Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:56 PM
KantoChamp46 Offline
Elite Trainer

Default Re: Fan Fiction Chat/Feedback

I'm writing a trainer fanfic, it's my first Pokemon fanfic altogether, actually. The link's in my sig. I have three chapters up so far and would really love to hear some more feedback on it so far. The beginning's more like a regular like the video-games story, with just the new trainer starting out, and it focuses more on the main character, Hayden's, personality, as well as his Pokemon. In the future, however, it's going to branch off from just a regular trainer fic. Also, it's set in the Kanto region, but it's my own take on the region. Some of the characters are the same, some are different, some aren't who they will be eventually, like Giovanni isn't the leader of Team Rocket and stuff like that. Check it out, because I'd love to have more readers and feedback because that can only make the story better!

98% of teens won't stand up for God. If you're one of the 2% who will, place this somewhere in your signature.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:28 AM
Syrynn Offline

Send a message via AIM to Syrynn Send a message via MSN to Syrynn

After what seems like forever, Feral Game has two new chapters! Possibly the best ones I've written yet, although that's debatable.

Rookie effort FTW!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Jellysound Offline

Send a message via ICQ to Jellysound Send a message via AIM to Jellysound Send a message via MSN to Jellysound Send a message via Yahoo to Jellysound

I'm making a comic, comment, reply; do that stuff you do!

It's the thread titled Paunchberry Explosion!

Apparently it's getting moved, to somewhere in the sprite section

still, Check it out!

Last edited by Jellysound; 09-08-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: New info
Old 09-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Camisado Offline

Send a message via ICQ to Camisado Send a message via AIM to Camisado Send a message via MSN to Camisado Send a message via Skype™ to Camisado

I just updated mine...for the first time in over a year! :'D

Long story short, I lost my original chapter three in some horrific file overwriting accident and lost the will to live. xD;

But there are some lovely people here at PE2K and one person has unwittingly encouraged me to complete my second chapter three, so...off we go again!

I've been away from PE2K for quite some time, but I'm back. =3 I always found this fanfiction forum to be a good deal more active and helpful than certain other popular boards. >>

Shamouti (companion site to fanfic) | Camisado.co.uk
Old 09-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Syrynn Offline

Wow, writer's block sucks.

Finally inched out chapter eleven in Feral Game, and you know what? All of a sudden, AGAIN my dreams bring out the plotline! It's freaking amazing what dreams do for me.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Giratina Offline

Most of my plotlines originate from lying in my bed, suffering from insomnia and trying to get to sleep. xD

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 09-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Camisado Offline

Send a message via ICQ to Camisado Send a message via AIM to Camisado Send a message via MSN to Camisado Send a message via Skype™ to Camisado

Man, it took so much willpower to finish that chapter. Do you get times when, even though you want more than anything to write your story in its entirety, some chapters of it are really, really difficult to write?

It doesn't really help that I'm a perfectionist. I've been reading back through that last chapter every couple of hours since I posted it up to make sure it sounds right and that I didn't miss anything. @_@ Then I'm always wondering "is this enough for a chapter? Did I use too much dialogue? Are my descriptive paragraphs too short? Did my spellchecker skip between US and UK again?"

What do you guys aim for when you write a chapter? Sometimes when I've got a particularly difficult chapter to write, I struggle to fill three (print view) pages in my word processor with the default font...but I think it's a good minimum amount.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:26 PM
KantoChamp46 Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camisado View Post
Man, it took so much willpower to finish that chapter. Do you get times when, even though you want more than anything to write your story in its entirety, some chapters of it are really, really difficult to write?

It doesn't really help that I'm a perfectionist. I've been reading back through that last chapter every couple of hours since I posted it up to make sure it sounds right and that I didn't miss anything. @_@ Then I'm always wondering "is this enough for a chapter? Did I use too much dialogue? Are my descriptive paragraphs too short? Did my spellchecker skip between US and UK again?"

