Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Predicted changes in orbital forcing suggest that the next glacial period would begin at least 50,000 years from now, even in absence of human-made global warming [28] (see Milankovitch cycles
It's predicted that the next Ice Age would begin after a time period longer than human civilization. It's "imminent" in geological terms. In human terms? No.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 08-09-2009, 03:56 PM
MustangGT Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via ICQ to MustangGT Send a message via AIM to MustangGT Send a message via Yahoo to MustangGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
A very convincing argument indeed.
If we could graph out temperatures of the whole time the earth was in existence, even just since humans up, you'll see it's gone through MANY temperature swings. This is just another, no big deal

Old 08-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
If we could graph out temperatures of the whole time the earth was in existence, even just since humans up, you'll see it's gone through MANY temperature swings. This is just another, no big deal
You would also note that the current CO2 levels are unprecedented in history or prehistory and that the current temperature increase rate is as well.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 08-09-2009, 04:52 PM
MustangGT Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via ICQ to MustangGT Send a message via AIM to MustangGT Send a message via Yahoo to MustangGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
You would also note that the current CO2 levels are unprecedented in history or prehistory and that the current temperature increase rate is as well.
This is true. But these C02 levels are still much lower than they were in the times of the dinosaurs, which I'd like to believe Humans could live in. But I can't be too sure.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
This is true. But these C02 levels are still much lower than they were in the times of the dinosaurs, which I'd like to believe Humans could live in. But I can't be too sure.
That was kept in check by the enormous amounts of plant life. Plant life that no longer exists due to deforestation.

Art Gallery
Old 08-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Camisado Offline

Send a message via ICQ to Camisado Send a message via AIM to Camisado Send a message via MSN to Camisado Send a message via Skype™ to Camisado

I've been well informed by a couple of books that global warming is the result of normal peaks and troughs in the Earth's temperature due to ice ages. We're on our way out of one, but our polluting habits have sped it up, or amplified the temperatures. I'm pretty sure the peaks turn into troughs each five million years, or something.

Another thing was that Europe used to be covered in trees, which have largely been cut down and the areas populated. I rather imagine this has happened across other continents too...so basically we're removing heck of a lot of the useful plant life that would convert CO2 back into O2.

I don't claim to be completely right on this information, before someone starts to argue against me xD;

Shamouti (companion site to fanfic) | Camisado.co.uk
Old 08-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synester View Post
Responses in bold :P. It seems to me that you think this is just some big old conspircy :P
And what's the problem with that? Everyone believes in a conspiracy, whether they know it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khajmer View Post
Geoffrey say what now? The bulb in the light above me has lasted for a year, and I'm always in this basement so it's on more than most household lights. You must have gotten a low quality one.
No, we usually go for high quality with my family. Those bulbs that say that they can last almost a decade lasted me seven months. We don't use that light that much, as well. Yes, every day, but only for an hour or two.

Quote:
Everyone wants money. They don't say it makes the world go 'round for no reason. And yet people still do things for free, so why shouldn't a television station?
They do it for free because it advertises them. It's to their advantage, not only the people receiving the services. They may lose a few viewers, but some will be gained in the process.

Quote:
Incidentally, it's not people watching tv that makes TV stations money, it's sponsors. Sponsors choose television stations to advertise on based on ratings. If a viewer sees Nickelodeon or NBC or some other station and promotions of being green or keeping in shape, and makes the decision to do it, it's not just those stations that lose some ratings, it's every station that that viewer watches.
If a station loses viewers for any reason, and a sponsor hears about it, wouldn't you move your advertising to a different station that has more viewers? My point exactly.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:32 AM
Synester Offline

Send a message via AIM to Synester

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Requiem of Verities View Post
[FONT="Tahoma"]

No, we usually go for high quality with my family. Those bulbs that say that they can last almost a decade lasted me seven months. We don't use that light that much, as well. Yes, every day, but only for an hour or two.
FONT]
Dude =\. You had to have usd some cheap one. They gave out free light bulbs to my little brother when he was 5th grade to every grade in everclass for Earth Day, he is now going to 9th, and I still use that exact same light bulb. Its possibly the most used light in my house, considering thats where the family computer is.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector

I'd just like to say that here, in India, we use florescent bulbs more than we use incandescent bulbs. The bulb in my room has been there for the past six years and it's still going strong. Only two florescent bulbs in our house have been spoiled, and one because of a really bad power fluctuation during last year's monsoon. And any bulb would get spoiled during bad fluctuations. Maybe, Geoffry, you're going through bad fluctuations?

