Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default In the News v 2.0

Yup, it's back up and running. Post news here and stuff. Remember to cite the url where you got stuff from.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/13/wo..._r=1&ref=world

Kashmir revolt in India:
Quite shocking on how India actually treats some of its own citizens just because of the looming "threat" of Pakistan. Interestingly enough, it's sad that stuff like this still happens today, and India is not alone as a country to do so.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: In the News v 2.0

I don't find it surprising, really... India has a long history of oppression, both oppressing the lower castes and being oppressed (by the British).

Although, I hardly think Pakistan can be considered a threat now, with much of its land flooded.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 08-14-2010, 12:12 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
I don't find it surprising, really... India has a long history of oppression, both oppressing the lower castes and being oppressed (by the British).

Although, I hardly think Pakistan can be considered a threat now, with much of its land flooded.
Ah yes, the caste system. I do agree with that sentiment. However, the irony is that this is well beyond the times of oppression, and despite its history, it's repeating it. Then again, this sort of irony happens basically anywhere in the world. However, as long as the world is able to dig these "dirty secrets" up, countries do have to start acting more smartly as well.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:11 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

More attacks in Iraq

Well, it's not like this doesn't happen in the middle east all the time anyways...Interestingly...

Jerusalem Barrier goes down

By that I mean the Jews there are having their barrier go down in what normally would have protected them from sniper fire from the Christian side in like 2002. If things work out, this can help with the stability of that area. However, since there is no sort of positive "clamour" that you see like in the demolition of the Berlin wall, I have doubts that this move will do much.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

US Tightens Off-shore Regulations

This is actually pretty obvious with the grand scheme of BP oil spill and all. What's important to know is to acknowledge the dangers of off-shore drilling, and understand that we really should be going away from using oil as our primary source of fuel.

Also...
China is now the second largest economy in the world

Yup. That was coming. This quarter has shown that China has now surpassed Japan as the second largest economy in the world (at something like 1.33 trillion). So the rising powers of those "Cruddy Chinese Communist Spies" are totally going to catch up to the almighty superpower of the US and cause the world to become like totally havoc. Or nobody cares because China is only communist in name and capitalistic in nature. Figures.
(source NY Times...when I was reading it this morning in lecture)

Pakistan not looking too hot

That flood there is leaving many homeless and stranded. The irony is that in general most of us are unaware of the millions being affected each year due to floods (China pretty much gets a couple every year...), while there was an increcible about of public outcry for New Orleans after Katrina. Again, I guess this has a lot to do with how close this is to home. Direct impact is one of the things that actually kills apathy.

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 08-16-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to Sixto Send a message via MSN to Sixto

I think this is newsworth.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/reut...ated-film.html

'Toy Story 3' top-grossing animated film of all time, passes 'Shrek 2.'

Very well deserved, imo.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:38 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
China is now the second largest economy in the world

Yup. That was coming. This quarter has shown that China has now surpassed Japan as the second largest economy in the world (at something like 1.33 trillion). So the rising powers of those "Cruddy Chinese Communist Spies" are totally going to catch up to the almighty superpower of the US and cause the world to become like totally havoc. Or nobody cares because China is only communist in name and capitalistic in nature. Figures.
(source NY Times...when I was reading it this morning in lecture)

Pakistan not looking too hot

That flood there is leaving many homeless and stranded. The irony is that in general most of us are unaware of the millions being affected each year due to floods (China pretty much gets a couple every year...), while there was an increcible about of public outcry for New Orleans after Katrina. Again, I guess this has a lot to do with how close this is to home. Direct impact is one of the things that actually kills apathy.
It's going to happen. China has plenty of the most valuable resource in the world: cheap labor, the backbone of every superpower in every age. I think that, like it or not, once a society becomes "developed" it will be overtaken by the "developing", as the natural cycle of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixto View Post
I think this is newsworth.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/reut...ated-film.html

'Toy Story 3' top-grossing animated film of all time, passes 'Shrek 2.'

