Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems
Default Re: Pokemon: Team StormRiders [PG-13] [Chapter 30; A Brief Impasse]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassy_Aggron View Post
Tali is bad news >:( What is she's planning to use the shadow poison on Zanna? I mean, what would happen then? 0o'

Although, imagine light and darkness combined...Deoxys would be screwed.

Poor Rye - although it seems Eon helped him in a way. As for Jarre - we all regret things, don't we?

Nice chapter!
xD Well I can't spoil anything now, can I?! You'll just have to wait and see what happens. But yeah, that really DOES sound like Deoxys would be screwed.

Zanna: TAKE THAT! *shoots a dark meteor covered with pulsating light at Deoxys*

.____.;;; Sheesh.

Geez, Shell. You are slow. xD But don't worry! I actually added the pun in after I'd written that part. I thought it would go down well. X3 Such a silly Torchic he is.

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 01-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems
Talking Re: Pokemon: Team StormRiders [PG-13] [Chapter 30; A Brief Impasse]

Hazzuh. I thought it was about time for another chapter. =3

----------

Chapter 31;
..........inklings of a human

----------

Tali chose a distant path far, far from where the others had made their camp. She no longer wished for their company, nor did she need it. The quiet calm of the night was all she longed for and it greeted her like a trusted ally, for the two had once been very close. That Pikachu had cut into her deeper than almost anyone; through the flesh down to the very bone, even to her soul. The pain that she felt – renewed once she had mentioned Rakai’s name – she had not experienced in such a long time it was almost like a lost memory. She should have known that memories always come back to haunt you when you least expect it.

Rakai…

It was true the Weavile in question was now one of the Hunters; a known notorious group of Dark Sneasel and Weavile under the command of Deoxys, their claws infected with the ability of shadow poison, through which more Dark Pokemon could be bred. It was also true that those Weavile once happened to be kind souls. At the very least, Tali knew Rakai was. But what had happened to him had changed him forever and he was no longer the Weavile she had known. Yet… she was sure part of him still existed somewhere, deep within.

“Oh, Rakai…” Her own mutter sounded weak and pitiful, even to her ears. “Rakai, where are you?”

Raising her head to the sky, she glanced at the moon, which was a sliver tonight; a full moon had just passed. If she held her paw upwards it could completely cover it until the sky was moonless and just a desolate, dark place like everywhere else. Sighing, the Buizel returned to her solemn pacing, finding comfort in the repetitive thump of her feet on the path. It was then that a familiar voice entered her mind, and with it, the image of a young Sneasel.

---

Tali, look at this. See? My claws are bigger than your paw even! Look how big I’ve grown!

Rakai! You’ve grown so much. It… it’s so good to see you again…

Yes. You too, Tal. I missed you.

---

“Stop it!” Tali growled into the starlit sky with frustration, panting hard and eyes wide. “I never gave you the right to mess with me! Stay. Out. Of. My. Head!”

---

Hahaha! I beat you again! Listen, Tal, you’re never going to win if you keep up the same strategy again and again and again… It’s tiresome.

B-but I was hoping I could beat you with brute strength…

Oh? Strategy hurting your brain? Hahaha!

WHAT?! No! Listen here, tough guy. I will beat you!

---

“I said get away!” the Buizel cried into the air, raising her paws to cover her head as she fell to the ground in pain. It had never hurt so much to remember the past. She never wanted to remember it; all she wanted was for it to be gone. The taste of salty tears filled her mouth as she gasped into the cool air which felt like piercing daggers to her heart.

---

Friends forever. You and I. Promise.

---

“RAAAKAAAI!”

Tali hadn’t returned since last night and we couldn’t move on without her. At least that was what Lani had said. To be perfectly honest, I was fine with leaving the uptight Buizel by herself. She’d caused us nothing but trouble so far, especially when I didn’t do a thing to deserve it! The only thing about her that interested me right now was those bands.

What I had felt upon encountering them was strange enough; a dark, hollow feeling, much like being in Rye’s presence when he turned. But that wasn’t the only odd thing that unnerved me. I wondered how she had got her paws on those bands to begin with. If they were some evil tool to be used, that put Tali under a lot of suspicion in my eyes. Our little gathering I had kept secret from Lani, mainly because I had no idea how she would react. And if Tali found out another knew she might run off with the bands before I had a chance to even get to them. I wasn’t certain about much these days, but I knew I needed to get those bands. Before someone got hurt. A sigh escaped my mouth as I realised it was no use; I’d just have to be patient and wait.

The day had been rather dreary so far, grey clouds frolicking in the sky, but it hadn’t rained yet. The weather was making me rather sleepy so I suppose I could take a nap. A little one wouldn’t hurt, and Lani was off exploring the area nearby and to gather supplies before we left. Yes, a nap seemed like a good idea.

I’d also felt a lot better about Rye since I had mentioned it to Lani, and though it still hurt when I thought of him, a little piece inside me had begun to heal. I could tell she would keep my secret and not tell a soul; that was just the way Lani was, and was just the way I liked her.

Thinking of Lani soon turned my thoughts to Jarre, Dash and Codan. I hoped Jarre was doing alright, especially with Dash following in pursuit. I hoped Dash was alright. It wasn’t my idea to stick the two together, but they wanted a team with type advantages, Codan had said. Not the smartest move, but he was the eldest and the main choices were his to make.

It was with that thought I found my favourite tree by Lake Siuryen and curled up beneath it. All too soon drowsiness came over me. The gentle swaying of the wind echoed through my ears with a whoosh whooooooosshhh. The calming noise made my eyelids droop and my head feel heavy. I did not know when I finally succumbed to the calls to sleep, but it came over me so suddenly I was pulled under completely. Dead to the world.

A young boy stood before me, a human, no older than seventeen or so. Bright brown eyes welcomed me along with a gentle smile. He wore dull blue jeans with a dark grey shirt, brown hair covering his head in a mess. Again, it seemed he hadn’t brushed it. But that was Cody. That was my friend.

“Hey, Zanna. You’re late, or did you forget again?” His face stretched into the usual grin he wore when in one of his happy-go-lucky moods.

“I did
not forget,” I pouted up at him, reaching to tousle his hair before he swatted me away. “You know I just like arriving fashionably late.”

“Hahaha! You know there’s fashionably late, and then there’s just plain late. Guess which category you fall into?”

“Oh, very funny, wise guy.” I ignored the clear smirk on his face and strode right past him. “Ladies first. And since I’m the more manly one here, you first.” Halting, I paused to think. “I also have no idea if that was an insult to myself, or you.” I broke out in laughter, eyeing him with a smile that played about my lips.

“Alright, let’s both go,” he suggested, walking to my side. “The manly girl and the girly man.” A cheesy grin greeted my inquisitive gaze.

“Cody?”

“Yeah?”

“You’re an idiot.”

An airy laugh filled the air as he strode on ahead, raising a hand in acknowledgment. “Say whatever you like, you know you love me!”

“Whatever…” I muttered under my breath, knowing his comment to be true. Still, all the love in the world could not make him revert from being an idiot. It took all the strength I had to bite my tongue and not remark on that fact. Who cared anyway, I’d just get him back later.

I made to follow Cody when my ears picked up a sound that wasn’t the gentle thud of my footsteps. Taking a glance from the corner of my peripheral vision, I spotted a couple of shadows dancing about the corners of a stone wall nearby. The shadows of other humans. It was clear from the yelp that issued from that same direction that they were causing trouble.

“Zanna, what’s up?” Cody had reappeared behind me, gently grabbing my arm and following my gaze. “We don’t know what’s going on over there. I don’t think we should investigate. Besides, I’m not really in the mood to be getting us out of the trouble you always get us into.”

“Well that’s hardly my fault,” I said innocently. “Trouble usually finds me.” Which was true. “I’m going to see who or what they’re hurting; it’s your choice if you follow.” Tugging my arm free from his hand, I stealthily made my way to the stone wall as the sounds grew louder. A harsh cry welcomed me and an even harsher laugh in response.

“Hey, Jack, this one looks weak. Let’s rough him up a bit!”

The voices of teenagers reached my ears, and they were full of malice. Local thugs, no doubt. Some of them held quite a hefty reputation around these parts – especially in the ‘bad’ part of town which I liked to stay well clear of.

Edging my footing slightly to hold my weight to my left, I peered round the corner of the wall. There were five men that greeted my eyes; one was smaller than the rest, and one not too far from him already looked unconscious. It didn’t escape my notice that copious amounts of blood had spattered the ground a none-too-healthy pale red. The remaining three were gathered around the smaller two – one further back than the rest – watching.
One of the larger men raised a hand to the air, casually beckoning to another.

“Sure, Keith. I’m tired of wasting my energy on stupid fools. Have your fun.”

“All right!” The man I’d heard speak first, Keith, sneered down at the smaller man crouched on the ground beside what must be his unconscious friend.

“P-please, don’t hurt me!” he stuttered, raising a hand to shield his face should they attack. “J-just let us go. We didn’t mean to bump into you. Honestly!”

“Heh. Wimp.” Keith’s smile widened to reveal yellow teeth and I cringed inwardly at the sight. “We dun’ care what you did to us. We just wanna hurt you!” Without another word he brought the heel of a boot straight down onto the smaller man’s head, knocking his arms clear.

