Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Intro Boards PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-18-2010, 12:31 AM
Hypocrisy is Fun Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,852
Send a message via AIM to Hypocrisy is Fun
Default I think we should try something new.

First and foremost, I'm not making this thread because I want to see something done right now, my only intention is to see some life back in this place.

Since I got back here, I've noticed that this place isn't nearly as active as it used to be. I'm still in awe that the DCC can sometimes go days without a new reply. I've been trying to identify whats missing, and I'm not 100% sure, but I think I see it.

The rules here are way too strict.

I mean seriously guys, we're a POKEMON forum. A game/show with an audience made for kids and early teens. Now, I'm aware that theres people here older than that, myself included, but we should really be looking at the main demographic here if we want more activity.

We shouldn't be locking up threads that people genuinely enjoy, even if they do produce spam at times.

The way I see it, we either get more lenient with "fun" spam and look less professional, or die out because all the newer generations of members are gonna get discourage and move to another forum that's filled with threads they'd love to post in, and what have you.

If anyone has any other suggestions of ways to get more active people in here, I think this would be a good place to discuss it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-18-2010, 01:42 AM
Neo Emolga's Avatar
Neo Emolga Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Reading your mind
Posts: 21,704
Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: I think we should try something new.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/

http://www.serebiiforums.com/

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/

http://www.marriland.com/phpbb/


Take your pick, that's your real solution.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-18-2010, 02:00 AM
The Maple Syrup Baptist Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In Canada being Canadian.
Posts: 7,123
Send a message via AIM to The Maple Syrup Baptist Send a message via MSN to The Maple Syrup Baptist
Default Re: I think we should try something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Those aren't solutions, they're alternatives. HiF isn't the only one who feels this way; if we all seriously discuss this, maybe we can come to a solution.

Seems each new game, whether it be a main-series game or a spin-off, draws in fewer new members each time. Why does this happen in an era where internet usage is becoming increasingly prominent every day? Why is the first post in this thread throwing in the towel?

Does it even matter at this point? I think it does. And I think we can all figure something out.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-18-2010, 02:05 AM
miyoun's Avatar
miyoun Offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: ♡
Posts: 3,723
Send a message via MSN to miyoun Send a message via Skype™ to miyoun
Default Re: I think we should try something new.

You say one thing and you're pretty much banned on here. I've said for years that the rules are too strict. I probably feel thats why we all talk on Skype/Aim/MSN more, because we CAN be more open.

We start a discussion for people over the age of 10, and it's all HUSH HUSH HUSH PEOPLE THERE ARE KIDS.
__________________

don't wanna be a sing sing boy | twitter | last.fm
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-18-2010, 02:19 AM
Masami Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Im British, Its not a big deal.
Posts: 898
Send a message via AIM to Masami Send a message via MSN to Masami
Default Re: I think we should try something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post

Out of order man...You know im your friend, but just because your drifting doesn't mean you should encourage others to :/

Remember, alot of people here still look upto you, myself included.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-18-2010, 04:26 AM
Neo Emolga's Avatar
Neo Emolga Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Reading your mind
Posts: 21,704
Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: I think we should try something new.

Sorry guys, but I've been here for over 6 years, this is actually a very usual pattern and the vets I've known has left for these same reasons. PE2K has its high and low moments, this is something you either get used to, or you find somewhere else to go. Sorry if it seems like this is a rather sour way to throw in the towel, but I've seen this happen again and again, and its tiring. HKim will throw in his speeches to try and "rally the troops" to get PE2K idea think tanks going, and the only thing this really does is repeat history. Ryan has made it clear that he doesn't want this forum to be as big as Serebii and PokeCommunity, so all I'm saying is that if this forum isn't active enough for your tastes, you'll probably be happier with one of the larger ones. PE2K is definitely more of a smaller, closer knit "small country town" kind of forum in comparison to the "big city" forums like Serebii that have very active sites.

Now, I'm not saying everyone should go and quit, but if these kinds of downtimes bother you, well, there's other sites out there. The downtimes happen, sometimes members will come, sometimes the well of interest and activity will run dry. Heck, PE2K activity is definitely like the stock market in that sense.

