Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Garlana Offline
New Trainer

Default RMT OU (first ever team)

Hello there, i am pretty new to competitive battling so i have decided to post my team up here for some constructive critisism.

My First OU Team:

Infernape @ Focus Sash (lead)
Blaze
Naive
252 SpAtk / 192 Spe / 64 Atk
Close Combat
Fire Blast
Fake out
Stealth Rock

I have tested this a few times and i have also heard how successful it can be from a few others, general tactic seems straight forward, Fake out to ruin opponents focus sash then set up your stealth rock, after being hit Blaze will activate for an even more powerful fire blast, Close combat is there as another powerful stab move.

Tyranitar @leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/64 Atk/24 Spd/168 SAtk
Quiet nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Standard TyraniBoah from Smogon, have not had much of a chance to use this badboy yet but i've seen the damage it can do.

Scizor
Adamant @ choice band
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
~ U-turn / X-Scissor
~ Bullet Punch
~ Superpower / Brick Break
~ Pursuit

Standard Choice Band Scizor set from Smogon. Again i havent had chance to test this guy really but i have a personal love for this pokemon so it just seemed like a must.

Gengar@ Choice Specs
Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Energy Ball
~ Shadow Ball
~ Thunderbolt
~ Focus Blast

I mainly chose Gengar as it also is a personal favourite and it has always worked well for me, its fast, hits hard and can be brought in on an earthquake or a fighting move.
I personally chose to use Energy Ball due to the lack of grass moves on my team.

Bronzong@leftovers
252 HP / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SpD
0 ivs in speed
~ Trick Room
~ Earthquake
~ Gyro Ball
~ Explosion

A neccesary pokemon for my team as it helps to wall, it hits fairly hard (especially with Gyro ball) can use trick room to give itself, Scizor and Tyranitar a speed boost if needed and can also go out with a huge bang with explosion. Earthquake to unsuspecting fires.

Gyarados@Life Orb
Adamant 252hp 252att 4hp
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Stone Edge
~ Earthquake

A proven menace...

Like i have said, this is my first team and i realise that their are many weaknesses, hopefully the more experianced of you can help enlighten me and suggest some ways forward.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Garlana; 06-05-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Broderick Offline

Send a message via AIM to Broderick Send a message via MSN to Broderick
Default Re: RMT OU (first ever team)

One thing I notice is that you have Trick Room on Bronzong.
...No. Don't do that. What happends if Tyranitar, Bronzong, or Scizor can't do anything to the opponent that switches in, hm? Then you're screwed if they are slower than you. *coughrhyperiorcough* I mean you have SPEED EV's on the pokemon you want in Trick Room just because they are standard smogon EV's.
Replace TR with Hypnosis. Once the opponent is asleep, it will be easier for Gyarados to switch in and get a possible sweep going. Bronzong is also bulky enough to not be hit too hard if it misses once or twice.
Now, another thing: Gengar. If you're gonna choice Gengar, scarf it by all means. You have no effective revenge killer on this team except for Scizor, and Bullet Punch doesn't have the best coverage. You need something that can come in after Gyarados DD's once or twice. Scizor fails to even 2HKO with CB Bullet Punch after Gyarados takes 1 stealth rock damage iirc, but ScarfGar can OHKO with Thunderbolt. Gyarados is always faster than max speed Gengar after a DD anyway.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Tranquil Leafeon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Tranquil Leafeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlana View Post
Hello there, i am pretty new to competitive battling so i have decided to post my team up here for some constructive critisism.

My First OU Team:

Infernape @ Focus Sash (lead)
Blaze
Naive
252 SpAtk / 192 Spe / 64 Atk
Close Combat
Fire Blast
Fake out
Stealth Rock

I have tested this a few times and i have also heard how successful it can be from a few others, general tactic seems straight forward, Fake out to ruin opponents focus sash then set up your stealth rock, after being hit Blaze will activate for an even more powerful fire blast, Close combat is there as another powerful stab move.

Good.

Tyranitar @leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/64 Atk/24 Spd/168 SAtk
Quiet nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Standard TyraniBoah from Smogon, have not had much of a chance to use this badboy yet but i've seen the damage it can do.

Looks good.

Scizor
Adamant @ choice band
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
~ U-turn / X-Scissor
~ Bullet Punch
~ Superpower / Brick Break
~ Pursuit

Standard Choice Band Scizor set from Smogon. Again i havent had chance to test this guy really but i have a personal love for this pokemon so it just seemed like a must.

