Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:37 AM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
Budding religious scholar man incoming. You aren't technically Wiccan based on belief alone, it's a religion of practice. And since you can't learn the practices of Wicca except by being part of a coven, and since it's against the rules to initiate someone under the age of 18 due to the sexual aspects of it, no one can actually have always been Wiccan. You do have to actually join.

Notice: This is based on my personal research into the Wicca religion. There may be some covens out there who do initiate minors, however I do not know of them.
Well I didn't know that. She's ten years older then me so yeah. :P But that's interesting to know. She's told be some things about it and it's actually pretty interesting, but she hasn't gone into much depth though, I'm guessing she can't or something. *shrugs* But I'll ask her if she had to be 18 to join.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Last edited by scubasteveE; 10-12-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:56 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near View Post
Khaj, no one likes a smart ass.
You're right, they don't. So get out.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:16 AM
Larvinator Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Larvinator Send a message via Skype™ to Larvinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near View Post
Khaj, no one likes a smart ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
You're right, they don't. So get out.
Well, that didn't take long at all!

I used to be a serious jerk of an atheist, the sort of person who'd want people to bring up religion with me so I could chew out their beliefs. Thank God (hah) I got over that phase; nobody likes that kind of person in anything, especially not religion! Now I'm just a content, neutral agnostic who likes learning about other faiths because it's interesting.

I went through a bit of a Buddhist phase, but meh, I'm really just too lazy to get into religion. Too lazy to care, too lazy to practice, that sort of thing.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:20 PM
NTT Offline
Experienced Trainer

I am an agnostic atheist. A lot of my immediate family are religious though, so I tend to shorten this to "agnostic" =P. I'm not one of those annoying, in-your-face anti theists that goes looking for arguments, but I'm unlikely to keep my mouth shut in the presence of a creationist (:

Wifi (Soul Silver): 1677 6730 3945
Shoddy Battle (Smogon Server): NTT
Pokémon Online (Beta Server): NTT
Old 10-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

I'm pretty nonreligious myself, but I was brought up a Buddhist. I'd probably still pick Buddhism if I have to choose right now as well. The irony, of course, is that technically speaking Buddhism is an athetistic religion.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Doodlebop Offline

Christian. I've already made this pretty obvious in other parts of the forum.

My entire family is Christian. Also, I live in the bible belt of the U.S. and all, so..

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links
Old 10-19-2010, 03:45 PM
MaskedJackal Offline

Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal

Christian. If I had to choose a denomination, Calvinist.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
I'm pretty nonreligious myself, but I was brought up a Buddhist. I'd probably still pick Buddhism if I have to choose right now as well. The irony, of course, is that technically speaking Buddhism is an athetistic religion.
Depends on where you are... I know at least in China Buddhists have a crapton of deities.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 10-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Depends on where you are... I know at least in China Buddhists have a crapton of deities.
I know, which is why I said "technically" and not "literally", because for the Chinese we tend to treat them as deities. It's interesting, since I remember commercials in Chinese radio that actually promote Buddhism as a philosophy rather than a religion.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:26 AM
!CeMAn Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Send a message via MSN to !CeMAn

I've come to know all too well that sometimes religion chooses you. And, when such a thing happens, you better stand up and accept the offer. Free will goes so far but every now and then we'll get a nudge.
Just don't take anything too seriously.

Also, i feel it's best not to actually settle into anything until you've grown up and have a much better understanding of yourself and what you want, from life and the world around you. Not that you can't change your mind, but let's face it: who wants to look stupid in front of a deity?
Also, no religious tattoos!
Old 11-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Alonso Offline

Send a message via AIM to Alonso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv9IvCpiHxA

An interesting video
Go to the Anime section

Old 11-13-2010, 01:29 AM
Retro-Smasher Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

I'm atheist because I think it's a ridiculous and stupid thought that theres some otherworldly all powerful being out there... But I do believe in spirits xD

Thanks Mw!
Smashing Stats
Old 11-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Team_Edward019 Offline
Elite Trainer

I'm an athiest....nuff said....I guess I should give you reasons though....
  1. The way the men in the bible treat women is disgusting
  2. There is too much pain and suffering in this world for there to be a God
  3. Ehem....evolution!? There's plenty of proof; MONKEYS FTW!
  4. At my primary school, we had a religious education class....I got mama to excuse me from it permenantly >_>
  5. I don't want to become one of those mindless drones that would apparently give up their life for some dude that prolly doesn't exist
Now please pardon me if I have greatly offended anyone, but we are all entitled to opinions and this is mine. I have absolutely have no doubt there was a guy named Jesus, but there is no proof he had any of those said powers of providing miracles.

