It just propels them ahead of more talented artists.

Credit for the Rapidash TCG recolor goes to my beloved pair...Shiny Loser.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Tombi Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synester View Post
That's a response to those who abuse us in the first place~~~~

Though when I get heckled in the street I only usually reply with a middle finger, cause I know I have a bloody good night out planned at the weekend which involves several bands and some of the nicest people you could ever meet. I bet if you went to a metal show- in Europe, at least, dunno what the weirdos in America are like- you'd make a bunch of new friends even if you hate the music. We don't really give much of a ****.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Masami Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Masami Send a message via MSN to Masami

Quote:

That's a response to those who abuse us in the first place~~~~

Though when I get heckled in the street I only usually reply with a middle finger, cause I know I have a bloody good night out planned at the weekend which involves several bands and some of the nicest people you could ever meet. I bet if you went to a metal show- in Europe, at least, dunno what the weirdos in America are like- you'd make a bunch of new friends even if you hate the music. We don't really give much of a ****.
I comppletely agree with this informed, yet retarded, young lady.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Pokemon_Ron Offline

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon_Ron Send a message via Skype™ to Pokemon_Ron

Quote:

I bet if you went to a metal show- in Europe, at least, dunno what the weirdos in America are like- you'd make a bunch of new friends even if you hate the music. We don't really give much of a ****.
In the metal shows I've gone to, mostly metalcore(bullet for my valentine, all that remains, etc. etc.), a lot of the 'metal heads' are completely ********, and are arrogant mostly.

But, one thing I hate in music is the people that try to shove their genre of music down your throat and claim "its the best". Every genre of music is different, and everyone is mostly different, so why think everyone needs to like the same kind of music.
That's it,
me is done/
<3
Old 05-31-2011, 08:31 AM
kiddoman Offline
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to kiddoman

Some terrible rapper do it like a shXt! I just want to let them cut the crap!

OR, some depressing tone without any connotation, which just makes me sleepy!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:13 AM
IT Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to IT Send a message via MSN to IT

Commercialization and selling out are the only things I despise and nothing good generally comes out of either.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Acil Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via ICQ to Acil

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
Commercialization and selling out are the only things I despise and nothing good generally comes out of either.
Yes, I absolutely agree with you. That's the reason I'm rolling on such things as Creative Commons licensed works (maybe other unrestrictive licenses as well, or even in public domain :D heh) and communities on free (as in freedom, you got it) music like Jamendo.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:06 PM
J-snivy Offline
New Trainer

I hate It when Producers say their name in a song they produced, This drives me nuts when people like "Jr rotem" (AKA: J-J-J-J-JR guy) do it. Basically, Its when a producer will produce a song for an artist, And then In a random part of the song (most of the time the first few seconds) they have an
"audio watermark" which has their name, Even worse Is when they not only have their name, but also a weird sound (JR has this weird horn sound) at the end or middle of the song, I don't know why, but It drives me nuts. The only person I like who does this occasionally Is busy P.

I also hate "cheap" sampling, Sampling Is when a song will have a part of another song In It (most of the time Its looped or made higher/lower In pitch), Don't get me wrong, Some artists like renard queenston do very Interesting samples, Only playing a part of a song and doing Interesting things to it.
But a good example of cheap obvious sampling would be beyonce's "run the world girls" which Is litteraly just her talking over major lazer's pon de floor.