Secondly, television screens and computer monitors use up less energy than your average light bulbs. Put it together with the speakers and whatever else you might use with your televisions and computers, we're talking about the same amount of energy as say, one and a half light bulbs. If you're so worried about that much energy then you really shouldn't be using any light bulbs either. Just thought I'd mention that.

Now, once again, we find ourselves at each others' throats, arguing about whether or not Global Warming is a human-created problem or a natural phase of the Earth's life. There's more than enough evidence to show that both the Earth and us humans are contributing to the rise, so it makes sense that we're both at fault? Of course, if you think it's a conspiracy theory, then you really need to go do some research and look at temperature charts. The mercury's been rising, and no one can deny that. It's the cause that we're trying to find out.

Electric cars are a good step towards change, but they're not a permanent solution. You're still burning fossil fuels to create the electricity which is being used to power the cars. Admittedly, it released less carbon monoxide (which becomes carbon dioxide) and that's why I said it's a good step. Hydrogen cars, again, will lower the carbon dioxide percentages in the air, but what do hydrogen cars release? H2O. Water vapour. And as much as we'd like to think that's a good thing, not only is water vapour a GHG, but it also sends humidity levels through the roof – for obvious reasons.

Really, what we need is, like everyone's been saying, sustainable sources of energy – the sun, wind, hydroelectricity. Even the great thermals that reach down to the core of the Earth, if we can find a way to harness this energy.

However, at the moment, creating power from these sources is expensive and it creates less power than burning fossil fuels or nuclear power plants. Everything needs to be taken in steps. We need to go forth with these ideas in mind, but know that we can't achieve them any time soon. They will take time. That's just how everything works.

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Old 08-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Requiem of Verities View Post
Then guess what Geoffrey. You got ripped off. You didn't get a proper fluorescent bulb, you got some cheap knock-off that was sold to you for the price of a fluorescent bulb. We all keep telling you, we have flourescent bulbs that have lasted us for years, that's one testimony against three. They work, you got a bad bulb.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Global warming ain't real. The works goes thru temperature fluctuations, we're just on the upswing right now. That's all
That's pretty much a contradiction. Even if it's natural, even if it's part of a cycle, it's still global warming. Just that if you were right, we played no part in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspector View Post
Electric cars are a good step towards change, but they're not a permanent solution. You're still burning fossil fuels to create the electricity which is being used to power the cars. Admittedly, it released less carbon monoxide (which becomes carbon dioxide) and that's why I said it's a good step. Hydrogen cars, again, will lower the carbon dioxide percentages in the air, but what do hydrogen cars release? H2O. Water vapour. And as much as we'd like to think that's a good thing, not only is water vapour a GHG, but it also sends humidity levels through the roof – for obvious reasons.
Actually, carbon monoxide doesn't just undergo oxidation to form carbon dioxide. (Assuming it does.) I think it's more likely that carbon monoxide will kill you first. :X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspector View Post
Really, what we need is, like everyone's been saying, sustainable sources of energy – the sun, wind, hydroelectricity. Even the great thermals that reach down to the core of the Earth, if we can find a way to harness this energy.

However, at the moment, creating power from these sources is expensive and it creates less power than burning fossil fuels or nuclear power plants. Everything needs to be taken in steps. We need to go forth with these ideas in mind, but know that we can't achieve them any time soon. They will take time. That's just how everything works.
Don't worry, we're working towards it. ;)