A harsh cry reached me yet again, and a queasy feeling entered my stomach. Cody’s warning echoed in my ears, but I pushed it back. Now was no time to be sickly and scared. I had to be strong for the man who was defending his friend, even though I had no reason to be.

The third man that sided with the bullies had not yet spoken. He wore a dark brown hooded jacket that covered his face, hands resting in pockets. His gaze was cast to the small man, but I could not tell what expression he wore, or if it was someone I knew.

“Hahahaha! Scream, kid!”

“ARRRGH!”

“C’mon! Don’t like the taste of my boots? Let’s see. LICK THEM.” Keith raised his boot and shoved it clear into the smaller man’s face, possibly breaking a nose in the process, for more howling ensued. He laughed harshly and drew back his foot, making to ram it again, but at the last second the third man stepped in and grabbed hold of Keith’s shoe.

“That’s enough.”

“But he deserved –”

“I said that’s enough.”

The third man, who I was thinking was the leader in all of this, had finally made his debut. His voice was steely and while it held no hint of regret, did not hold malice, either. Keith gave a begrudging look to the small man and backed off, muttering under his breath. The third man raised a hand and grabbed the edge of his hood, slowly sliding it back and over his head.

I drew in a sharp intake of breath at the sight of the man who stood before me, for I did recognise him. Those sad looking eyes; that unruly brown hair.

“Come on, let’s leave here,” Hawk told the two men surrounding him, turning from the victims. “I don’t want to waste my time with them.” The two men exchanged a glance with each other and shrugged, obviously knowing better than to pick a fight with their leader. They followed slowly in his wake, leaving one man badly beaten and the other still unconscious.

I was shaking, wondering who those two had been, and why they were with Hawk. Why was Hawk messed up with them, anyway? He was a trouble maker, true, but he wasn’t a bad kid. I knew that. So then…why?

“Hey, you!” I found my voice and shouted, racing around the corner to the two teenagers once Hawk and his cronies were out of sight.

The smaller one, still conscious, started as he heard my voice. “G-go away! We don’t want more trouble!”

As I reached his side, I held up my hands, motioning that I meant no harm. “It’s okay, take it easy. I won’t hurt you.” I knelt down on the sidewalk to examine his unconscious companion. “Is he alive?”

“He’s breathing,” the smaller man said to me, bending over his friend and eyeing me cautiously. “But those bullies roughed him up bad. W-we didn’t even do anything! I was walking past and accidently bumped into one of them on the corner, that’s all! The next thing I know, we’re being attacked. I-I –”

He seemed about to have a panic attack, so I motioned to Cody to get over here and give me a hand. God forbid if he gave me a death stare, but these two clearly needed help. I couldn’t walk away from someone in need.

“My friend here will help carry your buddy. I know of a hospital that’s pretty close by. You need one, too, by the looks of it.” I grimaced mildly and hoped it looked comforting, though I sure didn’t feel it.

“T-thank you,” the man stammered again, raising a hand to pinch his nose as it started bleeding. “My name’s Daniel.”

“Zanna,” I replied with a curt nod. “But now’s not really the time. Come on; let’s help you and your friend.”

“Right.”

Cody helped lift the boy onto his shoulders, Daniel trailing behind me. These two were certainly a sight for sore eyes. I only hoped we reached them in time.

~*~

I leant on my elbows, leaning on the front counter of the reception desk. The hospital was crowded today, and I was waiting for news on Daniel and his friend. Daniel himself hadn’t been beaten too badly; only a broken nose and a few bruises around the face, but other than that he seemed okay. His friend, however, had taken severe bruising to the head, and might even have a fractured skull. They had him hooked up to an IV right now but no visitors were allowed in the room with him. All Cody and I could do was wait.

A puff of air escaped my mouth as I sighed, turning round to face Cody from the counter. He stared at me with his hollow look. The one that meant I was in trouble.“Look, it wasn’t me who did anything this time. You know I don’t like seeing people hurt, least of all when I can do something about it.”

“But Zanna, it wasn’t your fight to begin with. You should have left well enough alone. And the fact that Hawk-”

“Don’t drag him into this,” I warned with a glare. “I don’t want to talk about it.” And that was that. The last thing I wanted to talk about was Hawk being at the scene with two brutally large men who had attacked harmless civilians. But it strayed into my mind that I hadn’t actually seen Hawk himself attack them; only his two lackeys. Was he really that bad after all?

---

“That’s enough. I said that’s enough.”

---

He’d defended Daniel from a final blow, hadn’t he? But still…

“You can come see your friends now.” A nurse in a white outfit smiled warmly down at me. “Just don’t be too long, they need their rest.”

“Thanks,” I muttered, grabbing Cody’s arm and dragging him with me to room 3.01 where they were being kept. I knew it was thoughtful to bring flowers when you saw people in hospital, but I hadn’t known Daniel for too long and his other friend I hadn’t been introduced to at all yet. I’m sure they would forgive me…

The murky scene suddenly changed and it took more than a few seconds for me to realise I was no longer at the hospital. When my surroundings materialised again, I was in a small room – alone. I was seated on a double size bed in a space that wasn’t overly large, but just large enough to hold a computer desk, a book shelf and a TV console. A small radio rested on top of the bedside table next to me and it blared with announcements about the morning news. The digital clock on the face of the radio signalled it was just after eleven.

“…Police had just arrived at the scene. Constable James Wright had this to say:
'It looked like a kidnapping that sources say happened around 9pm last night on the 14th of January. We searched the scene for possible signs of a suspect and where the victim had been taken but with little success. We urge that anyone with any information, however small, contact the police department immediately.'"
My interest piqued and I reached out an arm to turn the dial on the radio. Yet another kidnapping.

“Police say the small house had been broken into, but no signs of a struggle could be seen. Regarding the most recent of the kidnappings, this one definitely strikes as highly suspicious. It seems the child could not have gone willingly, as shocked parents protested, and all the doors and windows were securely locked. A stunned mother had this to say:
'P-please! My child is so young; I don’t know who would be awful enough to do such a thing! My husband and I are both terrified for his safety and we just want him back. I-if you happen to see a child matching the description please call! We’ll give you anything just to have our little Miron back safe and sound. We remember like yesterday only his f-first birthday…'”
I switched off the radio, unable to hear anymore. That was the fifth kidnapping to be reported only this week alone. So many disappearances were happening and whilst I was worried for myself, I couldn’t help but feel sorry for all the parents who had lost their children.

The most peculiar thing, though, was that none of these houses seemed to have been forced into. It was almost as if the children had either gone willingly or some kind of weird magic had happened to make them disappear. According to all news reports so far, no signs of a struggle had been evident. But children didn’t just vanish. There had to be some explanation for all of this. Some logical explanation. It just wasn’t clear at this present point in time.

“Zanna!” The voice of my mother drifted up the stairs to my room. “Zanna, I’ve got something I need to tell you.”

Uh oh. From the sound of her tone something was very wrong. I hadn’t done anything lately that would provoke her, so this wasn’t anything to do with me. I trudged down the stairs with a heavy feeling in my heart. Had my dad been hurt again? His job was always so endangering. But seeing the look on my mother’s face told me it had nothing to do with my dad.

“Listen, sit next to me.” She patted the seat beside her somewhat grimly, and I sat down at the kitchen table.

“What is it?” I asked slowly, drawing out the words. “What happened?”

She paused for a moment or two before opening her mouth to speak. When she found her voice, it was in a husk, and she cleared her throat. “It’s about Cody. You see…”

I tuned out. No. Impossible. Not Cody. Not Cody.

Rising so fast from the chair that I knocked it to the floor, my feet carried me from the room and I raced out the front door, ignoring my mother’s pleading cries. Cody’s house was only a few blocks from mine. If I hurried, it would only take me minutes to reach it. I needed to see for myself. I had to. No way would that have happened to Cody. It couldn’t.

[continued in next post]

Links
Old 01-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Default Re: Pokemon: Team StormRiders [PG-13] [Chapter 30; A Brief Impasse]

As I rounded the corner all my worst fears were confirmed. A police barrier had been set up around the perimeter of the house. His parents – some of my closest friends – were standing in the doorway. Just standing, so shocked not a word could be coaxed from them. The reporters were trying to gather information but no one would speak. A few policemen ushered the stunned parents inside and closed the door, keeping the reporters at bay for the time being.

Two police cars were at the scene and the men were busily telling passers-by to leave. At that moment one of them came up to me, but I told them I was Cody’s best friend and I needed to see his parents right away. I had to talk to them. When I asked what had happened the policeman who had questioned me gave only a solemn look and shook his head, resting a hand lightly on my shoulder and steering me towards the house.

I entered with a dazed look, glancing towards the tear-stained faces of Cody’s parents. So it was true. The kidnappings were continuing with rapid force, only this time it was my best friend who had been taken. Why not me… Why not me…? Anyone but Cody.

I offered my condolences to his parents, but little could help them. What do you say to someone who has lost a child? Either through murder, or even a horrible kidnapping? Nothing. And I knew that nothing I could say would help either of them, just as nothing anyone else could say would help me. Not now.

