Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat
Default Art for Your Fan Fic

SUPER old topic I read on Serebii.

So do any of you draw art for your fan fics, whether be it characters, maps, or random doodles? Have people ever drawn art for you? (Or made a graphic banner/wallpaper/etc.)

Other than the movie poster I'm working for My Guardian Angel, I draw A TON of doodles here and there. Most of them just stay as doodles in my binder. I'm hoping to make character profiles soon. Maybe even title pictures for the Books and Chapters of my MGA. :D

My best friend drew me this movie poster for MGA last year for my birthday (too big to scan. ^^;) What amazes me other than the fact that she nailed the three main characters is that she colored it with watercolors. Absolutely stunning. <3 I hope my own movie poster will do hers justice. ^^

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Art for Your Fan Fic

I made a map, though it serves little purpose. On a notebook though, I doodled 3 new Pokemon for my fan fic. Pretty cool.

Mousant - Tiny Mouse-Thief Pokemon (Type: Normal/Dark)
Description: This Pokemon not only tricks humans into giving it food and shiny objects, but also tricks its own kind. Angering Pokemon all over, they are great thieves and are used for surveillance by Pokemon Rescue and Exploration Teams. Watch out, or your nice apple pie will be gone in seconds!

Groundtroll - Mole Pokemon (Type: Ground/Rock with Fighting traits)
Description: Constantly digs and creates large webs of interconnecting tunnels. They are responsible for many fissures and other type of holes in the earth. Despite their destructive habits, they are kind hearted souls towards both Humans and Pokemon. They are also best friends with the Diglette and Dugtrio. The Pokemon carries around large digging claws which are not only used to dig, but crush rocks with only a swipe or two!

(Evolution form of Groundtroll) Dirthog - Large Gofer Pokemon (Type: Ground/Fighting)
Description: The evolved form of Groundtroll, through much rock crushing, this Pokemon has developed a fighting-type trait. Beware, as its large claws are attached to monstrous fists! But despite its physical power, it is still as kind as Groundtroll.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Yeah, I draw art for my stories all the time! This is an old (so not very good XD) "movie poster" for The Path of Destiny:

Some people have drawn art for TPoD; in fact, the picture in my avatar/signature was drawn for me by someone who reads the story.

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Old 06-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
Yeah, I draw art for my stories all the time! This is an old (so not very good XD) "movie poster" for The Path of Destiny:
Some people have drawn art for TPoD; in fact, the picture in my avatar/signature was drawn for me by someone who reads the story.
What program do you use?

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 06-23-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Scytherwolf Offline

Photoshop, for that picture. (Also, you probably shouldn't quote the entire picture. Just quote the words instead. XD)

-My Links-
Old 06-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Not that the fic ever got past Chapter 3 (or that anyone read it), but...

Spoiler:

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 06-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune

Scy, the only reason I draw art for my story was because you did, and I thought that was awesome! xDDD I also, for some reason, liked how for all the old ones you'd say "this is an old picture", because I wanted to have old art to go with my stories too, because then it's like you thought way ahead and drew pictures for future chapters. xDDD I dunno. Something like that! But seriously--I only started because you had pictures. xDD

Yeah, I draw pictures. xDDD Obviously!

And Lusankya, that's a really awesome picture! 8D But I don't believe you're right about nobody reviewing it. Oh, what's that? *counts* One, two, three...four... Plus, Scy was a consistent reviewer. By saying nobody reviewed it, you're basically calling all your readers "nobody"s.

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Pe2k's spiritual successor! :D I'm Suicune's Fire there.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

I haven't done too much fan art for Trial of Juno. In fact, I've probably done more for other people's fics than my own.

When I read Kumori Gem's Team Stormriders, I was incredibly impressed with how much depth, life, and creativity she put into that story, so I made this wallpaper:

Spoiler:

And yeah, as you can tell, I'm like dying of thirst for the next chapter. If you want a good read, read THAT. I was totally blown away by how much awesome character development, storyline depth, and pure originality she put into there.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Scytherwolf Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceful_Suicune View Post
Scy, the only reason I draw art for my story was because you did, and I thought that was awesome! xDDD I also, for some reason, liked how for all the old ones you'd say "this is an old picture", because I wanted to have old art to go with my stories too, because then it's like you thought way ahead and drew pictures for future chapters. xDDD I dunno. Something like that! But seriously--I only started because you had pictures. xDD

And Lusankya, that's a really awesome picture! 8D But I don't believe you're right about nobody reviewing it. Oh, what's that? *counts* One, two, three...four... Plus, Scy was a consistent reviewer. By saying nobody reviewed it, you're basically calling all your readers "nobody"s.

~GS.
Really? =D That's cool to know I inspired you that much! Haha, I know what you mean! I get really nostalgic when I look at old art I drew for my stories!

-My Links-
Old 06-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Giratina Offline

Aside from the sections below most of the chapters that contain additional artwork - mostly simplistic character profiles - I do spout out a lot of artwork for my stories and characters. Some of it is school doodles (which I am right now working on compiling into one big piece), but anything that other people can look at without gouging their eyes out can be found on my deviantArt account, Rentoraa-The-Luxray. I also designed a movie poster for Beasts Like Us recently, but it's too big to scan. :C Big pieces like movie posters... well, I haven't done any of those past the aforementioned BLU one.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 06-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceful_Suicune View Post

~GS.
Oh >.< Okay, so maybe I just lack uh... that thing that makes people continue with stuff that they've started. >.> Maybe I'll keep writing for it, since I have nothing better to write about.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."

Last edited by Lusankya; 06-22-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post

Spoiler:

Now that is extremely well done. The way you drew your characters is superb without a doubt, nice job.

And yeah, I use Photoshop too, but I draw the characters themselves in Flash. I just like Flash's drawing tools a bit more (not to mention the graphics are vectorized instead of rasterized) though Photoshop is great for the background, blending options, and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Not that the fic ever got past Chapter 3 (or that anyone read it), but...

Spoiler:
The Pokemon characters themselves are really drawn well, but it just seems really, REALLY dark. The shading on the Alakazam and Gallade is awesome though.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

I think my computer screen is just uber-bright or something, because everyone complains about my stuff being too dark.

Art Gallery
Old 06-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Giratina Offline

Also, another tip: since the picture is obviously intended to be dark, make light the exception and not the rule. For example, instead of giving the characters light palettes and adding shadow around the edges, give them dark palettes and put highlights where they belong. If you don't, it makes the characters look like they're getting light from nowhere instead of where they should be (i.e., the fire) and that just looks tacky.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 06-23-2010, 02:18 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Now that is extremely well done. The way you drew your characters is superb without a doubt, nice job.

And yeah, I use Photoshop too, but I draw the characters themselves in Flash. I just like Flash's drawing tools a bit more (not to mention the graphics are vectorized instead of rasterized) though Photoshop is great for the background, blending options, and so on.
Thanks!

I haven't tried using Flash to draw characters (with the exception of the animations I make) but if I can figure out how to do a half Flash/half Photoshop picture, it will make drawing things like scythers a lot easier!

-My Links-