Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Interactive Boards Art Boards

Art Boards Art boards for both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related art.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:40 PM
XaiakuX Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to XaiakuX Send a message via MSN to XaiakuX Send a message via Yahoo to XaiakuX Send a message via Skype™ to XaiakuX
Default Re: Signature & Avatar Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Moonlight View Post
And also, for Photoshop users, it's Edit - Stroke.
I'm pretty sure I said that. xD

I was just stating that for Gimp users you have to go and pick the color you want first, before doing the stroke. While on Photoshop you can do it from the window before you hit OK.

.|.[Linkage].|.[-.Norse God of Chaos.-].|.Best in the World.|.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Dark Moonlight Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by XaiakuX View Post
I'm pretty sure I said that. xD

I was just stating that for Gimp users you have to go and pick the color you want first, before doing the stroke. While on Photoshop you can do it from the window before you hit OK.
YOU MISSED IT! Of course you missed it. My eyes see everything...

Hopefully ^_^...

Spoiler:
Old 12-16-2010, 06:56 PM
XaiakuX Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to XaiakuX Send a message via MSN to XaiakuX Send a message via Yahoo to XaiakuX Send a message via Skype™ to XaiakuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Moonlight View Post
YOU MISSED IT! Of course you missed it. My eyes see everything...

Hopefully ^_^...
Now I'm drawing a blank, you've confused me. Here, criticize this, or something, I'm allowed to post this since I commented on several tags beforehand.. =]:

Without Text/Border:

Old 12-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Linchy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Linchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Bit View Post
First off, why "Escaping to the Stars?"

Secondly, I don't particularly like the reddish area to the left of the Aron, It forces me to look to that instead of Aron. And as the tag progressed, it just kind of came to me that it wanted to 'escape' or something. To add more effect I used the pen tool, to look like it was going 'up', or, 'to the stars'. :) Hope that helped.

In answer to your question;

In the original picture, the Aron was just looking up. As I added the light source it looked like there was some hole in the top of the cave/thingo it was in, so 'looking to the sky'.

Thanks for the feedback; I'll change it.

Quote:
You're my hero! You're doing it right. Who cares if the "escape the stars" bit makes no sense. It looks cool, it works. Oh, LOOK! It has a border! Love the pen tool, love the use of the c4d, love the Pokemon card cut out. It's a little bright, but there's not much you can to about that. Good job, Linchy.

I notice people trying to revive graphics, and I don't discourage this at all, in fact I implore it, greatly. But people, come on, get the basics down. Flow, Lightsource, Border, Color Balance, Size or the tag, Size of the render in the tag, all of this is very easy to do, and simple work with. There are thousands of banner tutorials spread across the internet. find them, use them, get better. There's no easier way of putting it. I see vast potential in all of you, USE IT!

Hehe, you knew it was a pokemon card? :P Well, not surprising. Thanks for the praise. ^^

For your piece, XaiakuX (which I forgot to quote, oh well) What I don't partially like about it is that the doesn't seem to blend in with the rest of the tag/photomanip. While facial features surrounding the eye have a 'dark' sort of sense the eye itself seems...bland? How do I put it? Anyway, I really like how you accomplished the dark effect. Only other thing bothering me is the text. Where'd that reddish bit come from?

:D

Last edited by Linchy; 12-17-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:57 AM
Anastasia-R Offline
Time Gear Thief

Send a message via MSN to Anastasia-R Send a message via Skype™ to Anastasia-R

Quote:
Now I'm drawing a blank, you've confused me. Here, criticize this, or something, I'm allowed to post this since I commented on several tags beforehand.. =]:

Without Text/Border:

Ohai, I wanted to comment. =]

Hmm, well, lets check these banners out.

I say, your stock images was a really low quality. Well, it looks like it to me. The eye would be clearer, and not so pixely. It if was a higher quality of a stock, I think you'd get much more better results. It'd have a smoother, clearer look to the eye, and it could possibly show more details of the cornea. I think that's part of the eye that shows the color of the eye. I'm sure it's not pupil.

There's not much depth to it. Everywhere on the stock seems to be sharpened. Way too sharpened. Try to maybe blur parts of the stock to give it some depth.

