Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:09 AM
Elrond Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Elrond
Default Re: Question to christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Valentine_4 View Post
You do realize that God and the whole christian religion is a rip off of past religions correct? What makes those other religions wrong and christianity right?
Rip-off? I'm not entirely sure where you're going with that. Continuation and alteration, yes, but Christianity didn't just rip off Judaism (though if you have another point, I'd love to hear it).

As far as Christianity being right... it's a matter of belief. You can't exactly prove that any religion is the right one, in the same way you can't absolutely prove there is no God. Though my suggestion when it comes to questions like that would be to ask a priest. Just sayin'.

Quote:
SotaOMG (10:05:46 PM): i think stunky is sexy
iamnotyou11 (10:05:54 PM): Soda stop being gay
supermonkey07@cox.net (10:06:03 PM): ironic statement?
<URPG>
I can probably take some grading requests now. But don't all rush me at once. :/
Old 04-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Disruption Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Disruption

Well maybe that's just it. People say that they don't need proof, but thing is, people need evidence for everything else in life, but when religion comes into the picture, no proof necessary. Why?

Old 04-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Azure Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo the Incinermyn View Post
That's why we Christians accept this on faith.
Faith is the ultimate deus ex machina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disruption View Post
Here's the thing, people say that God is real because the Bible says so, and they say the Bible is true because God says so. Not saying you think like that, but it's very irrational, and when people say Christianity is a fact based on that reasoning, it bothers me.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

Lol @ Azure's picture.

Anyway, I just wanted to aska quick question. Why is religion so...complicated? I mean, why does it have middle-men- if you get what I mean? Rather than directly having faith in God, or being a good person, doing things based on your own judgement...didn't Jesus/other prophets teach his followers to use their judgement and good sense to do things?

Why/how do bodies/institutions/individuals claim to be the middle-men: In other words, linking common man and God? "In order to reach God, you need our permission". Arrogance of some insitutions seem to proclaim that fact. It's almost as if they're trying to patent/copyright God...is it?

Correct me fi I'm wrong buuuuuuut...in the earlier times Roman Catholics had to confess their sins to a Priest- and then get forgiven. Middle-men again...

Note @ trolls who'll jump in and say I'm biased against Christianity. SHUT UP AND DON'T QUOTE ME. I'M NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR FAIL TROLL REPLIES..

Note @ others: For instance...is it me, or is the Church sticking to some of its "Ideals" that it appears like propaganda?

Example: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29531755/

Just one of the few examples I could provide.

And oddly, they aren't exactly scoring very high on philanthropy. I mean, sure they donate money to Red Cross and some organizations, but given the Vatican's vast resources, perhaps you would find them donating to the Bill and Melinda Gates/Rockefeller foundation? I may have missed it, but as far as I know, the Vatican didnt donate much- maybe none at all- money to that many Foundations.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:18 PM
spartan117 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to spartan117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fairy Sugar View Post
Lol @ Azure's picture.

Anyway, I just wanted to aska quick question. Why is religion so...complicated? I mean, why does it have middle-men- if you get what I mean? Rather than directly having faith in God, or being a good person, doing things based on your own judgement...didn't Jesus/other prophets teach his followers to use their judgement and good sense to do things?

Why/how do bodies/institutions/individuals claim to be the middle-men: In other words, linking common man and God? "In order to reach God, you need our permission". Arrogance of some insitutions seem to proclaim that fact. It's almost as if they're trying to patent/copyright God...is it?

Correct me fi I'm wrong buuuuuuut...in the earlier times Roman Catholics had to confess their sins to a Priest- and then get forgiven. Middle-men again...

Note @ trolls who'll jump in and say I'm biased against Christianity. SHUT UP AND DON'T QUOTE ME. I'M NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR FAIL TROLL REPLIES..

Note @ others: For instance...is it me, or is the Church sticking to some of its "Ideals" that it appears like propaganda?

Example: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29531755/

Just one of the few examples I could provide.

And oddly, they aren't exactly scoring very high on philanthropy. I mean, sure they donate money to Red Cross and some organizations, but given the Vatican's vast resources, perhaps you would find them donating to the Bill and Melinda Gates/Rockefeller foundation? I may have missed it, but as far as I know, the Vatican didnt donate much- maybe none at all- money to that many Foundations.
You cant just base Christianity off the Catholic Church. Thats why theres different churches. I dont know about anyone but I dont need a middle-men to talk to God. I confess my sins straigh to God and not some priest. You dont need anyones permission to reach God.
Religion isnt that complicated. It just depends on the way you look at it.
My URPG Stats
MyBio

If you want a free http://www.lockerz.com/ please PM me with your email.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan117 View Post
You cant just base Christianity off the Catholic Church. Thats why theres different churches. I dont know about anyone but I dont need a middle-men to talk to God. I confess my sins straigh to God and not some priest. You dont need anyones permission to reach God.
Religion isnt that complicated. It just depends on the way you look at it.
Agreed, but don't some factions in the Church show it that way?

