Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Rohypnol Offline

Send a message via AIM to Rohypnol
Default Re: Teenage pregnancy

So I sign on and the first thing I see are a bunch of pre-pubescent kids talking about babies. Great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khajmer View Post
You left out condoms. Condoms are perfectly effective ways of preventing pregnancy. Perfect? No. Do they work? Yes. And should they fail, it's called adoption. You know, what just about every pro-life person advises instead of abortion. That way the teenagers are happy, the Catholics are happy, why, golly gosh darn it everyone involved is happy.
No, everyone's not happy. The Catholic Church currently views condoms as a form of contraception and thus prohibits the use of condoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
If you dont want a baby then dont go messing around down there.

simple as that.
I agree with this 100%. Who wants to wear a condom? It's like screwing a garbage bag. If you can't take responsibility for the potential result, don't do the action. People should be using their brain to sort out the problems in their life, not their genitals.

DoIPutNameHere: cradily, bad game really f***** up w/o storm drain, horrible playing, i give you a 0/10, please try harder next time
Old 11-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

^

A girl in my year fell pregnant. She's fifteen. She stayed in school for a while, before she suddenly disappeared, then returned with a flat stomach. Her baby died, but she still had to give birth to it. That's what you get when you drink and smoke whilst pregnant.
I can only imagine the absolute horror of falling pregant at this age, then giving birth to your dead child. It'd f*ck me in the head, I know that- which is why I'm (hopefully) waiting until I'm eighteen to have sex. Sixteen is way too young, imo, and I think the government is damn stupid to have the age limit that low, mainly because I believe a girl's body isn't physically capable of holding a baby until she's fully developed- e.g., when she's 21.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
You're exactly right, which is why condoms are more advisable. But there's something you're forgetting: In the heat of the moment, teenagers are stupid. Most of the time they aren't going to think when it starts getting hot and heavy "oh wait, I don't have a condom," and they're going to do the deed anyway. It's kind of like a safety net for one of the inherent dangers of sex.

Darn, I left it out. I was going to say something about the problem with condoms being that you have to remember to wear it/you have to get the guy to wear it. Admittedly the pill is the best solution in terms of preventing pregnancy, but there are other alternatives that could be used, like vaginal covers. Just gotta wear them before going for a date. :o It causes discomfort for some people but that's it. Its prevention potential isn't as good though.

Not taking into account that I don't plan to have children for at least ten years, with another twelve or so years after that before it even becomes a concern, thus giving medical science plenty of time to come up with a better oral contraceptive, yes, I will give you that. So I will revise that statement to the moment they get a serious boyfriend. It probably won't make a difference since I'll be making it very clear to said boyfriend that if he turns me into a grandfather, very bad things will happen to him. That aside, yeah, I would like it if they had some kind of protection just to be safe, be it condoms or the pill.
Especially since teenagers (like me!) are prone to heat-of-the-moment stupidity. :D Yeah, the time they get serious boyfriends sounds about right. Just hope that when that happens they're above legal age. >_<

I don't really have a comment about future contraceptive pills, since technology loves to surprise us. Hell, you might not even need to take them regularly; just pop them before every date and poof! Or you could even vaccinate yourself against pregnancy or something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombi View Post
^

A girl in my year fell pregnant. She's fifteen. She stayed in school for a while, before she suddenly disappeared, then returned with a flat stomach. Her baby died, but she still had to give birth to it. That's what you get when you drink and smoke whilst pregnant.
I can only imagine the absolute horror of falling pregant at this age, then giving birth to your dead child. It'd f*ck me in the head, I know that- which is why I'm (hopefully) waiting until I'm eighteen to have sex. Sixteen is way too young, imo, and I think the government is damn stupid to have the age limit that low, mainly because I believe a girl's body isn't physically capable of holding a baby until she's fully developed- e.g., when she's 21.
This sums up all I want to say about the bolded part.