Very well deserved, imo.
I don't think that was Kenny's intention with the thread :(

I thought Toy Story 3 was good, but not great.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 08-20-2010, 03:08 AM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to Sixto Send a message via MSN to Sixto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
I don't think that was Kenny's intention with the thread :(

I thought Toy Story 3 was good, but not great.
Aww. Forgive me for breaking the rules he clearly posted we follow. :(
Old 08-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Oh no it's fine. I would generally post more serious articles that matter on the global scale. It's fine to have some noteworthy entertainment stuff every now and then.

I'm not sure about a developed country being overtaken by the developing though. If anything, China and India are exceptions rather than the rule. Places like Zambia has essentially no hope to get out of this "developing" status.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/wo...html?ref=world
Wikileaks continue to be under fire from the US. Seriuosly, this country has wayyyyy too many skeletons in the closet. I'm 99% sure Wikileaks has some of the most problematic documents that would hurt the US just as much as the other documents have already done so. Obama's decision to withdraw is a good one considering the revelations. Dirty tricks is interesting though. I'd expect Wikileaks to continuously be under fire until either they be good boys and give back the documents, or they find another means to process and post them. Well, the latter would need balls of steel, which they seem to be having atm.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/us...html?ref=world
The withdraw will be completing soon in Iraq as well. Aside from a few troops here and there, that's it. And Iraq will likely remain in turmoil for years to come. At least it wouldn't be as bad as before, I hope.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/wo...html?ref=world
Iran finally opens a nuclear power plant. The Russians will be there to help out for a couple of years. IIRC the uranium's coming straight from the US or something, so that Iran can't do any monkey business, I presume. I don't remember if this was the case though. If not, Obama would be treading a thin line, abide less thin than the one Bush had.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:18 AM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

I usually don't partake in the discussion of world news(unless it involves animals, pokemon, or pie), but my bro's girlfriend was reading this article in the car to us, and I found it interesting. http://www.calgaryherald.com/story_p...88874&sponsor=

I figure you will have something to say about this kenny. But I found it interesting because it sounds vaguely familiar to other cases of worldwide pandemics, that didn't turn out to be worldwide.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 08-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Yeah I noticed that on the news a little while ago. I actually have very little knowledge on this subject at the moment, since I don't really have the time to look into it too much. It is pretty scary to know that something like this is on the loose. Again, seems to be hitting the young/elderly/AIDS group the hardest as usual.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Obama: 50 billion on transportation

Smart man, this Obama. Infrastructure is a nearly universal rule in prosperity. In any case, in the short term it'll create more jobs, since people are crapping out about that. In the long term the money spent on infrastructure means it'll last the country quite a bit of time until more infrastructure needs to be laid down. Possibly by the next president's next term (and I still highly doubt that Obama would have another term). However, I doubt this move will help him even the slightest in the mid-term elections. I fully expect Obama to sink hard during the elections despite delivering on his promise of change (well...he did...just that the status quo with the promise of change was what people wanted I guess).
Old 11-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Where's my Government Health care?

So here we have a man who voted against health care wanting for a government option for buying into health care...which he just voted against. Smooth.

The rebuttal was also quite smooth, since he pointed out the inefficiencies of the government options...which he is a part of. Dang, this guy just digs holes like no other.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Where's my Government Health care?

So here we have a man who voted against health care wanting for a government option for buying into health care...which he just voted against. Smooth.

The rebuttal was also quite smooth, since he pointed out the inefficiencies of the government options...which he is a part of. Dang, this guy just digs holes like no other.
I actually read that.

It's a classic case of shooting yourself in the foot. Maybe if more people read this, they'd realise just how messed up their politicians are. It's hard to decide if you should pity them because they have to keep reiterating the party line to protect their positions, or if you should scorn them for the hypocrites they are.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 11-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
I actually read that.

It's a classic case of shooting yourself in the foot. Maybe if more people read this, they'd realise just how messed up their politicians are. It's hard to decide if you should pity them because they have to keep reiterating the party line to protect their positions, or if you should scorn them for the hypocrites they are.
I vote scorn. Maybe if they were less hypocritical and more honest then no one would have to throw out this party line crud to keep their positions in the first place.