Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Other Boards Other Chat

Other Chat For non-Pokemon discussion on everything else. For casual talk only, any more serious topics such as current events, should be in the Discussion. You can talk about anything else that is not covered in the other "Other Boards" that are above.

View Poll Results: Would The school be taking a LEGAL action?
Yes. What they are doing is legal. 7 58.33%
No. It is illegal. 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2009, 02:41 AM
Pink Leon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Exclamation Law poll (this is serious) United States > Arizona

This is a serious subject, but I can't find anywhere online with legal info. to help
me with this.

United States > Arizona > Phoenix / Glendale laws

Our school will not enforce the theft law at our school anymore because people report
things stolen all of the time. The handbook apparently states that they aren't
responsible for lost or stolen items (of any value). Isn't that against the law?
"They
should investigate and be held responsible because they hold all of the information, and it
is on their property - that is the law, and the law is above the student handbook.",
so
my mother says. Is my mom correct?

If you know the answer, please vote.
in doing this, you are contributing to help me reobtain a stolen $120 MP3 / media player.
Thank you! :)

EDIT: if for some reason this thread must be closed, then close it without further ado. I'm very sorry if this broke the rules. (irony!) D:

Last edited by Pink Leon; 09-04-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:46 AM
Psychedelic Shroomish Offline

Send a message via AIM to Psychedelic Shroomish
Default Re: Law poll (this is serious) United States > Arizona

Yeah, that's perfectly legal. I'm pretty sure that's how it as it most schools actually, including mine.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 AM
Hoshika Offline

I'm not sure if this is related enough to matter, but teenagers have the rights of children, but can be put on trial as adults.
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:50 AM
Sequentio Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sequentio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Leon View Post
This is a serious subject, but I can't find anywhere online with legal info. to help
me with this.

United States > Arizona > Phoenix / Glendale laws

Our school will not enforce the theft law at our school anymore because people report
things stolen all of the time. The handbook apparently states that they aren't
responsible for lost or stolen items (of any value). Isn't that against the law?
"They
should investigate and be held responsible because they hold all of the information, and it
is on their property - that is the law, and the law is above the student handbook.",
so
my mother says. Is my mom correct?

If you know the answer, please vote.
in doing this, you are contributing to help me reobtain a stolen $120 MP3 / media player.
Thank you! :)

EDIT: if for some reason this thread must be closed, then close it without further ado. I'm very sorry if this broke the rules. (irony!) D:
From your post, the "law" in your school is similar to that in most highschools.
And based off my experience in law, I'm going to say this;

Any public place that gives ample warning to those in the area, (this would be the part in the school rules that says, "The school is not responsible for any lost or stolen items") cannot be held responsible for the theft or loss of any item. (This is similar to the warnings on medicine bottles. When they post a disclaimer, the company cannt be held responsible for outside actions.)

For example, if you lost a ring in the doctor's office (or had it stolen there), it is not the responsibility of the office to reimburse you the value of the ring. You lost it or it was stolen. If in fact it was stolen, then it would be the responsibility of the person who stole it to reimbure you - not the public institution of where it was taken.

Although the incident was unfortunate, you should never take anything valuable to any public place. So I'm sorry to say, the law does not support you or your mother. D:

Last edited by Sequentio; 09-04-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:00 AM
Pink Leon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshika View Post
I'm not sure if this is related enough to matter, but teenagers have the rights of children, but can be put on trial as adults.
well, teens do have a separate set of rules which can relate both to adult,
and children's laws. but the case is basically, the school staff (all adults - obviously)
say that they aren't held responsible for a theft, however they can 'pick and choose' (in a sense)
which cases to investigate as they wish.

through my point of view, i believe that it isn't illegal to put that in the handbook,
but it isn't officially law. so by choosing not to investigate because they don't want to,
yet investigating cases they feel they have the time for or should, i would think
that is illegal, however, stating they aren't responsible doesn't quite correlate to the
fact that they investigate some cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequentio View Post
From your post, the "law" in your school is similar to that in most highschools.
And based off my experience in law, I'm going to say this;

Any public place that gives ample warning to those in the area, (this would be the part in the school rules that says, "The school is not responsible for any lost or stolen items") cannot be held responsible for the theft or loss of any item. (This is similar to the warnings on medicine bottles. When they post a disclaimer, the company cannt be held responsible for outside actions.)

For example, if you lost a ring in the doctor's office (or had it stolen there), it is not the responsibility of the office to reimburse you the value of the ring. You lost it or it was stolen. If in fact it was stolen, then it would be the responsibility of the person who stole it to reimbure you - not the public institution of where it was taken.

Although the incident was unfortunate, you should never take anything valuable to any public place. So I'm sorry to say, the law does not support you or your mother. D:
yes, i do understand and believe what you are saying. i opposed my mom with the same logic (believe it or not).
using my groupies consisting of about a fifth of the schools population, I probably can find any suspects, recieve parents numbers, and
do anything in my power to get it back. I would much rather go through hell getting it back than to buy a new one and lose hundreds of dollars in songs alone.

If this helps any, I have witnesses to the theft.

Last edited by Pink Leon; 09-04-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:30 AM
Judgmental Arceus Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus

against the law or not, its hardly possible that you will ever see your ipod again :P
as "unlawful" as it is, school authority could hardly care about stolen or lost items as the student is held responcible for their own belongings. if something gets stolen, its the victims fault for having the valuable item in the first place.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:32 AM
Gokudera-Kun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Gokudera-Kun

:o Arizona Native? Awesome.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that's how all high schools work. Something comes up stolen, they might do a check. Still, it's your own fault for not taking care of your stuff, so they dont HAVE to check, nor should they have to pay. But yes, it is legal.