What do you guys aim for when you write a chapter? Sometimes when I've got a particularly difficult chapter to write, I struggle to fill three (print view) pages in my word processor with the default font...but I think it's a good minimum amount.
I can totally relate to where you're coming from. Sometimes, it's just tough to write. Writer's block happens all the time, and usually at the worst moments lol. And then, once you post something, you're worried that it might not sound right or that you overdid/underdid something. I can relate with that, but my advice would be to just chill out about it. You're never going to get it entirely perfect, and if you can't find things wrong with it after a couple looks over, then you've likely done your best. And that's what other reviewers are here for - to help us to improve and point out mistakes that we just won't see by ourselves. So don't strive too heavily for perfection, because that way, it's easy to take criticism badly. It's not your fault if you screw something up or misspell a word or use a comma when you don't need to. Those kinds of things happen to the best of writers. That's why you have other people to point them out for you, because you just might not see them yourself.

Hope that helps :) And as far as length goes, I think three pages is a great minimum amount! I usually write 10-15 page chapters, but that's because I like book-size chapters and I generally end up having a lot more to write about the events of that chapter than I originally expected O_O I don't set a limit, minimum or maximum, for length. I just go with the flow. Hey, the first chapter for my fic was only about half a post long, and my recent chapters have been three to five posts long lol. It varies from writer to writer so I wouldn't worry too much about length, as long as you get the point across, relay the events that you want to happen in the chapter clearly, and it is well-writeen. It's about quality, not quantity. :)

98% of teens won't stand up for God. If you're one of the 2% who will, place this somewhere in your signature.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Camisado Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by KantoChamp46 View Post
I can totally relate to where you're coming from. Sometimes, it's just tough to write. Writer's block happens all the time, and usually at the worst moments lol. And then, once you post something, you're worried that it might not sound right or that you overdid/underdid something. I can relate with that, but my advice would be to just chill out about it. You're never going to get it entirely perfect, and if you can't find things wrong with it after a couple looks over, then you've likely done your best. And that's what other reviewers are here for - to help us to improve and point out mistakes that we just won't see by ourselves. So don't strive too heavily for perfection, because that way, it's easy to take criticism badly. It's not your fault if you screw something up or misspell a word or use a comma when you don't need to. Those kinds of things happen to the best of writers. That's why you have other people to point them out for you, because you just might not see them yourself.

Hope that helps :) And as far as length goes, I think three pages is a great minimum amount! I usually write 10-15 page chapters, but that's because I like book-size chapters and I generally end up having a lot more to write about the events of that chapter than I originally expected O_O I don't set a limit, minimum or maximum, for length. I just go with the flow. Hey, the first chapter for my fic was only about half a post long, and my recent chapters have been three to five posts long lol. It varies from writer to writer so I wouldn't worry too much about length, as long as you get the point across, relay the events that you want to happen in the chapter clearly, and it is well-writeen. It's about quality, not quantity. :)
You can probably only imagine how much I stressed out in my full-time year at college, writing my assignments. xD

Hmm, my first chapter was also pretty small. Some people suggested I call it the prologue, and I objected due to abuse of the term "prologue" on one of the other forums I used to frequent, where writers used it as an excuse to post one hastily-written paragraph - or less - for their first post. xD There are just some things that don't seem quite right in that particular chapter, y'know?

Honestly, in one way I hope it is fantastic, and in another respect I hope it isn't, because it seems the best-written fics never get any comments. I do enjoy getting feedback; this seems a bit of a twisted way to get it though, haha! On the other hand my perfectionist nature has stopped me from posting publicly for several years and now, I'm not sure how well I really would handle criticism. I'll see how it goes, because I'm a big girl now (xD), at least know it's in my best interests and that most of the people here are affable and fair.

Well...I hope I won't take another year's hiatus. It's people like you here at PE2K that encourage me to keep going so thank you, with all sincerity, for your thoughtful post. =)

Old 09-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Giratina Offline

Yes, I know what you mean too with the writing thing. I've been plotting out a new story for about four months now, and have gotten so many awesome things planned out for it, but I don't want to actually start on the writing because last time I tried I fell into a slump by chapter four. Thank goodness I didn't post that version. But if there's a certain scene you just can't bear to write, try to think of what you have planned for right after the scene ends - or even add some more to the scene itself. Anything to get you excited about writing the chapter, to make you really want to do it so that your readers will get the absolute best of that maybe-imperfect scenario. It's all about motivation, really...