As for the non-bolded part, that's scary. If I were a girl and had to give birth to a stillborn, I'd probably be heavily traumatised for life. I mean, getting pregnant is one thing, but screwing the baby with smoking and drinking is another thing altogether. I pray to God that's an isolated incident. :x

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 11-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
Actually the youngest mother ever was a five year old girl in Peru.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:29 AM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
1. You expect teenagers to carry condoms?
2. 0.01% chance of failure is higher than one in a million. It's one in a thousand.
3. Stupid guy accidentally broke it while putting it on.
1. I guess some would, and the number would be pretty significant.
2. That's actually one in 10 thousand. One in one thousand is 0.1%.
3. Lol.

Quote:
Nine was the youngest in his country, I think. I should know, I'm also from that country. :P

And it happened just a few years ago.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:19 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
osh- memory recall fail.

Looking at the Wikipedia article, the failure rate of condoms are lowest at around 2%. So it's a 2 in 100 chance of failure. Scary thought.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 11-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Looking at the Wikipedia article, the failure rate of condoms are lowest at around 2%. So it's a 2 in 100 chance of failure. Scary thought.
I knew something was wrong. I read in the papers that it was 2%. I was like, when did the failure rate drop like that? Now I know.

So where did you get that um... 0.(0)1% chance of failing again?

Oh, and almost forgot. Vaccination against pregnancy is definitely a no-no, even if it's possible. The human race will die out.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:20 PM
!CeMAn Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Send a message via MSN to !CeMAn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrptr101 View Post
So I sign on and the first thing I see are a bunch of pre-pubescent kids talking about babies. Great.

I agree with this 100%. Who wants to wear a condom? It's like screwing a garbage bag. If you can't take responsibility for the potential result, don't do the action. People should be using their brain to sort out the problems in their life, not their genitals.
COME ON.
It's not that bad.

I'm a friggin grown man and i'd still rather suffer the garbage bag than risk having a kid. What's scary is that a lot teenage boys don't even have that same fear.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Conclusion: Use both birth control pills and condoms. Then you're doubly covered.

And sadly, it's often the people who don't use birth control who should be reproducing the least.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 11-28-2009, 02:47 AM
Mew Ichigo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

I, myself, am against teenage pregnancy. It's a little cliche, but a teenager shouldn't be having sex before they are married ANYWAY. I knew a couple of eigth graders at my old school who were pregnant.

But then again, I don't support abortion. Abortion is the same as MURDER, and muder is WRONG! Who knows, that baby could have been FAMOUS, and you aren't even giving it a chance to live!

I think you should ONLY get an abortion if you are pregnant, and your body has a disorder that cannot support the baby. As for me, I was supposed to have a younger brother/sister, but my mom aborted it because it was "Ovarian tube pregnacy(I forgot what it is called)", which means she was pregnant, but the egg was fertilized before it hit the ovary, or in it's tubes, and if the baby grew any more, my mom would have died.

If the teenager is pregnant, she should keep the baby! It's her fault for getting pregnant to begin with, and she must pay the price for it. If she can't support the baby, put it up for adoption.

However, this is my opinion, and this was not intended to offend anyone in any way.

Zolar is back <3 Huzzah

Last edited by Mew Ichigo; 11-28-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:16 AM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

Quote:
Ovarian tube pregnacy(I forgot what it is called)
The term you're looking for is ectopic pregnancy.

Quote:
but the egg was fertilized before it hit the ovary, or in it's tubes
I believe you mean before it hit the uterus. The eggs come from the ovary.

My thoughts on the topic are that there are that people should only get pregnant under the following circumstances:
*an emotionally and financially stable environment can be secured for the both parties
*neither the mother or child's health will be comprimised, either during or after the pregnancy

I'm not sure there are many cases that teenage pregnancy can fulfill either criterea.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew Ichigo View Post
I, myself, am against teenage pregnancy. It's a little cliche, but a teenager shouldn't be having sex before they are married ANYWAY. I knew a couple of eigth graders at my old school who were pregnant.
For most intents and purposes, a teenager can't get married. Whether you believe in sex after marriage or not, it is still important to teach those kids about safe practices of sex. It's not exactly amoral to have sex under consensual circumstances.

