Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 04-27-2010, 05:01 AM
Starkipraggy's Avatar
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gundam Porygon ZZ
Posts: 3,151
Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: Presidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
Obama. Is. Not. Abolishing. Guns. Jeebus, why is everyone so convinced of that. /back on topic
I kinda meant I hope that in future he can enact some change to the gun laws that help in removing them in future. Assuming he has time to deal with that.
__________________


Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Presidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypocrisy is Fun View Post
Considering the US has been nothing but a big jerk to all smaller countries since WW2, I think Obama is doing a great job. For the first time in over 50 years, the world is somewhat at ease when they think about the US.

I mean seriously, we aren't exactly the good guys. We're the only country to ever attack with nuclear weapons and we've done nothing but intervene in other nation's business for no real reason other than to force our democracy upon them.

Obama has atleast tried to show the world that the US isn't insane. Last week he signed that document stating that we wouldn't use nuclear weapons on nations that don't have any nukes. That's a pretty big deal considering we haven't said anything like that before. Ever.

I'm quite happy that he's atleast trying to seek peace before anything else.



You really shouldn't say stuff like that without anything to back it up. Just saying.
1) What the hell are you talking about? Big jerk? Do you realize that South Korea would have never existed and all the people down there would be living under that creep Kim if it wasn't for the United States. And let me tell you SK is not a big country. We have been rebuilding Europe since WWI! You wanna know where all the people's tax dollars went during the 50s, the rebuilding of Europe! God, I hope Europe is okay, since Germany is pretty much the only country with a lot of Euro...

2) America does intervene with other countries affairs, and I do agree with that. But, Obama would be the responsible for it too if he had the chance. He thinks that everyone loves him. I mean, do you wanna know what he gave Queen Elizabeth as a present. A feakin' ipod NANNO! And that is not it, no this is the good part, he gave her the speech that he just said on it! Whew, awesome prez isn't he?

3) Do you want to know why we never said anything like that, EVER? Because after the Cold War, we pretty much gave up on Nuclear War. The assured destruction that would happen scared everyone. And after the release of footage of Hiroshima, nobody could believe what happened...

4) Barack Obama is not seeking peace. If he was he wouldn't be moving troops from Iraq, to Afghanistan.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Presidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
I kinda meant I hope that in future he can enact some change to the gun laws that help in removing them in future. Assuming he has time to deal with that.


Are you saying that you want guns to be removed from citizens hands? Do you know what a Communist government does first? Remove weapons from the citizens. Why? So the government can't get a rebellion from the people. That isn't good, because then they can pretty much do whatever they want. The citizens will never allow guns to be taken away...





-The senate works for the people, not the other way around!-
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-29-2010, 03:30 PM
MaskedJackal's Avatar
MaskedJackal Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,625
Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal
Default Re: Presidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
I kinda meant I hope that in future he can enact some change to the gun laws that help in removing them in future. Assuming he has time to deal with that.
Yeah if that happens I'm leaving the country.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Lord Fedora's Avatar
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Y'all stay off my property!
Posts: 8,469
Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: Presidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
-The senate works for the people, not the other way around!-
For once we agree on something. Not the rest of that post. Obama thinks the rest of the world loves him because they bloody do. And what exactly is the problem with giving someone an iPod as a present? This isn't the 1700s, a sword crafted of the finest steel isn't necessary. Yeah, she's the Queen of England, but I'm fairly certain she probably likes music too.
__________________
URPG/ASB Stats
98% of teens won't stand up for God. Repost this if you think that statistic is the most laughable thing ever.
My new AIM username is GrayFedora12. Do not respond or click on links from any IMs from LordKhajmer.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Starkipraggy's Avatar
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gundam Porygon ZZ
Posts: 3,151
Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: Presidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
For once we agree on something. Not the rest of that post. Obama thinks the rest of the world loves him because they bloody do. And what exactly is the problem with giving someone an iPod as a present? This isn't the 1700s, a sword crafted of the finest steel isn't necessary. Yeah, she's the Queen of England, but I'm fairly certain she probably likes music too.
1. Creative is better than Apple >:D
2. He better have included songs or he'll look cheap. :x

