Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:08 PM
james_gotex Offline

Default Your Opinion...

I will soon be writing a Pokemon trainer fic, and yes I know, there have been many in the past and the majority have failed. I however plan to write one so it does not fail epicly, but brings more readers to the section and possibly brings more trainer fics back to the site.

I however am stuck, as I do not know which Pokemon to have as a starter, are there any recomendations?
Old 09-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi
Default Re: Your Opinion...

Either Bulbasaur or Cyndaquil. Something modest and normal, because the amount of Eevees or Houndours or Pikachus used is unbelievable.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Ayotui Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Ayotui

why dont you go for something new and crazy like sableye or rhydon, maybe you could have a farfetch'd or something like that.

URPG VPP
Quote:
BlueJelloJelly (21:16:43): Alex walked into the woods with his trusty Magikarp. Suddenly, OMFG a Porygon-Z appeared! Magikarp used Splash! The Porygon-Z fainted! Alex threw a Pogeyballz and it wobbled like two Diglett at a night club.
Quote:
lord khajmer (20:38:29): Bubble KO gg

Last edited by Ayotui; 09-18-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Giratina Offline

What region is the story in? You need to give us some more information.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 09-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Scytherwolf Offline

I really don't think the species of the pokemon matters, as long as it's not something super-strong or anything. Any small, low-leveled pokemon would work well, I think.

Remember, it's not the species that really matters here-it's the personality you give the pokemon. Want an eevee or pikachu? Go for it! Want something less used? Sure! Just make sure to give it a good personality, as that's what'll really be important to the story.

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Old 09-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Dr Robotnik Offline

WOOOOOOOBBUFFET! Everyone in the universe will hate you, but NO ONE has done a Wobbuffet as a starter XD
Old 09-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal sonic View Post
WOOOOOOOBBUFFET! Everyone in the universe will hate you, but NO ONE has done a Wobbuffet as a starter XD
Either that or something really stupid like a Nosepass.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:18 PM
XaiakuX Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to XaiakuX Send a message via MSN to XaiakuX Send a message via Yahoo to XaiakuX Send a message via Skype™ to XaiakuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombi View Post
Either that or something really stupid like a Nosepass.
OR BE TOTALLY CONTRACITING!

Like me..

AND USE A LEGENDARY!

Like I did..

Mew = ftw..!

.|.[Linkage].|.[-.Norse God of Chaos.-].|.Best in the World.|.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Rawr Offline
Master Trainer

How about a fic that doesn't start with the standard Professor starter. Maybe create a backstory to a seldom seen Pokemon, e.g. Caterpie or Magikarp?
Old 12-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Dragonfree Offline
Experienced Trainer

Presumably you have an actual trainer there to pick a starter, right? Well, have him or her pick the starter that he or she actually would pick, given their personality.

As for the selection they have to pick from, well, what is the setting of your fic like? If it's in a region where there's a convenient professor in town giving out starters to beginning trainers, then use the traditional three from that region. If the character lives someplace completely different, maybe his or her parents give him or her some easy-to-train Pokémon, perhaps an offspring of the Pokémon they had as trainers, or the aspiring trainer goes out by him/herself with a Pokéball and tries to catch one of the wild Pokémon found around there.

Approach these things in terms of what makes sense for your world and characters.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Silverhawk Offline

Im in a similar mind frame to you, I want an original trainer fic, if at all possible.

The protagonist in my fic gets his first Pokemon with the help of his older brother, where he catches an agressive and headstrong Nidoran on his behalf, a Nidoran which mirrors the protagonist's personality.

Anyhow, get a more 'standard' Pokemon which can evolve to be strong if you like, think of your character, where do you see him/her in ten years time? Pick a Pokemon which would match the future character, and choose the first evolution of this Pokemon.

Thats how I'd do it anyway
Old 12-29-2009, 02:31 AM
Dentures Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Dentures

You could try playing the opposites game. If your character is shy and quiet, try giving him a loud and obnoxious Pokemon. Stories like that create contrast and foil. Giving a nerdy shy kid a Loudred foils the two, and emphasizes their personalities.

Also, in stories like that, the character usually grows from his Pokemon.