Oh, Cody… Why?

The scene changed yet again and a hazy fog cleared to reveal a classroom. My school. Cody was at my side and persistently nudging me with an elbow.

“Zaaaannaaa.” His voice echoed throughout my head. “You’re awake, aren’t you? Don’t fall asleep again. Do you know how embarrassing it was the last time you fell asleep? You drooled, Zanna. You drooled.”

“I’m awake!” I snapped at him irritably, batting away his hand. “I’m just tired. I didn’t get much sleep last night.”

“Stayed up late watching that horror movie? I told you not to. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

“For your information, no,” I answered with a yawn. “I was too busy thinking of what kidnapped you.”

There was a hushed silence between us that lasted for a few minutes. Cody, however, was the first to break it.

“I told you I don’t know what took me – who took me. I don’t even know where I went. All I know was that I was in this strange place. It was like animals could talk, or something.”

I raised an eyebrow at his explanation and shook my head. “Did they give you drugs?” I checked for dilated pupils, knowing full well it would irritate the hell out of him.

“They did not give me drugs!” he said under his breath, angrily. “Animals could talk, Zanna. And there was this dark shadow following me. Scared the hell out of me because I didn’t know what it was.” He threw up his hands and rested them on his desk.

“Cody, that makes no sense and you know it.”

“Not everything in the world has to make sense, Zanna,” he said to me, not bothering to look up. “I know what I saw.”

The bell rang for the end of class and we exited in silence. All I knew was that he hadn’t been the same since he’d returned. Others had returned, too. They’d just shown up at home one day to overjoyed parents. Some still hadn’t come back. Not one of these kids knew who, or what, had taken them, and how they got back. It was as if their memory had been wiped clean upon returning.

It was all so strange. So very, very strange. A world full of talking animals?

Ridiculous. I scoffed at the thought.

My eyes snapped open and I eyed the darkened sky, noticing the sun had dropped and the moon had now risen. Obviously I’d been asleep for longer than I thought. And those dreams… My eyes narrowed. They had felt so real, as if I’d been there before. And my name. My name was also used. “Zanna” they called the human female. Why had I dreamt about humans in the first place? Was it because I really was one of them? Were these visions or…could they be memories?

I was almost sure they seemed like memories. It would make sense, that I saw memories of my human life. But of all times, why now? Why only now did they start appearing to me? What did these strange disappearances have to do with me? I had known a boy called Cody, and another called Hawk. My mother’s voice had seemed so familiar. It was lilting, as if it called out to me. What were these visions?! They made no sense! Kidnappings, of all things!

Wait.

Kidnappings.

“Animals could talk, Zanna. And there was this dark shadow following me.”

Talking animals and a dark shadow? It couldn’t be. I peered down at my furry paws and held them up to my face. I was known as a Pikachu in this world, yet I was sure I hadn’t originally been one. I was sure I had been a human.

These so called ‘kidnappings’ that had happened in another world, a human world, where people were whisked away and returned with no memory… Where people were sure there had been talking animals… Had it been here? Had it been to Talzere that they were transported to? Was I now one of these humans that had mysteriously disappeared? If so, did that mean…did it also mean that I would return?

What would happen if the others found out? What happened if Rye discovered I had been human? The very thought unnerved me; I didn’t want to think about where that would lead me. If the time came and I had to return, could I? However little time I had spent in this world, I had some sort of a home, at least with Jarre, Lani, Codan and Rye. I could imagine myself happy here. Would I be able to leave it all behind?

It was all so…

“Confusing!” I shouted into the sky abruptly. “What am I?!”

“Zanna?”

My herd jerked towards the bushes as Lani’s face peered out at me.

“I’ve gathered the supplies and Tali has seemed to return. We need to get mov– Are you alright?” The Houndoom ‘s gaze narrowed as she looked me over. “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

“I’m alright,” I answered over the pounding of my rapid heartbeat. “I’m alright. I was just taking a nap. I think I fell asleep for longer than I thought.”

The Houndoom smiled warmly at me. “It is quite alright, but we must get moving now. The cover of darkness will give us the advantage tonight. If you no longer wish to sleep, that is.”

“Oh no,” I answered slowly, a sickly feeling rising in my stomach. “I think I’ve had enough sleep to last me a lifetime.”

Jarre followed steadily in the wake of Dash and Codan, trying to jump in the large Dragonite’s footsteps; everywhere else seemed to be covered in sickly puddles of sewage water. This is not what I imagined when the words ‘covert operation’ were mentioned, he thought with a sigh, hopping out of a pile of green gunk that lapped at his talons. But I guess the sooner we reach this Missionary place, the better.

What they would do when they finally reached the Wingardom Missionary was a whole other question. Codan had said they needed to gain the trust of the people at the Missionary to fight alongside Zanna. Where the war was headed, he assumed they needed all the help they could get. The Missionary were already trying to fend off Deoxys and his followers, but it was no news to them that they were failing. Much more of this and they would surely fall. If they bound together as one, maybe they could hold off long enough for them to find a way to defeat this darkness once and for all. At least, that was what Codan had assured him.

Jarre could no longer see the sky in the world outside, but he could tell by his drowsiness that it was getting darker; night had come upon them. And what better time than to go unseen than in the dead of night in a sewer. That was sarcasm on the Torchic’s part.

“It’s not far now,” Codan called out behind him, motioning with a paw for them to hurry. “The sooner we get there, the sooner we can have a nice bed to sleep in!”

And food, Jarre pondered, his beak beginning to water. Oh, Arceus, how I miss good food. It had been nothing but berries and wild fish as they’d been travelling. True, it was better than nothing at all, but the Torchic missed a good banquet. Perhaps they would have one once they arrived at the Missionary. With this thought in mind Jarre doubled his pace, eagerly hopping in and out of Codan’s footprints.

“What’s this Missionary place like, anyway?” he asked into the gloom, and was surprised when Dash answered.

“It’s a large building that is built underground, far beneath the Marble City. It has many elevators and winding tunnels that lead to it,” he added, “so it’s not hard to get to. The building itself is very large, and the walls are smooth and white. In some of the lower floors there are rocky caverns. Apparently they like to use them as a training ground nowadays, but they used to be where the old Missionary was built before they expanded it.”

“So the Missionary wasn’t always as big as it is now?”

“Of course not,” the Sneasel snorted at Jarre’s words, obviously not impressed. “It was expanded upon Commander Virok’s grandfather’s reign. He saw fit to build a larger Missionary because of all the help the people called for. He said a larger place meant that they could help more people. Whether that’s true or not remains to be seen.” He fell silent for a time again, and Jarre spoke up.

“Do you know anything about Commander Virok?” He was about to ask Dash if he knew Rye personally, but he held his tongue at the last moment. As far as the Torchic was concerned he knew next to nothing about this Sneasel and whilst he had tortured him in the past for being part of the Missionary, he did not know if he was still part of it – wound up in Virok’s soldiers – or if he was now a rogue.

“I know little of Virok’s family. If you recall,” he said in a steely tone, “I was there under his father’s reign.”

So that confirmed it. Dash no longer worked for the Missionary. Tali had been with him for a time, too. If she was with Dash now did that mean she no longer worked for them either?

“I do, however, know that Virok has a son called Riley. His late wife, Ameli, died shortly a few years after his birth. I also know that commandership is passed down through the family. Riley will be the next to inherit it.”

The Sneasel stopped there, refusing to answer further questions. Jarre was partly satisfied with his answers, though. He had learnt that Rye was next in line to inherit the Missionary, and that his mother had died when he was still a child. In the many years that Jarre had known Rye, he knew he had never mentioned his mother. Not a word. And now he knew why. But he didn’t know why she had died.

Something of a conscience poked through when he thought about this. It was not really his place to ask, was it? But I don’t care about him. I never cared about that Elekid and I never will. Not even if it were for Zanna’s sake. Though he somewhat doubted if that last part were true. How far would he go for Zanna?

He watched the pool’s surface with distant eyes. Nothing had become clearer than it had been when he was first given that irrepressible vision.

If one survives, the other may fall…

Altair growled, lashing out with a paw and sending water droplets scattering. But he didn’t care. He did not care about anything other than what was going on beyond his reach. Most of all, he cared about what happened to Zanna. He couldn’t do a thing sitting in this god-forsaken place day after day after day… He couldn’t do anything but watch over Darkrai and try to amend for his past mistakes.

It was his fault Deoxys had been created in the first place and he needed to fix it. Because of him, part of his Light Essence had been used to create a monster. Most of it was returned when he had struggled with the darkness inside him, but a little part remained – light traded for dark. Deoxys did not know, but light did indeed reside deep, deep within him, however small. Altair’s light. And he wanted it back.

Was sending that Elekid to Darkrai really a way of self-amendment, or was it just brutality? Did he want to save the Elekid or destroy him? That sneer etched into his face, eyes holding a hint of malice. He was dark – he had darkness in him before he was tainted with the Shadow Poison, Altair was almost sure of that. No, he would not harm the Elekid as long as Zanna felt an attachment to him. He would not hurt her.