Also, almost all the developed countries in the world enjoy a high level of democracy and have a policy preventing normal citizens from taking arms. Therefore denying arms to citizens is not a communist thing... In fact I dare say it's more of "common-sense".
__________________


Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-01-2010, 01:50 AM
Shen's Avatar
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Stalking a Deoxys~
Posts: 2,702
Send a message via AIM to Shen Send a message via MSN to Shen Send a message via Yahoo to Shen Send a message via Skype™ to Shen
Default Re: Presidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
I kinda meant I hope that in future he can enact some change to the gun laws that help in removing them in future.
Slight problem with that.

One of the reasons that we have the Right to Bear Arms is because of personal safety. People will try to harm other people, and more than likely, having a gun for protection purposes will save your life in these situations. And bloodshed can be avoided entirely if you have a gun, and the bad guy does not; guns scare the living sh*t out of people they are pointed at, and can make a lot of people just stop, or run away and stop being a danger at that current moment. Now, it's not guaranteed this scenario will happen, but it is a very distinct possibility.

Now, take away the right to bear arms (a right we've had since the birth of our nation). We don't have guns for protection. Yes, Timmy won't find the gun in your dresser drawer and accidentally shoot Billy. And yet, there are criminals in this country who will have guns regardless of the law. And while they have guns and we do not, we are put at a very horrible disadvantage. Criminals would have the grounds to do a lot more when they have guns and no other citizen does. And don't just say, "oh the cops will still have guns, so yur safe lulz." The cops can't be everywhere at once, hence the need for such protection.

So there are some good points about removing the Right to Bear Arms, but in the end, it does a heck of a lot more bad than good.

Also I can't remember exactly where, but, if I remember correctly, there is a town in Southern Florida where all citizens are required to get a gun permit and buy a gun when they reach 21 years old. And the crime rate there is incredibly low. How's that for gun safety, eh?

The whole deal with weapons is gun safety, as well as people who are either smart enough to abide by these laws, stupid enough to go against them (more or less criminals), or, worse yet, people who are too stupid and mess around with guns, ultimately shooting themselves or someone else in the process.I say gun control is much better than denial of even having a gun in the first place.
__________________
<3 Paired with Dog of Hellsing, mah awesome vampire lady <3
VPPURPG
Thanks to Neo Emolga for the banner and Knightblazer for the avatar ^^.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-01-2010, 02:18 AM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Presidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shen View Post
Now, take away the right to bear arms (a right we've had since the birth of our nation). We don't have guns for protection. Yes, Timmy won't find the gun in your dresser drawer and accidentally shoot Billy. And yet, there are criminals in this country who will have guns regardless of the law. And while they have guns and we do not, we are put at a very horrible disadvantage. Criminals would have the grounds to do a lot more when they have guns and no other citizen does. .
Crap argument. Under that kind of logic, we should just make all drugs legal since some people are going to use them anyways. We should make murder legal since some people are going to kill anyways. If your argument for not having a law is that some people will break it anyways, then you might as well not have any laws, period.
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 05-01-2010, 02:28 AM
Starkipraggy's Avatar
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gundam Porygon ZZ
Posts: 3,151
Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: Presidents

But if everyone has guns, the chances that a criminal doesn't have one drops to near zero. Knowing that everyone has a gun, even a petty thief is going to have to arm himself with one if he wants any sort of chance of getting away if he's discovered. So a simple robbery on a street might escalate into a shootout.

If you ban guns, about only 5% who are really hardcore have guns, and I doubt these people are interested in stealing the wallet of some guy on the street. If you don't, everyone and their cousin has a gun, and while that reduces the number of crimes happening in public, crimes will continue to happen in more secluded areas like back alleys and stuff where the perpetuator and the victim are alone. A thief doesn't even have to grab you. Just point a gun at you from the front, get you to throw the wallet at him, then he can shoot you and run. It's not like you have your gun in your pocket, and if you display it in a holster on your hip chances are the guy knows how to deal with people that have guns.

