Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 10-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Doodlebop's Avatar
Doodlebop Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Right there! *points*
Posts: 881
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

May I assume this Book of Life is not written down? Just curious...
__________________

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links

Last edited by Doodlebop; 10-16-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Ridley's Avatar
Ridley Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ż\(ツ)/Ż
Posts: 9,489
Send a message via AIM to Ridley
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Technically nature would want more straights, right? If everyone were gay the human race would go extinct.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Lord Fedora's Avatar
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Y'all stay off my property!
Posts: 8,471
Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebop View Post
May I assume this Book of Life is not written down? Just curious...
I think "The Book of Life" is just the name he applies to his personal philosophyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
Technically nature would want more straights, right? If everyone were gay the human race would go extinct.
a) Nature doesn't want the weak to survive, but we don't really care about that either.
b) Everyone is not gay. *Maybe* ten percent of the population isn't straight, and that's including bisexuals.
c) If that were true then it would mean that homosexuals would only exist with humans, who are pretty much the only animals who regularly defy natural instinct on a regular basis. Not the case, homosexuality exists in the animal kingdom.
__________________
URPG/ASB Stats
98% of teens won't stand up for God. Repost this if you think that statistic is the most laughable thing ever.
My new AIM username is GrayFedora12. Do not respond or click on links from any IMs from LordKhajmer.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Disco's Avatar
Disco Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Massachusetts, USA.
Posts: 960
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

On the other hand, there has been some speculation over the world's overpopulation, and that (I can't believe it's gotten to this point) the world only has enough oxygen to cover some of us.

Homosexuality may not be such a bad thing.

Joke aside!

I'm ambisexual, and highly spiritual, so I understand the topic from both sides.
In all honesty, no, I wouldn't treat someone different. xD I'd be a hypocrite if I said otherwise.
(It won't make me playfully hit on you any less either. o u o:: -creepermuch?- )

Nah, I don't hate straights. xD
To think that others of similar sexualities get applauded for spreading hatred makes me sick a little on the inside.
Being somewhat part of the two following groups, here are some analogies:
It's like a black person being applauded for being racist toward white people. Or an immigrant being applauded for hating Americans. Cross-discrimination follows the defective theory that 'two wrongs indeed make a right.'

(But this may be the pacifist side of me talking.)

Nevertheless! Let me describe my opinion in two ways.

#1. From a political/emotional standpoint:
In the US constitution, citizens are guaranteed freedom of expression, and thus this means that if some dude wants to kiss his boyfriend goodbye before he goes into his car, and since it's perfectly acceptable for a man to do this with a woman, then he should be perfectly allowed. Likewise, if he's full-out dry-humping aforementioned boyfriend, since it's equally as disgusting when a heterosexual couple does it, then he should gtfo and get a room.

There has never been a situation in which I've felt like I was distinctly different from a straight person for being ambisexual. In fact, playing Pokémon has made me feel further different from other teenagers than that. xD
I'm faithful toward God, and this detail about me doesn't affect my faith. My family has always been highly-religious, and so it was only a matter of time that I developed some sort of spirituality as well. Being ambisexual doesn't make me feel at all different toward my religion, no matter how some specific humans may think of my decision of lifestyle.

#2. From a religious standpoint:
Humans are sinners in nature, so if one commits a sin, it's not the sin itself that matters. Rather, it is the severity of said sin. Think about this: Sex before marriage is considered a sin. But how many couples truly and purely love one another, are overall good people, that have done this? My parents for one. Does it make them spawns of satan? Not really.

Sex, for any other means than of reproduction, is a sin. :I Now honestly, how many people have sex purely for pleasure? It's a sin, and society seems to be perfectly in terms with this. In fact, they applaud it.

Disrespecting one's parents is a downright refusal to comply with the Ten Commandments. But are you going to tell an abused child to respect their parents, to accept every single one of their commands, no matter how heinous they may be? If a mother asked for a child to lay their hands upon a searing stove-top, should the child do it?

Here comes the main question of this discussion: Does then, having a relationship with someone of the same gender really become detrimental to society? Having sex for pure pleasure has been counted out as a perfectly-acceptable sin, as is having sex before marriage. Gay marriage isn't politically-acceptable, nor is a relationship. But really, does this make a homosexual couple any different than a heterosexual couple who has no intents of getting married for the moment, nor has any intents of having children?

Between a homosexual, a liar, and a murderer, no one has the right to consider the homosexual of worst sin. It doesn't directly affect anyone, other than themselves. Should we next begin to consider wearing a certain colour a sin?
As part of the non-heterosexual community, I don't believe we should be given any specific rights above heterosexuals. I only believe we deserve just as many rights. If they can get married, so can we. If they can get their ass kicked on the street, so can we. In my opinion, I don't want any special treatment. I just want to be able to talk about my partner in the same way that many girls talk to one another about their boyfriends. At the same time, I want someone, if they have beef with me, to stand up and try and kick my ass without thinking 'oh she gonna pull the descrimination card!'. That's an outright insult. That's about it.

