Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Kendo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Kendo
Default I never really understood this...

First of all, no, I do not have this.

Now that THAT'S out of the way...what's with all the disgust about brother-sister incest? I know they were birthed from the same mother, and grew up together, but putting their origins into the matter is almost like saying you shouldn't have interracial marriage, which doesn't make sense. And if you grew up alongside them, isn't that MORE of a good reason to love them? I mean, some people marry childhood friends and nobody calls it gross. Besides, if brothers and sisters never had children, then how would the human race spread?
IT'S NOT VALENTINE'S DAY.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:14 AM
-Holland- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to -Holland- Send a message via MSN to -Holland- Send a message via Yahoo to -Holland-
Default Re: I never really understood this...

Oh, Kendo, you're an interesting cookie.

I actually do see where you're coming from, though. Theoretically, "incest" is the only way human race (or any species, for that matter) has come so far.

I'd like to think a philosophical genius - long ago - decided that brothers and sisters shouldn't marry because it would defeat the introspection of human nature. If you marry someone you've lived with and grew up around - taking in the same ideas - you've only isolated your intelligence to one little nook of the world; the nook of your family and its minuscule origins. Perhaps we, like we have done with so many other ideas, simply twisted the meaning of this person's preaching into a condemnation of taboo - the effect is the same, but the consequent emotions aren't; we've turned disappointment into condescension.

Of course, that's not necessarily the truth. I could bring Sigmund Freud into this, but I have trouble agreeing with most of the stuff he said anyway, so I won't. Might as well stick to the Darwinist approach.

My Battle Log

Last edited by -Holland-; 10-28-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:53 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Funny thing is, I don't know if the Bible really says anything about incest. A couple things, though. God took from Adam to make Eve. Thus, Eve is, to say, Adam's daughter. Just like the story of Gaia and Uranus; Uranus is Gaia's son. However, they still went at it. And the story of Noah; obviously, from hearing flood stories from many different religions, Noah's family obviously wasn't the only family. And it couldn't be because Noah had a lot of babies. More babies equals more sex, and God chose only the pure of heart to take charge of the task he presented to Noah. And also; exotic, or area-specific animals. Evolution can't explain this one.

I even asked my aunt when I was really young why she didn't marry my father. "If I did, that would have been gross." I don't understand why either, but it's apparently an improper thing to do, like murdering or stealing... except not to that extent. God didn't say "don't have sex with people in your family." That's not of the ten commandments, but it can if they're not married. And it is illegal in America, so it's automatically wrong.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:05 AM
Broderick Offline

Send a message via AIM to Broderick Send a message via MSN to Broderick

It depends. Is one's sister hot?
Old 10-26-2009, 01:09 AM
Psychedelic Shroomish Offline

Send a message via AIM to Psychedelic Shroomish

In my opinion, incestuous relationships without the intent of producing children is merely a taboo; nobody really knows why it's wrong, it just is because society programmed us to think that way. Having children with your siblings is another story though; I would assume that it's viewed as wrong since it boosts the rate of deformities and or retardation in the offspring.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:22 AM
Seawolf Offline
I has a stik

Send a message via AIM to Seawolf

1. It IS gross and wrong.

2. Plus, children that are the result of incest usually look like this:

Old 10-26-2009, 01:40 AM
!CeMAn Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Send a message via MSN to !CeMAn

Ha Ha i think i went to school with that guy!
I'm sure at some point humans were humping siblings but obviously, that got pretty boring. It's way beyond our nature now and just gross. Animals that act like that do it because their lifespans are much shorter and survival rate is low. There is never a good reason to have sex with your family members. Don't care how hard up you might be.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

The original basis for why incest is wrong is purely biological: those who are brothers and sisters will have an infinitely higher potential of having a "defective" baby, because deleterious genes that should not come up all that frequently suddenly does specifically because the two are related by blood. This is also why incest rate in animals tend to be low as well, specifically because of problems in gene passing. This is also why the royal family is so messed up in terms of their phenotypic problems, such as hemophilia.

Evolutionarily then, we would try to mate with others of the same species that are as different from us as possible. I remember reading a while ago about the role of phoremones and how they contribute to this way of differentiation between members of the same family and members outside of the family. Perhaps it is why people don't tend to have any sort of romantic love for family members: we think that it's "gross" because our brain senses their phoremones, which will be very similar to ours. Of course, like everything, it doesn't always work either.

That's sort of the more scientific basis of why, which eventually evolved into a cultural thing, which most of the posters above has covered.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:56 AM
Pokemon_Ron Offline

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon_Ron Send a message via Skype™ to Pokemon_Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
1. It IS gross and wrong.

2. Plus, children that are the result of incest usually look like this:

Haha, you just made my dayyy.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:56 AM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

I also think it's a mental thing. To me, I could have a smoking hot sister, but just the ideal that she is my sister just disgusts me.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 10-30-2009, 02:42 AM
22sa Offline

Send a message via AIM to 22sa Send a message via MSN to 22sa Send a message via Yahoo to 22sa Send a message via Skype™ to 22sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
The original basis for why incest is wrong is purely biological: those who are brothers and sisters will have an infinitely higher potential of having a "defective" baby, because deleterious genes that should not come up all that frequently suddenly does specifically because the two are related by blood. This is also why incest rate in animals tend to be low as well, specifically because of problems in gene passing. This is also why the royal family is so messed up in terms of their phenotypic problems, such as hemophilia.

Evolutionarily then, we would try to mate with others of the same species that are as different from us as possible. I remember reading a while ago about the role of phoremones and how they contribute to this way of differentiation between members of the same family and members outside of the family. Perhaps it is why people don't tend to have any sort of romantic love for family members: we think that it's "gross" because our brain senses their phoremones, which will be very similar to ours. Of course, like everything, it doesn't always work either.

That's sort of the more scientific basis of why, which eventually evolved into a cultural thing, which most of the posters above has covered.
=O Defect baby!??!??!?!!? Because of blood relation!?!?!?

-_- I see. o.o;

Bishie claims: Milfuelle Sakuraba, Misuzu Kamio, Rin <3
URPG | RECENT ART (last updated July 3rd 2009)
Old 10-30-2009, 03:38 AM
-Holland- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to -Holland- Send a message via MSN to -Holland- Send a message via Yahoo to -Holland-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22sa View Post
=O Defect baby!??!??!?!!? Because of blood relation!?!?!?

-_- I see. o.o;
Pretty much, bad genes are more likely to show up. Same with recessive genes.

My Battle Log
Old 11-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

It's mentally programmed in us. Medieval royal families have nearly died out because the chosen future king and queen grew up together from early childhood, and thus, thought about each other in a brotherly/sisterly way despite not being related by blood and found it difficult to reproduce.

People who like brother-sister incest probably don't have a close relationship with one of their own.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."