Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General » Trainer's Court

Trainer's Court The Trainer's Court! Where the URPG hold it's trials.

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Black Hawk Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Default The National Park

My fellow URPG’er of PE2K,

My formality may disturb you but I believe it is necessary in giving this message.

The National Park is broken.

WHAT? THE NATIONAL PARK!?! THERE’S NO WAY IT’S BROKEN!! HOW ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO GET POKEMON EXTREMELY EASILY WITH ABSOLUTELY NO SKILL?

My friends, that is exactly the point. I know this doesn’t apply to all of you as I personally know and know of a considerably large amount of EXTREMELY skilled RPers. However, this is not always the case. I have combed through logs and rules etc. and it seems like the quality of the RP itself is encouraged. However in many individual RPs I combed through, the RPers encountered and captured very rare Pokémon by normal story standards with sub par RP posts that I would go to the extent of calling unprofessional.

Oops, that word, “unprofessional…” it’s too formal. Back to myself I guess. These posts are ****. They are horrible and should not receive merit, so why are people acquiring Pokémon so easily?

I know the Park is “precious” and is new but it already needs to be reworked. It is too easily abused and corrupted. A Ranger who is monitoring the RP of a friend could easily favor his pal and skew his rolls. Who cares about that? I could just say that someone witnessed them and give my buddy his mon. I have personal suspicions of a Ranger allowing an RPer to catch a Pokémon and then, four minutes after officializing the capture, he traded for it for pennies on the dollar relative to the captured Pokémon’s value.

I’m not mentioning names but I’m sure the people I’m referring to will recognize this.

After combing through the claim thread and looking at active RPs, in the last month, a Snorlax, a Tangrowth and Tangela, two Absol, a Spiritomb, a Scyther, a Sneasel, a Porygon, two Rotom, THREE PORYGON-Z @_@, a Riolu, a Miltank, a Happiny, and a Munchlax were obtained.

Now, I know such an influx of these hard to obtain Pokémon would never occur unless all the great writers conspired to write amazing stories and Jess released a new chapter of MotM simultaneously.

I have written for a Rotom. It took me three months and after endless proofreading. I still barely caught it. I wrote for a Scyther, it took me two months. This may just be me and my lack of writing skill, but I don’t think it’s fair that all these rare things are coming in and- who am I kidding. THREE PORYGON-Z? What are the odds of that?

All of these Pokémon are ruining any prestige that I may have (foolishly) believed was in the URPG. If you wanted good, rare Pokémon, you were either a ref and paid for story deals or talented enough to write good story. I know the Park may have been brought about for those who did not have enough skill to write for high level mons, but its just too easy.

So yes, I’m jealous. Yes, I’m mad. Yes, I realize I’ll be flamed for this and a great majority of people already don’t like me. But in my opinion (doesn’t count for much), the Park needs to have a reworking of rules or possibly the odds of encountering a rare Pokémon should be greatly lowered.

I don't wanna be that guy, but I feel it's necessary. I've shared around my ideas and a lot of people agree. I want to know what the forum thinks.

tl;dr: Why should I spend time and hard work on writing for one rare Pokémon when I can throw at a few, simple, poorly written sentences for each post and get three incredibly rare Pokémon with no effort at the Park?

PiEaNdChIpS678 (10:48:49 PM): I found one
Mikey94028 (10:49:14 PM): is that
Mikey94028 (10:49:17 PM): who I think it is
husnainisme (10:49:25 PM): wailord
Mikey94028 (10:49:29 PM): o
Mikey94028 (10:49:34 PM): I thought it was dead
Old 05-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Scourge of Amaranth Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scourge of Amaranth
Default Re: The National Park

I've always considered mentioning that it might be a good idea to roll random Pokémon within and below a certain tier, based upon the writer's effort and writing quality. But of course, everyone wants easy stuff, so I never bothered.

EmBreon is the maple syrup to my slightly undercooked crepe
{URPG Stats}--{ASB Stats}--{Fanfiction}
khajmer = biffle
yoface = broham

thegalleonman: (8:37:28 PM) How sad.
thegalleonman: (8:37:37 PM) I'm amused.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

I did not realize this, but now that you have mentioned it, I am angry too. How dare they deflate the value of my Porygon?! I spent like a week writing for that. Same with Aerodactyl.

Story deals have no value if Park Mon can be caught this easily. :<
Old 05-13-2010, 01:55 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

Before this gets too out of hand.

We want to assure everyone that the issue has been brought among the leaders and we are currently in discussion on what to do to change the Park. We would appreciate any solutions or suggestions you might have.

Currently we're considering a character minimum, similar to what is in place with URPG Stories.
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:00 AM
Flammenwerfer Offline

Send a message via AIM to Flammenwerfer Send a message via MSN to Flammenwerfer Send a message via Skype™ to Flammenwerfer

Well, let's be honest here. The National Park was created for the people who couldn't write worth crap and didn't want to spend the time trying to.

