Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Art Boards » Sprite Art

Sprite Art For both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related sprite art.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Wario Offline

Default (please move to tutorial thread?) [Tutorial] HG/SS Style Maps

Hi guys, Wario here. Above, you'll see a small image, which will be all you need to create a HG/SS-style region map. The first thing you'll want to do, of course, is get a blank canvas. Create a 192x143 image and fill it with the same background color as in the above "toolkit". You'll want to start off by drawing a basic outline of your region in the 2nd brown color from the toolkit, as shown below. Once you have your outline done, fill your region in entirely with the same color. Don't worry, it won't be like this for long.

After you've made the basic shape of your region, you'll need to add the terrain. Start by coloring the region with the 1st green, leaving 2-4 pixels of the brown on the border of the region. Don't worry too much about being exact, but at least try to be accurate.

The next step is probably the one that takes the most time and patience, so don't worry if you're frustrated with it. You'll need to use the 3rd blue to create a 3-pixel border around the brown border. This may seem confusing, but just remember to put 3 of the dark blue pixels between the region and the water. After you do this, you will want to use the 2nd blue to make a 1-pixel border around the border you just made. Below is an image to clarify the directions.

By now, your region should look semi-inhabitable, but not quite yet. Now, you'll want to start defining elevations in land and mountains. To do so, use the second green to color areas where there is elevation. Don't worry about mountains just yet.

Now you have elevation, but you'll probably want to include areas higher than that. To do so, use the first brown to color areas of higher elevation. Use the second brown to define even higher areas, and so on and so forth. As a general rule of thumb, the lighter the brown, the higher the elevation.

Now comes the part you've all been waiting for. Drag and drop objects from the kit to the map, or make your own. This is a way to denote forests, caves, explorable mountains, and the like. A whirlpool object has been included for use in the water surrounding the region. A lake object has been included for you to edit to your specifications, but it is not recommended to use the lake object straight out of the kit.

Next you'll face the task of denoting cities, towns, and dungeons. As with the previous step, drag and drop the markers from the kit to the map. Red markers denote towns or cities, while the non-circular green markers denote important locations. Smaller green markers can be used to denote dungeons.

The next step is quite easily. You will just have to drag and drop the pathways from the kit onto the map, connecting your markers from the previous step. White paths are used for land, blue paths are used for water. At NO point should a blue and white path meet. They must be separated by a marker of some sort.

If you've followed the directions, you should have something like the map shown below. Keep in mind, this is a basic map, and you are free to experiment with any of the steps shown here. Custom objects, such as snowy trees, can also be made quite easily. I hope that this guide was informative and helped you to create a good one. I look forward to seeing your completed products, and/or questions, in your response.

Last edited by Wario; 10-06-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: updated toolkit
Old 10-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Wario Offline

Default Additional Map Guides and Advice

Roaming Pokemon markers are easy to make, and will liven up your maps quite a bit. Use the blank circle template provided above to color in your marker. Color it in with the main color of the Pokemon you are making, and try to use bright (but not blinding) colors. For each color, don't use more than two shades or the simplicity will be ruined. Continue adding major details, but don't use more than 9 colors (including the outline and border). Once you're done, add a one pixel border around the entire marker in the off-white color provided. Remember, the template can be altered to fit your needs, but can be no bigger than the one shown. Below is an example of one of the roaming Pokemon markers actively placed on the map.

Last edited by Wario; 10-09-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi
Default Re: [Tutorial] HG/SS Style Cartography

YAY WARIO STUFF

Ima make a map now. :D

Old 10-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Impressive. This will really help people who want to make maps like the new HG/SS maps. I won't make one today, but I may later on. =D
Old 10-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Wario Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombi View Post
YAY WARIO STUFF

Ima make a map now. :D
Awesome, can't wait to see what it turns out like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Requiem of Verities View Post
Impressive. This will really help people who want to make maps like the new HG/SS maps. I won't make one today, but I may later on. =D
Thanks ^.^ Also, great to see you're still around here.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Hakken Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Hakken Send a message via MSN to Hakken Send a message via Yahoo to Hakken

Hell yes. <3
I'm making one. Shi-shi needed a new map anyway.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

I know there's loads of mistakes. Sue me. *stretches and yawns* I'm tired. x ox

Old 10-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Wario Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombi View Post

I know there's loads of mistakes. Sue me. *stretches and yawns* I'm tired. x ox
nah, I don't see too many mistakes. I only see 2 from looking at it now: the blue and white paths should be separated by some kind of marker, not in direct contact with one another. Also, the two red markers at the top are placed off the path, while the path should lead into it. Aside from that, it's very good considering how unclear my tutorial was.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Wario Offline

Default Re: [Tutorial] HG/SS Style Cartography (edit: roaming marker tutorial)

Second post has been edited with a guide on roaming Pokemon markers.

Quote:

Roaming Pokemon markers are easy to make, and will liven up your maps quite a bit. Use the blank circle template provided above to color in your marker. Color it in with the main color of the Pokemon you are making, and try to use bright (but not blinding) colors. For each color, don't use more than two shades or the simplicity will be ruined. Continue adding major details, but don't use more than 9 colors (including the outline and border). Once you're done, add a one pixel border around the entire marker in the off-white color provided. Remember, the template can be altered to fit your needs, but can be no bigger than the one shown. Below is an example of one of the roaming Pokemon markers actively placed on the map.
I will probably be adding some custom object guide or resource in the near future, or a custom marker guide.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Hakken Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Hakken Send a message via MSN to Hakken Send a message via Yahoo to Hakken
Default Re: [Tutorial] HG/SS Style Cartography (update: roaming markers tutorial)

HOORAY I DID IT o-o;

Ohgawd, island chains in this style = killer.
The white roads in the middle of the ocean isn't a mistake; those are bridges.
The small (crappy-looking) red markers are there to represent even smaller towns. Because there are a lot of villages.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:08 PM
SilverSwift Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default Re: [Tutorial] HG/SS Style Cartography (update: roaming markers tutorial)

Nice Tut Wario =3
Also Hakken Nice Outcome ;3

~ Swift
Old 10-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Wario Offline

Guide Update added a few new objects to the toolkit, all of which I ripped from the kanto map. I will probably make a bunch of custom objects for you to use as well. Any object requests will be completed in a timely fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakken View Post
HOORAY I DID IT o-o;

Ohgawd, island chains in this style = killer.
The white roads in the middle of the ocean isn't a mistake; those are bridges.
The small (crappy-looking) red markers are there to represent even smaller towns. Because there are a lot of villages.
Great job! I like the custom objects, and I don't think the small markers are crappy. They're good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSwift View Post
Nice Tut Wario =3
Also Hakken Nice Outcome ;3

~ Swift
thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Wario Offline

Default Re: (please move to tutorial thread?) [Tutorial] HG/SS Style Maps

likely my last post here. I am requesting that this be added to the tutorial thread by a mod. Also, if anyone has a request for another tutorial, send me a pm or ask here.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:29 PM
kokovo Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via MSN to kokovo

Wow, very good tut.
I'll start one now.

Earth taken from the Voyager 1 as it left our solar system
Old 10-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Anastasia-R Offline
Time Gear Thief

Send a message via MSN to Anastasia-R Send a message via Skype™ to Anastasia-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
likely my last post here. I am requesting that this be added to the tutorial thread by a mod. Also, if anyone has a request for another tutorial, send me a pm or ask here.
I added the tutorial to the Sprite guide, where the Gotta Sprite 'em all post is.