Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Art Boards

Art Boards Art boards for both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related art.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Fierce Deity Offline
Ultra RPG Official

Send a message via AIM to Fierce Deity Send a message via MSN to Fierce Deity Send a message via Skype™ to Fierce Deity
Default Re: Signature & Avatar Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoBelic999 View Post
I don't know who to critique, so I guess I don't.

The Wand Tool.

Eh. It doesn't look so good, it doesn't have enough effects. Try some more C4D's, or Fractals, or even Grunge. Also try to stay within the size limit.

It was a request in a shop.
Flow - Well, for starters, the banner pretty much lacks a flow, and while I do see a little bit of flow, it points in all types of directions. That should be avoided because you want your viewers to be able to know where the focal is at (in your case, Darkrai) and you should know where their eyes will follow to next. To create a flow, C4Ds would probably be a good start to creating a flow after you flip/turn/etc that C4D to make it go in the direction matching your render, thus creating a flow.

Light Source - Honestly, I don't see any. That should be avoided almost always since light sources tend to be a staple to most banners. To create a light source, use a Soft Brush, and then look where the light of your render is coming from, then create a light source from that direction. Most of the time I use the soft brush, then I create a new transparent layer with black/white using the Gradient tool with the white being towards the light and black towards the shadows, then setting it to overlay.

Focal - It's clear that Darkrai is the focal, but next time, try sharpening your focal to make them more distinct from the rest. Depending on your tag, you should blur the bg while sharpening the focal. An example would be a person standing in front of a house; the person would be sharpened while the house would be blurred.

So overall, I'd rate the banner 5/10

Anyway, I made a new sprite banner (3 versions of it)

CnC?

WAR XI Team: .
Old 07-13-2010, 08:03 AM
F.D. Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to F.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce Deity View Post

CnC?
I prefer the second one, because the text on the first one stands out too much, and on the third one, the white light is too... plain.

- Nicholas.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Dark Moonlight Offline

Quote:

Flow - Well, for starters, the banner pretty much lacks a flow, and while I do see a little bit of flow, it points in all types of directions. That should be avoided because you want your viewers to be able to know where the focal is at (in your case, Darkrai) and you should know where their eyes will follow to next. To create a flow, C4Ds would probably be a good start to creating a flow after you flip/turn/etc that C4D to make it go in the direction matching your render, thus creating a flow.

Light Source - Honestly, I don't see any. That should be avoided almost always since light sources tend to be a staple to most banners. To create a light source, use a Soft Brush, and then look where the light of your render is coming from, then create a light source from that direction. Most of the time I use the soft brush, then I create a new transparent layer with black/white using the Gradient tool with the white being towards the light and black towards the shadows, then setting it to overlay.

Focal - It's clear that Darkrai is the focal, but next time, try sharpening your focal to make them more distinct from the rest. Depending on your tag, you should blur the bg while sharpening the focal. An example would be a person standing in front of a house; the person would be sharpened while the house would be blurred.

So overall, I'd rate the banner 5/10

CnC?
The light on the third is too bright. I think the font on the first doesn't fit the theme. I like the second overall.

The best banner I've ever made:

C+CC needed!

Spoiler:
Old 07-14-2010, 12:46 AM
Broderick Offline

Send a message via AIM to Broderick Send a message via MSN to Broderick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Moonlight View Post
The light on the third is too bright. I think the font on the first doesn't fit the theme. I like the second overall.

The best banner I've ever made:

C+CC needed!
It's really good man. The only thing I would change just in my opinion, would be to make it darker around the cat's eye farthest to the left. That, and make a dark gradient map, and use the dodge tool on the cat's eyes. I think there isn't enough attention drawn to the main render. This all depends though, did you want the banner to be focused on the text, or the render? It's hard to tell for me, but it's still a good banner.

