Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » Pokemon News

Pokemon News Here you will find the Pokemon news that is on the website, posted here also so you can reply with any comments/questions.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:35 AM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000
Post Cheating Can’t Catch ‘em All

John Funk of The Escapist wrote an interesting article regarding his own Pokemon experiences including the difficulty of catching every single Pokemon and the problem of cheating to accomplish this feat.

Once upon a time, I caught ‘em all. I had every single Pokémon – every starter, every evolution, every legendary – from every generation of the series. My collection was complete; I was a true Pokémon master.

Once upon a time, I was a cheater.

At their core, the Pokémon games are all about capturing wild monsters, training them and battling with them. Though the series initially sported the tagline “Gotta Catch ‘Em All,” Nintendo never seemed inclined to let players do just that. With every successive “generation” of Pokémon games, the roster swelled with the addition of new characters: Gold and Silver versions (Generation II) added a hundred more to bring the total number of monsters to 251, and Ruby and Sapphire versions (Generation III) took it even higher, to 386 potential characters to catch.

By the time I cheated my way through Pokémon Pearl, the series was on its fourth generation, with a staggering 493 monsters in total to catch. If that were the only barrier, it would be a problem that could simply be solved with enough time and effort. Unfortunately, it was – and still is – quite literally impossible to catch every single one if a player is just playing through the game normally.

Mew, the secret 151st pocket monster – barely mentioned in the game – was the Pokémon series’ first impossible hurdle. Every other challenge was surmountable if you put in enough time and knew the right people to trade with, but Mew, the tiny pink psychic cat-thing, was only given out to people who attended rare official Nintendo events and could not actually be caught in the game.

For a series that started its life under the catchphrase “Gotta catch ‘em all,” the Pokémon franchise goes out of it way to make doing just that as complicated as possible.

Having these all-but-unobtainable Pokémon makes it all the more rewarding when you finally catch one against all odds. I think back to the summer I worked at the Pokémon Center store in New York City (now Nintendo World), where we had a special machine that would give out one of the rare legendaries – at the time, Jirachi or Deoxys. I remember watching kids from all over the country who rushed up to the machine with their parents in tow and hooked up their GBA, and I remember how overjoyed they looked to get their hands on this digital treat that they’d maybe heard about in school or online.

I cheated to get my Jirachi. I cheated to get my Deoxys. My friend let me borrow a hackable GBA cartridge that I used to whip up Pokémon from the aether and transfer them into my DS game, tricking it into thinking they were real. When all was said and done, I wore no such overjoyed expression. I’d manipulated numbers, that was all – and numbers were all I had to show for it.

There was no effort in what I’d done, only time spent. A machine or a clever computer program could have done the same thing. There was none of the thrill of a desperate battle as the legendary Pokémon resisted all of your attempts to capture it – and none of the elation when that Pokéball finally clicked shut. With no challenge in the catching, there was no reward. In my quest to be a Pokémon master, I’d ended up missing the point entirely, and done something I would have never considered doing in Super Mario or Banjo-Kazooie. I wanted to collect things – now, I merely had them.

Once upon a time, I caught ‘em all.

I really wish I hadn’t.

Source: The Escapist

More...
Old 01-05-2011, 02:45 AM
Masami Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Masami Send a message via MSN to Masami
Default Re: Cheating Can’t Catch ‘em All

Nice to see you remembered the URL of this place.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masami View Post
Nice to see you remembered the URL of this place.
You realise that ain't Ryan, right? I think it's automated from site updates.

I think.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Send a message via AIM to Etymology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombi View Post

You realise that ain't Ryan, right? I think it's automated from site updates.

I think.
Yeah, anything posted on the main site gets relayed here under Ryan's account. xD
Old 01-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJello View Post
Yeah, anything posted on the main site gets relayed here under Ryan's account. xD
Yeah, I guessed as much. xDD

Old 01-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Masami Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Masami Send a message via MSN to Masami

Then my point is reversed.
Nice to know you don't give a ****, Ryan. <3
Old 01-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Tombi Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masami View Post
Then my point is reversed.
Nice to know you don't give a ****, Ryan. <3
Only babies give a **** about Ryan having a life. *haughty sniff*

Old 01-06-2011, 12:04 AM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

I felt a little smug reading this article since I've never cheated at any game (unless you count getting one of my family members who didn't inherit my insanely fast twitch to get me through places where I needed control rather than reaction speed).

I'm lucky enough to have begun playing pokemon as an adult, and with the first series, too, so I never had to wheedle to go to an event, just schedule the time to get there, take off work or whatever. And due to that, I've always had as near a complete 'dex in every version as is possible in the USA. Not only that, I've had the loose cash to pick up extra copies of the game and mail them outside the country to trade for event pokemon with people in Japan since G/S/C. I used to trade carts with several people on this site, before you could trade online.

So yeah, I was PO'd that I couldn't get Mew, which was all I lacked in R/B/G/Y/G/S/C. But I had event pokes to spare (like 10 celebi from the St Louis summer event).

But here comes what I saw as the down side of "catch 'em all" and trading -- Nintendo gave us the facility to trade -- and encouraged us -- no MADE US HAVE TO TRADE if, unlike me, you didn't have the cash to buy more than one copy of each version so you couldn't start with each starter and play far enough to trade it to yourself -- and get all the version exclusives.

I have been lucky to have enough money and way too much time on my hands....

But along about FR/LG events, Nintendo mugs started "checking" my cart to see if it was "hacked" before I could compete with my pokemon. And I can tell you in no uncertain terms that I NEVER hacked a cart. But I could never tell, by any means Nintendo gave ME if pokes I traded for were hacked.

How could you do that? I doubt if you can. The best you can do, you build a group of friends, and they have the same interest, but you never know if they succumbed to temptation, or if they traded for a poke that was dirty -- there was no way for *US PLAYERS* to really tell.

Then add in refusing to let me compete in tournaments if my cart was "hacked".

And once it was rejected. Why? Six master balls. Duh. I didn't use them in all my games, so I traded them up to the current game I was playing in the hot little paws of pokemon as held items. Perfectly legit. Except to Nintendo, who couldn't conceive that I'd have SIX master balls in any legit way (I save em for shinies).

So ever after, I kept a "competition" cart that only had ONE of each held item. I never was rejected for a dirty pokemon, though.

The problem gets worse with the GTS. How many times have you seen people asking for stuff that can ONLY BE hacked? Me, I've seen it a LOT. If I was still serious about battling, I'd never go near the GTS.

Starting with FR/LG, there have always been ways to finish your 'dex. Completely. And mine has been, but sometimes I was still sending carts to the UK and Japan to trade, and going to events, buying GCube games... and now, if you know people, you can arrange trades so friggin' easy.

But can you ever be sure they're "clean". Nope.

Last edited by ashkelon; 01-06-2011 at 12:08 AM.