.... -flail-

/seriouspost.

EDIT: More crap to talk about! : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
homosexuality exists in the animal kingdom.
As does rape, really. Look up about traumatic insemination within insects, and you'll find that in some circles, rape is perfectly normal.
Getting in specifics of the animal kingdom, gang-rape is not terribly uncommon in the dolphin community.
Dunno about you, but I sure think homosexuality is a bunch more harmless than rape. O:

EDIT TOO OMG: THANKS YOU GAIS FOR MAKING MY EEVEE VPP HATCH?
__________________

Last edited by Disco; 10-16-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Lord Fedora's Avatar
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Y'all stay off my property!
Posts: 8,471
Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
EDIT: More crap to talk about! : D



As does rape, really. Look up about traumatic insemination within insects, and you'll find that in some circles, rape is perfectly normal.
Getting in specifics of the animal kingdom, gang-rape is not terribly uncommon in the dolphin community.
Dunno about you, but I sure think homosexuality is a bunch more harmless than rape. O:
I know, I was just pointing out that the "homosexuality is against nature" argument is bull.
__________________
URPG/ASB Stats
98% of teens won't stand up for God. Repost this if you think that statistic is the most laughable thing ever.
My new AIM username is GrayFedora12. Do not respond or click on links from any IMs from LordKhajmer.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Disco's Avatar
Disco Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Massachusetts, USA.
Posts: 960
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
I know, I was just pointing out that the "homosexuality is against nature" argument is bull.

I know. :F I was just supplying evidence for your argument. <3
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Professor Geoffrey's Avatar
Professor Geoffrey Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: My laboratory.
Posts: 6,512
Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

I don't really know anybody that is gay, lesbian, or bisexual. It is very rare where I live; at least, it is at my school. I mean, we do have a pansexual, but I doubt he really means it. But we treat him the same as any other person.

I do have an internet friend, however, that I did know was bisexual. I completely supported that. Then she said that she thought that she really doesn't like guys at all, telling me she is, in fact, a lesbian. I still support that wholeheartedly. She's still one of my best internet friends. We still have each other's Facebook. I still talk to her whenever I can. So, if one of my friends came to me and said that they were gay, lesbian, or even bisexual, I wouldn't mind. I'd still support them. Besides, all my friends know I'm asexual. Sexual preference doesn't change who you are personality wise, for the most part.

... however, I'm a little iffy on the practice. I am a Christian, after all, but there is some confusion in the Bible. A lot of what is said in the Old Testament is obsolete. Shaving, diet, sexuality, witchcraft, et cetera. So, I say, if you're gay, lesbian, or bisexual, that's awesome. More power to you. But you better actually love the person, too. It can't be just lust. But the same goes towards straight people, as well.
__________________
❒ SINGLE ❒ TAKEN ✔ LAPRAS RIDER
The Professor of Pokémon Elite 2000.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Disco's Avatar
Disco Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Massachusetts, USA.
Posts: 960
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Geoffrey View Post
So, I say, if you're gay, lesbian, or bisexual, that's awesome. More power to you. But you better actually love the person, too. It can't be just lust. But the same goes towards straight people, as well.
And this is why we should get married, regardless of our sexualities. ; DDDDD
-creeper lol-
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-17-2010, 12:39 AM
Rival Silver's Avatar
Rival Silver Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Johto
Posts: 565
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

I'm straight.

I have nothing against gays, I don't think they should adopt though. Kinda odd dealing with two dads and the way they act. Same with lesbians.

I'm cool with woman bi's... but guys.. no, just no.
__________________

<--- Credit to Doodlebop|Credit to Temporal Snake
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-17-2010, 03:13 AM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
Technically nature would want more straights, right? If everyone were gay the human race would go extinct.
Well, I'm not so sure about that. That's the fascinating part about nature. For almost everything in existence, animals have some sort of a control mechanism to keep their population to an acceptable/reasonable level partly because of evolution. Science has always attributed one control mechanism as "natural selection and drift", based upon the empirical observation on evolution and its impacts on populations.

There is one very interesting study that a friend of mine had read. Surveyers basically conducted a serveys and asked for sexual orientation in urban centers and rural areas. The surprising factor is that the urban, more population dense, areas have higher incidence of homosexuality as opposed to less populous areas, which are generally more rural. Yup, a direct correlation between population size and homosexuality rate.

Of course, the implications can be anywhere between selective pressures to simply people who are homosexual tending to migrate to urban centers, but it's fascinating to speculate on the implications if confounders like the latter are controlled. There's probably a follow up study sooner or later, but I'm not in the position to look for something like this.

This has, however, been shown on rats. Population size directly correlates with homosexuality rates in lab controlled experiments.

For me, I don't care. It really doesn't matter if that person is gay, lesbian, bi, transexual, transgendered, etc. At the end of the day, that is still a person and deserves the same amount of respect as anybody else. I don't care for some random genetic switches.