My first sprite banner in like, ever. I think I made one about a year ago, but yeah. I have mixed feelings about the light source... I knew I needed one, and I tried to make it broad and not overpower the banner. Looking on it now, I think the two low-opacity renders around the focal sprite take away a bit of attention. What do you guys think?
This is also my first banner in about 5 months, so don't go too rough. ^_^; I think it turned out pretty well.
Alonzo, I actually looked at your Kingdra banner a bunch as I was doing this. xD You can probably see the influence.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:01 PM
TheDarkEevee Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broderick View Post
^_^
*gasps* YOU STOLE MY SMILEY!!!! Lol, just kidding.

Anyway, I suppose I should actually rate, eh? Okay, obviously, the focal is nice. It's actually hard for a focal to not be nice in a sprite banner. The background is very... indistinct. It seems to me that I can just about make out what the background is... and then it slips away. I don't know, perhaps take out the images that are distracting? I really don't like sprite banners much though... I just think they're awkward... although that's just me.

^_^

Oh, and just cause' I like it so much, I'm gonna rate Dark Moonlight's too.

Kay, first off, I have to say that I really like it. I don't know exactly what about it that I like, but I do. However, there are some things that can be improved. Like Broderick said, the focal is almost unknown. Is it focusing on the feline image, or the text? Perhaps choose one or the other, and research the rule of thirds. Also, perhaps darken the eyes slightly. Although that might just be my personal taste.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Dynamik Offline

Send a message via AIM to Dynamik Send a message via MSN to Dynamik Send a message via Skype™ to Dynamik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broderick View Post

It's really good man. The only thing I would change just in my opinion, would be to make it darker around the cat's eye farthest to the left. That, and make a dark gradient map, and use the dodge tool on the cat's eyes. I think there isn't enough attention drawn to the main render. This all depends though, did you want the banner to be focused on the text, or the render? It's hard to tell for me, but it's still a good banner.

My first sprite banner in like, ever. I think I made one about a year ago, but yeah. I have mixed feelings about the light source... I knew I needed one, and I tried to make it broad and not overpower the banner. Looking on it now, I think the two low-opacity renders around the focal sprite take away a bit of attention. What do you guys think?
This is also my first banner in about 5 months, so don't go too rough. ^_^; I think it turned out pretty well.
Alonzo, I actually looked at your Kingdra banner a bunch as I was doing this. xD You can probably see the influence.

It's rather bland, imo. Have the sprite blend in more with the tag, it stands out a bit much. The colors don't really mesh to well either. The background sprites do seem a little sloppy too. The light source seems to be pretty good, though. Overall, it's alright.

I haven't played around with gfx in like, 327648372 years though, so yeah. :p

Credit to FD!

Last edited by Dynamik; 07-14-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:15 PM
PureGoober Offline
Elite Trainer

I really like that sprite tag. :)

Here's my newest one. :)

BestBuds! :) <3

Old 07-17-2010, 02:47 PM
NikoBelic999 Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to NikoBelic999

I would say that it is ok, but it is a bit too bright. Other than that, it is ok except that horrible dots around the picture.

This is my newest stock signature:

Old 07-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

Quote:

CnC?
I'd say work on blending the sprite in a little more; it seems a bit copypastefilter. Also the text doesn't suit the style of the banner- try some tiny pixel fonts.

The second is definately the best. With a bit more blending on the sprite it'll give a true underwatery feel. ♥

Old 07-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Anastasia-R Offline
Time Gear Thief

Send a message via MSN to Anastasia-R Send a message via Skype™ to Anastasia-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaygar rocks View Post
hey im new in this section lol

but this is my sig my first lol i have worked with photoshop

C&CC PLEASE
Please read the rules in the first post! =[
Old 07-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Gaygar rocks Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasia-R View Post

Please read the rules in the first post! =[

sorry i haven't seen it i will fix it
the waterfall thingy right?

i like it i ll give it a 8,5 ou of 10
is this good enough or should i give more message ( if so i cant because i dont know where to crit about that is why im here lol)

hey im new in this section lol

C&CC PLEASE

Last edited by Gaygar rocks; 07-19-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: sorryyyyyy
Old 07-19-2010, 09:26 PM
XaiakuX Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to XaiakuX Send a message via MSN to XaiakuX Send a message via Yahoo to XaiakuX Send a message via Skype™ to XaiakuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaygar rocks View Post

C&CC PLEASE
D'awww! it reminds me of my first photoshop banner. I was in awe of the "Text Editing" bits. I was like "Gimp don't have this. I like."