The text on the first banner is good. It's a easy-to-read text. It has a good outline, but the colors of the text are random. I agree with Linchy's concern of the text. The red just popped out of nowhere. In your stock image, you have lots of cooler colors, rather than warmer colors, like red and yellow. And is half of the text transparent? Good idea, but then, it kind of confuses me more of why you used the red in the text.

As for flow, uh, well, there doesn't seem to be any. At least, I don't think there is.

Hmm, I have a suggestion for ya that might make it a bit more interesting for a light source in your banner. Towards the right side of the banner, try to make a gradient map (or whatever you call it) of a bright yellow, bright blue or green, or white. It would show a sort of "light" effect. It could add some more interest to the banner, that's all.

Your placement is pretty good, it wasn't slanted or something. In these case, I think it was good for you to have the eye in the center.

Hmm, I wish there was a bit more to the banner. I'm glad it's not clutter or filled only in effects, pen tool outlines, and c4ds, but it looks plain and boring. Adding textures isn't a bad idea. =] It might create more emphasis to your banner, or more attention to it.

Not your best banner EVER, and I'm a bit disappointed in this banner. However, there is ALWAYS room for improvement for EVERYONE. So, yeah, I know you can do MUCH better banners. =] Overall, these banners are pretty good, but I expected a lot more from ya. ;o

Old 12-17-2010, 06:51 AM
Dragoness Offline

Quote:

Without Text/Border:

Huh. Well, the blurry white areas are both startling (in a good way) but I don't like how the pupil is blurred. I don't know if the stock came that way or if you helped aid in the blurring. It's be perhaps a bit more eyecatching xD if the eye color was crisper.

I do think the border matches w/the pic and the text ain't half bad, though I'm not sure if red was the way to go. Perhaps you should try and use a color that looks like it could have come from the stock to do the text. At first I saw the text and thought the font was alright but didn't spare a thought about the color. Now I'm imagining how it would look if it was a shade of dark blue or perhaps a shade of green from the eye. Overall, you worked hard :) Neat.

I wonder what the orig. stock looked like.
--

I am still practicing pulling the principles of art (harmony, balance, flow and so on) together whilst exploring all the effects that GIMP and PS can produce. This was done in GIMP earlier today. It's one of the few works in which I have used a lot of smudging. I used several brushes in an attempt to give a bit of texture to it.

C 'n C please.

EDIT: Here is the link to the render I used.

Last edited by Dragoness; 12-17-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:24 AM
miyoun Offline

Send a message via MSN to miyoun Send a message via Skype™ to miyoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoness View Post
Huh. Well, the blurry white areas are both startling (in a good way) but I don't like how the pupil is blurred. I don't know if the stock came that way or if you helped aid in the blurring. It's be perhaps a bit more eyecatching xD if the eye color was crisper.

I do think the border matches w/the pic and the text ain't half bad, though I'm not sure if red was the way to go. Perhaps you should try and use a color that looks like it could have come from the stock to do the text. At first I saw the text and thought the font was alright but didn't spare a thought about the color. Now I'm imagining how it would look if it was a shade of dark blue or perhaps a shade of green from the eye. Overall, you worked hard :) Neat.

--

I am still practicing pulling the principles of art (harmony, balance, flow and so on) together whilst exploring all the effects that GIMP and PS can produce. This was done in GIMP earlier today. It's one of the few works in which I have used a lot of smudging. I used several brushes in an attempt to give a bit of texture to it.

C 'n C please.

EDIT: Here is the link to the render I used.
I really like this. It looks like a little bit of text would finish it; and in a few places it looks a tad too saturated (i think its just my monitor)

this isn't finished yet but I need cnc on it so far.
Spoiler:

original

don't wanna be a sing sing boy | twitter | last.fm
Old 12-18-2010, 01:34 AM
Ketamine Offline

Send a message via AIM to Ketamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiume View Post
I really like this. It looks like a little bit of text would finish it; and in a few places it looks a tad too saturated (i think its just my monitor)

this isn't finished yet but I need cnc on it so far.
Spoiler:
[IMG]imagehere[/IMG]

original
Its a bit too bright on the faces of the noonas but the little sloped edge looks quite good, to this I would more want to emphasise their legs, but a good start.

