Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Finch Offline
Inazuma

Send a message via Skype™ to Finch
Default Re: Underage Drinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
They're totally right about alcohol relieving strees. I know for a fact that I'm a very happy, carefree drunk :D
Not everybody is. I don't get drunk anymore because it brings out my violent side.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 PM
R2D2 Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Marijuana is commonly referred to as a "gateway" drug because it's less intense and more available than things like ecstasy, cocaine, etc. However, after you're hooked on marijuana, it will eventually start to lose its effect on you (you have to take more to get the same effect) causing you to switch to more intense drugs.
You give the drug too much credit -- "hooked on marijuana... causing you to switch to more intense drugs".

Although marijuana can cause minor dependency, its effects are less than nicotine and tobacco. I don't think any rational person would argue any drug is 100% safe, but my point is as follows: Tobacco, a more harmful and addictive substance than marijuana, is currently legal. Perhaps we should rethink why that drug is legal while marijuana is not.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:40 AM
MustangGT Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via ICQ to MustangGT Send a message via AIM to MustangGT Send a message via Yahoo to MustangGT

Finch, that sucks buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
You give the drug too much credit -- "hooked on marijuana... causing you to switch to more intense drugs".

Although marijuana can cause minor dependency, its effects are less than nicotine and tobacco. I don't think any rational person would argue any drug is 100% safe, but my point is as follows: Tobacco, a more harmful and addictive substance than marijuana, is currently legal. Perhaps we should rethink why that drug is legal while marijuana is not.
Tobaccos greatest effect is a lightheaded effect, while weed will change how you're thinking when your high.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:04 AM
Finch Offline
Inazuma

Send a message via Skype™ to Finch

Quote:
Finch, that sucks buddy

Tobaccos greatest effect is a lightheaded effect, while weed will change how you're thinking when your high.
It doesn't really suck. I enjoy drinking in moderation. And this brings me back to what I was saying earlier- even underage drinking can be handled in a decent way if supervised properly.

(This also brings us back to the topic of discussion. Ahem.)
Old 08-07-2009, 01:59 AM
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear

Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott

This isn't a thread to brag about the drinking or drugs you do, folks. It's supposed to be a discussion.

I don't agree with underage drinking because kids are usually too stupid to be allowed to. No, I'm not saying all adults are smart enough, but it at least gives a chance for some to mature. Can't ask people in one by one and give them a stupid test to see if they should be allowed to drink. I'd rather not be worried about idiots trying to rape each other or getting each other pregnant. Or, worse yet, driving around like a fool.

But hell, if you can do it right (with friends, no driving, etc.) I don't really care.

"God, my brilliance is now somewhat of a burden. Get back to me."
Old 08-07-2009, 04:27 AM
R2D2 Offline
Banned

Quote:
Finch, that sucks buddy

I was referring to the dependency tobacco creates being greater than that of marijuana -- I didn't intend to compare a stimulant's and hallucinogen's psychological effects whilst using the drugs.

Marijuana is less physically harmful. Smokers of marijuana tend to experience less severe respiratory problems, and are less likely to become physically addicted. It's long-term negative effects are, therefore, less than tobacco's. This has been demonstrated in numerous scientific studies.

Additionally, one cannot argue that it is illegal because it changes how you think: alcohol does that as well when one is drunk.

I don't support youth getting their hands on any substance, but I see no reason to limit adults from any of these substances. Regardless of age, some people misuse alcohol (becoming alcoholics, driving while under the influence, destroying their livers). Likewise, some people smoke too much and suffer those negative effects. Whether putting themselves or others at risk, this behavior is immature and society should move to prevent it. However, in a comparison, there's no good reason for weed to be illegal if alcohol and tobacco remain legal.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
However, in a comparison, there's no good reason for weed to be illegal if alcohol and tobacco remain legal.
The reason is that tobacco and alcohol are much more widespread than weed ever was. Hence, it would be much harder to ban them. The government has learned its lesson from trying to ban alcohol.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
They're called neighborhoods, parking lots, and woods.

Find me a spot on here that's usable for sports, that ISNT mother f'ing farmland. This map is a 5-7 mile radius from some random spot in my neighborhood. The red circle is the nearest shopping center. It's got somewhere to eat, somewhere to get your hair cut, and a supermarket, among a few other things. My school is another 3-4 miles south of the red circle.
Well, I'd need to know what represents what first.

You mean you can't play just outside the woods? Or wherever you played when you were younger?

Quote:
Moving along here, are you American? Have you ever been to somewhere that's not in the urban jungle? Are you going to ride a bike 10+ miles a day just to hang with your friends? And that doesn't even count if you wanna go somewhere. Don't pull out this "It's not just McDonald's" sh*t with me, because it's not. If you're european, you have mass transit that WORKS. The nearest city bus stop to me? 15 miles down a 4-6 lane, 55 mph road with erratic sidewalks, at best. There's no way to say in respect Americans are becoming obese, and then blame something we do. It's obvious that people who want more food are getting it, it happens. We can't just go "Hey I wanna pop down to the store real quick to go pick something up" and then continue to walk out our front door and go get it, unless we want to be gone for 2+ hours. I don't know about you, but there's a lot I can do in 2 or more hours, and I'd rather not spend it walking to the store to get something trivial like tooth paste or soap. Any other questions?
Even so, what about the car? And does that mean you needed to drive a car to school or to the stores when you were younger?

