Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:43 AM
Skylands Offline

Default Could we manage without technology?

Today, computers and other technology saturate society, traditionally physical jobs often use their own handy dandy intranet structure to send emails and everything, along with lots of special machinery to aid them in the hard physical work, while all kinds of office work and even schools use their own special made software and hardware to make things easier and more effective. People use the Internet for far more than just finding info; people chat, discuss, and some people even live online. In many pockets, we find phones hundreds of times more powerful than all the computers that were used to send the first men to the Moon, and people know how to use those things.

Now imagine that something happened, be it some strange cosmical phenomenon, crazy EMP warfare, or some other event that pretty much made us unable to use electricity ever again.

Would humanity be screwed, or would we manage to deal with being set hundreds of years back in the past? Would businessmen be able to do the tasks that their computers rush through, manually?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: Could we manage without technology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylands View Post
Today, computers and other technology saturate society, traditionally physical jobs often use their own handy dandy intranet structure to send emails and everything, along with lots of special machinery to aid them in the hard physical work, while all kinds of office work and even schools use their own special made software and hardware to make things easier and more effective. People use the Internet for far more than just finding info; people chat, discuss, and some people even live online. In many pockets, we find phones hundreds of times more powerful than all the computers that were used to send the first men to the Moon, and people know how to use those things.

Now imagine that something happened, be it some strange cosmical phenomenon, crazy EMP warfare, or some other event that pretty much made us unable to use electricity ever again.

Would humanity be screwed, or would we manage to deal with being set hundreds of years back in the past? Would businessmen be able to do the tasks that their computers rush through, manually?
We'd go back to manual labour I suppose. Or steam engines at least, meaning that our environment dies that much faster.

We could manage, but the society that we know now that presses for progress on the electronical front so strongly would probably crumble. It would probably be a great time to push for societal change.

Geeks as a species would probably crash along with the internet though. also, no more Pokemon = We're finished.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 11-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Not a snowball's chance in hell. With the amount we depend on technology, we'll be dying out within a month. The only humans left will be the Amish.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

The good thing about the "what if" is that it's impossible, I guess. Electricity is a natural phenomenon that's just movement of electrons, so it'll always be around as long as protons and electrons are around.

But we'll do just fine without electricity, but not without some serious problems with restructuring the world. We'll probably rely on gas and coal as fuels even more than now, and apartments probably wouldn't live for too long after electricity goes away. Medicine moves back to a more family-oriented style as well for a while. The good thing here is that knowledge doesn't go away with electricity, so in that sense we'll be ok for a while.

The thing is, we'll most likely pour billions into researching some sort of alternative energy, which eventually gets us back to where we are now anyway.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

I'd probably have to agree with Kenny, even if some EMP-like effect were to knock out most electronics, sure, some areas would be greatly affected by it, but probably only for a little while before some backup alternative and disaster recovery plan is put into place.

And in truth, its not like you can eliminate the aspect of electricity entirely. As long as there is life, it still exists in some shape and form.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Skylands Offline

As a species, I say yes, humanity will go on just fine if technology just suddenly stopped working (which as far-fetched as it sounds, is possible - peak oil, solar flares (especially those on or even exceeding, the scale of that of the Carrington Event), any of these can screw up technology really good); the problem is whether as individuals could we continue to survive.

There are probably a great many people out there who rely on some form of modern technology to even just survive - those with pacemakers, for example. Without modern technology, clean water will also become very hard to come by, and food could either mean catching and killing an animal and cooking it with fire started with the most ancient methods (sticks, stone sparks, solar energy) or trying to find edible fruit and plants - both can be dangerous if you can't tell the poisonous food from ones that are safe to eat. Modern city people may not have these kind of knowledge.

Then there's the psychological aspect. There are definitely going to be people who may not be able to accept their lives without technology and either go mad from it, or try to end their lives to escape from the suffering rather than endure it.

In conclusion, humans could survive, but not everyone will.

Last edited by Skylands; 11-23-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Disco Offline

There will definitely be a lot of deaths, as we'll return to the 'survival of the fittest' notion of a species.

Which will be very depressing, as all of the ill who rely on machines won't live for long. And since we are competitive by nature, this could eventually boil down to a small number of humans who are considered 'cream of the crop', despite how relative perfection is.

One major point of technology is that it allows cushion for any incapacitations a person may have. (Not only physical, per se. Say one moved into another country by themselves, and becomes incredibly upset. The average person, who has their family closeby, has that advantage. If you are alone in a new country, however, you do not. This is where other forms of communication are practiced.

Likewise, it also applies to those who rely on machines to survive, such as artificial hearts, CPAP machines, nebulizers, oxygen tanks, and the sort. Likewise, those who only have movements of their fingers would no longer be able to operate an automatic wheelchair. They would then need to rely on another person to help, giving away their sense of independence.)

