Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: sexual ofenders to guantanamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubatheDiverman View Post
Punishment? I thought jail was for rehabilitation?

You also have to look at the other side of the spectrum: When a sex offender is released from jail, they're put on a registered sex offender website, watched constantly, losing family and friends, probably won't be able to sustain a relationship, trouble making new friends, losing job opportunities, etc. Basically, it destroys their former life. In today's society, people view being social out-cast or losing everything worse than death.

I'm not defending sex offenders, I'm just saying you have to look at the whole picture.
I wouldn't say so, you can always find people on the internet to talk to.

There are the sex offenders who want to repent, and then there are those that continue to commit sex crimes for whatever reason. Considering how much damage a sex offence does to a victim (comparable to murder, as mentioned), all the stigma the offender gets heaped onto him is justified. meh.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 02-23-2010, 01:49 PM
MaskedJackal Offline

Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal

I say just off 'em. Why waste our money, time, and resources on them?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Ayotui Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Ayotui

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedJackal View Post
I say just off 'em. Why waste our money, time, and resources on them?
how are we wasting money time and resources by sending them to an already existing jail?

URPG VPP
Quote:
BlueJelloJelly (21:16:43): Alex walked into the woods with his trusty Magikarp. Suddenly, OMFG a Porygon-Z appeared! Magikarp used Splash! The Porygon-Z fainted! Alex threw a Pogeyballz and it wobbled like two Diglett at a night club.
Quote:
lord khajmer (20:38:29): Bubble KO gg
Old 02-23-2010, 04:07 PM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
I wouldn't say so, you can always find people on the internet to talk to.

There are the sex offenders who want to repent, and then there are those that continue to commit sex crimes for whatever reason. Considering how much damage a sex offence does to a victim (comparable to murder, as mentioned), all the stigma the offender gets heaped onto him is justified. meh.
The only problem with that is, that might of been the way that they got into trouble :o

@maskedjackal: You would say the exact same thing if a 5 year old stole a peice of candy

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 02-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Psychedelic Shroomish Offline

Send a message via AIM to Psychedelic Shroomish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotui View Post
how are we wasting money time and resources by sending them to an already existing jail?
It costs the tax payers money to feed those prisoners everyday, and to build prisons to house them in. It costs $55.09 on average per day or $20,108 per year to keep an inmate in prison. If you're looking at America, who currently has an estimated population of 315,534,716, and an estimated 1% of the total adult population in prison, that's over $3,000,000 dollars a day just to feed every prisoner. All of this money is coming straight from the tax payers money, money that could be spent in schools, hospitals, buildings, etc, but instead it's being spent letting some rapists rot in a prison cell, or even people that really don't deserve to be there. Nobody wins here. Not to mention the money it costs for law enforcement officials to actually get these people in jail.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:42 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Ever heard of the term "a fate worse than death"?

There are torture methods that make you beg for death. They say tying a person to a chair and slowly dripping water on their head in a pitch-dark room does wonders to drive them insane. Or at least begging to die. Water torture too. Fingernail removal/crushing fingers is also pretty effective.

Some people don't recover from rape and commit suicide. I guess that counts too.

It honestly depends, so I'd say they're about equal, bottomline.
I find the term figurative. Death is the one fate that you cannot recover from. You can get tortured, raped, beaten, or crippled, and you have a shot at recovery, with the right help from the right people. No amount of help will bring a dead person back to life. As long as a person is alive, there is hope for them. There is no hope for the dead.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 02-28-2010, 06:23 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
I find the term figurative. Death is the one fate that you cannot recover from. You can get tortured, raped, beaten, or crippled, and you have a shot at recovery, with the right help from the right people. No amount of help will bring a dead person back to life. As long as a person is alive, there is hope for them. There is no hope for the dead.
Extremely slim chance in some cases, I must say.

I must say it would be better to die than to forever remain on the brink of death, suffering. Death would then be seen as a release, since it would be impossible to recover, like say from a vegetative state, or maybe so fully paralysed that you cannot communicate with any means.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 02-28-2010, 08:24 AM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

Quote:
Extremely slim chance in some cases, I must say.

I must say it would be better to die than to forever remain on the brink of death, suffering. Death would then be seen as a release, since it would be impossible to recover, like say from a vegetative state, or maybe so fully paralysed that you cannot communicate with any means.
True. Some people, like myself, think death is the greatest healing. But you also have to understand that people think death is the worst case scenario. They think life is the greatest award.......

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubatheDiverman View Post
True. Some people, like myself, think death is the greatest healing. But you also have to understand that people think death is the worst case scenario. They think life is the greatest award.......
And yet the surest cause of death is life. For every life, there is a death. No way around it.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 03-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Alonso Offline

Send a message via AIM to Alonso

So nobody is going to correct the title?

Offenders
Go to the Anime section

Old 03-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
So nobody is going to correct the title?

Offenders
No.

To the above convo on wasting money holding sexual offenders, fun fact: between the mandatory appeals process, holding them until the execution, and the execution itself, it actually costs the state and taxpayers more to execute the death penalty than it does to have a person in jail for life (depending, of course, on how much longer their life is)
Old 03-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Alonso Offline

Send a message via AIM to Alonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
No.
I thought this was a formal section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
To the above convo on wasting money holding sexual offenders, fun fact: between the mandatory appeals process, holding them until the execution, and the execution itself, it actually costs the state and taxpayers more to execute the death penalty than it does to have a person in jail for life (depending, of course, on how much longer their life is)
What? I thought it was the other way around. A person in jails needs to eat, shower and a few other things over many years. To kill a person, all you need is like a one-time payment, so to speak.
Go to the Anime section

Old 03-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
I thought this was a formal section.

What? I thought it was the other way around. A person in jails needs to eat, shower and a few other things over many years. To kill a person, all you need is like a one-time payment, so to speak.
Yep. And that payment is a lot. Most of the money comes from the court system. Death penalty convicts get a lot of court appeals.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 03-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Yep. And that payment is a lot. Most of the money comes from the court system. Death penalty convicts get a lot of court appeals.
Yep. In fact, the death penalty ruling is synonymous with approval for appeal, it's mandatory unless the person plead guilty.