Quote:
I agree with you here, just making it illegal won't stop people. But, there are still dry counties* in the south. Most notably, the county where Jack Daniel's Whiskey is made.

* Dry county - County where sales of alcohol are illegal, consumption is still legal.
So what does that have to do with the argument again?

Quote:
You need more than just space to play ball. All that space is taken up by either endless seas of generic housing or, if you live further away from the city, farmland.
Then it should be possible to improvise, right?

Quote:
Living in a suburb? You wanna cycle 10-20 miles to get to downtown, where your job is likely to be?
Well, I wouldn't mind cycling that far every day. The distance is overrated. Besides, if you did it from young, it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Quote:
And yes, the popularity of alcohol skyrocketed during Prohibition.
So tell me again why people who didn't drink when it was legal did so when it wasn't?

Quote:
The reason is that tobacco and alcohol are much more widespread than weed ever was. Hence, it would be much harder to ban them. The government has learned its lesson from trying to ban alcohol.
Prohibition, right?

Wait. How did they get so widespread in the first place? And to differing extents? :O
Old 08-13-2009, 11:51 AM
-Zodeon Offline

I think its fine, where i live there are multiple places to go hang out with a few beers and some music. Depends how underage you are I guess, we probably started drinking at 15? I think anything under that is bad.

Binge drinking is seen as a huge problem in england though from what I understand so maybe I have a bias opinion living here.

0989 7772 7033
Old 08-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng View Post

You mean you can't play just outside the woods? Or wherever you played when you were younger?
Lol, there are no woods.

Quote:
Even so, what about the car? And does that mean you needed to drive a car to school or to the stores when you were younger?
Either you take the school bus or your parents drive you. If you want to go to the store you need a car.

Quote:
If you live in suburban America, the only things within walking or biking range are more houses. Backyards and driveways don't make for great playgrounds.

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't mind cycling that far every day. The distance is overrated. Besides, if you did it from young, it shouldn't be a problem, right?
Lol. You wouldn't mind cycling 4 hours a day? Besides the physical problems involved, you arrive at work tired, stinky, sweaty, unpleasant to be around, and moreover, if you need to carry more than just a little bit of stuff to work, biking doesn't work.

Quote:
So tell me again why people who didn't drink when it was legal did so when it wasn't?
Because people drink alcohol for fun. It's more fun when it's illegal.

Quote:
Wait. How did they get so widespread in the first place? And to differing extents? :O
Alcohol was a staple of Europe. Tobacco was America's first cash crop. Marijuana wasn't discovered by Westerners until much later.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 08-15-2009, 11:04 PM
MustangGT Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via ICQ to MustangGT Send a message via AIM to MustangGT Send a message via Yahoo to MustangGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng View Post

We can and do. Me and my friends have a whole area just for us. It's on the creek, has tarps hung from trees making a roof, has a table, chairs, a couch and is secluded. But when it's 95 out with 90%+ humidity, staying down there for any longer than 5 minutes leads to you being literally drenched in sweat. It'll be rolling off your face and everything.

School was handled by the bus or my bike in elementary school. Stores - I only got to go to if my parents were going to them anyway. I wanted a CD or something, it was "wait till we're going to walmart for food, and we'll get it then. Clothes? Same thing. Anything I wanted they almost always had to be going already. Gamestop, for example is downtown, about 15-20 miles away. I'd get down there once in a blue moon, even if I'd been waiting for 3 months. The car enables me to do stuff without my parents. And you have no way of knowing how great that is until you've actually done it.

So what does that have to do with the argument again?
Nothing. That was just a fact I added in that I thought was interesting

Yeah, it's possible. But when you want to play football, soccer, baseball or the like, and can't, that just sucks.

I don't know about you, but after biking 10 miles, I'm pretty well coated with sweat. I live in the hot and humid south (Florida). Unless it's winter and the temps are 70 or so for the high, biking is not a feasible thing. You'd need to shower after you got to where you were going just to be presentable. Not to mention the extra time and fact that not many places have public showers.
Answers in bold.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Cobalt Shadow Offline

Send a message via MSN to Cobalt Shadow Send a message via Skype™ to Cobalt Shadow

I think underage drinking is bad. Nothing good comes out of getting drunk at parties and stuff. All it leads to is brawls, car accidents when drunk teens run onto thje road and crap like tha, teenage pregnancies which mostlikely end in an abortion, Embarrasment and eventually someone will get a beer bottle smashed on their head and will end up with a concussion or die. For what? A few measly hours of "fun" and false self confidence as well as a headache in the morning? It is a waste of time and money as well as the families of thos idiots have to suffer for it. Some good huh?

Dragotech, Eternal Moonlight and I are the PE2k Wolf Pack! Fear Fredward the Sparklepire, Bidoof the Soulless and Slenderfairy!
Banner Made by Me
Old 08-22-2009, 10:38 PM
MustangGT Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

New thought. Legalize it all. Those who don't wanna use it won't, those who do will. And keep enforcing DUI and the like

Old 08-28-2009, 07:04 AM
21tctrade Offline
Banned

I don't encourage that. I prefer juice too. For health sake.