Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 12-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Cobalt Shadow Offline

Send a message via MSN to Cobalt Shadow Send a message via Skype™ to Cobalt Shadow
Default Black Ops Woes

I bought Black Ops for my PC today From JB Hifi for $90, and went home to install it. I installed it and downloaded an update from Steam then started trying to play it. it plays about 3 seconds of the video when I run the game, but doesn't even make it to the menu, the screen goes black and I have to use CTRL+ALT+DEL to open Task Manager. When I do there is a console thing open I have to close both the game and the console. The Console is running but the game is not responding.
My PC is a Toshiba L500D (I think)
286GB harddrive (30.6GB free)
2GB of RAM (1.75GB Usable)
AMD Sempron SA-42 2.1GHz
Windows 7 32bit

I have read lots of websites and tried:
  • Reinstalling Black Ops
  • Updating Windows
  • Downloaded a Registry Mechanic but after it scanned it told me I had to buy the full version

If there is anyway to fix this I would be willing to do it (Nothing extreme) but one thing I want to know is whether it is my PC or the game, if it is my PC I will return it and buy Modern Warfare 2 but if it is a faulty disk i am gonna get a new copy of Black Ops.

Also can I return Black ops, If I have already Registered it with steam even if I have my receipt from when I bought Black Ops. Is there any way to unregister it from my steam account?

Thanks

Dragotech, Eternal Moonlight and I are the PE2k Wolf Pack! Fear Fredward the Sparklepire, Bidoof the Soulless and Slenderfairy!
Banner Made by Me
Old 12-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Black Ops Woes

What MB is your graphics or audio card? I had a similar problem with WaW.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Lan.exe Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lan.exe

Try updating your video drivers.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Cobalt Shadow Offline

Send a message via MSN to Cobalt Shadow Send a message via Skype™ to Cobalt Shadow

Thanks but how do ai do that? My graphics card is an ati radeon 3100. But I am beginning to thing that maybe my issue is Ram. The box says 2gb of ram but I think it mean 2gb of usable ram because my mums bf took a look at my computer and freed up some ram and the vid went for longer b4 crashing. I got a pocket hard drive for chirstmas so I don't need my 4th USB anymore. I will use readyboost on that and see if it works.
Thanks I will update when I test readyboost

Dragotech, Eternal Moonlight and I are the PE2k Wolf Pack! Fear Fredward the Sparklepire, Bidoof the Soulless and Slenderfairy!
Banner Made by Me
Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Lan.exe Offline

RAM is never the problem.

Go to ATI's website and search for your card and download the latest drivers. Also download Game Booster.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Master Groudon Offline

Send a message via AIM to Master Groudon Send a message via Yahoo to Master Groudon

Oh this is too easy, its most likely your RAM. I tried to play resident evil 3 on my school laptop and it did the same thing. This is caused either the computers RAM or your computer cant process the awesome effects of Black Ops.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Cobalt Shadow Offline

I will do what temporal snake said, then use readyboost if it is too slow or laggy to boost the RAM.

Edit: I used game booster but I can't find driver updates for my graphics card anywhere, a link would be helpful, its an ATI Radeon 3100 graphics. when I get home I will use readyboost

Banner Made by Me

Last edited by Cobalt Shadow; 12-27-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:45 AM
xXrealgoon420xX Offline

you should never buy a port of a console game on the PC, especially a top seller like mall of duty
i'd reconsider playing it on PC considering you have an integrated GPU and you'll be playing on low quality graphics anyway
Old 12-28-2010, 12:47 AM
Masami Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Masami Send a message via MSN to Masami

PC Gaming > Console Gaming.
Don't even try and call Cod a console game since Cod4 is the second most popular PC game, according to xfire. Following only WoW.

EDIT: With all due respect however, you have quite a low grade PC for games like COD, although I'm sure COD is designed for low spec PCs mainly.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masami View Post
Don't even try and call Cod a console game since Cod4 is the second most popular PC game, according to xfire. Following only WoW.

EDIT: With all due respect however, you have quite a low grade PC for games like COD, although I'm sure COD is designed for low spec PCs mainly.
You'd be surprised how difficult it is to run CoD on the PC. It is not a good game for the PC because they overdo it with the graphics, and they aren't as impressive as Reach in my opinion.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:30 AM
Lan.exe Offline

No matter how popular CoD is on the PC, it's still a port of a console game. CoD is and always will be a console game first.

Anyways... http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

AMD and ATI sites are merged.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:53 AM
Stardy Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Stardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masami View Post
Doesn't make it the most sold though. That would be The Sims. Followed by The Sims 2. And then World of Warcraft. Meanwhile, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is the second most sold game on Xbox 360, and the third on the Playstation 3, with Call of Duty 4 also making the top twenty for PS3, and sixth for 360. Even World at War is in the Xbox 360's top ten best selling. Meanwhile, none of them have broke 1,000,000 sales for the PC yet.

Source is Wikipedia. Here's the PC list, Xbox 360 list and Playstation 3 list. They need updating, but you get the picture.

No matter if it plays better on the PC or not (depending on who you ask and their opinion on it, I personally do find the PC version more playable.), more people choose to buy it for a console, and therefore, its generally considered a console game. I'd say that's perfectly fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporal Snake View Post
No matter how popular CoD is on the PC, it's still a port of a console game. CoD is and always will be a console game first.
Except it wasn't and the first game was only released for PC and Mac (And N-Gage apparently), before being updated for HD release over the Arcade and PSN Store. Either way, it started off a PC Game. It eventually turned into a console game, but it was, at first, PC.

Stardy = awesome

Last edited by Stardy; 12-28-2010 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:15 AM
xXrealgoon420xX Offline

also, having an ATI card certainly does nothing for you
some people think that ATI's drivers work - i don't
Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 AM

Look at the system requirements on the back of you purchase, and then compare them online with your system specs.