VPP: Giratina, Level100 @ 4,554
Old 09-04-2009, 03:53 AM
Sequentio Offline

Quote:
well, teens do have a separate set of rules which can relate both to adult,
and children's laws. but the case is basically, the school staff (all adults - obviously)
say that they aren't held responsible for a theft, however they can 'pick and choose' (in a sense)
which cases to investigate as they wish.

through my point of view, i believe that it isn't illegal to put that in the handbook,
but it isn't officially law. so by choosing not to investigate because they don't want to,
yet investigating cases they feel they have the time for or should, i would think
that is illegal, however, stating they aren't responsible doesn't quite correlate to the
fact that they investigate some cases.

yes, i do understand and believe what you are saying. i opposed my mom with the same logic (believe it or not).
using my groupies consisting of about a fifth of the schools population, I probably can find any suspects, recieve parents numbers, and
do anything in my power to get it back. I would much rather go through hell getting it back than to buy a new one and lose hundreds of dollars in songs alone.

If this helps any, I have witnesses to the theft.
If you have witness to the theft, then there are many possible grounds for action.
If you can proove the "thief" has stolen your MP3 player, then you have the grounds to contact the police to recover said item.
You also can involve the school - although I suggest against it, since they do not have the ability to do anything under law.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:56 AM
Pink Leon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

well technically, it's my friend's fault, my fault, and the theif's fault.
My friend was the cause of the drop. now i already have suspects, and witnesses,
so do not say i wont see it again. it will be tough, but by some time, i may get it back.
plenty of people at our school have had issues very similar, and got their device
back. it isnt an ipod, fortunatally for me. the chances of the theif being able to
charge it when the battery dies are very slim, just as well as moving / adding / deleting files.
It's a Walkman mp3 player, with a custom usb cable for charging and
moving / adding / deleting songs and other media. i have the cable, and its
available only by purchase of the specific mp3 player, which must be shipped
by mail. I'm the only one in the school known by anyone to have one (strangely enough).

what I'm hoping is that when the battery dies, they give up, and give it to the lost & found of
our school. you never know what one might do. it may even end up in the trash.
or they may sell it (hopefully not).

yeah, its my fault for bringing it, but my 'friend's' for being completely insane and being the true cause of this mess. -.-
otherwise, i have had it for 3 years and have had no troubles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequentio View Post
If you have witness to the theft, then there are many possible grounds for action.
If you can prove the "thief" has stolen your MP3 player, then you have the grounds to contact the police to recover said item.
You also can involve the school - although I suggest against it, since they do not have the ability to do anything under law.
Yes, and i have 2 known witnesses, and have confronted the person in which they both pointed to, but she denies
everything, though no one else believes her.

my witnesses include: an acquaintance of mine, and someone who is a total stranger to both sides. i got his name today, and thankfully,
he is willing to participate in helping me retrieve it by telling what he saw to anyone that asks, being a witness. :)

Last edited by Pink Leon; 09-04-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:12 AM
Sequentio Offline

Quote:
well technically, it's my friend's fault, my fault, and the theif's fault.
My friend was the cause of the drop. now i already have suspects, and witnesses,
so do not say i wont see it again. it will be tough, but by some time, i may get it back.
plenty of people at our school have had issues very similar, and got their device
back. it isnt an ipod, fortunatally for me. the chances of the theif being able to
charge it when the battery dies are very slim, just as well as moving / adding / deleting files.
It's a Walkman mp3 player, with a custom usb cable for charging and
moving / adding / deleting songs and other media. i have the cable, and its
available only by purchase of the specific mp3 player, which must be shipped
by mail. I'm the only one in the school known by anyone to have one (strangely enough).

what I'm hoping is that when the battery dies, they give up, and give it to the lost & found of
our school. you never know what one might do. it may even end up in the trash.
or they may sell it (hopefully not).

yeah, its my fault for bringing it, but my 'friend's' for being completely insane and being the true cause of this mess. -.-
otherwise, i have had it for 3 years and have had no troubles.

Yes, and i have 2 known witnesses, and have confronted the person in which they both pointed to, but she denies
everything, though no one else believes her.

my witnesses include: an acquaintance of mine, and someone who is a total stranger to both sides. i got his name today, and thankfully,
he is willing to participate in helping me retrieve it by telling what he saw to anyone that asks, being a witness. :)
Never confront by yourself. You don't have the legal grounds to reposess your property. D:

So again, parents or the police would be the best option in pursuing the culprit. :3
Old 09-04-2009, 04:37 AM
Broderick Offline

Send a message via AIM to Broderick Send a message via MSN to Broderick

You see, this is why we have chained Wallets.
This needs to apply to everything. Chained iPod, chained Cell Phone, hell, Chained Lunch. 8]
Seriously though, I know at my high school this doesn't apply, that's why they have lockers and backpacks. I think the reason they don't, is that so many people say their things were "stolen", but then they find it under the couch the next week.

Last edited by Broderick; 09-04-2009 at 04:39 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Not to say that it'd be practical, but if the school is the culprit (like one of the teachers or something)... and the handbook says that it's not responsible... so... yeah. So I voted "illegal".

Though in most cases it's pretty much self-responsibility, still.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:30 AM
jeebus4life Offline
Experienced Trainer

Yeah my school is huge and thefts reported all the time so I would say you should be responsible of your own stuff and the school doesn't have to do anything about it.