A sigh, as light as air itself, escaped the Pikachu’s mouth, and he sat propped up on his elbows again, returning to stare at the still pond. “I miss Trix and Scry. If only I could see them, but…”

The Grovyle and Aipom, Altair’s Light Pokemon partners, had not been sent to his part of the Farplane. The Farplane was split into five segments, each holding different Pokemon according to their death, personality, sins, good deeds and stature. In the very centre, where the five areas met, was where the being Arceus supposedly resided, but that was a long, long time ago. He had not been seen since the Great War. Darkrai resided in the Underworld, an area located below the five segments of the Farplane. That was the area which coincided with the Farplane.

Altair was sent to his area partly as a punishment – to be as close to Darkrai as it would allow him. That way all the memories of his mistakes were constantly forced upon him. Trix and Scry were sent to the more utopian part of the Farplane where Xatu resided. Only sometimes did the Psychic bird break free long enough to visit. The five segments were not often allowed to mix. However, Altair was allowed passage to the Underworld, but at his own risk.

“I can’t stay here forever. Even as an afterlife, I can’t. There has to be a way I can fix all this.”

Even his mutterings did him no good. Ten thousand years deceased had done him no good. He had not yet found a way to escape this prison. Arceus had not answered his pleas for help, and the Light Pokemon was beginning to think their so-called god had forsaken them. For as long as Darkrai remained, so would he. It was impossible. And inescapable. Unless… There could be one way.

The Pikachu raised a paw to his chin thoughtfully. If he remembered correctly, even though it was a long time ago, there was a way in which he could help those in the world of the living. There would be a way in which he could right the wrongs of his past. It was dangerous, of course, but it would all be worth it in the end. Too long had he been sitting around. Too long had he suffered this horrible torment of an afterlife. No more would he be subjected to it.

Unshaken in his resolve, Altair stood and made his way to the far end of the hall, adjacent to the pool. He raised his head to the stone tablet etched to the wall. The depiction of his death. I will change it – No. I will change everything.

“If there is a way, he will know it. And he will free me. Please, watch over me, Lord Arceus.” Altair bowed his head and gazed at the etching one last time with hollow eyes. “It is time I spoke to an old rival.”

----------

Yeah, I'm gonna be lazy this time and leave you to ponder. xD

And as a little note, I often update the first/second post with information, chapter names and *ahem* spoilers. So if you ever want to check it out, feel free.

Links

Last edited by Gem N Ems; 01-07-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: Pokemon: Team StormRiders [PG-13] [Chapter 31; Inklings of a Human]

Interesting how you had Zanna's memories come back to her like that, and how it seems she wasn't the only one in Talzare. Definitely puts a whole new dynamic on the story, and whether Zanna will ever let any of the others know the truth, or attempt to keep it secret for as long as she can.

I still think this deserves the award for "story with the most stressed-out cast of characters." XD

Old 01-08-2011, 02:14 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Interesting how you had Zanna's memories come back to her like that, and how it seems she wasn't the only one in Talzare. Definitely puts a whole new dynamic on the story, and whether Zanna will ever let any of the others know the truth, or attempt to keep it secret for as long as she can.

I still think this deserves the award for "story with the most stressed-out cast of characters." XD
I figured it was about time for Zanna's human self to make an appearance. We all know she started off as one. :O I just wonder what will happen if Jarre and Rye find out. Hopefully they don't go crazy...

Thanks, Neo. XD I'm trying to make it happier, but really, a war isn't meant to be happy.

Links
Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 PM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

You're really into splitting between the characters right now, huh? S'ok. I like it so far. Gives a good dynamic, seeing what is going on with each character from where they stand.
Poor Tali, but it seems like she could have a little more in common with Zanna than she thinks. Having been separated from Rakai like that. Although, it seems where she's trying to find him, Zanna had to actually fight Rye. .....I'm not gonna try to argue which one could be worse. >.>
And some memories of the past come back to give Zanna clues. Should be interesting how that works out.
Y'know, I've kinda been wondering what Altair has been up to. You kinda left him after he showed the way to Darkrai. Can't imagine what he has in mind to do now. I'm curious who the old rival is though.

Only two things caught my attention this time through.

Quote:
And what better time than to go unseen than in the dead of night in a sewer.
I think that first than needs to go.

Quote:
He said a larger place meant that they could help more people.
I didn't know there were people in this world! =o
That's more of a nitpick than a mistake on my part. Sorry. XD
Old 01-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_pop View Post
You're really into splitting between the characters right now, huh? S'ok. I like it so far. Gives a good dynamic, seeing what is going on with each character from where they stand.
Poor Tali, but it seems like she could have a little more in common with Zanna than she thinks. Having been separated from Rakai like that. Although, it seems where she's trying to find him, Zanna had to actually fight Rye. .....I'm not gonna try to argue which one could be worse. >.>
And some memories of the past come back to give Zanna clues. Should be interesting how that works out.
Y'know, I've kinda been wondering what Altair has been up to. You kinda left him after he showed the way to Darkrai. Can't imagine what he has in mind to do now. I'm curious who the old rival is though.

Only two things caught my attention this time through.

I think that first than needs to go.

I didn't know there were people in this world! =o
That's more of a nitpick than a mistake on my part. Sorry. XD
I tried not to split the views too much, but they need their story told. ^^; It shouldn't be like this for the next few chapters, though. It'll be pretty solid based on what I need to write.

xD Yeah, Tali does have that in common with Zanna. I can't imagine the pain to be separated from a best friend. :< Zanna having to fight Rye was bad enough, but I wonder what'll happen when they meet up again? :O

I originally didn't have many plans for Altair, but I thought of something that would stretch the limits and make things rather interesting. As for his rival, well, you'll end up seeing who that is. But, uh, not for a bit. Too much going on for Altair to be dragged back anytime soon. xD

And thanks for catching those. xD Definitely no humans in this world! Haha!

Links
Old 01-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Golden_Ray Offline
Experienced Trainer

I somehow managed to miss... what? Three chapters? *shakes head*

I liked Cody from the first time he appeared even though his appearance was short and I had always wished we could learn more about him in some way. So, I'm glad he got another part in the story and such an interesting one too! I'm starting to wonder if there are other humans-turned-pokemon beside Zanna left back in Talzere...
Old 01-23-2011, 05:53 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

I think Altair is going to speak to Darkrai, but it's just a hunch :)

And...Is it wrong I want Tali to become a Dark Pokemon? I mean, if she wants to be with Rakai so much...Just sayin'.

And no Rye? Boo. I wanted to see more of his exploits! XD
Old 01-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassy_Aggron View Post
I think Altair is going to speak to Darkrai, but it's just a hunch :)

And...Is it wrong I want Tali to become a Dark Pokemon? I mean, if she wants to be with Rakai so much...Just sayin'.

And no Rye? Boo. I wanted to see more of his exploits! XD
Haha, we'll see. Rye's gonna be in there soon. He'll make a grand appearance in a few chapters. xD As for Tali, I doubt she's THAT much trouble. I don't think. She can be really snooty, though. x3

And Golden! Glad to see you're still reading. xD

The humans disappearing part I didn't think of until recently, but I developed a good plot-arc for it, which will probably be in the sequel. I don't want this story to be too long, and as it happens, I already have 65 chapters planned out for it. =x

Links
Old 02-01-2011, 01:16 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Default Re: Pokemon: Team StormRiders [PG-13]

----------

Chapter 32;
...........................the wingardom missionary

----------

The sunlight met my weary eyes with a burst of golden energy. The path we were on began to fade from view as I was momentarily blinded. Sliding my eyelids half shut I shielded my face with a paw, my head twisted back in the direction of Lani. The Houndoom had followed my steps over the small hill and stood gazing in awe at the scene before her. Tali, who was to Lani’s left, was rather indifferent about the whole thing and seemed to be irritated by the sudden flash of sunlight, uninspired at all. When I regained my vision, I was taken aback at the sight before me.

The Marble City, Wingardom, stood before us. Huge stone walls surrounded the entire city and shielded most buildings from view, albeit a few very tall-looking skyscrapers. A clock tower stood in what seemed to be the centre of the town, laced with silver and gold patterns of past relics; ancient Pokemon. At that moment a peal chime sounded and a song rang out across the town, sending the nearby airborne Pokemon to life.

The song was one I recognised at once, for I’d heard it not too long ago when Jarre was injured in the hospital wing at the PRA. The lullaby of Suicune of the North Wind. The harmonious chords soothed my wrenched spirit and made me forget all my troubles in an instant. It called to me and I wanted nothing more than to answer it.

“Lani!” I called to the Houndoom, an ecstatic smile on my face. “This city is amazing!” For the first time since I could remember, I felt so unbelievably happy and overjoyed. Never in my life had I seen such a city.

I raced on all fours to the large entrance gate where two Gallade were standing, heads cast in my direction. They both wore a steel helmet and chainmail across their bodies; the attire of a guard. Carved into the brow of the helmets was a symbol blazed in gold. The intricate designs formed two rising wings, spiralling towards the heavens. As I took a closer look, the gate was also carved with the same design. It must be the symbol of the town, or the king who resided here.

“Halt. What is your business here?” The Gallade closest to me held its arm out to the side and a green leaf-blade spear materialised into view, blocking my path. It peered down at me with narrowed eyes, but an unreadable expression. What could be seen through the helmet, anyway.

