Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » First & Second Generations

First & Second Generations Discuss the first and second generation games: Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal.

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:41 AM
SLC Offline

Send a message via AIM to SLC
Default SLCalamity's Solo Run - Magikarp

Hello, I'm SLCalamity, and I am going to be attempting to do a solo run. For those who don't know, a solo run is when you travel through Pokémon using one species. HM Slaves are allowed.

For those who want a challenge, most people pick something like Magikarp or Metapod. However, as much as I would like to do something unique, I will be using a Magikarp also. To make the adventure harder, I will not just progress until I catch one, but enter a GS code for me to find one in the wild.

My HM slaves will be:

Totodile - Cut, Surf, Stength, Whirlpool
Poliwag - Waterfall
Hoothoot - Flash, Fly

I will be posting it on the forum so I have motivation to do this, in front of everyone. Wish me luck.

Contents:

Part 1: Floppy, Sprout Tower and the Zephyr Badge
Part 2: Slowpokes, Scyther and Bayleef

Part 3: A better than NORMAL time!

AIM: Politoed Prince

Last edited by SLC; 07-25-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:09 AM
SLC Offline

Default Part 1: Floppy, Sprout Tower and the Zephyr Badge

My story starts with me choosing Totodile as my starter. I chose him because he could utilise 4 HM's at once, where as the others couldn't.

Almost instantly I caught a Hoothoot and a Poliwag, to round of my other HM Slaves.

Then, in the only piece of cheating I will do on this run, I Gamesharked it so that I found a Magikarp in the wild. It was a level 4 female, and I nicknamed it "Floppy." Thought it needed an epic name.

My first encounter with Floppy.

With difficulty, I made it onto that Route just before Violet City. After healing floppy, I set to work levelling it up, splashing 40 times against Hoppips before killing random Pokémon with Struggle, though Hoppip did seem to yield the best results.

Levelling up was painstakingly boring.

After I got to around level 12/13, I started to, after losing all of Splash's PP, going to Sprout Tower, and beating everyone, apart from the last trainer (the one that gives you HM05 Flash). But my that time, I was on the verge of levelling to 15, where I could learn Tackle. I beat one more Hoppip, before taking on the Violet City gym.

I beat the gym trainers with ease, before heading on to battle Falkner. First up was his lvl 7 Pidgey. The best it could do was inflict 3HP of damage per turn, and I beat it quickly.

Next, was his lvl 9 Pidgeotto standing in the way of Floppy and the Zephyr badge. We quickly exchanged blows - my Tackle and his gust, before he got me onto 2 HP; he was on the mid-yellow colour. I used a Potion on Floppy, and that was enough to KO him. I had 7HP remaining. The Zephyr badge was mine!

A simple victory.

Before taking the Togepi egg, I went off to finish Sprout Tower. Try as I could, the Bellsprout's Vine Whip was too powerful. I would come back later.

Taking the Togepi egg, I started to head off to Union cave, where the next leg of my journey would begin...

---

Current Stats - Magikarp (Floppy), Female lvl 15. Current location - Violet City. Badges: 1

To Do:
  • Get HM Flash from Sprout Tower

Old 07-25-2010, 07:46 PM
SLC Offline

Default Part 2: Slowpokes, Scyther and Bayleef

By the way, as this is a "story" of some kind, I assume that the multi-posting is allowed? A mod can tell me otherwise if they want.

Okay, it's time for the second part in this adventure, and this was definitely the most excruciatingly long, back-and-forth chapter I've had in a long time. Basically, after where we left off, Floppy was level 14. After challenging a few trainers on Route 32, I decided to go back to get Flash. It took me a few go's, but it worked in the end. HM Flash was mine!

Due to the amount of Rock-Type trainers, it took me a while to get through Union Cave, but I prevailed in the end, after skipping two of them.

I skipped a few people before coming back to them later.

I headed straight to the well, and completed it with relative ease - a bit of confusion stalled me, but that was about it, to be honest. Everyone got their Slowpokes back.

Kurt get's his Slowpoke back.

And now, for the back and forthness. Magikarp was nowhere near powerful enough to beat Bugsy's Scyther, so I had to repeatedly battle his Metapod and Kakuna to steadily level up. After a lucky miss or two, I managed to overcome him and got myself the Hive Badge. Next up was Red, which was when I realized the first major mistakes I had made in this run; I had chosen Totodile. This meant that I had to face Bayleef, and it kept OHKOing me with Razor Leaf. It was then, however, when I got a plan sorted out.

The only move I had that could defeat Gastly was Struggle, and that wasn't nearly powerful enough to kill the leaf Pokémon. It was then I thought of getting it on the verge of level 30, so that when Floppy defeated Gastly with Struggle, it would level up and learn Flail. This nearly worked; I got it down to low health, but it just kept KOing me. Gameboy off, gameboy on. It was then that I remembered about X-Attacks. I boosted myself to full health using Potions, as to keep Struggle and then when facing Gastly used 4 X-Attacks and 2 X-Defends. It did the job easily!

Getting here took much longer than expected.
---

Current Stats - Magikarp (Floppy), Female lvl 30. Current location - Ilex Forest. Badges: 2

To Do:
  • Nothing

Last edited by SLC; 07-25-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:51 PM
SLC Offline

Default Part 3: A better than NORMAL time!

Wow... that was fast!

Okay guys, I'm back again after beating Whitney. It was quite simple, but first I battled every trainer I could find in the routes leading up to Goldenrod, and the ones just before Sudowoodo.

Into the big city...

So I got past all the gym trainers without going back to the Pokécenter. However, I tried to get some good Flail damage on Miltank, after beating Clefairy, and... you guessed it, I died.

Determined to fight back, I went to the Pokémart and tried to do the X-Attack method. I won easily.

Sweet and easy.

Then, I raced to Sudowoodo, found the girls sister, and then fought it. And lost.

Don't worry. I don't need it.

But nevermind, that's where I'm up to as of now, and I face my biggest challenge so far- Ecruteak!

---

Current Stats - Magikarp (Floppy), Female lvl 33. Current location - Ecruteak. Badges: 3

To Do:
  • Nothing

Old 07-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Send a message via AIM to Etymology
Default Re: SLCalamity's Solo Run - Magikarp

How you'll conquer Morty, I'll never know.

But good luck with that, and gratz for having the motivation and patience to do this!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:44 AM
SLC Offline

Well, at the moment I'm having troubles with Silver and his Haunter, It means I have to use Struggle, but it's not powerful enough to KO any of his others. I think X-Attacks and Guard Specs are the way forward.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:48 AM
SLC Offline

Letting you guys know I haven't given up on this. Waiting until Tuesday to get the item that slightly boosts normal-type attacks.

Closed Thread