Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-13-2010, 01:04 AM
gpFish's Avatar
gpFish Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 38
Send a message via MSN to gpFish
Default Censorship of the arts?

Do you think it should be allowed to censor certain arts? For any reason? If so which ones?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Skylands's Avatar
Skylands Offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The world may never know
Posts: 1,723
Default Re: Censorship of the arts?

It depends the piece of artwork and where it is shown. Some art contains mature themes, and younger people will either A) Freak out and tell their parents, or B) Make a joke about it.

To avoid vulgar comments, censor it. However, if displaying the original piece, put it in a different section of a museum (or wherever it's displayed) for rated mature content.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Retro-Smasher's Avatar
Retro-Smasher Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portside, lower deck, in a hammock!
Posts: 1,479
Default Re: Censorship of the arts?

Censorship of the arts? Sounds like communism to me, eh Stalin? No art should ever be censored, doesn't matter what it is. Its art! A way to express oneself! If I painted a beautiful picture of a naked lady, I wouldn't want it to get censored just because some sissy kids can't handle it. Art should be left as it is. If the already crappy and represive capitalist government starts censoring art, I'm leaving the U.S.
__________________

Thanks Mw!
Smashing Stats
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Censorship of the arts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Smasher View Post
Censorship of the arts? Sounds like communism to me, eh Stalin? No art should ever be censored, doesn't matter what it is. Its art! A way to express oneself! If I painted a beautiful picture of a naked lady, I wouldn't want it to get censored just because some sissy kids can't handle it. Art should be left as it is. If the already crappy and represive capitalist government starts censoring art, I'm leaving the U.S.
Art is also used as a powerful form of propaganda. Nazis have repeatedly used art as a way to brainwash people of their nation into doing their bidding. What art is, in itself, is a double-edged sword. It can be a powerful motivator for people, not just simply whether or not genitals and breasts are shown or not.

Outside of the US, pretty much the censorship dealing with genitals/breasts are a non-issue, but the issue still stands because of the fact that you can create hateful art and art pertaining to propaganda. That's where all the problems would normally lie.

Freedom of expression does, however, cover art. So by technicality even hateful art is by itself "legal". Whether or not it should be condoned is up to the individual.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-19-2010, 02:18 AM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Censorship of the arts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Art is also used as a powerful form of propaganda. Nazis have repeatedly used art as a way to brainwash people of their nation into doing their bidding. What art is, in itself, is a double-edged sword. It can be a powerful motivator for people, not just simply whether or not genitals and breasts are shown or not.

Outside of the US, pretty much the censorship dealing with genitals/breasts are a non-issue, but the issue still stands because of the fact that you can create hateful art and art pertaining to propaganda. That's where all the problems would normally lie.

Freedom of expression does, however, cover art. So by technicality even hateful art is by itself "legal". Whether or not it should be condoned is up to the individual.
We do, however, have hate crimes. And honestly, while the defense "It's art" can cover a lot, you can go too far, i.e. I don't think anyone would consider it art if you put up a noose in a black neighborhood.

Personally, I think people resort to freedom of expression as a defense for dubious actions way too much. It's never really existed; societal taboos always exist even if legally you can't be punished for calling people the n-word.
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 08-19-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:15 AM
gpFish's Avatar
gpFish Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 38
Send a message via MSN to gpFish
Default Re: Censorship of the arts?

I don't think the arts should be censored. Since what is wrong is subjective. Also if you can censor one thing someone else can censor another. If something offends you. You can just not buy it.

Yes art can be used for very nasty things. But there is a side of every coin. And so is censoring.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Censorship of the arts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
We do, however, have hate crimes. And honestly, while the defense "It's art" can cover a lot, you can go too far, i.e. I don't think anyone would consider it art if you put up a noose in a black neighborhood.
The line has been blurring with music, for example. The issue is separating that from something else. (Un)fortunately, it's not like any of the music that is controversial is mainstream anyways. It would just be in some niche. Interesting how even the mainstream is double-edged when it comes to music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Personally, I think people resort to freedom of expression as a defense for dubious actions way too much. It's never really existed; societal taboos always exist even if legally you can't be punished for calling people the n-word.
Yes, but it doesn't stop you from doing it, even under social pressures.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-22-2010, 02:58 AM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Censorship of the arts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Yes, but it doesn't stop you from doing it, even under social pressures.
Well yes, you can do anything, you just have to accept the consequences. I think "Freedom of Speech" implies that there would be no consequences for anything you say, but society has consequences anyways. Hence what I said.

On topic: I think, while total censorship is undesirable, it's fine to censor something off major channels of communications. If something is not appropriate for general audiences, force it to stay within its niche.
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com