Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default China H1N1 Flu Mortality Counts

China has counted up a number of 659 in mortality rates of H1N1 flu or commonly known as swine flu. Last year the number of infected stood at 120,940 in Beijing but the death toll was about 6. Now it is at 659. So what do you have to say about this drastic change of statistics. Could the H1N1 virus switch even more and become a plague?
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-04-2010, 11:45 AM
CloudOfNines's Avatar
CloudOfNines Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: where you least expect it
Posts: 1,198
Send a message via AIM to CloudOfNines Send a message via MSN to CloudOfNines
Default Re: China H1N1 Flu Mortality Counts

Do not quote anything in this post as I have not researched it thoroughly to be completely sure.

I believe that the Swine Flu is nothing much to worry about. You have to remember that China holds about 1/4th of the worlds population and, sadly to say, 659 people, even though it sounds like a lot, is nothing compared to the other 1.5 billion-so people in China. If I remember correctly I read about just the common flu killing more people in the U.S. yearly then the Swine Flu has ( I am not sure about China).

It is kind of surprising that the numbers increased about 110 fold but I would doubt they would do that again. May you actually post the statistics of how many people in China are affected by the swine flu? it doesn't give much information when you say:

120 infected, 6 dead (940 in Beijing? is that now or was this a typo?)
659 dead now

It just kind of picks at me not to know the counted infection of current times in China. I am not going to research into this as I have to start getting ready for school in a little bit.

So in conclusion I believe that the H1N1 flu is nothing to really worry about. It is just being over publicized. If anything comes out of it, I will be the first to say that I was wrong but I doubt it will be anything like the Spanish Influenza of Post WWI. Seeing as that killed millions. In todays world it would possibly kill around one hundred million if not more but the H1N1 Flu virus is no the Spanish Flu, just keep that in mind.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: China H1N1 Flu Mortality Counts

The fact that right now it is not a concern does not mean that, in the near future, it will change more and more and cause even more serious symptoms.

On average, 5000 die from influenza every year.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-08-2010, 03:35 AM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: China H1N1 Flu Mortality Counts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
The fact that right now it is not a concern does not mean that, in the near future, it will change more and more and cause even more serious symptoms.

On average, 5000 die from influenza every year.
Errrr....

NIAID disagrees with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIAID
Each year in the U.S., seasonal influenza kills more than 36,000 people and hospitalizes 200,000 more.
If you think about it that way, the flu has an incredible 2% death rate for all hospitalized patients, though it should be known that the death rate is in the 0.1's if you take the whole population into consideration.

Secondly, the theory of natural selection would state that the virus actually selects for strains that are less virulent than the previous generation, if it is too lethal. The reason is because the viral population cannot sustain itself more readily if its death rate is too high: it simply can't get a chance to actually spread to other people before killing the original infected person. Of course, the H1N1 isn't exactly a virulent strain in the first place, so it would simply be unlikely to become more virulent.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-08-2010, 03:43 AM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: China H1N1 Flu Mortality Counts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Errrr....

NIAID disagrees with you.



If you think about it that way, the flu has an incredible 2% death rate for all hospitalized patients, though it should be known that the death rate is in the 0.1's if you take the whole population into consideration.

Secondly, the theory of natural selection would state that the virus actually selects for strains that are less virulent than the previous generation, if it is too lethal. The reason is because the viral population cannot sustain itself more readily if its death rate is too high: it simply can't get a chance to actually spread to other people before killing the original infected person. Of course, the H1N1 isn't exactly a virulent strain in the first place, so it would simply be unlikely to become more virulent.
Yeah, it's just not in a parasites' interest to kill its host =)

On topic, I don't consider H1N1 a problem at all. Sure, it kills a few people, but the regular flu does as well. All this scare is over nothing.

But I'm sure everybody knows that already...
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: China H1N1 Flu Mortality Counts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Yeah, it's just not in a parasites' interest to kill its host =)

On topic, I don't consider H1N1 a problem at all. Sure, it kills a few people, but the regular flu does as well. All this scare is over nothing.

But I'm sure everybody knows that already...
Meh, it was the only thing on Google News.

Anyway, I know it isn't serious. I had it 2 months ago and it is no different than the regular flu.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-19-2010, 06:42 AM
Starkipraggy's Avatar
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gundam Porygon ZZ
Posts: 3,151
Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: China H1N1 Flu Mortality Counts

There is an upside to this though: There have been initatives to increase cleanliness standards globally to prevent this from spreading, so generally we're less likely to fall ill. At least until people go back to the old ways.
__________________


Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: China H1N1 Flu Mortality Counts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
There is an upside to this though: There have been initatives to increase cleanliness standards globally to prevent this from spreading, so generally we're less likely to fall ill. At least until people go back to the old ways.

Yep, the old way of scratching you @$$ and not washing your hands...
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com