Instead of having all 'healthy' humans accustom themselves to those 'defective', the option of purging will be much easier, and sadly, it will be the choice that will eventually happen.

Removing technology will then, as an effect, wipe out much of the world's population, only by pure physical/mental need. Then, once we factor in the psychological aspect of it, as many people who are so accustomed to such technology may go insane, then we'll be left with, well. Not many people.

Sure, eventually those people will reproduce, and the population will fill itself again. Removing all forms of technology will then, well, it would create a New World Order by removing all those 'defective' to the new Order. And we really don't need to get started on how unethical it would be to purge a person simply because they're heavily-asthmatic, or cannot move for themselves, need a beating heart to replace their own, or because they're a chronic bed-wetter who relies on the CPAP's pressure to save them from social humiliation.

I wholly believe in the benefit of technology, and I don't believe it should ever be purged. However, I believe that us, as human beings, should rely more on the most complex machine of all- the human mind. All in all, I don't believe that technology is the root of this problem, this infestation of Facebook friends and Youtube users. I believe that we, as human beings, simply don't know when to stop being dependent.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

I'd say about half the global population would die, mostly in cities, since growing food becomes much more difficult, and getting food to where it needs to be even more so. Cities would become overcrowded capitals of disease and starvation. Most people who die of water-borne diseases since, without electricity, there is no safe drinking water.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 12-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Fourthy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Fourthy Send a message via MSN to Fourthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
I'd say about half the global population would die, mostly in cities, since growing food becomes much more difficult, and getting food to where it needs to be even more so. Cities would become overcrowded capitals of disease and starvation. Most people who die of water-borne diseases since, without electricity, there is no safe drinking water.
I'd probably be one of those who die. ._.

I cannot live without technology. I'm too spoiled.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Masami Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Masami Send a message via MSN to Masami

I think so, although It isn't the same circumstance, I'd expect a 'Book of Eli' like world if all technology was arradicated.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Rival Silver Offline
Elite Trainer

There will be alot of deaths, I being one of them.

But yeah, we would get over it eventually. And it would help cut population.

<--- Credit to Doodlebop|Credit to Temporal Snake
Old 12-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Masami Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Masami Send a message via MSN to Masami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival Silver View Post
There will be alot of deaths, I being one of them.

But yeah, we would get over it eventually. And it would help cut population.
Someone who understands, very well done on being win.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:19 AM
Judgmental Arceus Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus

We may manage, but mainly humanity will digress to a point prior to Thomas Edison or to times of native savagery. Many will die of course, as life support will fail forevermore and hunting will become a new pastime for humanity as our violent shows will then have to be replaced with live violent entertainment.

Of course when the electricity first disappears there will be lots of people who will riot and cry out about the end of the world. Anarchy will arise and all will be total chaos.

As the likelihood of all electricity disappearing is pure science fiction, humanity has nothing to worry about.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Cobalt Shadow Offline

Send a message via MSN to Cobalt Shadow Send a message via Skype™ to Cobalt Shadow

I could survive, but I would be very bored. all I would have to do is probably ride my bike, read a book or practise guitar.

Pros of no technology: Less Obesity/Lazyness, Less terrorisms (you need technology to make a bomb don't you? I am not too sure of this one), (If what they are saying about violence in video games is tru) Less violence/school shootings,

Cons of No technology: I would be very bored, More deaths without medical technology, I would have to walk/ ride my bike everywhere, I would have to handwrite projects/essays, i would be restricted to books for study

and there are others that I can't think of at this time of the morning

There are good and bad things of technology so I think we could manage, life would just be very hard

Dragotech, Eternal Moonlight and I are the PE2k Wolf Pack! Fear Fredward the Sparklepire, Bidoof the Soulless and Slenderfairy!
Banner Made by Me
Old 12-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend collector View Post
I could survive, but I would be very bored. all I would have to do is probably ride my bike, read a book or practise guitar.

Pros of no technology: Less Obesity/Lazyness, Less terrorisms (you need technology to make a bomb don't you? I am not too sure of this one), (If what they are saying about violence in video games is tru) Less violence/school shootings,

Cons of No technology: I would be very bored, More deaths without medical technology, I would have to walk/ ride my bike everywhere, I would have to handwrite projects/essays, i would be restricted to books for study

and there are others that I can't think of at this time of the morning

There are good and bad things of technology so I think we could manage, life would just be very hard
That's all you have for cons? Kids these days. Why don't you try starving to death because the world food supply is utterly dependent on electricity, or dying of waterborne diseases since clean water is also dependent on electricity.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."