...Well, at least that's what I've found. Also, I tend to average around five pages of ten-point Verdana a chapter (but some have gone up to seven or eight), and prologues... I don't like prologues. Not sure why, I just don't like to write them. I also have a tendency to find prologues incredibly boring and skip around, but that's a different story.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 09-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camisado View Post

Honestly, in one way I hope it is fantastic, and in another respect I hope it isn't, because it seems the best-written fics never get any comments. I do enjoy getting feedback; this seems a bit of a twisted way to get it though, haha! On the other hand my perfectionist nature has stopped me from posting publicly for several years and now, I'm not sure how well I really would handle criticism. I'll see how it goes, because I'm a big girl now (xD), at least know it's in my best interests and that most of the people here are affable and fair.

Well...I hope I won't take another year's hiatus. It's people like you here at PE2K that encourage me to keep going so thank you, with all sincerity, for your thoughtful post. =)
The people here are great when it comes to writing fanfiction. I've been writing fanfiction (in the URPG section) here at Pe2K for over two years, and I can honestly say my writing has tremendously improved. :D

Eww, writer's block sucks. Giratina is totally right; you should find something that makes you excited for writing the chapter or scene. That way, you enjoy writing it, and the readers will just know that you had a fun time writing that part because it will show through your writing. :) 'Course, if you absolutely cannot find a way to write it, you can always take a break and do some other things. Forcing yourself to write is a big no-no, in my opinion, because your writing will be forced and just a half-hearted attempt.

Write now, I'm planning a fan fiction, and I'm really gonna try to make the chapters lengthy. Writing in the UPRG has gotten me in the habit of condensing events and plots depending on the Pokemon I'm writing for. I'm breaking the habit! Tonight! :o

Anyway, good luck with your fanfiction, Camisado! ^-^

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 09-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Kat View Post
Write now, I'm planning a fan fiction, and I'm really gonna try to make the chapters lengthy. Writing in the UPRG has gotten me in the habit of condensing events and plots depending on the Pokemon I'm writing for. I'm breaking the habit! Tonight! :o

Anyway, good luck with your fanfiction, Camisado! ^-^

- Kat
Oh, looky, Kat. You said 'write now'. XD 'Tis funny!

And I'll be looking forward to your non-condensed ficcy. =3

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 09-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Syrynn Offline

Chapter twelve is up! The Feral Game is afoot!

:3
Old 09-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post
Oh, looky, Kat. You said 'write now'. XD 'Tis funny!

And I'll be looking forward to your non-condensed ficcy. =3
Hehe, at least it wasn't some weird spelling error. :P

:3 Yay, I got somebody interested. I'm pretty psyched about it, as well. I have most of it planned, chapter by chapter. Here's a summary I wrote yesterday. Pretty vague, but I think the vagueness might piqued people's interest.

Quote:
Three hundred years ago, the Pokémon World was on the brink of chaos when Kanto and Sinnoh butted heads in the Region War of 1709. The true horror was brewing above the clouds, however. Legendaries, those who ruled the Earth side by side, began to lust for power. Those who tried to stop them were hunted down. Those who saw remained silent.

Through the greed and bloodshed, Mark Antony, a young but harsh lieutenant of a Johtonian regiment, and Cleo Dario, a girl whose ancestors have been renowned for their seer abilities, meet and have promised to protect each other. Can two very different people really look out for each other, especially when the three worlds of Purgatory, Heaven, and Earth start to collapse upon each other?
- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce

Last edited by Phantom Kat; 09-19-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Kat View Post
Hehe, at least it wasn't some weird spelling error. :P

:3 Yay, I got somebody interested. I'm pretty psyched about it, as well. I have most of it planned, chapter by chapter. Here's a summary I wrote yesterday. Pretty vague, but I think the vagueness might piqued people's interest.

- Kat
It was a pretty cool error if you ask me.

And yup. I enjoy your writing. =3 Just make sure you don't quit halfway through like some people do. ^^' I've seen it happen an awful lot.

Aww, that sounds cool! xD I'm not one for war stories...I really don't like them...but this sounds okay. ^^ I'll read it!

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links