“We have come to seek the Freedom Fighters.” Lani stepped past me and bowed her head to the guards, each in turn. “I am Lani of the Pokemon Rescue Association located in Likera Town.”

A sharp intake of breath from the guard told me it was not unheard of.

“The town that was recently attacked by Deoxys? That is from which you hail?” The Gallade cast anxious glances over all of us, lingering on Tali.

“That is true,” Lani replied gravely. “We are survivors of the attack, and wish to rally the support of your Missionary. Our numbers are now small, but with your help we may replenish them. Will you allow us?”

The two Gallade exchanged glances and a few nods. Whatever was being said was done telepathically, for not a word was said aloud. After a time they had finished conversing. The second Gallade who had not yet spoken turned to me and pointed.

“That one, the Pikachu with the white circle on her tail. Is that the Light Pokemon who is being targeted?”

So it seemed Deoxys was not the only one who had heard of me. Lani was right when she had said news travels fast. I found my voice before Lani could speak on my behalf.

“I am,” I spoke to the Gallade, standing up to my full height. “My name is Zanna, and I wish to gather the aid of the Wingardom Missionary in the fight against Deoxys. That is why we have come.”

The Gallade considered this for a second, with a stern gaze, and then nodded. “You may enter, and you will have a personal escort to the Missionary. Nowhere is safe these days.” He nodded past the hills. “Trouble is never far away.”

At a gesture from his partner, the first Gallade signalled further up the wall to someone who I could not see. A giant creaking ensued as the great oak gate before me began to swing open. I watched with amazement at the sight of the inner city.

There were large houses, small houses, shops, more shops, and Pokemon everywhere! Without even realising I took a step towards the gate, not registering the tentative stares of the Gallade following my movements.

“We’ve organised your escort for you.” The Gallade to my left gestured with a hand, snapping me out of my reverie. “They will be here shortly.”

As if on cue, two distinct figures made their way from the bustling crowd, slowly coming into focus. Peering intently, I wondered who they were. The figures were not big, nor small, but they could still be very powerful. Strong guards as an escort? I was liking this. Then my smile faded in an instant.

“Sir.” A head bowed towards the two Gallade followed by another. “I was told we were to escort- you?!” The yellow-green face of Kraal the Leafeon stared back in utter surprise. His partner, Marilai, was much the same.

“S-sir,” Marilai uttered, a look of contempt on her face. “We have to escort them?”

The Gallade merely glanced down at the two dogs and nodded. “King’s orders. Is there a problem, private?”

The Glaceon glanced at me before hanging her head in defeat. “No, sir. Come on,” she turned to Kraal, “let’s go.”

Oh great. Not only had my smile gone, but my happy feelings had been sucked away too. I had to put up with these two as an escort? I’d rather be stuck alone with Tali. It was with that thought the three of us followed the two dogs into the town centre, and the bustling crowd.

As we passed through various stalls, owners were crying out fresh goods for sale. A Slowking nearby stepped close to us as we passed. “Plenty of fish, sea-fresh from the piers, young ‘uns!” He smiled and held out a fish in his claws, but one shake of Kraal’s head silenced him.

“Missionary business.”

I grimaced apologetically at the Slowking and hurried along. It was then that a cry reached my ears. My head whirled to face a side-alley where two grown Marowak had cornered a little Ralts. They held the kid trapped against the far wall with a bone-club. My fur bristled as I veered off to hear what was being said.

“Tell us, kid! Tell us what you saw!” The Marowak that had the Ralts pinned pressed harder with its club. “I know you saw somethin’, so quit lyin’ already!”

“I-I told you I couldn’t make it out! It was just a blur!” The poor Ralts struggled to breathe as the bone was pressed harder against its neck. “P-please-”

“Blur or no blur, you tell us now!” The second Marowak spoke with conviction, its face grim. “I dun’ care if it changes the future – I want to know!”

“Hey, you. Stop what you’re doing right now.” Both Marowak turned to face me as I stood tall, seething with anger. The one pinning the Ralts removed its club and redirected it towards me.

“A Pikachu? And what is it you want, eh? This is none o’ your business!”

“I beg to differ!” I had no idea what had come over me, but the second I saw that Ralts in trouble I knew I had to intervene. It seemed too much like my recent dream – my memory – only this time I was in a situation where I could stop it before it got worse. “I’m going to say this once and once nicely. Step away from the Ralts.”

“HAH!” The second Marowak turned to me and barked out a laugh. “We have a little something we need from this ‘ere Ralts. We’re not gonna let her go easy.” He turned to the Ralts with a manic grin spread across his face. “So if you want her before we’re done, you’re gonna hafta fight us!”

As if on cue, both Marowak took a battle stance in front of the Ralts, bearing their bone-clubs high. So it had come to this. A battle. Electricity crackled from my cheeks.

“Stop this at once!” My head snapped round to see Kraal stepping lithely past me, shooting a glare as he did so. “What are you two doing?” The Leafeon looked hard at the two Marowak who immediately lowered their clubs.

“Kraal, sir, we were just… nothin’.” The first Marowak shrugged and stepped to the side.

“And the kid?”

“We was just helpin’ her back. She got lost.” The second Marowak nudged its partner and the two scuttled past. “We need to get goin’ now. Bye!”

What a sorry bunch they are, I thought as the two raced away into the streets. I started to snicker but the Leafeon had turned and strode right up to me.

“What do you think you’re doing?! You can’t just step into alleys in broad daylight! I know you’re this ‘Chosen One’ and all, but you can’t do whatever you want just because you feel like it! We’re supposed to escort you safely, and that’s what we’re going to do.”

“Like it or not,” Marilai snapped, stepping up next to Kraal. “Now hurry and follow us. If you get left behind again we won’t help you.”

“But the Ralts,” I started, casting an anxious glance towards the back of the alley, but it was nowhere to be seen.

“Must have teleported,” Kraal shrugged. “Now let’s go. That’s the last time I’m telling you.” He backed out of the alley and Marilai followed, leaving me alone to stare at the empty spot where the Ralts had been, and wondering what on earth those two Marowak wanted from it.

~*~

“Commander, Major Kraal and Private Marilai have the escorts. They have all arrived safely. Shall I send them in?”

Virok sat within his chair, glancing idly up at the communications screen. No word had come from Rye in over a week. What was that boy up to? Had the tracer been placed on the project? If so, he was not receiving a clear signal and that was trouble. It was good news, however, that the project in question now happened to be on his very doorstep. He shuddered with pleasure at the thought. It was all so convenient. Swinging around, Virok tapped his claws on the arm of the chair, eyeing the messenger that had spoken to him.

“Please, Nadal, see if our guests would like to eat first. There is much to discuss, but they must be famished.”

“I’ll send orders to the cook right away, Commander.” The Persian, Nadal, nodded and turned brusquely on her paws, exiting the room in silence.

Swivelling his chair back to the communication screen, Virok pondered his thoughts. There was much to discuss with the new Light Pokemon, indeed. With her arrival, he may be finally able to complete his plan. He could destroy Deoxys once and for all. But first, a call was to be made. Virok tapped into his telepathic link, searching for a familiar signal.

“Rakai?”

The silence buzzed and faded, a voice slowly coming into focus. “Sir.”

“She’s here. Be ready when I give the signal.”

“Aye, Commander.”

“And Rakai… this time things will not go wrong.”

A short silence crackled over the link, and a short sneer.

“Aye. They will not.”

~*~

“Right this way, please. Our Commander has decided to welcome you with a gracious banquet.”

A banquet! After all this time I could not imagine how such food might taste. If I recalled correctly, I had never had much of a good meal whilst in this world, albeit for the ones when training at the PRA. Jarre, Dash and Codan had yet to arrive, but I doubted they would be too far off, and Lani assured me that it was alright to enjoy our time here without worrying about them.

Upon arrival at the Missionary, Kraal and Marilai had forsaken their escort duties – gladly – to rejoin their fellow soldiers. Instead a kindly Persian named Nadal had taken us in and given us a brief tour of the facilities. Not much, but it was enough for the time being. She told us that once we had properly rested from our long trip she would give us a grand tour and then we might grant an audience with the Commander – Virok himself!

I was both nervous and anxious about meeting Rye’s father. I had never thought about it that much before, but the feeling had suddenly hit me. I wanted to know all I could about the Missionary, if they were to fight alongside me. I was happy I could finally get the chance to turn the tides of war my way, but I was also very concerned about the words Rye had imparted to me in his letter. If Virok was indeed creating an army of dark Pokemon he could be considered a dangerous threat. I had not breathed a word of this to any of the others, but it had dawned on me if I wanted to keep them out of harm’s way I had to mention my suspicions. I didn’t know what I’d do if my own foolishness got them hurt.

Nadal led us through winding halls of the white-washed building. It was very large, that was for certain. We met few Pokemon along the way save for a couple of soldiers from the medical unit who were returning with casualties. ‘A forest fire’, Nadal had explained when I asked. It appeared there were many happening of late, as the spring season bloomed on.