I'd prefer extremely strict gun control where about 1% of the populace gets a gun, if I were to allow citizens to carry arms at all.

@Lus: He does have a point since carrying a gun gives you a range advantage to take people on. A criminal doesn't have to be close to you to hold you up at gunpoint, unlike other non-gun methods such as knife-point or whatever, where you'd still have more of a fighting chance if you know how to hit the guy. Shen's point is not that they should legalise it because criminals are going to get it anyway. His point is that they should legalise it so they can protect themselves from criminals with guns that don't have to sense to not go out on the street and randomly shoot people. This kind of stuff gets stopped by like 10 passers-by pulling a gun on the dude and telling him to stop. But this opens an avenue for every criminal to have guns, so it becomes a very complex thing. Besides, if some guy has drugs and is using them, it's not as dangerous as him carrying a gun. What is he going to do? Throw drugs at you?

Singapore has one of the lowest crime rates in the world... and only the police and a few security guards carry guns. I can't even remember when the last time someone tried to rob a bank with a gun. Maybe 1970s?
__________________


Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader

Last edited by Starkipraggy; 05-01-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 05-01-2010, 03:08 AM
Lord Fedora's Avatar
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Y'all stay off my property!
Posts: 8,469
Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: Presidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Crap argument. Under that kind of logic, we should just make all drugs legal since some people are going to use them anyways. We should make murder legal since some people are going to kill anyways. If your argument for not having a law is that some people will break it anyways, then you might as well not have any laws, period.
The difference is guns are actually able to do people good. And for the record there are some drugs that I believe should be legalized because people are going to do them anyway simply because they don't actually hurt much, particularly compared to some of the other crap we have legal in this country.
__________________
URPG/ASB Stats
98% of teens won't stand up for God. Repost this if you think that statistic is the most laughable thing ever.
My new AIM username is GrayFedora12. Do not respond or click on links from any IMs from LordKhajmer.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 05-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Presidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Crap argument. Under that kind of logic, we should just make all drugs legal since some people are going to use them anyways. We should make murder legal since some people are going to kill anyways. If your argument for not having a law is that some people will break it anyways, then you might as well not have any laws, period.

Really, is that how you start you argument? Insulting the other persons idea? Anyway, the reason drugs and murder are illegal is because they do more harm than good. Drugs (even weed) cause cancer and murder (no duh?). The fact is guns to way more harm than good. The fact is Obama is trying to strengthen the Government's control over the people. I mean, against the main publics will, the court passed the Obama Care (Socialist Healthcare) bill. What the hell? As I said before, and will say it again, THE FREAKIN' GOVERNMENT WORKS FOR THE PEOPLE! And as far as guns go, they will not be illegal.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 05-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Starkipraggy's Avatar
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gundam Porygon ZZ
Posts: 3,151
Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: Presidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
Really, is that how you start you argument? Insulting the other persons idea? Anyway, the reason drugs and murder are illegal is because they do more harm than good. Drugs (even weed) cause cancer and murder (no duh?). The fact is guns to way more harm than good. The fact is Obama is trying to strengthen the Government's control over the people. I mean, against the main publics will, the court passed the Obama Care (Socialist Healthcare) bill. What the hell? As I said before, and will say it again, THE FREAKIN' GOVERNMENT WORKS FOR THE PEOPLE! And as far as guns go, they will not be illegal.
Weed generally makes you woozy and makes you sit down, also, it's actually the least cancer-causing drug. So murder and cancer are not really caused by weed.

Every other developed country has the same type of healthcare that Obama is trying to push through and their people are generally healthier than the ones in America. What does this say about the "Socialist Healthcare" system?

Yes, the government works for the people, which is why it will do what is in the people's best interests, even if the people are acting like spoilt, ignorant brats.

I'm not trying to say the government is always good, but watching the people who need a policy the most trying to discredit it and vote it out is both funny and painful to watch.
__________________


Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com