Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga

Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga Talk about the Pokemon anime, movies and manga. NOTE: It's possible that there may be discussions in here that may spoil something for you if you haven't seen that episode/movie/manga before. Please use the spoiler code when appropriate.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Giratina Offline

Default Which Voice-cast do You Prefer?

I was listening to Rocket Dan no Ein Ni (I think that's how you spell it...?) today and it suddenly occurred to me how different the English and Japanese Rocket Trio sounded. So I'm here to ask a question of you, PE2K: which voice group do you like more, English or Japanese? And don't say 'English' if you haven't ever watched a Japanese episode in your life and vice versa.

For me, it's amixed bag. For example, I really just don't like Nyarth's voice - but the 'nyaa' part is kinda cute. Musashi's voice is much better than Jessie's and fits the character (not to mention the age) more accurately. Kojiro has a very good voice actor who can also sing quite well, but his voice just doesn't seem to fit in the James mold - this is why I like the higher-pitched, slightly more whiny English VA better.

Respond and discuss. :3

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 08-17-2009, 01:39 AM
Jeikobu Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jeikobu Send a message via MSN to Jeikobu
Default Re: Which Voice-cast do You Prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giratina View Post
I was listening to Rocket Dan no Ein Ni (I think that's how you spell it...?) today and it suddenly occurred to me how different the English and Japanese Rocket Trio sounded. So I'm here to ask a question of you, PE2K: which voice group do you like more, English or Japanese? And don't say 'English' if you haven't ever watched a Japanese episode in your life and vice versa.

For me, it's amixed bag. For example, I really just don't like Nyarth's voice - but the 'nyaa' part is kinda cute. Musashi's voice is much better than Jessie's and fits the character (not to mention the age) more accurately. Kojiro has a very good voice actor who can also sing quite well, but his voice just doesn't seem to fit in the James mold - this is why I like the higher-pitched, slightly more whiny English VA better.

Respond and discuss. :3
As I try not to get into rant mode, Japanese 100%. Not just for Team Rocket, but for the entire voice cast. I feel the dub ruined it, especially after it went on. To be fair, most of the dub voices weren't that bad when the show started, but they quickly got bad.

As for Team Rocket in specific, I agree about Musashi. Kojirou's dub voice I thought was one of the worst, mainly because HE'S NOT HOMOSEXUAL. While I dislike the corssdressing, in the Japanese version it's merely a gimmick. His Japanese voice doesn't sound homosexual, and we get a very clear implication from one of the special "Housou" episodes (which I believe never made it to America) that he's straight. As for Nyarth, why did they give him a Brookyn-style voice that didn't match the original? I will say that's maybe the one voice that improved with time in the dub, because the first voice they had for him was pure horror IMO. Still, it was never anywhere near where I think it should've been. Nyarth's Japanese voice sounds like a cat's voice. He also says his name at the end of sentences most of the time, giving homage to his original "Pokemon" language, and adds humor since the "nya" in his name is the Japanese way of saying "meow". It has a lot more charm and character I feel.
"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." - Romans 1:20

Learn the Japanese names for Pokemon!

Please visit my Photobucket! http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v162/Jeikobu_Roy/
Old 10-08-2009, 05:42 AM
Pokemon Ultimatum Offline
Experienced Trainer

I onestly like there english voices more.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:51 AM
Super Puppy Offline
New Trainer

I think it depends on the character and the situation, really.

As far as Musashi goes, I like both her English and Japanese voices. Her English one is more cartoony, while her Japanese voice is prettier. Since I watched the English version as a child and the Japanese one now, it lined up pretty well for me, hehe.

Meowth's English voice is funny (though why 4kids gives someone a Brooklyn accent in every show they dub is beyond me). It works with the character pretty well, in my opinion. His Japanese voice is also very fitting and cute with the name wordplay, but it honestly gets hard to listen to after awhile.

Kojiro is the most interesting case, naturally. I love his English voice, I've gotta say. Eric Stuart is one hell of a voice actor, and I think that him portraying Kojiro the way he did was great. Nobody else could ever do it the same way, though. (Poor new guy). I love his screams and the other weird noises, haha. His Japanese voice isn't nearly as fun, but it better fits the character he was originally intended to be.

As for the other characters, Ash's voice is fine to me, no matter who does it. I kinda like the gravely sound to his English one, though. Brock's English voice is better, no questions asked. Again, Eric Stuart = win. I liked Misty's Japanese voice better, and the same goes for many of the other girls.

It all comes down to preferance. Realistic or amusing.

(Also keep in mind: When I discuss their "English" voices, I'm talking about the old seasons 1-9 cast. I've barely even heard the new people, since I don't watch the dub anymore.)

Last edited by Super Puppy; 10-09-2009 at 05:57 AM.