At last we entered a large, circular room lined with tables. Food adorned them in bucket loads! Fresh Magikarp, Rattata, berries and more! I had never seen so much food in my life, least of all thought about eating as much. If only Jarre were here to see this, I thought, and was briefly overcome by sadness at the fact my best friend was not here. But he would arrive soon enough.

“Right this way. There is a small table at the back which has been reserved for you.”

It seemed we were to sit outside this fine evening. We were led out to an alcove which opened up to a spacious balcony. The sight was absolutely magnificent. Luscious green foliage surrounded a small lake bordered with pebbles of all shapes and sizes. Different species of fish swam within. Even though the Missionary was built far underground, the banquet hall was situated closer to the surface.

“There is nothing better than eating a fresh meal outdoors,” Nadal sighed with serenity. “You young’uns eat up now,” she turned to Tali and I. “Need your energy. It was a pleasure meeting you all. If you need absolutely anything, just sing out. I have ears like a Loudred!” With that she padded off silently, disappearing into the shadows at the far end of the alcove.

Lani turned to the two Pokemon and smiled. “And so one journey has ended, let us celebrate this with a lovely feast!” Tali began eating, but I poked at my food sourly. It didn’t escape Lani’s notice. “Zanna,” she lowered her voice, “there is no need to worry. The others will be here soon. I have known Codan for such a long time that if he were in danger, I would feel it.”

I nodded and smiled meekly, shoving a forkful of Razz berries into my mouth. “Thank you, Lani.” Somehow that Houndoom always did know just what to say.

After we had eaten, Lani and Tali had been shown to the sleeping quarters which were much further down. I was kept with Nadal, as she told me the Commander wished to speak with me before I retired for the night. She padded silently in the direction of the Commander’s quarters, which were much more spacious than the rest, of course. He was, at this very moment, located in the command room, where he could oversee every action happening in the town. Nadal said he had been busy for the past few weeks analysing a lot of data about Deoxys and his followers, trying to locate their next moves, but he was a slippery red devil. She also said it had made the Commander rather restless, and I was to try to disturb him as little as possible – to keep to his good side.

We arrived just outside his door a moment later. Like all the other doors within the facility, it had a mechanical lock built into the centre of the silvery-white frame. When the locks were green, they were open. Red meant it was inaccessible. The lock at this moment was now green. Upon reaching the door it slid open with a slight whir. I glimpsed a large chair and lots of mechanical equipment within the room. However, it was the figure within the chair that most unnerved me. I glanced nervously at the Persian. She inclined her head slightly, and I turned to step into the room.

I entered in complete silence, the door sliding shut behind me, only a single thought buzzing through my mind. A single name. Virok Virok Virok. But I could not see the Commander. His chair was facing a long row of large screens, obviously recording data and monitoring the town. A large yellow and black striped arm appeared over the right side of the arm chair and I froze. That was close enough, I decided. Though I could not see his face, every inch of the aura that emanated from him spelled danger. It warned me to stay away and not come any closer. Being in no position to bargain, it was in my best interest to heed the warning.

After I had been standing for what seemed like a few minutes, a deep voice reached my ears. “Welcome, Light Pokemon.”

Virok.

The Electivire swung his chair around ever so slowly, a gentle creak spreading throughout the room. Virok’s voice was deep and masculine. It held ice, though I was sure it was from years of operating with dark energy. My gaze swung over his dense figure, taking in the muscular power – large arms, legs, a harsh smile and his eyes… His eyes, unlike the emerald of Rye’s, were a deep crimson; almost black. It was as if emotion itself no longer existed within him, turning his heart as black as ash. I gulped, hoping this would definitely not be the case.

Unable to find my voice, Virok spoke again. “You have a name, I presume?” he asked, sounding irritated.

“Y-yes, Zanna,” I stammered after clearing my throat. Why are you stammering, you fool?! It took everything I had to not stare directly at his black eyes. Instead I trained myself to fixate just over his right shoulder. There.

“Zanna. What a…fitting name,” he decided, a slight smile crossing his face. I had no idea what he meant by that, but a bad feeling suddenly rooted itself in the pits of my stomach. “We have much to discuss, you and I,” he continued, “regarding the defences of Talzere. But I wish to start off with something a little more personal. Let us get to know each other. After all, if we are to work together, I think it would be best if we knew at least a little about the other’s history, wouldn’t you say?” Virok smiled wider, and the pit in my stomach fell into an abyss.

Great. I could not tell him I was a human, not from this world. I hadn’t even come up with an alibi about my past yet. Stupid me, not thinking it would be an issue! But here I was and Virok was asking me about my past. Wait, what did it matter? I didn’t have to tell him anything. My past was my past, and it was private. Still, if I wanted him to trust me I had better come up with something and fast. I hope he doesn’t think I’m mentally deficient, standing here like this. I grimaced and managed a weak nod.

“Excellent! I will start first.” Virok stepped from his chair, took two paces towards me and lowered his gaze, for he towered over me like a giant. “My name is Virok and I sit as Commander at the Wingardom Missionary, and head of the Marble City. Make no mistake; I am not its king, as such, but more of a guider. I guide the city to do what is best.”

Right… I thought icily, my eyelids sliding lower ever so slightly. He was adept at lying, that was for certain.

[continued in next post]

Links

Last edited by Gem N Ems; 02-01-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:27 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

“My father ruled before me, and his father before that. The Missionary has been in my family for generations and that is the way it shall be kept.” He paused for a moment. “I have a son called Rye, perhaps you know him?” A dangerous glint entered his eyes and I gulped. He was challenging me; judging me to see what I knew. Well, I would not lie. I would answer him head on.

“Yes, I know Rye,” I said with clarity. “I met him in Likera at the Pokemon Rescue Association.” Then, remembering the ribbon was meant to be a tracer, I reached towards it and held it up for Virok to see. “In fact, your son was very nice and gave me this ribbon. I am quite fond of the etchings on the side, but I’m afraid I don’t know what they mean. Do you, sir?”

“They are runes of the ancient language, child,” Virok said, indulging my request. “I cannot read what they say, but there is a library here if you do wish to find out after. Though I must say that ribbon is very fitting on you, indeed.” I noticed his pupils thin ever so slightly, swivelling over the white fabric. Was he trying to find the tracer that did not exist? I smiled inwardly at the thought. His son was no longer his own.

“Thank you, sir,” I bowed my head slightly.

“By chance, do you know where my son is now?” Virok peered down at me with an inquisitive gaze. He didn’t know where Rye was. Well, nor did I for that matter. I was only lucky I didn’t flinch now when I heard his name, otherwise Virok might be very suspicious of me.

“I’m afraid not, sir,” I replied, looking downcast. “He left us long before the attack on the PRA, when Deoxys attacked.” I lied.

“Ah, yes, the infamous PRA attack. I heard that Deoxys had finally come out of hiding. It looks like he knows what you are up to, child. It looks like he wishes to stop you.” Again, I felt a piercing gaze boring through me. What was he doing so intently? Why was he studying me as if trying to peer into my soul?

“He does. And that’s why I have come to the Missionary; because I realised that to win this war I need your aid – not just you, but the entire town. Sir…I am at a loss if you do not help.” I watched as the Electivire raised a hand to his chin, rubbing it back and forth.

“Of course, child, you will have our help. But I wish to enquire about you first. You are a Light Pokemon, are you not? How did you gain this power? This unfathomable power of light.” There was something eerie about the way he said ‘light’ that I did not like.

“I, well, I’m not sure, sir. I was captured by Deoxys for a brief time when he attacked the PRA. I was very scared and had no idea why he was after me. One of his followers, a Gengar named Arc, told me that Deoxys wanted my soul. He…he didn’t say why,” I interjected hastily. I was not letting this Pokemon know I was human. Worst case scenario, he could tell Rye. Then where would I be? “But after when he was torturing me, and I felt like I might die, this new power overcame me. It was nothing like I had ever felt before. It washed away all the worry and doubt I had, causing me to grow very strong and calm. My head was so much clearer and I was able to fend off the Gengar until I was rescued. I was lucky, really.”

“Lucky, indeed,” Virok mused. “It has been over 10,000 years since a Light Pokemon has graced this earth, the very last being Altair. If I recall, he was a Pikachu like yourself. How very intriguing. They say that Altair sacrificed himself to send Darkrai to the Underworld, you know. It was by his actions that the Pokemon kind was freed from torment. Until Deoxys arrived, that is. I presume you know of the Great War?”

I shook my head. “Very little of it.”

“Ah, well! Short story is the Dark Ones were unleashed upon this world by Darkrai. Lord Arceus created the Light Ones – Pokemon that would banish the darkness. He did not foresee that they would all lose their lives in the Great War, but it was a sad price they were willing to pay for freedom. The rest is a story for another time. While the past events of history bore me, I’m sure yours will not. How did one such as you come to Likera and enrage Deoxys so?” He seemed to be positively glowing as he asked the question. I just gulped.

“I, er, I was lost. I was taken from my parents with little warning; I’m not sure by whom. But I awoke in Likera where I had been rescued, it seemed. I was really grateful for that. I still have no idea if my family is alive or dead, or if… I will ever see them again.” It was the honest truth, if only leaving out a few minor details. Virok studied me closer, if that were possible, but for the most part appeared satisfied.