However, the fact that there were 3 Porygon Z's is kinda strange. But, it's just the luck of the draw, I guess. But I honestly don't think such evolved Pokemon should have been included in the RP in the first place.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:03 AM
Marth Offline

Send a message via AIM to Marth Send a message via Yahoo to Marth

Yes, the park is easier than stories, but take in mind that the park requires investment of money as well. However, what the stories might consider extremely rare, in the park, it is not so.
Regarding the issue of rangers having "corruption" in their roleplays in order to get a certain Pokémon, all captures are witnessed by an official. Certainly, it would be hard to manipulate the results. Since rangers are not supposed to reveal the Pokémon a trainer will encounter, to have a "park deal" beforehand with the ranger is hard.
But the risk is still potential, so I'd like to propose a six-month period in which a ranger may not be the owner of a Pokémon captured in a run he rangered.
The porygon-z scenario was a situation of extreme luck and a bit of smart-money spending. After I obtained them, however, we agreed that electric repellents are no longer allowed on the power-plant, and thus the scenario is even more difficult to obtain. Rest assured.

EDIT: Out of the following Pokémon, the red ones are the most rare pokémon
a Snorlax, a Tangrowth and Tangela, two Absol, a Spiritomb, a Scyther, a Sneasel, a Porygon, two Rotom, THREE PORYGON-Z @_@, a Riolu, a Miltank, a Happiny, and a Munchlax were obtained.

My point is that we have a discrepancy on what is "rare" and what is not. Just because our criteria differ from stories, it doesn't mean you're the gold standard to which we must compare. However, I believe a re-consideration of our criteria is in order, as I don't see how golem should be special ^^
BlueJelloJelly (12:00:35): What, you going to kill me with your Wynaut?
ClockKnight (12:06:07): bidoof use take down on wynaut
ClockKnight (12:06:50): wynaut use counter!
ClockKnight (12:06:58): ko
StunkyLupus (12:07:04): OWNEDDDDDDD

Last edited by Marth; 05-13-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:07 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

I don't think we should have a character requirement in the Park (hell, I barely believe we should have a character requirement in the Story section), and instead I think we should more heavily enforce quality requirements. Of course, quality is relative, but there should be some general standard like there is in the story section (sorry for comparing Marth, it's just the only thing I have) and, if that standard isn't met, then Encounters should be done accordingly. I also think that rather than do all of the Encounters at once, thus limiting Rangers to those 15 Pokemon, they should be done as needed (i.e. when the last mon Encountered is gone). Two additional Rangers should be in agreement as to the Encounter level required for, not like we're hard to find. I honestly think that if we enforced the RPing quality requirement (and I do think grammar should be included in that requirement) then the Park wouldn't be so cheap anymore.

Also, I'd like to point out that if we really try us good writers can pump out a story for a really good mon overnight. I mean hell, most of my good mons were literally written in one night. Pending the Grader, we'll have it in a week. On the other hand, with the Park it's far more variable as half of it is done by someone else and, if you're not up to snuff on your RPing, it'll take you that much longer. In the time it took me to get my Dratini, I could have written it, gotten it Graded, evolved it to Dragonite without using it repetitively against the same opponent in 1v1s or 2v2s and crushed my enemies with it. And bear in mind, I didn't even get it right after that because I was still in the Park hunting more valuable mons. It may not require as much skill to get a mon, but it sure as hell takes a lot longer.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Marth Offline

Send a message via AIM to Marth Send a message via Yahoo to Marth

On that account, may I mention that Medz took over 3 months to finish his RP with me? It depends a lot on the ranger and the trainer, but by that time he could've written for far better Pokémon than those he captured.
BlueJelloJelly (12:00:35): What, you going to kill me with your Wynaut?
ClockKnight (12:06:07): bidoof use take down on wynaut
ClockKnight (12:06:50): wynaut use counter!
ClockKnight (12:06:58): ko
StunkyLupus (12:07:04): OWNEDDDDDDD
Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Ataro Offline
RUSTYREFBOT

Send a message via AIM to Ataro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marth View Post
Yes, the park is easier than stories, but take in mind that the park requires investment of money as well.
In agreement that the Park is broken. In fact, I get disgusted when I see posts like two sentences getting passed through easily, and even more disgusted when the Ranger himself is making two sentences posts and all of a sudden, a capture is completed.

And Marth, $3500 isn't really an investment.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Near Offline

Send a message via AIM to Near Send a message via MSN to Near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataro View Post
In agreement that the Park is broken. In fact, I get disgusted when I see posts like two sentences getting passed through easily, and even more disgusted when the Ranger himself is making two sentences posts and all of a sudden, a capture is completed.

And Marth, $3500 isn't really an investment.
I invested like 60k because I didn't know what to buy. :X

Click "Near" for my Stats, and "Blue" for BJ's Stats.