Trust me, I tried to contemplate what would really help boost this place. Sometimes we came up with ideas, but most of the time the solutions were really only short term. People just don't really care for the War anymore, and the other sections just don't have the same charm anymore. As for the "rules being too strict," I haven't really seen too many bans being handed out just for casual chat. But yeah, PE2K isn't really a forum for loony spam or anything like that.

So yeah, this is kind of how its always been. Wish I could tell you that exciting and massively active periods are in the days to come ahead, but yeah, I've been here for six years... I'm not so sure anymore.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-18-2010, 04:30 AM
Ridley's Avatar
Ridley Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: »\(ツ)/»
Posts: 9,489
Send a message via AIM to Ridley
Default Re: I think we should try something new.

I want our 2007 community and activity level back. That is all.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-18-2010, 04:39 AM
The pokemaster's Avatar
The pokemaster Offline
PE2K Website Staff
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hiding from everything
Posts: 1,133
Send a message via AIM to The pokemaster Send a message via Skype™ to The pokemaster
Default Re: I think we should try something new.

I agree with Neo on that. I think that PE2K is more of a smaller, closer forum, and not like Serebii with loads of active members. That's why I like PE2K. Because it's just the few of us that are active, so we get to know each other, and new members are welcomed in with open arms. Whereas on places like Serebii, I've found that it's like thousands of people, and you dont really know many people, and when your new, no one really cares, because it's no much of a big deal.

The thing is, you get to know everyone here. You get to know who to turn to for spriting, or RPs or the URPG, or anything. You get to express yourself, and have loads of people there to listen. You get to learn new things and "grow-up" in certain things, and there will always be people there to help. And then, in turn, you get to help aswell.

I personally like the fact that I do know most of the active members on here, and to me, it just makes it feel a lot more friendly.

Meh, I dunno, that's what I think.
__________________

^URPG Stats^
Banner/Avi by Blue Dragon of BMGf
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-18-2010, 05:04 AM
Teo's Avatar
Teo Offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,943
Send a message via AIM to Teo Send a message via MSN to Teo
Default Re: I think we should try something new.

The rules aren't actually all that strict if you honestly think about it. A lot of the Mods let quite the lot of things go with little to no action at all. Most times a member gets a warning or talking to about what they did.

When a member does get disciplinary action, it's due to a bunch of contributing reasons. They've been let go before numerous times, Not heeding the warnings that are given, crossing the line with their own actions, and finally causing an over all problem amongst members.

It's not so much a problem that you can't chat on the board itself, it's the fact that there is hardly any substance to the post that are being made. A lot of which would be considered spam if you like.

Essentially it comes down to us a members of this community. A lot of people here seem to blow things out of proportion on what they SHOULD be able to do here. When we have rules and guide lines here stating what we can do. All we have to do is simply follow them.

As was earlier stated, we're a Pokemon Forum. The Mixed/Other boards are a privilege really. They didn't have to be made by Ryan. He made them as a place for us to go and just talk about things that aren't Pokemon. Is it really hard to carry ones self in a dignified and mature manner, while still making funny and on topic post?

ANYWAYS, if I really wanted to I'm sure I could find heaps of reasons to just give infractions, lock threads, and ban people with a good amount of reasons! I don't though! :3

Didn't read?

Rules are fine, not strict really. Action is taken when it's required. Members like to spam! Just follow the rules and you'll have fun! It's always about Pokemon, with a side of other stuff!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-18-2010, 05:07 AM
Judgmental Arceus's Avatar
Judgmental Arceus Offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Your front door with a loaded P90
Posts: 7,534
Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus
Default Re: I think we should try something new.

Gee. So many people like PE2K for its small size.
And I am one of them, though being up in the extreme hours with no new posts in threads in the boards that I find fun to discuss in is rather disappointing. I know I won't leave for the bigger ones because in all modesty I loathe Serebii and I like the fact that I'm in a crowd that mostly is friendly. More activity is great and exciting and all, yet it isn't required to make a forum like PE2K enjoyable.
__________________
Credit to mayfan1000. VPP Browser Post
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-18-2010, 05:18 AM
Calypso's Avatar
Calypso Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Highlands
Posts: 3,537
Send a message via MSN to Calypso
Default Re: I think we should try something new.