The moves I bolded are the ones that are usually superior. U-Turn is better since it lets you escape from Magnezone and scouts the opposing team. X-Scissor has 15 more base power after STAB, but U-Turn is better because of its added effects. Superpower is usually better since it hits much harder and CB Scizor is a hit and run Pokemon, meaning that the drops won't matter to you very much. Brick Break works if you absolutely fear the drops, but it can't always OHKO Heatran, one of Scizor's worst enemies, on the switch even with SR damage. Superpower can do that, and OHKO Magnezone on the switch, which Brick Break also fails to do.

Gengar@Choice Scarf
Timid/Modest
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Energy Ball
~ Shadow Ball
~ Thunderbolt
~ Focus Blast

I mainly chose Gengar as it also is a personal favourite and it has always worked well for me, its fast, hits hard and can be brought in on an earthquake or a fighting move.
I personally chose to use Energy Ball due to the lack of grass moves on my team.

You already have a good Special attacker, so Scarfing Gengar doesn't make you lose anything vital and gives you a great revenge killer who can check many of the threats in the current metagame. Modest gives you more power, but Timid lets you outspeed and revenge kill all Scarfed base 100s and neutral scarfed base 120s, +1 Naive DDMence, and +2 Adamant Gyarados, which is quite useful. You can OHKO Gyarados with Thunderbolt, and Shadow Ball does 58% on average to standard DDMence, so you can kill that after it switches in to SR and attacks twice. (Assuming Timid Nature. The KOs are guaranteed with Modest.)

Bronzong@leftovers
Sassy Nature
Levitate
252 HP / 86 Atk/80 Df/ 96 SpD
0 ivs in speed
~ Hypnosis
~ Earthquake
~ Gyro Ball
~ Explosion

A neccesary pokemon for my team as it helps to wall, it hits fairly hard (especially with Gyro ball) can use trick room to give itself, Scizor and Tyranitar a speed boost if needed and can also go out with a huge bang with explosion. Earthquake to unsuspecting fires.

Like Broderick said, you don't want Trick Room on a Pokemon on your team when your team isn't designed around it. Use Hypnosis for the welcomed sleep support. The EVs are standard for a non Trick Room Bronzong. I put in the Ability and Nature since you didn't specify.

Gyarados@Life Orb
Adamant 252 Spd 252att 4hp
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Stone Edge
~ Earthquake

A proven menace...

I assume that was just a typo on the EVs. Anyways, it looks fine.

Like i have said, this is my first team and i realise that their are many weaknesses, hopefully the more experianced of you can help enlighten me and suggest some ways forward.

Thanks in advance
Changes in bold. Your team has no huge weaknesses to any type, which is always good. However, you have no Electric resist. This meas that something like SpecsJolt could prove a major pain for this team. In fact, every Pokemon on this team is potentially or always 2KOd or OHKOd by Specs Thunderbolt. Gengar can 2KO it with Shadow Ball, but it is OHKOd by either T-bolt or Shadow Ball. Luckily, SpecsJolt was just 3.53% of Pokemon used last month, but it is still a major threat to this team.
More and more of these Azelf leads come back in later to spread paralysis
Old 06-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Sebastien Loeb Offline
Experienced Trainer

If that is your team, MixApe with Hidden Power Elettric destroys you the whole team, you replace Bronzong with one counter of his.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Broderick Offline

Send a message via AIM to Broderick Send a message via MSN to Broderick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastien Loeb View Post
If that is your team, MixApe with Hidden Power Elettric destroys you the whole team, you replace Bronzong with one counter of his.
And HOW often does MixApe carry HP Electric? .-.
If anything it'd carry T-punch.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Tranquil Leafeon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Tranquil Leafeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broderick View Post
And HOW often does MixApe carry HP Electric? .-.
If anything it'd carry T-punch.
Agreed. MixApe only uses HP [Ice], really (or GK maybe both). Also, Gengar does 65% minimum to a Hasty MixApe with Shadow Ball, and 73% minimum to Naive ones. Scizor's Bullet Punch does 41% minimum to Hasty MixApe, and 39% to Naive ones. MixApe can be stopped by this team without it being completely ripped apart.
More and more of these Azelf leads come back in later to spread paralysis