I WILL NOT BE ACTIVE FROM JUNE 24TH TILL JULY 2ND.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Stinky Offline
Garbage Can

Send a message via AIM to Stinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataro View Post
Honestly, this is how I feel. I think the Park needs a lot of work before it isn't so broken anymore. That trainer who caught Snorlax: Want to know how many posts he did it in? 2. Want to know how many characters were used overall? 2102. That is about 5% of the characters that one would need to capture a Snorlax in a story. And take a guess at how good the posts were. If you guessed sub-par, you're correct.

Something needs to be implemented- maybe the character count "suggestion" per post that was around at the beginning of the Park which went magically unused (or ignored, by both trainers and rangers. And also, sometimes I feel that the rangers aren't doing enough themselves- ideally the ranger's post should give enough description so that the ranger can RP to the best of their ability. But when all rangers are saying is "Charizard used Flamethrower and Caterpie fell down," how are the people going to do anything? I mean yeah I'm not asking for posts the quality of a story from Kat or Bryce, but honestly, the rangers need to step up, and the Park needs to be revamped.

Last edited by Stinky; 05-13-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marth View Post
The porygon-z scenario was a situation of extreme luck and a bit of smart-money spending. After I obtained them, however, we agreed that electric repellents are no longer allowed on the power-plant, and thus the scenario is even more difficult to obtain. Rest assured.
Just to say, you must have realised when you bought your Electric-type repellent for the Power Plant that it was pretty broken, repelling all of the Electric-type Pokemon and leaving the handful of Poison-types, Mawile, and then the Porygon family. Having realised that it was broken after purchasing the Electric-type repellant, you still went through with using it in the Power Plant and then agreed with the ban after you'd grossly benefitted. Sorry, but that's not behaviour that I'd expect from an Elite Ranger or an Official. Just saying.

And I agree with the fact that the Park needs fixing. One qualm I have is the quality of the Rangers' posts in general. There are some rangers that are great, but then there are some that I feel don't make a lot of effort with their posts. To pass the Ranger test, a potential Ranger must attain a certain standard. I am of the opinion that Rangers should maintain a standard similar to what allowed them to pass the test.
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

iamnotyou11 (00:41:35): scrotom?

ASB|URPG

Old 05-13-2010, 07:35 PM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hawk View Post
A Ranger who is monitoring the RP of a friend could easily favor his pal and skew his rolls. Who cares about that? I could just say that someone witnessed them and give my buddy his mon.
Refs could skew the rolls in forum battles to help his friend - do we ban forum battles?

Tbh, I don't use the park, so I don't know quite how broken it really is (but judging from people's reactions to this, it seems pretty broken). Although, I have seen a ranger before and questioned why they were a ranger; their description wasn't that good, and they were making basic grammar mistakes such as no capital letters, confusion of 'there', 'their' and 'they're', confusion of 'your' and 'you're', etc...
Old 05-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Black Hawk Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post
Refs could skew the rolls in forum battles to help his friend - do we ban forum battles?

Tbh, I don't use the park, so I don't know quite how broken it really is (but judging from people's reactions to this, it seems pretty broken). Although, I have seen a ranger before and questioned why they were a ranger; their description wasn't that good, and they were making basic grammar mistakes such as no capital letters, confusion of 'there', 'their' and 'they're', confusion of 'your' and 'you're', etc...
But Rangers don't even post their rolls. I know quite a few forum refs do and I did.

PiEaNdChIpS678 (10:48:49 PM): I found one
Mikey94028 (10:49:14 PM): is that
Mikey94028 (10:49:17 PM): who I think it is
husnainisme (10:49:25 PM): wailord
Mikey94028 (10:49:29 PM): o
Mikey94028 (10:49:34 PM): I thought it was dead
Old 05-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Masami Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Masami Send a message via MSN to Masami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsuzo-kun View Post
Just to say, you must have realised when you bought your Electric-type repellent for the Power Plant that it was pretty broken, repelling all of the Electric-type Pokemon and leaving the handful of Poison-types, Mawile, and then the Porygon family. Having realised that it was broken after purchasing the Electric-type repellant, you still went through with using it in the Power Plant and then agreed with the ban after you'd grossly benefitted. Sorry, but that's not behaviour that I'd expect from an Elite Ranger or an Official. Just saying.

And I agree with the fact that the Park needs fixing. One qualm I have is the quality of the Rangers' posts in general. There are some rangers that are great, but then there are some that I feel don't make a lot of effort with their posts. To pass the Ranger test, a potential Ranger must attain a certain standard. I am of the opinion that Rangers should maintain a standard similar to what allowed them to pass the test.
Marth does alot of things for his own gain, but that's unimportant. His official/elite status shouldn't really come into general things, he, in all fairness, is just a normal person.

I think the park is broken because it's all based on luck, some people deserve better mons than others.

Hence I agree with whoever said roll for tiers based on quality of posts. However, don't make it extreme like story-writting is, because that's just unfair on people, like myself, who just can't write particularly well.
Closed Thread