Also I don't know why but it gave me a bit of a James Bond feel o-o

~TE

Last edited by Ketamine; 12-18-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:04 AM
Kayla Ann Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Kayla Ann Send a message via MSN to Kayla Ann Send a message via Skype™ to Kayla Ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoness
[img]imageherder[/*img]

I feel like, maybe if you toned down the brightness, and focused more on depth/flow, it would look really cool :3

ITS BEEN FAR TOO LONG

meh, i'm rusty.

. tumblr .--------------. factfile - quotes . ---------------. Gallery .
_
Old 12-18-2010, 05:55 AM
XaiakuX Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linchy View Post
Only other thing bothering me is the text. Where'd that reddish bit come from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasia-R View Post

I say, your stock images was a really low quality. Well, it looks like it to me. The eye would be clearer, and not so pixely. It if was a higher quality of a stock, I think you'd get much more better results.

I agree with Linchy's concern of the text. The red just popped out of nowhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoness View Post
I do think the border matches w/the pic and the text ain't half bad, though I'm not sure if red was the way to go.

Well.. I've got some explaining to do.

Okay..
1. It's not really a banner. It's a Photo-edit, which still counts as Graphic Arts, even though this is the Banner and Avatar showcase, I don't see a "Photo-Edit and Wallpaper/Misc Graphic Arts Showcase". So I assumed it safe to post here. With that said, while I applaud your efforts for criticizing it as a banner, it really wasn't a banner at all.

2. The Stock was taken with a 10.1 MP Digital Camera. I took it myself, that is my eye.

3. The red in the text stands out on purpose. The red in the text was caused by a layer effect after a Violet/Orange Gradient. It was meant to fit the Graffiti style of the font. Also the Dark and Evil vibe I was trying to give off, The red reminded me of Blood. It looked cool, so I kept it.

4. I only sharpened the areas with hair. I blurred the Pupil, and the cornea (which I'm not 100% but I believe is the white area of the eye) is super white because it was actually really yellow after all the effects I threw into it. It looked like I had Glaucoma, so I made it white.

5. I am a white man, and I do shower, it's simply a very strange use of the burn tool.

6. I really wish I had kept the original stock to show you guys, but I destroyed it because it had the rest of my face in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla Ann View Post
I feel like, maybe if you toned down the brightness, and focused more on depth/flow, it would look really cool :3

ITS BEEN FAR TOO LONG

meh, i'm rusty.
Don't speak of overbrightness. When I saw this, I saw a layer of white over what would otherwise be a rather good banner. If that white screen wasn't there, I'd love that banner. Especially your choice of words for a .Hack banner.

Last edited by XaiakuX; 12-18-2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:03 PM
FurretFrenzy Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla Ann View Post

ITS BEEN FAR TOO LONG

meh, i'm rusty.

Nice one there i think it's great!

Spoiler:
Old 12-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Anastasia-R Offline
Time Gear Thief

Send a message via MSN to Anastasia-R Send a message via Skype™ to Anastasia-R

Quote:
Well.. I've got some explaining to do.

Okay..
1. It's not really a banner. It's a Photo-edit, which still counts as Graphic Arts, even though this is the Banner and Avatar showcase, I don't see a "Photo-Edit and Wallpaper/Misc Graphic Arts Showcase". So I assumed it safe to post here. With that said, while I applaud your efforts for criticizing it as a banner, it really wasn't a banner at all.
Actually...

Digital Art Showcase

For non-banner or icons work like: Wallpapers, large pieces, logos perhaps, and I guess digital photography. =P
Old 12-20-2010, 03:43 AM
Hoshika Offline

hey guys I'd like to know what you think of my new avatar + sig combo

it's a fat pigeon inb4 OMG USE C4DS
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:00 AM
Arch Enemy Offline
Force the Reason

Send a message via AIM to Arch Enemy Send a message via MSN to Arch Enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshika View Post
hey guys I'd like to know what you think of my new avatar + sig combo

it's a fat pigeon inb4 OMG USE C4DS
Not bad, it looks good, in my opinion. But, the text in your signature, is a little bit hard-to-read, try placing them somewhere that has empty spaces, or somewhere that is dark, under the pigeon, is a good example. :3 Also, the colors are a little too bright.
Anyway, what do you all think of these?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Hoshika Offline

Some of that text is really really hard to read. I didn't even notice "in the dark" until just now. :s
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.