Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 11-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Cobalt Shadow Offline

Send a message via MSN to Cobalt Shadow Send a message via Skype™ to Cobalt Shadow
Default How to Convince Dad?

In my house I am the only one who knows something about computers. I live with my technologically impaired 43 year old dad, my 71 year old nanna who has a hard time reading her Emails and my 11 year old brother who got my grandad convinced he had a virus after heavily guessed diagnosis on his computer. when he started saying that I told him to shut up because he was going to cause my grandad to panic and thats the last thing I needed. anyway I was the one who sets and controls our wireless internet. what I want to do is use our other wireless modem instead of the one that our ISP mailed us for a couple of reasons:
  1. It would be more secure
  2. I could change it to a password that we can remember
  3. there is bandwith allocation so I can speed up watching videos online, gaming or web browsing with 1 click
  4. I could monitor our network and if any of the people on our street have hacked it I could kick them off with the click of a button
  5. I hate my dads gfs son so when he comes over I could set the priority level on his laptop as low
  6. and the big reason. me and my bro both have iPod touches and my dad has an iPhone. Me and my bro are constantly losing our iPods and we could trace them on our network with this modem.

I have told dad all these reasons other than the one about his gfs son (he cracked it when I reffered to him as Satan) and he is saying "we have had n o issues with the modem we have now (even though in the first few weeks we had it our ISP crashed and we had no internet for a few weeks and then a few weeks later when we set a PPP password there was a typo and we couldnt connect (we thought our ISP had still crashed) for a few weeks until we realised it was a typo)

Anywho how do I convince dad to let me use this modem, I can't do it behind his back because the modem sits in the middle of the house and he would see (He is not that stupid with internet. he will know a different modem when he see's one), plus I would have to configure all of the laptops, printer and iPod touches/iPhones to it. I don't think i could do all that unnoticably.

So yeah, what do you think I should do to convince him to let me change the modem because at the moment I hate the one we are using. nanna can tell when I am downloading something when the internet light flashes like hell and I always get caught lol

Dragotech, Eternal Moonlight and I are the PE2k Wolf Pack! Fear Fredward the Sparklepire, Bidoof the Soulless and Slenderfairy!
Banner Made by Me
Old 11-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Dark Moonlight Offline

Default Re: How to Convince Dad?

Tell your dad the modem has some internal, irreversible damage..

Spoiler:
Old 11-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Assaundrell Yumerai Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Assaundrell Yumerai

I think before talking to your dad about this, relax, take a deep breath, and talk to him in a nice manner and tell the benefits you will get. And of course, the main reason why you should get a new modem.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Cobalt Shadow Offline

Send a message via MSN to Cobalt Shadow Send a message via Skype™ to Cobalt Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assaundrell Yumerai View Post
I think before talking to your dad about this, relax, take a deep breath, and talk to him in a nice manner and tell the benefits you will get. And of course, the main reason why you should get a new modem.
lol we already have the modem. I tried talking to him today but he is very stubborn. that is [probs where my bro gets it. anyway as for the damage he would either not beleive me or think I did the damage purposefully lol. hmm I need to pull out the big guns. but first things first what are the big guns?

Dragotech, Eternal Moonlight and I are the PE2k Wolf Pack! Fear Fredward the Sparklepire, Bidoof the Soulless and Slenderfairy!
Banner Made by Me
Old 11-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Doodlebop Offline

I would leave out the fifth reason. It's not very polite, and he might get offended by it.

Be very polite.*Very, very polite. I wouldn't whine or complain. Since he already said no, wait a while before trying again. Good luck!

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links
Old 11-27-2010, 04:26 AM
Cobalt Shadow Offline

I asked him about it, and he was stubborn as per usual. he still said that we have had no issues with our current router even though it is always kicking me off the network when I log on to my PC and it won't let me back on for another 10-20 minutes. it even happened to his today and he still won't listen

Banner Made by Me
Old 12-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Ender the Xenocide Offline
Amateur Trainer

Tell him the computers will explode if it doesn't happen.

Tell him he will explode if it doesn't happen.

Tell him 2012 will happen now if it doesn't happen.

Save up your cash and by it yourself.

It is your decision out of my ever so logical and narrowed-down suggestions.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:29 AM
Traxx Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender the Xenocide View Post
Tell him the computers will explode if it doesn't happen.

Tell him he will explode if it doesn't happen.

Tell him 2012 will happen now if it doesn't happen.

Save up your cash and by it yourself.

It is your decision out of my ever so logical and narrowed-down suggestions.
Lol...XD ▲

Just be nice to him...The number one thing is to be calm, and explain the situation to him. Maybe you could say something like, "See dad, it's happening to both of us..." Then give him all the reasons. Maybe if you slowly and sincerely give your statement of why you should get it, and explain to him all the things he doesn't understand about it, he might let you change it.

You could also maybe ask him to let you change it for a Christmas present or something....It is the giving season anyways.

Last edited by Traxx; 12-21-2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:04 AM
Cobalt Shadow Offline

lol I asked him and he said yes weeks ago, but our ***** of an isp made it that we have to use their modem. bloody bigpond

Banner Made by Me
Old 12-21-2010, 05:30 AM
Josh Offline

Send a message via MSN to Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend collector View Post
lol I asked him and he said yes weeks ago, but our ***** of an isp made it that we have to use their modem. bloody bigpond
Chances are you won't get out of that contract any time soon.

Did he say why he doesn't want to do it?

Intolerance
Current Chapter: Eighteen

URPG