Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:35 AM
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun
Default Re: Should you have the right to die?

If you're on the fence here, you need to think about whether or not you'd want to be lying in a hospital bed like a sack of potatoes, with a terminal illness and possibly life-limiting conditions such paralysis and the like. I personally wouldn't want to wait around if it was me. One of the biggest issues here is whether the patient would make a rash decision, or is mentally ill which could influence their decision etc. I say that, if the patient is mentally well and their decision is solely their own, then they should be allowed to be put to rest.
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

iamnotyou11 (00:41:35): scrotom?

ASB|URPG

Old 09-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Seawolf Offline
I has a stik

Send a message via AIM to Seawolf

Ugh, I wish I didn't notice this topic...

A week ago, I had to euthanize my pet rat. He had developed a respiratory disease and he was gasping for air for nearly two days straight; it was pretty clear that he would die a slow and horrible death if something wasn't done. Now, I realize that he was an animal, but it's strange to me that we can give our pets a gentle death, yet we cannot do the same with our loved ones. If I was in a situation where I had a terminal illness that was killing me slowly and painfully, I think I should have the right to choose when to die. Personally, I think keeping someone alive in that sort of situation is way more unethical than letting them pass on in peace.

That's just my two cents.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 PM
-Holland- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to -Holland- Send a message via MSN to -Holland- Send a message via Yahoo to -Holland-

I won't bring up any specific examples, but I've witnessed a situation like this before. If someone is subject to a terminal illness or is approaching imminent death, I believe that they have every right to end their life at their discretion if they are at peace with their thoughts. There's no reason to prolong a life that's accepted its own death. Frankly, this "merciful" death makes more sense between humans than it does between us and animals, as humans can come to a mutual understanding and can effectively communicate with one another. Why is it that we can convey that empathy so easily with animals? Perhaps it is because it's too hard for some to accept the death of another, but in general, I think people need to accept the fact that we all die; not as a pretense of forthcoming doom but rather as a testament to the fact that life is worth it.

My Battle Log
Old 09-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Yes, obviously, if you are in great suffering, there's like no way to reverse it, and you want to die, and you're mentally sound enough to make this decision. Funny how here, the animals have it better than us. :O