Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Atropos Offline
Master Trainer

Default A Good Trainer Fic?

I wanted to start doing a trainer fic, but the thing about them is that nine out of ten times, they FAIL. I kinda wanted it to be set in a different region, of my own creation, but that brings up another problem. The Fakemon. Should I make up 5th generation Pokemon, or should I just use 4th generation Pokemon? It would be nice to have Fakemon, but real Pokemon makes it easier for people to understand. I really don't want it set in any of the regions right now...

So, I guess I just wanted to know what ideas do you have that can make a good trainer fic and still use a made-up region at the same time?
Old 07-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Chaos Rush Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default Re: A Good Trainer Fic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
Should I make up 5th generation Pokemon, or should I just use 4th generation Pokemon?
What's so bad about 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Generation Pokemon O_o...

In my opinion, I don't like fakemon, since er...they just seem cheesy I guess. We don't even know what they look like.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

I think the reason most trainer fics fail is because most of them are cookie cutters, molded from the same plot and events: trainer gets new Pokemon, travels, joins up with trainers, beats gyms, and makes a rival. Since everybody knows what's going to happen, nobody bothers reading, which is why very few trainer fics are liked. I suggest, if you want to write a trainer fic, add some unique elements that will catch people offguard. Maybe the trainer is terminally ill and wants to beat all the gyms in his region before dying. Maybe somewhere along the journey, his parents get murdered, and he turns from a trainer trying to get to the league to a trainer who is out for the murderers. Meh, just a few a examples for you to catch my drift. In a nutshell, the more you stray from the "trainer starts out and beats every gym while having friends and a rival", the more people will be interested in reading.

As for your own region and Fakemon, I don't see a problem with it as long as you describe the fakemon and the cities (people will still get on your case about describing the Pokemon and cities we know anyway). Really, it's your choice and may not make that much of a difference in the long run.

And those are my two cents. x3

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 07-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Atropos Offline
Master Trainer

Thanks a million! I don't think I'll use Fakemon then, just existing ones. But, I definantly won't stick to the preset mold as much as others... OFF TO BRAINSTORMING!

Last edited by Atropos; 07-16-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:39 PM
ShionRasenka Offline

Send a message via AIM to ShionRasenka Send a message via Skype™ to ShionRasenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Kat View Post
Maybe the trainer is terminally ill and wants to beat all the gyms in his region before dying. Maybe somewhere along the journey, his parents get murdered, and he turns from a trainer trying to get to the league to a trainer who is out for the murderers.
- Kat
Those two examples are EXACTLY what I'm using in my own Fanfic I'm plotting right now! Although my character and her siblings' parents were killed BEFORE the start of the fic, rather than during it, but it's the same idea. My character Shion, the main one out of the main characters, has a disease unique to her race (no she's NOT human! XD) called Obsidian, which basically destroys the body's organs (lungs, heart, stomach, etc.) over time, and eventually it will kill her. I have yet to decide what the cure will be. XD YES, there will be cure, because I need her alive obviously for various reasons. XD

Anyways, maybe your main character has a relative that leads or is part of an evil orginization, and they have to stop that relative and orginization from doing whatever it is they're plotting to do??? Just another idea, which is another one I'm using myself in my rp.

EDIT: WHOO, 190TH POST!!! JUST 10 MORE TILL 200!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 03:30 AM
Kendo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Kendo

I've decided to write a generic trainer fic, just so it freakin' gets completed. But the reason most fail is probably their cookie-cutter-ness and loss of reader interest. On other forums I've gotten good comments, probably because of the anime battling style I try and incorporate.

Basically, try and do something insanely well, or do something that's not been done before. Not saying I write insanely well. We all make mistakes. :F
IT'S NOT VALENTINE'S DAY.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:00 AM
Smuds Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via ICQ to Smuds Send a message via AIM to Smuds Send a message via MSN to Smuds Send a message via Yahoo to Smuds

It'd be easier to use a cookie cutted plot such as a trainer fic so you get used to writing. THAN you could move on to more advanced stuff and add twists like whoever a few people above me mentioned. And in your cookie cut plot, you could do something abnormal. Such as, oh I don't know... Actually have the main character get beat once or twice :P? I mean, that would make SOMETHING different than the normal brand fan fics. And once your like, a master at writing, AND ONLY THEN should you use fakemon. Because really, say a brown turtle as a fakemon, who knows what people will think of. You have to show every little detail without putting like, 1,000 words into one pokemon. Very difficult. While none of this probably made sense... I leave you with guidance. DUF! Don't. Use. Fakemon. :D.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:28 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

I think trainer fics can be done well, especially if there is some other major plot to it besides battles/gyms/league/etc. It would have to have a good plot, interesting characters, interesting events (besides just the gyms and battles) to make it a fun story to read (and to write, of course).

So my advice is to give your trainer fic not only a new plot, but have lots of sub-plots and twists going on during the story. Possibly a good idea would be to include some kind of mystery in the story, and include subtle clues about it along the way that keep the readers guessing.

About fakemon, while I know many people do not like them, I see that as no reason to not write about them if that is what you want to do. I've seen fakemon used in fics very well, so I wouldn't automatically rule them out as "bad" in a fic. My advice would be to not only describe them well, but to introduce different species slowly over the course of the fic. Too many at once may confuse a reader or lead them to keep forgetting what is what if you don't describe them often. Throw in a good mix of existing pokemon as well, and if you can, I'd probably draw a picture of each of the fakemon or at least make a sprite to post before your chapters to give people an idea of what they look like. While it's not really necessary and shouldn't replace description, pictures can be helpful.

As for a made up region, like the fakemon, it should be described well and include many interesting and unique places. I personally love made up regions and think they are very enjoyable when done well.

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Old 08-14-2009, 06:09 AM
Smuds Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via ICQ to Smuds Send a message via AIM to Smuds Send a message via MSN to Smuds Send a message via Yahoo to Smuds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
I think trainer fics can be done well, especially if there is some other major plot to it besides battles/gyms/league/etc. It would have to have a good plot, interesting characters, interesting events (besides just the gyms and battles) to make it a fun story to read (and to write, of course).

So my advice is to give your trainer fic not only a new plot, but have lots of sub-plots and twists going on during the story. Possibly a good idea would be to include some kind of mystery in the story, and include subtle clues about it along the way that keep the readers guessing.

About fakemon, while I know many people do not like them, I see that as no reason to not write about them if that is what you want to do. I've seen fakemon used in fics very well, so I wouldn't automatically rule them out as "bad" in a fic. My advice would be to not only describe them well, but to introduce different species slowly over the course of the fic. Too many at once may confuse a reader or lead them to keep forgetting what is what if you don't describe them often. Throw in a good mix of existing pokemon as well, and if you can, I'd probably draw a picture of each of the fakemon or at least make a sprite to post before your chapters to give people an idea of what they look like. While it's not really necessary and shouldn't replace description, pictures can be helpful.

As for a made up region, like the fakemon, it should be described well and include many interesting and unique places. I personally love made up regions and think they are very enjoyable when done well.
Well, yeah, any plot with like, a bunch of twists will definatly excite the reader. The only reason I say not to use Fakemon yet is because they're hard to describe without taking up to much room, while normal Pokemon, obviously don't take up alot of room. Good idea about making the sprite.