“I see. Now, before we turn to business, are there any questions you would like to ask? I’m sure there is much you wish to know about the city.”

For a dark Electivire, he certainly was indulging every desire I had. It scared me to think why this was. Why was he acting so friendly when Rye said he was raising an army of Dark Pokemon? Maybe he wasn’t as bad as Rye had said. His tone and demeanour were cold, true, but he didn’t seem evil. I knew that Elekid had been blowing things out of proportion. But as long as I was here I would remain wary, and be careful in regards to what I said.

“How old is the city? I noticed it’s very grand. Surely it wasn’t always like this?”

Virok threw his head back and laughed. It was in no way like Rye’s – the bell-like peal I was never tired of hearing – but rather coarse and unrefined. “Arceus, no, child! This town used to be as small as an Oran berry, let me tell you! It was in my great, great grandfather’s reign that things began to spruce up a bit. We used to have houses built from trees, as you see in the smaller towns. Houses that accommodated the landscape. But as we learned to harness the wilderness, we were able to build grand things made of stone. Almost every building you see in this town is made of stone, whether it is white-washed, marble or something else entirely! We learned to use the skills Lord Arceus gave us to make the land fit us, and not the other way around. After all, we are the supreme beings on this earth.” He said this so matter of fact that I was beginning to see what a narrow mind he had.

“This town is one of the oldest in all of Talzere, dating way back to times before the light predecessors. We are also the capital city, where all information centres. Pokemon at local taverns are always sharing gossip and the like; that is how we at the Missionary receive most of our leads. It is not just our soldiers that do the field work.”

“How many soldiers are there?” For the first time since I’d entered, I raised my eyebrows curiously.

“Many,” Virok answered. “We have soldiers by the hundreds. Thousands, even. They are all specially trained in an area of combat. We have the pure-bred fighters, soldiers – privates, majors, lieutenants, corporals, generals and the sort – navigators, trackers, sentinels, vanguards, agents and such. Then you have your rogues. They’re always causing trouble for us. But each unit specialises in a skill that the Missionary cannot do without. I, as Commander, oversee all the units and make sure they’re doing their job correctly. It’s not easy running a town, child.”

I didn’t believe for a second it was. It then occurred to me that I knew Virok had a son, Rye, but he had not mentioned Rye’s mother. I mean, surely, he had one. It never occurred to me to ask Rye, either. “I’m sorry to ask, sir, but if you have a son, you must have a wife?”

It was all too easy to see the lines on Virok’s face crease at the question. All too clear to see the pain in his dusky eyes. It was the first time since I’d entered the room that I felt his dangerous aura recede. Maybe his heart was not as black as I thought.

“I had…a late wife, Ameli. She died shortly after giving birth to our son. It was not her time.” He waved a hand. “Enough of this, you should proceed to your sleeping quarters, child, there is much to discuss tomorrow about the upcoming battle.”

“Of course, sir, thank you for the chat. It was nice to get to know you a little.”

“Oh, Zanna,” he stared at me, his gaze widening an inch. “You have no idea. The pleasure is all mine.” As his dark aura returned I whirled and hurried from the room, and his sight, to Nadal waiting just outside. The Persian had an uncanny knack for knowing when and where she was wanted.

“Now Zanna, dear,” she purred, “your friends are waiting up in the sleeping quarters. You best be getting some shut-eye now. There is much to do tomorrow!”

She trotted off happily and I followed in her wake, all the while feeling the piercing gaze of the Electivire on my back.

~*~

“What a delightful little chat that was,” Virok exclaimed with glee, returning to his chair. “Rakai,” he called to his right. “Did you get anything?”

“Aye. I was able to analyse some of the data, sir.” The Weavile slowly came into focus as his invisibility wore off. He was situated in a far corner of the room latched to the ceiling. A strange device was strapped around his head and what seemed like a scanner stretched across his eye. It flickered in strange motions.

“What was found?”

“Her aura is particularly strong and difficult to read. If I compare it to the recent deceased Light Pokemon, Altair, there is little difference in strength. This could become one brutal fight.”

“Powers?”

“She can heal, it seems, but the rest appear to lay dormant deep within her. That side won’t be much of a challenge. She must have had a battle quite recently, because her tail was broken and is still healing. Her condition is far from weak, however.”

“Hmm.” The Electivire raised an arm to the monitor closest to him and pressed a button. “Dispatch Maske. I want to see how the Light Pokemon handles herself in a situation such as this.”

Rakai widened his gaze. “Are you sure, sir? That might not be called for, my data says-”

“Oh, damn your data!” Virok cried, bringing a fist down on the table.

Rakai flinched, but remained firmly rooted to the ceiling. “Half the Missionary could be destroyed by that Feraligatr alone! It will take ages to rebuild!”

“Why Rakai,” Virok lowered his voice to a whisper and laced it with ice. “You’d think you were more concerned about the Missionary than your own life.”

The Weavile dashed from the room faster than a blink of the eye could follow. Virok smiled. Life was good. Now for the test to begin.

~*~

My eyes were barely closed when a loud rumble issued through the building, shaking the whole room. Lani and Tali were both upright in an instant.

“What the hell was that?!” the Buizel cursed, rubbing her eyes. “You try to get some sleep, honestly!”

Lani shot a sharp look at the Buizel but turned her head to me. “That seemed like trouble, young ones. You two better stay here while I go see what it is. I will confer with the Commander and be back as soon as possible.” The Houndoom bounded out of the room without another word.

“Damn Arceus,” Tali cursed from across the room.

“Oh, shut up,” I glared at her, but the Buizel only poked out her tongue in defiance. She was a real irritating ball of fur, that Pokemon! “Well don’t just stand there in a daze. Make yourself useful and set up a barrier!”

Tali peered at me. “Whatever would we need a barrier for? As if some huge monster is going to come walking in here and attack us. Hah!” She sneered and proceeded to laugh.

Through seething anger and gritted teeth I snapped back a command. “Just do it!”

The Buizel muttered a never-ending string of curses in my direction but dutifully raised her arms, creating invisible force fields that would stop negative energy from coming our way. As she did so, I waited patiently for Lani to return. It was hard, however, to tune out from the rumbling noise which was growing louder by the second. To distract myself I tried to reach out with my mind, seeing if I could sense the location of the disturbance, but the Missionary defences were far too advanced for my level.

“Dark Pokemon!”

Lani skidded through the doorway, gasping and crying out. “There is a dark Pokemon on this very route! I think it is after you, Zanna. We must escape before it reaches – oof!”

The Houndoom yelped as she was knocked off her feet and sent flying through the air across the room. Tali and I ducked just in time.

“Lani!” I screamed, but it was drowned out by an overwhelming roar.

From the shadows of the doorway appeared a large black Pokemon. It stomped forward and I caught a glint of its face in the dim light. Teeth – thousands of teeth – in many rows lined its jaws. Its eyes glared savagely, arms stretched out to attack. I recognised it at once as a Feraligatr, not from instinct, but because I had seen one briefly whilst at the PRA. Normally they were a teal blue colour. This one, as a dark Pokemon, appeared dusky grey.

It roared again and I raised an arm to shield myself from the drool that was constantly being flung from its mouth. Being scared wasn’t an option, though I would be lying if I said I wasn’t. Lani was rendered unconscious on the floor and Tali seemed struck with dread. As the Feraligatr stepped forward again it hit something. Something invisible. I had been right to suggest raising a barrier. Tali’s barriers seemed to have stopped it in its tracks. Or so I thought. With a groan the Dark Pokemon raised its right arm, bringing it crashing down upon the invisible barrier. The next step it took brought it closer towards us. I cringed.

“I thought those barriers were to stop it from getting through!” I yelled back to Tali. But it looked, for once, as if she was lost for words. With Lani unconscious and Tali’s barriers being knocked down effortlessly, we were in for a tough fight. Assuming we would even get out alive. This was the Missionary for Arceus’ sake! Where were all the reinforcements?!

But there was no time to think. The huge Feraligatr was coming closer and I had to stop it. From what I knew, the Pokemon was a water type and my electric attacks would be super effective. Reaching deep within, I readied what I hoped would be a powerful thunderbolt. “Step back!” I told Tali, who for once, obediently obeyed. I then launched the attack directly at the Feraligatr and watched as it cried out, crumpling into a heap on the floor. “Yes!”

I thought for sure my attack had worked, but it was all too easy. I was sure it wouldn’t go down so fast. My intuition proved right as the Feraligatr merely shook away the rest of the static and roared again, scrambling to its feet. A closer look and I could see my attack had left no mark – not a singed scrap of scales to be found. My smile broke with dismay. It was a Dark Pokemon. Yes, of course it would be stronger than normal. Well, I thought. If my attacks can’t do me justice in this form, perhaps I ought to try my other.

My ears now easily blocked out the savage roaring and stomping of the Pokemon and I closed my eyes. It was hard to do so without wondering if I was about to be squished, but an inner calm had begun to spread through me, telling me that everything would be alright. A gasp issued from behind me – Tali’s –and I realised my fur must be changing to the white hue it so often took in my Light form. It was then that I opened my eyes and glared, glared hard at the enemy causing such distress. Though I could not be sure, it seemed the Feraligatr flinched under my gaze. A smirk touched my lips. Now it was my time to fight back.