Anyways, is this your first photoshop, or first ever? If you used Gimp before then I trust you know how to tackle lighting, depth and text placement? Also knowing how to work a flow of the banner helps. There are plenty of tutorials and people here that can and more than likely will help you with that. You maybe new to photoshop, but when you start playing around in it, you'll learn that they aren't so different. x3

So now that I've commented on this, how about someone tackle mine. A decent 4 month hiatus from Graphics and I created this:

Have fun ~

.|.[Linkage].|.[-.Norse God of Chaos.-].|.Best in the World.|.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:52 AM
Wizard Offline

Send a message via AIM to Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by XaiakuX View Post
D'awww! it reminds me of my first photoshop banner. I was in awe of the "Text Editing" bits. I was like "Gimp don't have this. I like."

Anyways, is this your first photoshop, or first ever? If you used Gimp before then I trust you know how to tackle lighting, depth and text placement? Also knowing how to work a flow of the banner helps. There are plenty of tutorials and people here that can and more than likely will help you with that. You maybe new to photoshop, but when you start playing around in it, you'll learn that they aren't so different. x3

So now that I've commented on this, how about someone tackle mine. A decent 4 month hiatus from Graphics and I created this:

Have fun ~
i never thought i would see the day when there is yu-gi-oh on a pokemon site xD it realy stands out in a good way! anyway in my opinion i think that jadens face on the left is a little bit too bright oh and i son't know if it was meant to be there but there is a strange line going around it that messes up some colours such as there is green in the top left and i'm pretty sure jaden dosen't have green hair xD but near the bottom right it looks cool so perhaps getting rid of half of that line or making it blend into the actual colours? i'v never used any kind of creating software and until my tablet comes i wont for a while xD so i may be completely wrong lol! other than what i mentioned though it's very cool!

Leader of the clan T.U.N Lords of Darkness
White FC 2624 2821 5234
White2 FC 4900 6256 6560
Elite 4 of the TUN League
Win: 52. Draw: 1. Lose: 3

we are now on Xat! http://xat.com/TUNLordsOfDarkness
Old 07-20-2010, 05:10 AM
XaiakuX Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to XaiakuX Send a message via MSN to XaiakuX Send a message via Yahoo to XaiakuX Send a message via Skype™ to XaiakuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
i never thought i would see the day when there is yu-gi-oh on a pokemon site xD it realy stands out in a good way! anyway in my opinion i think that jadens face on the left is a little bit too bright oh and i son't know if it was meant to be there but there is a strange line going around it that messes up some colours such as there is green in the top left and i'm pretty sure jaden dosen't have green hair xD but near the bottom right it looks cool so perhaps getting rid of half of that line or making it blend into the actual colours? i'v never used any kind of creating software and until my tablet comes i wont for a while xD so i may be completely wrong lol! other than what i mentioned though it's very cool!

Everything you just talked about was the border of the banner. Also, the green haired boy is Sirus, not Jaden. Forgive me if I laugh at this bit. I'll edit it with a more acceptable border though, you have a point, it is kind of ridiculous.

.|.[Linkage].|.[-.Norse God of Chaos.-].|.Best in the World.|.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Gaygar rocks Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XaiakuX View Post

Have fun ~
it is my first banner/signature in photoshop i have worked with photoshop more to do screensavers and that stuff but not signatures and i have never used gimp i dont know how to use it even thus lol

and i like yours i like Yugioh GX i am now watching episode 29 lol the effect you used i like i think you are very good is this in GIMP or in PS???