Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling » Rate My Team

Rate My Team Get your competitive battling team rated here and get help with movesets and battling strategies.

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Socratic Sarcasm Offline

Default OU: Stall into death

I wish to see if this idea is workable/any improvements that are suggested to be made. Black text is going to be the main part, green is going to be the reasoning.
Team
Forretress Lead: Intended to set up and Rapid Spin away traps.
Ability: Sturdy Only available Ability
Nature: Sassy (+SPD,-SPE) Most try to run a Relaxed Nature to boost Forretress' skyhigh Defense, however, this nature throws opponents curveballs galore and makes them wonder,"Why is my (insert special attack here) not working like it should?!" Wins follow.
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Def/ 252 SPD. This helps Forrestress' ability to set up, bar Fire
Held Item: Shed Shell If some smart aleck decides (s)he is going to switch to Magnezone, Forretress can still hobble/levitate away for its life, now.
Moves:
  • Stealth Rock Most Forretress don't run Rocks, so this is a nasty surprise.
  • Spikes Forretress runs his standard on every set
  • Gyro Ball Forretress' STAB, especially dangerous due to nature and base speed stat.
  • Rapid Spin Traps turn into non-issues with this being played, as long as no one spin-blocks and Forretress doesn’t get murdered.
Dusknoir Serves as a staller, cripples opponent physical sweepers, and sets up Trick Room.
Ability: Pressure Only available Ability
Nature: Sassy (+SPD,-SPE)Physical sweepers are left without as much pow with Will-O’-Wisp, so Sassy is compliments Dusknoir well.
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Def/ 252 SPD. This helps Dusknoir’s stalling capabilities, mainly, and lets it do it do what it needs to: Stall until the opponent gives up and sends in another Pokemon, who will be attacked by Rocks and maybe Spikes.
Held Item: Colbur Berry Pursuit, especially since opponent Dark Types (Tyranitar) are going to be burnt, is relegated to a useless cause.
Moves:
  • Trick Room This move is the main reason that everyone on the team is running a Sassy nature. The lowered speed from the nature is turned into an asset once Trick Room is played.
  • Gravity This is an interesting experiment (in my personal opinion), and it is requested that this especially gets commented upon. It would help deal with the numerous Pokemon that can avoid Spikes in OU.
  • Will O’ Wisp Crippling physical sweepers is a must.
  • Shadow Punch This gives Dusknoir solid stab. The problem is, with this moveset, I can’t run Pain Split, which would help Dusknoir’s stalling ability. Most would prefer to remove Gravity for Pain Split, but I want to challenge someone to find a different solution (no, I don't have a different solution, other than setting Dusknoir up to be Taunt bait
Blissey What else does Blissey do?
Ability: Natural Cure Blissey absorbs most status with this
Nature: Sassy (+SPD,-SPE) This lowers speed to the point of which Trick Room does not play to Blissey’s detriment, and assists Blissey’s SpDef
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SPD. Blissey sponges special attacks very well with this spread
Held Item: I don't know! Help!
Moves:
  • Softboiled Blissey ensures that it can take hits, and remove damage if it prefers
  • Toxic Blissey beasts everyone with Toxic and Stalls to death.
  • Protect This helps buy Blissey time, and ensures that Softboiled lasts longer
  • Focus Blast Yes, this is a surprise. But then again, I love surprises. Any Steel Type thinking that they are being smart has another thing coming. Although Toxic may not work, Focus Blast literally blasts the opponent into oblivion.

End of story. Who like, who hate, and who think of improvements?

Last edited by narphoenix; 01-03-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:53 AM
O_man0 Offline
Master Trainer

Default Re: OU: Stall into death

I assume DPPt. I like it more anyways :P

I think 3 more team members would be a huge improvement... :P

Infernape pwns your entire team

Also trick room on dusknoir isnt doing much, stall doesnt rely that much on priority. It does however like not wasting turns. Not putting wish on blissey and calling this stall is meh. Basically you're really on blissey, since anything can whittle down forretress and dusknoir.

blissey NEEDS 252 def EVs. Focus blast is silly. Softboiled + protect is silly. Wish + protect is what youre looking for.
Forretress wants 252 HP Evs then defensive ones.
Same to dusknoir.

seriously just make a full team lol.

Last edited by O_man0; 01-04-2011 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Socratic Sarcasm Offline

Sorry, forgot to mention this set was for 3-v-3. Oops.

I can't get a Blissey with Wish, I don't know how.

In case of Trick Room, good point. I'll delete it for Pain Split.

Infernape decimates me on all levels. Oops. Blissey gets Psychic now, instead.

As to EVs, I thought that Blissey's defense stat was a lost cause, which was why I didn't bother with more than 4. I'll switch them around like you said though, with the exception of Dusknoir, whose EVs are there for Stallability and (now) Pain Split assistance.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narphoenix View Post
Sorry, forgot to mention this set was for 3-v-3. Oops.

I highly doubt you'll be pull off a stall team in 3v3. There's no way of covering every offensive threat in just three pokemon, and there's no way of covering every role that's required on a stall team. As well as the Walls and spinners, you need a cleric, a PHazer, all three hazards and more. You just aren't going to fit the necessary defensive coverage and required roles into a team that's half the size of a traditional one.

