Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » First & Second Generations

First & Second Generations Discuss the first and second generation games: Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal.

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 01:48 AM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

Default Gold and Silver saves GONE on 1/1/11?

Silly, maybe, but on midnight every year some buddies and I've always broken out stadium II and the original R/B/Y G/S/C games and several of us play and beam mystery gifts, trade on stadium and just be silly and reminisce.

Last night after midnight, nobody's Gold or Silver save files were there -- crystal seems OK, as were R/B/G/Y.

Today, ever time I've restarted a game on the silver cart I'm messing with, I get told the save file is corrupt, and forced to restart.

Wouldn't you know it's the only time I've gotten a shiny starter, too!

Anybody else running into this?

I know the batteries in the cart are good, they've been used frequently and were fine until the date changed.

I'm hoping that saving may be allowed on 1/2/11 (hoping 1/1/11 is a "magic" date for resets of some kind).

Anyone else experience this?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:06 AM
Josh Offline

Send a message via MSN to Josh
Default Re: Gold and Silver saves GONE on 1/1/11?

None of the games actually store a physical date. I have had an issue before where I have accidentally stuffed my game by messing with time, far too much.

You may be able to try again and it might work, but it has nothing to do with the date.

Intolerance
Current Chapter: Eighteen

URPG
Old 01-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Cream Puffs Offline

I've had problems similiar to that before but now mine only saves every once in a while but by the next day they reset which sucks. I hope yous will save again because this problem tends to be annoying if you really like the game.

|GREEN|
Old 01-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

It is not possible as the original Gameboy Color (And Advance games) games cannot connect to the outside world, meaning that nothing could possibly influence a mass shutdown. Mine is fine, and I played it just this morning and I experienced 1/1/11 sooner than you Americans.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 01-02-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Jedi Knight Goen-Tog Etya Offline

My original Gold & Silver stopped saving altogether several months before HeartGold and SoulSilver came out. I tried to play the games because I couldn't wait until HG/SS came out. I had the originals since they came out, were played on heavily, and so I can only assume the batteries are dead.

I don't think it was the date that killed your save file(s). The games and the batteries are just old?
Formerly Sith_Lord_Darth_Krushya. I turned to the light side so I could be of better use to the community. I'm a Jedi Knight. My character's name is Goen-Tog Etya. First name, Goen-Tog (pronounced: Go-in, Tahg.) Last name Etya, (pronounced, et-yah). Play on words for "goin' ta get ya." You can either call me "Goen-Tog" or "Master Etya." LOL. Have a nice day.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:17 PM

It most likely has something to do with the small little memory chip residing in the cartridge. I have had several experiences of the same sort with Gameboy Advance games. I don't think it has to do with the said Pokemon Color games exclusively.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:26 PM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

Yeah, I know you don't set the date in the game, but that doesn't mean the internal clock in the cart doesn't know what time/date it is.

We had all just played with them within a few days before, and so to fire 5 different games and have the save file gone on all of the is pretty strange. Which was the reason I'd wondered about anyone else.

I can't speak for the other guys, but I've never sharked my carts, never messed with the time or anything, they were just played with normally, but a lot.

I guess the part that bums me is that especially the silver cart, had literally been all over the world with me and I had pokes from tournaments and events over 10 year and more.

I had every pokemon on there except Mew, which at the time was only available in Japan, and I had several Celebi, all of my shinies and my old tournament teams -- think about the kind of pokes you can breed in chains that extend back over 10 years time -- including event pokes and transfers from R/B/G/Y.

Bummed.

In the case of mine, I'm thinking it's the battery finally failing, although all of my R/B/G/Y and Crystal carts are fine, none of my G/S carts work as of 1/1/11.

Talking to my friends, all of us with G/S bought them at the same store the day they came out (3 of us met while waiting for them to open), so it's pretty possible we all have the same age if not batch of batteries.

So sad. If I'd left the pokes on my stadium II cart, they would all be fine :( But I pulled them off for battling and to show them off during Yule week.

Last edited by ashkelon; 01-02-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:29 AM
paperfairy Offline

Send a message via AIM to paperfairy Send a message via Skype™ to paperfairy

your internal batteries finally died. you were incredibly lucky for having them last as long as they did, really. if you all bought them at the same time, then they'd all die at the same time.

sorry for your loss. =[

edit: your cart doesn't know the date.

Will always find their kind.
ASBL | twins with Jenn <3

Last edited by paperfairy; 01-03-2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:42 AM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

Thanks.

