Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Powerhouse of World War II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masami View Post
If you don't think we created those bombs, then you're poorly educated on the subject.

We will never agree, I hate America as a nation, You don't particullarly (you don't even know how to spell particularly?) like Britain, sorted.
You sir are very much are poorly educated. It is known who split that atom first. Scientists split it in America (Los Alamos).

The nuclear bomb was worked on in Oak Ridge Tennessee and near Los Alamos. four major components were at play here. Uranium-235, Scientists who worked on it: Robert Oppenheimer, David Bohm, Leo Szilard, Eugene Wigner, Otto Frisch, Rudolf Peierls, Felix Bloch, Niels Bohr, Emilio Segre, James Franck, Enrico Fermi, Klaus Fuchs and Edward Teller, and Albert Einstein. Thus, the United States made the Atom Bomb.

YOU, are one heck of an arrogant British person...

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 04-28-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanTreeFrog View Post
Damn, I'm smart but science makes me look like a toddler, so I'll live it to the people who are way smarter than me on that subject.

Mow, to something I am familiar with. In my spare time I study American history, specifically American war history, and by extent the second World War.

This creates a dilemma for me, but here is how I would rank the nations:

Armor: (1) Germans ~ They had the best armor out the outbreak of the war and remained dominate for much of the war, until the Russians made their powerhouse.

(2) Russia ~ They had the first tank that was a match for German armor.

(3) America ~ Armor was decent, but in my opinion not as good as the Russian and German tanks.

Airforce: (1) America ~ This is because of the combined efforts in the Pacific and European theaters, plus we had decent planes, like the superfortress.

(2) German ~ Had air priority for a nice portion of the war and their fighter plane plus the Stuka made a fierce-some combo.

(3) British ~ Decent fighters but nowhere near the skill of the German and the later American pilots.

Army: (1) German ~ Best trained army on the planet, best materials and everything else needed.

(2) America ~ Well equipped with decent leadership.

(3) Japan ~ Banzai! A nation of superb fighters, men unmatched for their bravery and courage under fire.

Leadership ~ (1) German ~ Best leadership around, tank and air commanders were brilliant, they were only hindered by the stupidity of Hitler.

(2) America ~ Good, strong leaders, nobody is comparable to the German, but we had a few good men in charge.

(3) British ~ Only reason they're up here is because everybody sucked.

Overall: (1) German, (2) America, (3) British

The Russians ranked low because of poor leadership and horrible materials of war, they only reason the became a superpower was because America and Britain let them. Also, the only reason they beat the Germans was due to the harsh winter and too many soldiers for the Germans to kill.

Japan did well, until they attacked America. It was a high risk, high reward gamble and they lost.

France ~ lol

My opinions :P

1) Germany had air superiority over Europe before the U.S joined the war. But, the British Spitfire made a tough match for the German air force.

2) Germans had poor leadership. Hitler was a foolish megalomaniac, the Kommanders/Generals were too arrogant, and the Tank Kommanders were very arrogant. It seems to run in the Nazi family.

3) The Japanese warriors were not honorable. They were stupid. They killed themselves if they were too close to defeat. That isn't honorable, it is stupid. The Allies won because they had the will to survive. And plus, Japan failed when they joined the Axis. They should have never partnered with the Nazi occupied Germany. You want to know why Hitler invaded Russia? Not only to get oil, but to invade Japan! You will find that Hitler didn't want to occupy Russia because of the way he treated the Russians. Hitler had Americans, British, and Canadian troops in POW camps where as the Russians, Jews, and Christians were in Concentration Camps...
Old 04-28-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
European contributions to the development of the atom bomb were almost purely theoretical, made by scientists. Designing, making, and testing the bomb were all primarily American efforts.

I don't consider Germany a powerhouse. During the first half of the war it was successful it, its opponents were jokes. Poland was using calvary against tanks. France... well, we all know that the French didn't even put up a fight. Britain's army was ragged for most of the war, having done nothing but lose until the Americans joined, even against an inferior Japanese army in 1941 and against a second-rate German army in Libya. There are cases in the second half of the war were American commanders were astonished to see British commanders stopping a pursuit literally just to brew tea. A lot of British WWI veterans distrusted all offensive action, further hampering the British army. German panzers, despite their reputation, actually sucked. In the Russian offensive, German tanks couldn't penetrate the Russian T-34's armor from 100 yards; the only reason the German offensive was initially successful was because the Russians were just really, really, really bad at tactics. The Luftwaffe was inferior to the British and American air forces, and the Kriegsmarine was practically nonexistent even as early as the Battle of Britain. Germany's army was never even fully mechanized; they were still using horses by the time the war ended.

If you're looking for a powerhouse of WWII, you got two options: The USSR or the US.

I have no idea where you are getting this from. The Panzer while very powerful was NOT Germany's most powerful tank. The German Tiger tank could take down a T-34 from 100yds plus. The Panzer was efficient enough to kick the American's a**es. While the Sherman was formidable against infantry it was horrible compared to the European superpowers. If you are going to say the Germans were never fully mechanized, you may as well say none of the other nations were either. Americans, British, Italian, Russian, Japanese, and the Germans all used horses during the war as well as Poland and France. You could say that the Germans were actually the most technologically advanced power during the first half of the war...
Old 04-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
3) The Japanese warriors were not honorable. They were stupid. They killed themselves if they were too close to defeat. That isn't honorable, it is stupid. The Allies won because they had the will to survive. And plus, Japan failed when they joined the Axis. They should have never partnered with the Nazi occupied Germany. You want to know why Hitler invaded Russia? Not only to get oil, but to invade Japan! You will find that Hitler didn't want to occupy Russia because of the way he treated the Russians. Hitler had Americans, British, and Canadian troops in POW camps where as the Russians, Jews, and Christians were in Concentration Camps...
Culturally speaking it's honourable since Japanese culture up till then was that if you screw up, you kill yourself like a man. Kind of like a captain going down with his ship. Also, kamikaze bombers were quite dangerous and also actually practical. If your plane gets shot down, why not crash it into your enemies? So much more efficient than letting it explode aimlessly on the ground.