Bashing through the barriers with speed, the Feraligatr came close enough to lunge at me. Its jaw snapped towards my tail but I dodged – and just in time. It crashed into the wall, sending debris flying. Tali had come to her senses and was dragging Lani out of the way of our battlefield.

I readied another thunderbolt and released the crackling white energy. This time on impact it singed the underbelly of the Pokemon, leaving a blackened scorch mark. My attacks now had effect. But the Dark Pokemon whipped its head round almost immediately and opened its mouth. A beam of bright cold energy bore into my body, knocking the wind from my stomach. I slammed into the wall with such force I became dazed, unable to stand upright.

W-what was that? I peered through my half-shut eyelids. The Feraligatr was up and charging towards me again. This time it took all my energy to run in the right direction and not crash into an object. I was dizzy and uncoordinated. In no way could I launch an attack like this. It would be likely I could hit Tali or Lani.

But something sparked in my mind. The body of the Feraligatr was becoming clearer as I focused on it. This time when it came close enough, I lithely dodged its paw and grabbed onto its back, holding tight with my tiny paws. Though it tried to shake me off my resolve was strong. I let loose another thunderbolt, singing every scale upon the Feraligatr’s body. As it fell to the floor once more I backed away to the far side of the room, gathering my energy.

I felt weaker than usual. Maybe I wasn’t yet healed from my fight with Rye that had roughed me up so much. At the thought my tail twinged with a slight ache, but I ignored it. I was no longer dazed, although my energy was draining fast. The Feraligatr stood on its feet for a second time and let out the most devastating roar yet. I cringed, covering my ears with my paws. Leer! My feet suddenly felt wobbly.

My eyes caught my make-shift bed. It had escaped my notice that the Orb of Sorrow, which I usually carried very close to my side, had rolled away from underneath my downy pillow. Straight towards the Feraligatr! “NO, STOP!” I shrieked in panic. The orb was very special, an Orb of Altair. If that Feraligatr crushed the orb we would all be lost. No, no, no!

Disregarding my safety I raced after the orb, just as the Dark Pokemon reached down with its jaw. I’m going to be eaten, was my last thought. But then a miraculous thing occurred. As my paw connected with the orb it glowed, illuminating the room in silver light. Feelings of such sadness coursed through my body, casting away the golden warmth of my Light form and disrupting it. My fur turned to yellow once more and I lay in a heap on the ground, curled into a tight ball.

Shadows beckoned and called to me, lamenting with sorrow. Zaaaaaannnaaaa, they hissed into my ears. You shall die where you sleep, Zanna. The light has forsaken you. You…will…die.

My eyes snapped open, glowering fiercely at the orb. “No I won’t.” A brief glance told me both Tali and the Feraligatr were blinded, but I was not. I alone could clearly see through the light of the orb and it did not touch me. “I will not die,” I continued, “and you will answer to me!”

At my cry the light of the orb faded and emitted a wailing screech. It did not harm me, nor Tali, or Lani for that matter. But the Dark Pokemon fell to the floor, clawing at its ears with such power that they began to bleed. It roared and lashed out with its tail, screeching in agony.

[continued in next post]

Links

Last edited by Gem N Ems; 02-01-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:31 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

“S……stoooopp.”

It was the first time I had heard the Pokemon speak. I thought perhaps it was unable to, but it appeared that was not the case. Finding my feet, I scrambled to a sitting position and grabbed the orb within both my paws. The sorrow I now felt was strange and hollow to me. It didn’t have the effect it used to when I held it. The power of it now seemed reigned in – more in control. Mine. I held the orb closer to the Feraligatr, as a test, and it roared again, clawing harder.

It was amazing, the power this orb had. The Feraligatr seemed completely incapacitated. It could not move – it was paralysed. How had this happened? Just when all was surely lost this orb, the Orb of Sorrow, had come to my aid. Such is the power of the Orbs of Altair. What were these orbs?

“Sttttooooppppp,” The Feraligatr wailed again, its voice curdling. “I’ll teeelll you. I’ll tell you.”

“Tell me what?” I glared, but I was no longer afraid.

“Whatever is your command, I will tell it.” The large Pokemon swallowed and shuddered. “My name is Maske. I was bred and born in the laboratory in this Missionaarrryy,” it hissed. “I was not born of womb nor egg, but was created. I have always been this way. Darrknnesss is my friend. It calls to me to attack, to do his bidding. I have never defied him because I do not wish to die.”

“Who the hell is he?” Tali cried from her corner of the room, finding her footing. “You have some nerve to attack us like that, brute!”

“He…” Maske turned to the Buizel and watched as she froze. “He is like none other. He is everywhere and he is nowhere. He is darkness and he is sin, for he is my makkkeerrr. I know not his name, but he is darkness incarnated itself and he bids me to attack.” The Feraligatr broke off and cringed again.

Slowly, yet cautiously, I removed the orb from his presence. The glowing dimmed and the Dark Pokemon let loose a heavy gasp of air, crumpling on the floor. Unconscious.
“Darkrai,” I said at once. As soon as the name left my lips, I knew it was true. “Darkrai is his maker.”

“What?! But he’s dead! He’s in the Underworld! He very well can’t escape and create a dark army from in there,” Tali scoffed.

“No,” I said hesitantly, glancing sadly at the unconscious Feraligatr. Yes, sadness had crept over me. These beings were not so different from the rest of us. Most had no choice when it came to being tainted, as it was with Rye. I sorely hoped he would never become like this, as bad as Maske was. Maske.

If Darkrai was now sending Pokemon to target me – and they could get through Missionary defences – nowhere was safe. I would never be safe until this was over. I had to confer with the Commander at once. Whether he was involved with making Dark Pokemon or not, he needed to know that Darkrai was following me. The whole city could be lost.

“Tali,” I turned to the Buizel. “I need you to take care of Lani. I know it’s late and you want to sleep, but there is something I have to do that can’t wait until morning. If Jarre or any of the others arrive, tell them I won’t be far off. And for the love of Arceus,” I added, “please don’t argue with me.”

Tali peered at me intently before slightly inclining her head. “I’ll take Lani to the med unit. They should be able to heal her.”

“Good.” Perhaps that Buizel wasn’t always a nuisance. “And do something about him,” I jerked a paw towards Maske. “We can’t leave him here. When he wakes up he might decide to attack us again.” I bent briefly to retrieve the Orb of Sorrow, hiding it deep within my fur.

“You’re not going to kill him?”

“I…I can’t. He’s not that different from me, Tali. He’s just been tainted differently. There will be a time when I have to kill, but that’s not now. Cage him up, or something, but I won’t kill him.”

I shook my head and exited the room, unable to glance any longer at the tears that leaked from Maske’s eyes.

----------
As a little note, I've also updated the second post in regards to the Orbs of Altair. Definitely worth a look.
As of this chapter, it also marks the halfway point in my story! *yays*

Links

Last edited by Gem N Ems; 02-01-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:54 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Default Re: Pokemon: Team StormRiders [PG-13] [Gold; Best Pokemon Author; MotY'10]

Wooooow. Ok, so much happening.
First off, Virok. *razzberries* Don't like him. Haven't probably from his very first mention. >.> And lemme get this right, Rakai is working for him? Greaaat.
That was an interesting conversation too. Zanna was able to avoid the really deep questions pretty well. I would've been totally unnerved by him. Oh, and I caught that comment at her name. What did he mean by that? Hmm?
Of course, trouble follows her wherever she goes. Or...did she walk into it this time? *thinks* ... I dunno, whichever it is. She got into another fight, but at least she was able to use the Orb of Sorrow to get out of that one before it got too bad. (hehe, bet Virok won't be happy bout that) I felt bad for Maske though. That can't exactly be a great existence. One thing though, would a Feraligatr really have thousands of teeth? ^^' Oh, and Tali was definately left at a loss there, wasn't she? Might see Zanna differently too.
I can't imagine that Zanna's next encounter with Virok will be all that fun... >.>

Anyway, another excellent chapter. Nice job, sis. ^^
I did catch a couple typos that need wiped out.

Quote:
She told us that once we had properly rested from out long trip she would give us a grand tour and then we might grant an audience with the Commander – Virok himself!
our

Quote:
It was hard to do so without wondering if I was about to be squished, but an inner calm ad begun to spread through me, telling me that everything would be alright.
had

Quote:
The power of if now seemed reigned in – more in control.
it
Old 02-01-2011, 03:22 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron
Default Re: Pokemon: Team StormRiders [PG-13] [Gold; Best Pokemon Author; MotY'10]

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_pop View Post
I felt bad for Maske though. That can't exactly be a great existence. One thing though, would a Feraligatr really have thousands of teeth? ^^'
Well, Dark Pokemon are supposed to look more vicious, so having a few thousand more teeth would really help in that department ^^' And I have to agree; as much as I torture my characters, they eventually get a happy ending. I hope Maske gets one too. Perhaps he'll turn into a valuable ally...?

I know what he means, how darkness is all he knows. We kinda have the same thing going. Fighting for your life...It's a tough decision.

Mystery~ I loved the chapter, Gem! <3