I agree to a certain extent. However, insead of trying something new, as you say, I personally think we should aim to improve the boards that we currently have, since, well, some are pretty dismal. I'm probably going to sound like a broken record here, but sections like the Pokemon anime/magna board are dire, and are overrun by duplicate threads and spam-filled topics, which is a shame, imo, since it's a subject that many probably have some kind of interest in. I'm not going to sit and criticise the mods for not overlooking every section constantly, because that's totally unfair, but some could really do with a complete overhaul, if only to attract some decent discussions. I know that if some of the sections were less occupied by pointless crap, I'd be much more inclined to contribute.

Just my two cents on the matter.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Sequentio's Avatar
Sequentio Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Дома
Posts: 1,945
Send a message via AIM to Sequentio
Default Re: I think we should try something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
I agree to a certain extent. However, insead of trying something new, as you say, I personally think we should aim to improve the boards that we currently have, since, well, some are pretty dismal. I'm probably going to sound like a broken record here, but sections like the Pokemon anime/magna board are dire, and are overrun by duplicate threads and spam-filled topics, which is a shame, imo, since it's a subject that many probably have some kind of interest in. I'm not going to sit and criticise the mods for not overlooking every section constantly, because that's totally unfair, but some could really do with a complete overhaul, if only to attract some decent discussions. I know that if some of the sections were less occupied by pointless crap, I'd be much more inclined to contribute.

Just my two cents on the matter.
I have to agree with this statement.
If we could clean-up the boards and make them a bit more accessable, I think that would help the current pe2kers.


Also, if everyone is concerned with "bringing life back to pe2k", why not afflite some of the larger communities to increase traffic? Not to mention, the last update on the site was February 10th or so. It's now the middle of April. Updated news keeps people coming back for more.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: I think we should try something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequentio View Post
I have to agree with this statement.
If we could clean-up the boards and make them a bit more accessable, I think that would help the current pe2kers.


Also, if everyone is concerned with "bringing life back to pe2k", why not afflite some of the larger communities to increase traffic? Not to mention, the last update on the site was February 10th or so. It's now the middle of April. Updated news keeps people coming back for more.
We're actively trying to find ways to update the actual websites. Keep in mind that many of us are actually trying to get things done and have laid out plans as such. It really would only require the cooperation of Ryan when he returns that we'll set things into motion. Until then, we just...wait.

If there are things that are of concern to you about say the website, do feel free to leave Ryan or any of us a PM/visitor message.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-18-2010, 11:15 AM
miyoun's Avatar
miyoun Offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: ♡
Posts: 3,723
Send a message via MSN to miyoun Send a message via Skype™ to miyoun
Default Re: I think we should try something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
I want our 2007 community and activity level back. That is all.
I agree with this 100%
__________________

don't wanna be a sing sing boy | twitter | last.fm
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Mitsuzo-kun's Avatar
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: England
Posts: 5,228
Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun
Default Re: I think we should try something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
I agree to a certain extent. However, insead of trying something new, as you say, I personally think we should aim to improve the boards that we currently have, since, well, some are pretty dismal. I'm probably going to sound like a broken record here, but sections like the Pokemon anime/magna board are dire, and are overrun by duplicate threads and spam-filled topics, which is a shame, imo, since it's a subject that many probably have some kind of interest in. I'm not going to sit and criticise the mods for not overlooking every section constantly, because that's totally unfair, but some could really do with a complete overhaul, if only to attract some decent discussions. I know that if some of the sections were less occupied by pointless crap, I'd be much more inclined to contribute.

Just my two cents on the matter.
Agreed. I think if a few people made more of an effort to contribute to discussions every now and again, others would follow suit and we'd actually get a lot more topics going. I've made a couple of threads in the Pokemon: FireRed/LeafGreen and the Pokemon: N64/Gamecube/Wii boards to try and draw some attention there, and I plan on doing so with other boards. Little things make a big difference, guys.
__________________
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

iamnotyou11 (00:41:35): scrotom?

ASB|URPG

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com