And I thought Stalin didn't attack USA during the Cold War mostly due to Mutually Assured Destruction. It's not only because he couldn't win, but also because even if he won there would be nearly nothing left to have dominion over.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 04-28-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
Culturally speaking it's honourable since Japanese culture up till then was that if you screw up, you kill yourself like a man. Kind of like a captain going down with his ship. Also, kamikaze bombers were quite dangerous and also actually practical. If your plane gets shot down, why not crash it into your enemies? So much more efficient than letting it explode aimlessly on the ground.

And I thought Stalin didn't attack USA during the Cold War mostly due to Mutually Assured Destruction. It's not only because he couldn't win, but also because even if he won there would be nearly nothing left to have dominion over.

Well, if you follow WW2 closely, the Japanese started to do most of there "honorable" kamikaze crashes at the end of the war because they were desperate. And, they had pilots specially trained to "dive and die" as I call it.

Also, the reason Stalin never attacked America during the Cold War is that Stalin died in 1953.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Masami Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Masami Send a message via MSN to Masami

You sir, are an idiotic wananbe patriot.

Read the rules, nice triple post.

And the atom was first split at cambridge, so no.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masami View Post
You sir, are an idiotic wananbe patriot.

Read the rules, nice triple post.

And the atom was first split at cambridge, so no.

1) I really didn't find a definitive answer on the Internet. However, most people that I have talked to say it was split in Los Alamos.

2) I will also have you know that the Nuclear bomb was created in Los Alamos and Oakridge Tennessee. The bomb was made by several different North American and European scientists including Albert Einstein.

3) You seem like a cynical person with anger issues.

4) The triple post was not spam related. It was for different posts.

5) You don't find your "loyal" words for the British to be, as you put it, an "idiotic wannabee patriot?"

6) Only people who are backed into corners start calling the person names.

7) You are trollin'.

8) You pick fights.

9) You are making your people look bad through yo' verbal violence.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Masami Offline
Banned

Ofcourse im trolling you fool...

I'm not a patriot AT ALL, I just don't accept idiotic inacurracys about the britsh.

Also, I'm not angry at all, im just chillin' and typing LOL
Old 04-28-2010, 06:02 PM
miyoun Offline

Send a message via MSN to miyoun Send a message via Skype™ to miyoun

TA is the only person who is making any sense any more.

don't wanna be a sing sing boy | twitter | last.fm
Old 04-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Masami Offline
Banned

Look up Rustard the custard, Or Ernest Rutherford.

I think that his name anyway, he did some splitting the atom work a looooooong time ago.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
I have no idea where you are getting this from. The Panzer while very powerful was NOT Germany's most powerful tank. The German Tiger tank could take down a T-34 from 100yds plus. The Panzer was efficient enough to kick the American's a**es. While the Sherman was formidable against infantry it was horrible compared to the European superpowers. If you are going to say the Germans were never fully mechanized, you may as well say none of the other nations were either. Americans, British, Italian, Russian, Japanese, and the Germans all used horses during the war as well as Poland and France. You could say that the Germans were actually the most technologically advanced power during the first half of the war...
Yes, the Tiger tank could take down a T-34. But it didn't come into action until late in the war, long after Germany had lost any hope of winning the war. Tiger tanks aren't a sign of a powerhouse, because they were obviously unable to turn the tide. During Operation Barbossa (the German invasion of Russia, back when they were still winning) German tanks were woefully inferior to the T-34. So if the Germans did better when their tanks were WORSE, then you can't really take them having superior tanks at the end of the war as a sign of them being a powerhouse.

And while the US did use animals during the war, it was by far the most mechanized nation at the time. The US army had six horse-based divisions and authorization for 16,000 horses in 1940. In contrast, in 1944, Germany had only 42 mechanized divisions out of 264 and had an average of 1.1 million horses for the entire war.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 04-28-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:24 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Also, the reason why the Panzers always get mentioned is because their incorporation into the blitzkrieg strategy made Germany's successes quick and decisive. No one was really prepared for blitzkrieg till the later stages of the war.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 04-29-2010, 09:09 AM

Ah, yes. I am mistaken. Germany was not the powerhouse that I though, sorry. Actually, the Tiger tank was made during the middle of WWII. The reason you don't hear much about the Tiger tank is because it was so big and heavy that it took fo' eva' to build. It was also a gas guzzler, which was scarce back then, even for the Americans.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
4) The triple post was not spam related. It was for different posts.
It's called multi-quote TA. Do that instead.

Being uninterested in the mechanics of weapons of war, I'm only going to say this. Germany and Japan were the powerhouses in the beginning of the war, as Germany's blitzkrieg strategy and Japan's, you know, almost total lack of opposition from any serious threats allowed them to completely dominate their respective regions. On the other hand, once Europe caught onto blitzkrieg (and Hitler made the completely idiotic mistake of turning his war into a two-front war by attacking Russia) and America began opposing Japan, they both lost steam and America and Russia took the position. Simple enough analysis.