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 10-17-2010 at 03:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-17-2010, 03:31 AM
Lord Fedora's Avatar
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Y'all stay off my property!
Posts: 8,471
Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival Silver View Post
I have nothing against gays, I don't think they should adopt though. Kinda odd dealing with two dads and the way they act. Same with lesbians.
You're assuming that they would act differently to a straight couple adopting. And even if they did, there's really no actual standard norm for parenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME Magazine
According to the 2000 census, the vast majority — more than 75% — of American households differ in structure from two married, heterosexual parents and their biological children. We are a nation of blended and multi-generational families, adoptive and foster families, and families headed by single parents, divorced parents, unmarried parents, same-sex couples and more. Despite [critics'] assertions to the contrary, there is no single "traditional" family structure in the United States.
http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...569797,00.html

The same article there cites actual studies which showed no difference in development between children raised by straight parents and those raised by gay ones.
__________________
URPG/ASB Stats
98% of teens won't stand up for God. Repost this if you think that statistic is the most laughable thing ever.
My new AIM username is GrayFedora12. Do not respond or click on links from any IMs from LordKhajmer.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Broderick's Avatar
Broderick Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Your local Mental Asylum.
Posts: 1,769
Send a message via AIM to Broderick Send a message via MSN to Broderick
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

I'm going to be honest here; I'm a hypocrite when it comes to homosexuality. I'm somewhat homophobic, as in I feel a little weird when I'm around an obviously gay person (men, namely since I'm male). However, I'm not at all vocal about it or rude to whomever I'm near. For example, I get my hair cut by one of my mom's employees, who is gay. I feel a little put off, but whatever. Despite this, it is sexually attractive to me when women are lesbian/bisexual. Haters gonna hate.

To anyone who says they are straight and have never had a gay thought, I'm calling shenanigans. Never would I kiss another guy, or have any sort of relations with them, but it's popped into my head every once in a while. That's perfectly normal and people need to realize this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Jack Frost's Avatar
Jack Frost Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 37
Send a message via AIM to Jack Frost
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

I keep seeing someone saying Homoseuality is a belief... How is it a belief? It is not a religion, it is just a ntural reaction. Would you call being straight a belief? I just don't get it...

And how is it only ok for girls to be gay but not for guys... that's just slightly arrogant don't you think?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Doodlebop's Avatar
Doodlebop Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Right there! *points*
Posts: 881
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Geoffrey View Post
I don't really know anybody that is gay, lesbian, or bisexual. It is very rare where I live; at least, it is at my school. I mean, we do have a pansexual, but I doubt he really means it. But we treat him the same as any other person.

I do have an internet friend, however, that I did know was bisexual. I completely supported that. Then she said that she thought that she really doesn't like guys at all, telling me she is, in fact, a lesbian. I still support that wholeheartedly. She's still one of my best internet friends. We still have each other's Facebook. I still talk to her whenever I can. So, if one of my friends came to me and said that they were gay, lesbian, or even bisexual, I wouldn't mind. I'd still support them. Besides, all my friends know I'm asexual. Sexual preference doesn't change who you are personality wise, for the most part.

... however, I'm a little iffy on the practice. I am a Christian, after all, but there is some confusion in the Bible. A lot of what is said in the Old Testament is obsolete. Shaving, diet, sexuality, witchcraft, et cetera. So, I say, if you're gay, lesbian, or bisexual, that's awesome. More power to you. But you better actually love the person, too. It can't be just lust. But the same goes towards straight people, as well.
I'm pretty sure that it's in the New Testament, though. Like, somewhere in Second Peter. Maybe. I've never been good at remembering stuff like that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Frost
I keep seeing someone saying Homoseuality is a belief... How is it a belief? It is not a religion, it is just a ntural reaction. Would you call being straight a belief? I just don't get it...

And how is it only ok for girls to be gay but not for guys... that's just slightly arrogant don't you think?
I'm going to assume you're talking about me? Well, I'm using the term 'belief' just for the lack of the better word. Um... How does viewpoint sound? Better?

Also, I agree with the second part. That really makes no sense for it to be okay for girls, but no for guys. It's somewhat sexist, to be honest.
__________________

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebop View Post
I'm going to assume you're talking about me? Well, I'm using the term 'belief' just for the lack of the better word. Um... How does viewpoint sound? Better?

Also, I agree with the second part. That really makes no sense for it to be okay for girls, but no for guys. It's somewhat sexist, to be honest.
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he basically is saying that it's not a belief. It's something more inherent, more genetic. I'm inclined to agree that we do have inherent genetic switches for homosexuality, but there is absolutely very little known about it. Some say that it's a developmental issue and bring up statistics on sexual dimorphic areas of the brain (that is, a gay male would appear female in those areas of the brain, vice versa, and bisexuals are in the middle), others argue that population genetics have shown this to be the case. Whatever the argument is, it is almost impossible to deny any genetic influence on homosexuality, especially since it is observed in lower animals, to which we don't consider them to have anything close to a belief, viewpoint, cognitive dissonance, etc.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com