Yeah, Dead Batteries. That's the conclusion we all came to today.

I don't know if they lasted so long because they got used often or what, but it was still a weird thing to have them all fail on New Year's Eve like that.

The drag is all those pokemon from tournament play and trades.

I'll keep a closer eye on my crystal carts.

It's a good thing that they now keep the time on the console, and they don't need the on-board batteries.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:58 AM
RocketMeowth Offline
Spazztacular

Send a message via AIM to RocketMeowth Send a message via MSN to RocketMeowth

My two blue, my yellow, my silver, and my crystal all work. However my red, other silver, other crystal, and gold... they do not. I was so sad when my one Crystal went. It was the one with all my greatest Pokemon on it.

Bye bye Umbreon and Espeon I worked so very hard to get! By Tyranitar I never though I'd acquire since RAISING YOU WAS SUCH A CHORE! By my level 89 Quilava. *waves as a single tear drop slides down my cheek*

=P Haha, dramatic much?

=^^= Nya
Old 01-03-2011, 03:05 AM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

Oh, I actually had most of mine logged in a book I kept for the ones that were special, shinies, ones I bred with special move chains and how I got there (for the people who wouldn't believe it) LOL!

I will never forget evolving my espeon on a cross-country flight. I was cramming him with goodies and stuff, trying to get his happiness level up and suddenly noticed the time... Completely frantic!

And he evolved with less than 2 min's to spare. And everybody in first class on that flight wanted to know why I yelled! I was on my way to give a presentation in Dallas on the Java programming language, and later some of the people I presented to talked about the person on the flight yelling about pokemon...

Yeah, like that'd be ME. :D
Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
Oh, I actually had most of mine logged in a book I kept for the ones that were special, shinies, ones I bred with special move chains and how I got there (for the people who wouldn't believe it) LOL!

I will never forget evolving my espeon on a cross-country flight. I was cramming him with goodies and stuff, trying to get his happiness level up and suddenly noticed the time... Completely frantic!

And he evolved with less than 2 min's to spare. And everybody in first class on that flight wanted to know why I yelled! I was on my way to give a presentation in Dallas on the Java programming language, and later some of the people I presented to talked about the person on the flight yelling about pokemon...

Yeah, like that'd be ME. :D
I am glad you finally came to a conclusion concerning the untimely death of your Pokemon game. It would have been proud to know that you worked so tediously here on the forums to dig up an answer, and who knows? Somewhere up in the Pokemon Heaven, it can finally rest at peace knowing the cause of its expiration.

And you don't have to mistreat your game cartridge for the microchip inside to be damaged. Seriously, a small spec of dust could get wedged up in there and something could go wrong. That is how my Dragon Ball Z game died on me.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:24 PM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

I'm a programmer and I also build and rebuild pc's, boards and other electronics, so I'm pretty much aware of that stuff.

The battery was the most likely culprit, but any board that's accompanied by a battery is able to ascertain more things than most people think.

While no game cartridge is used in a "clean room" environment, or darn few, I'd venture that mine are treated better than most, since I'm past the age of sticky fingers and throwing things at my brother. LOL

As far as functionality, the Nintendo carts and consoles are astonishingly sturdy. For years I was part of a project where we burnt ebooks into rom on carts and then sent a collection of carts and a couple origninal GBs or GBCs to remote parts of the world. Since they run on simple batteries, and you can pack a lot of ebook data (and the reader) on each cart -- combined with the high tolerance for environment they provided great "recycled" service in both desert and jungle environments.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:45 PM

I cannot agree with you on the sturdiness. A lot of my old GBA game cartridges simply snapped in two. And believe me, my game cartridges are as "unabused" as a virgin.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 PM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
I cannot agree with you on the sturdiness. A lot of my old GBA game cartridges simply snapped in two. And believe me, my game cartridges are as "unabused" as a virgin.
That is strange. I've had just the opposite experience, and still had 40 or 50 original GB games and they still were pretty much pristine -- other than wear to the labels. I gave them and a "brand new" original "white" GB to my brother for Holiday this year.

I've got a clear-case (transparent) GB that I still use. I like to play the games on the consoles they were built for.

These have been the only ones I've had fail, and I know that they had for others because of the batteries even back like 2006 when I was around here more. I had just pretty much spaced it after they'd lasted so long.

One of my buddies came over and we replaced one battery, and it seems to be doing fine.

Don't think I'll do the others, just save off what's left on Stadium.
Closed Thread