Quote:
But then again, I don't support abortion. Abortion is the same as MURDER, and muder is WRONG! Who knows, that baby could have been FAMOUS, and you aren't even giving it a chance to live!
The baby could also be the next Hitler. You can't say such broad spectrum things and hope that you're right.

Quote:
I think you should ONLY get an abortion if you are pregnant, and your body has a disorder that cannot support the baby. As for me, I was supposed to have a younger brother/sister, but my mom aborted it because it was "Ovarian tube pregnacy(I forgot what it is called)", which means she was pregnant, but the egg was fertilized before it hit the ovary, or in it's tubes, and if the baby grew any more, my mom would have died.

If the teenager is pregnant, she should keep the baby! It's her fault for getting pregnant to begin with, and she must pay the price for it. If she can't support the baby, put it up for adoption.

However, this is my opinion, and this was not intended to offend anyone in any way.
As Gofre said, eggs come from the ovaries, get fertilized in the uterine tubes, and normally implant in the uterus.

Approximately 55% of all pregnancies are "autoaborted", with 15% taking up the miscarriages and other issues such as ectopic pregnancies. There really are only about 30% of all pregnancies that end up going to term. So yes, about half the time women abort their zygote. There is no disorder. There is no problem with the women. It just happens.

The issue is that you're placing yourself in a moral high ground when you say what you just said. There's nothing wrong with the belief in itself, but that's also part of the innate risk you place yourself. This is why pro-lifers specifically state that life begins by fertilization, which basically means most women are murderers in their lifetime.

There are many circumstances when it is not the girl's fault that she's pregnant (such as date rape, getting drunk, prostitution, etc.). It's difficult to assume circumstance and moral high ground just because of this. Secondly, if you go under the circumstance that the girl doesn't even know she was pregnant (which is basically often the case), she will be exposed to a lot of teratogens. That's a huge problem. Tons of issues come up with regards to pregnancy, and it should be evaluated in a case-by-case scenario, NOT some broad and generalized idea.

Putting a baby on for adoption might not be the best of ideas either. The total number of children in public foster care has been relatively steady within the past several years (data takes a while, so the most recent is 2006), meaning that the "supply" of children is approximately meeting the "demand" for the children to be adopted. Putting more kids up for adoption will cause major issues in government spending, children's standard of living, and what not simply because there will be an influx of children if abortion becomes illegal. In this case, it's basically saying that the "supply" of children will outpace the "demand" for children, making it difficult to sustain the adoption system as a whole for all of the children. That is, of course, assuming that all of the children are fine. If we add the additional complication that teens are likely to be exposed to a lot of teratogens during pregnancy (smoking, alcohol, pollution, etc.), the cost of such public services would rocket even higher specifically because these kids would require a lot of medical care on top of it.

Don't put the issue of teen pregnancy and abortion up as something black and white when very clearly that the grey area is massive. That's basically my advice to you. :3
Old 11-29-2009, 05:31 AM
Alonso Offline

Send a message via AIM to Alonso

Quote:
Source?
Go to the Anime section

Old 11-29-2009, 07:10 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
Source?
http://www.telegraphindia.com/102082...ry_1140311.asp

One source, there are a few others but that seemed both the most accurate and most reliable.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Fluffy Mew Offline
Elite Trainer

Well, Im not REALLY against it. What I mean is, it was their choice to have sex. So, basically, they opened a doorway for pregnancy.

It might've not been their fault, (Such as damaged protection,) but still.
If I see a teenage girl who is pregnant, I'll still judge her by character, not by her belly.

FM~

ATTENTION! ALL THE PEOPLE WHO WERE IN THE OLD SELENA ESPEON PLEASE PM ME!