I can't get a Blissey with Wish, I don't know how.

Go to the trade forum here and find one. At the moment you're trying to run a stall team where 66% of the team members can't even recover. You aren't gonna be stalling anyone if you're dying more quickly than they are.

In case of Trick Room, good point. I'll delete it for Pain Split.

Infernape decimates me on all levels. Oops. Blissey gets Psychic now, instead.

That's not going to help. Assuming the best case scenario, and you get all three layers of spikes and stealth rock down, Blissey still cannot KO an Infernape with a negative-SpDef nature. So even if it switches in as you use psychic, it's still gonna be alive to rip something to shreds. Blissey just can't beat infernape.

As to EVs, I thought that Blissey's defense stat was a lost cause, which was why I didn't bother with more than 4.

It may be a lost cause but they're still essential. Bliss needs max EVs so it's not caught unawares by surprised mixed sets (Not uncommon in smaller games, where people try to cover as much as possible with a more limited set of pokes). Without them, Blissey crumples in the face of even the weakest physical attack.

I'll switch them around like you said though, with the exception of Dusknoir, whose EVs are there for Stallability and (now) Pain Split assistance.

Max HP is by far better at making Dusknoir more survivable. Given his low base stat, it provides a far larger boost to overall survivability than maxing out each individual defence. Pain Split's all well and good but if you come across a sweeper their HP will be too low to live off of, and if you come across a wall they'll most likely have instant recovery to stall you out with. 252HP/76Def/180SpDef@Impish is the way to go for best overall defences.
If you really wanna try 3v3 stall, then I'd recommend going with the old classic core of any stall team, SkarmBliss with Tentacruel support:

Skarmory@Leftovers
Impish
252HP/240SpDef/16Spd
Spikes
Whirlwind
Brave Bird
Roost

Blissey@Leftovers
Calm
252Def/252SpDef/6HP
Wish
Stealth Rock
Seismic Toss
Soft-boiled/Protect

Tentacruel@Leftovers
Calm
252HP/120Def/136SpDef
Toxic Spikes
Surf
Rapid Spin
Ice Beam

SkarmBliss are a classic walling combination, with Tentacruel covering Fire and Fighting which neither of the first two resist. Specially Defensive Skarm can take hits pretty damn well on both sides of the spectrum, even being able to survive a Life Orb Starmie's Thunderbolt. I'd recommend using this over Forretress for it's access to instant recovery, reducing your reliance on Blissey's wishes to keep the team going. The ability to PHaze with whirlwind is also a great boon. Bliss gets both defenses maxed, max HP investment only raises the stat by about 10% while it literally double the defence stat and provides a more significant boost to SpDef too. Finally Tentacruel rounds the team off with the afformentioned resistances, the ability to clear entry hazards (It removes Toxic Spikes just by switching in), and general superiority over Dusknoir who isn't really aiding this stall team in any meaningful way. If you want to try 3v3 stall, a line-up like that's gonna be your best bet.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:15 PM
BulletPuncher Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post
If you really wanna try 3v3 stall, then I'd recommend going with the old classic core of any stall team, SkarmBliss with Tentacruel support:

Skarmory@Leftovers
Impish
252HP/240SpDef/16Spd
Spikes
Whirlwind
Brave Bird
Roost

Blissey@Leftovers
Calm
252Def/252SpDef/6HP
Wish
Stealth Rock
Seismic Toss
Soft-boiled/Protect

Tentacruel@Leftovers
Calm
252HP/120Def/136SpDef
Toxic Spikes
Surf
Rapid Spin
Ice Beam

SkarmBliss are a classic walling combination, with Tentacruel covering Fire and Fighting which neither of the first two resist. Specially Defensive Skarm can take hits pretty damn well on both sides of the spectrum, even being able to survive a Life Orb Starmie's Thunderbolt. I'd recommend using this over Forretress for it's access to instant recovery, reducing your reliance on Blissey's wishes to keep the team going. The ability to PHaze with whirlwind is also a great boon. Bliss gets both defenses maxed, max HP investment only raises the stat by about 10% while it literally double the defence stat and provides a more significant boost to SpDef too. Finally Tentacruel rounds the team off with the afformentioned resistances, the ability to clear entry hazards (It removes Toxic Spikes just by switching in), and general superiority over Dusknoir who isn't really aiding this stall team in any meaningful way. If you want to try 3v3 stall, a line-up like that's gonna be your best bet.
Here is a better 3v3 core:

Hippowdon @ leftovers

Sand Stream
Careful
252 hp / 4 def / 252 sp def

Earthquake
Slack Off
Stealth Rock
Roar

Gyarados @ leftovers

Intimidate
Impish
248 hp / 252 def / 8 speed

Waterfall
Roar
Rest
Sleep Talk

Rotom-H @ leftovers

Levitate
Bold
248 hp / 252 def / 8 speed

Will O Wisp
Thunderbolt
Rest
Sleep Talk

I don't know why you do 3v3 stall, (PBR in my case) but these 3 are better imo because they can stop 95% of OU.