I would however, love to learn about any of those slightly 'darker' as many say, religions and cults. Like those who worship the goddess Nyx, or any of the pagan or previously said wiccan groups. Buddhism is also quite an interesting belief, and many of the mythologies like the Greeks and Romans are sorta cool.

Now to those Christians/Catholics who are gunna flame me; I concede that we are both atheists, because once you realize why you dismiss all the other possible religions; you'll understand why I dismiss yours. Because out of all other religions, what makes you so sure yours is the only right one.

Pardon the short story, you may now leave

OMIGAWSHWARNINGWTH
The Pokemon Elemental Forums suck; don't go there.
They have an irresponsible, unreliable Admin, and two power
hungry moderators that will ban you if you say anything
that's even a smidgen not to their liking.
Don't say I didn't warn you.
Gakupo Luka
♥~Paired To The Epic Peace Buyer~♥
Old 11-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by !CeMAn View Post
I've come to know all too well that sometimes religion chooses you. And, when such a thing happens, you better stand up and accept the offer. Free will goes so far but every now and then we'll get a nudge.
Just don't take anything too seriously.

Also, i feel it's best not to actually settle into anything until you've grown up and have a much better understanding of yourself and what you want, from life and the world around you. Not that you can't change your mind, but let's face it: who wants to look stupid in front of a deity?
Also, no religious tattoos!
Shows your age amongst the youngsters around here, old man. ;)
The issue with religion choosing you is simply that you perceive this to be the case. Whether or not you have that kind of perception is literally a product of who you are as well. That is to say that certain people are more likely to become religious than others. I honestly don't think religion itself is bad; certainly its teachings (whichever one) are to direct people to good. It is only the people who do things under the name of religion that is bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Smasher View Post
I'm atheist because I think it's a ridiculous and stupid thought that theres some otherworldly all powerful being out there... But I do believe in spirits xD
What's the difference between one supernatural phenomenon against another supernatural phenomenon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Edward019 View Post
The way the men in the bible treat women is disgusting
Perhaps. Then again we recognize that gender inequality will pretty much always exist. Even now.

Quote:
There is too much pain and suffering in this world for there to be a God
Certain religions claim that "to live is to suffer", such as Hinduism. This is consistent with their claims, thus there is no cognitive dissonance. What may cause cognitive dissonance in one religion doesn't mean there would be in another.

Quote:
Ehem....evolution!? There's plenty of proof; MONKEYS FTW!
Evolution is a natural phenomenon. It does not conflict with religion, which is a supernatural phenomenon. Just because evangelical Christians doesn't accept evolution as a straight fact, doesn't mean the existence of evolution disproves religion as you seem to imply.

Secondarily, monkeys have the same ancestor as we do. That has nothing to do with anything.

Quote:
At my primary school, we had a religious education class....I got mama to excuse me from it permenantly >_>
Why? I mean, even I did a bit of Christianity in elementary school despite not being one. There's no real harm in trying to understand a religion even if you don't believe in it.

Quote:
I don't want to become one of those mindless drones that would apparently give up their life for some dude that prolly doesn't exist
To be fair, more than half of the Christians are normal people like you and I. Yes it is unfortunate that we do have a heavily religious cult in America that has a stranglehold on a large number of the states (i.e. red states). Yes it is unfortunate that they happen to preach the same thing as a large number of people who aren't part of this same cult (i.e. the rest of the Christians). That doesn't mean they are entirely representative to the population.

Secondarily to that, there is nothing stating that you can't live a full life and still work under the mindframe of whichever religion one chooses.

Quote:
I would however, love to learn about any of those slightly 'darker' as many say, religions and cults. Like those who worship the goddess Nyx, or any of the pagan or previously said wiccan groups. Buddhism is also quite an interesting belief, and many of the mythologies like the Greeks and Romans are sorta cool.
Christianity is as dark as any other religion. It ranks in the top 3 for "bloodiest religion" in terms of sheer number. Heck, what's wrong with Hinduism, Muslim, etc. either?

Quote:
Now to those Christians/Catholics who are gunna flame me; I concede that we are both atheists, because once you realize why you dismiss all the other possible religions; you'll understand why I dismiss yours. Because out of all other religions, what makes you so sure yours is the only right one.

Pardon the short story, you may now leave
They'd still be theists, because they dismiss other religions specifically because there is only 1 God in their mind. Therefore, the reason they dismiss other religions is different from yours due to a different starting position.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:22 PM
WatchMeBeQuieter Offline
Elite Trainer

Until a few years ago, I was a Christian Protestant, but I switched faiths to Unitarian Universalist because it's so much nicer and more believable.

Hork-Bajir . . . . Taxxon