Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Sun or Big Crunch

Will the sun blow up before we can make it out of the Solar System? Or will we make it out and die of the Big Crunch and will the Big Crunch happen? Discuss it people...
Old 01-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: Sun or Big Crunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
Will the sun blow up before we can make it out of the Solar System? Or will we make it out and die of the Big Crunch and will the Big Crunch happen? Discuss it people...
The sun isn't going to blow up, it doesn't have enough mass to go supernova. It's going to become a red giant in about five billion years (estimated), it'll lose volume and become a white dwarf, and then it'll burn out and become a black dwarf. It's also purely speculative when we'll break out of the solar system since right now we aren't even entirely sure how long it'll take us to reach Mars.

Edit: Oh, and one other thing, the sun is getting hotter. Yeah. We exist in a very thin band of existence as it is, but as the sun gets hotter that band, called the circumstellar habitable zone, will move outwards. The planet will be unable to sustain liquid water, the atmosphere will basically disperse, and the planet will cease to be able to sustain life. That's gonna be in about one billion years, not the five million that the sun engulfs us in.

Last edited by Lord Fedora; 01-06-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

-_- You should stop making threads on topics with nothing to discuss.

1. The sun won't blow up.
2. Whether humanity will live that long is not something that can be argued, as it's impossible to know either way.
3. Current scientific observation of the distant universe verifies that the universe is expanding more rapidly, meaning a Big Crunch is unlikely. This is also something that cannot be discussed since any and all claims on this subject one way or another are meaningless and impossible to support.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 01-18-2010, 11:20 PM
Perish by Ice Offline
New Trainer

The sun is a low mass star and low mass stars are incapable of going supernova. In about 5 billion years it when hydrogen fusion ceases it will become a red giant and grow hotter and expand larger.

By this time if there are humans left on earth they will need to find a new planet/moon to dwell or die. Saturn's moon Titan is a consideration. Once Helium fusion also ceases the sun will then shed it's surface to reveal/expose only it's core which will be known as a white dwarf.

I just recently got an A in astronomy, last fall.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:08 AM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

What's the Big Crunch? That's a new term to me. It's sounds like candy! :D

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 01-23-2010, 07:07 PM
KantoBreeder Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubatheDiverman View Post
What's the Big Crunch? That's a new term to me. It's sounds like candy! :D
The big crunch is the theory that the univesrse will eventually stop growing and collapse upon itself.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Whether humanity will live that long is not something that can be argued, as it's impossible to know either way.
Well, if we do live that long chances are by the time Earth can no longer sustain life we'd already be on our way to other planets where we can actually live in. I mean, there'd be so much time to get to that level of technology. The level where we can go to distant inhabitable planets for humans to continue to live in.

In any case, I don't think the Sun will explode, and I don't think the Big Crunch will happen anytime within 10 billion years. So we're still safe. :D