Religion can be very easily used to brainwash people. Look at the way Islam is being abused by people like Osama Bin Laden, to fool young people to kill themselves in the name of religion. Doingrrorist attacks're the only way to reach god...or that's the propaganda used on them.

While the Church isn't...to such a degree, it does still cast a shadow of propaganda, doesn't it? What's your opinion on that?
Old 04-24-2009, 04:39 AM
Alonso Offline

Send a message via AIM to Alonso

Quote:
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Lol @ Azure's picture.

Yes the Church says that you must have a priest to be able to confess your sins. However, I went to a Catholic school and in religion class we learned that you dont really need a priest to confess your sins. You can simply pray and ask for forgiveness and you will be forgiven if you truly want to be forgiven. However, for mortal sins, you would need the priest to be reconciled. I dont go to church anymore. I have so many doubts about the Catholic church but im not going to go and do what everyone else did, found a new church. That would just be contradicting my beliefs. I do believe in God and Jesus and i dislike the thought of having so many churches around because that only divides us.

The biggest thing that just bothers me, though, is why did God allow the division of his people through Abraham and his two sons? Abraham's wife, Sarah, could not have kids so Sarah ordered Abraham to have a kid with her servant (second wife in Islam). So then we have Ismael. Sarah was unhappy cuz Ismael wasn't really her biological son, so she prayed to God and God made her fruitful. Now Abraham and Sarah have a biological son named Isaac. Isaac would lead to Judaism and later Christianity but Ismael leads to Islam. Why didn't God just make Abraham's wife fruitful in the first place and avoid the conflicts that exist today? It has just occurred to me that because of these events, God's true plan is not known to anyone because it was probably hidden from the public by power-hungry, elitists so that the Israelites and later Christians would be led to believe they are the chosen people and no one else. This is what religion is. Confusion. Division. Believing we are right and everyone else is wrong. Now God is not religion. God is just God.
Go to the Anime section

Last edited by Alonso; 04-24-2009 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Grsspkmnmaster Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Grsspkmnmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
Why didn't God just make Abraham's wife fruitful in the first place and avoid the conflicts that exist today?
This has to do with free will. Even though God has the power to change anything he wants in our world, then there is always speculation as to why he doesn't just prove by himself that he is the true God. He could make the very Earth proclaim in his name, send legion upon legion of angels to spread the Gospel, and provide proof that would convince everybody he is the true God. However, he gave us free will. If he did the former exultation, there wouldn't be much glory. Its like being forced to be loved. But love on its own conditions is more powerful and personal, which is why I believe God lets us have freewill, and provides oppurtunities to test our faith.

Quote:
This is what religion is. Confusion. Division. Believing we are right and everyone else is wrong. Now God is not religion. God is just God.
No, this is not religion. This is human error as a result of sin and of freewill. Religion isn't best defined by the people who worship it. There are thousands of people who claim to be Christians in America, but will denounce the fundamentalist faiths. You can't group people who say they are Christians with the true believers. Yes, there is division in the Church, which I find ridiculous, but that is not a result of God being a God of chaos. You said it yourself, God is just God. He is not the 'embodiment' of religion, but he is the reason for it. You can't be the result and the cause at the same time. You can't be the plane and the pilot, you can't be the water and the drowning person. Religion is a result of God, and God is a cause of religion. Like you said, God is just God.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Alonso Offline

Send a message via AIM to Alonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsspkmnmaster View Post
This has to do with free will. Even though God has the power to change anything he wants in our world, then there is always speculation as to why he doesn't just prove by himself that he is the true God. He could make the very Earth proclaim in his name, send legion upon legion of angels to spread the Gospel, and provide proof that would convince everybody he is the true God. However, he gave us free will. If he did the former exultation, there wouldn't be much glory. Its like being forced to be loved. But love on its own conditions is more powerful and personal, which is why I believe God lets us have freewill, and provides oppurtunities to test our faith.

No, this is not religion. This is human error as a result of sin and of freewill. Religion isn't best defined by the people who worship it. There are thousands of people who claim to be Christians in America, but will denounce the fundamentalist faiths. You can't group people who say they are Christians with the true believers. Yes, there is division in the Church, which I find ridiculous, but that is not a result of God being a God of chaos. You said it yourself, God is just God. He is not the 'embodiment' of religion, but he is the reason for it. You can't be the result and the cause at the same time. You can't be the plane and the pilot, you can't be the water and the drowning person. Religion is a result of God, and God is a cause of religion. Like you said, God is just God.
I know. We're on the same chapter.

Quote:
This is human error
I've said that like 4 times in previous posts.
Go to the Anime section

Old 04-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Grsspkmnmaster Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Grsspkmnmaster

Just answering on some seemingly open points in your post. I'm not trying to argue.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Rohypnol Offline

Send a message via AIM to Rohypnol

Quote:
You cant just base Christianity off the Catholic Church. Thats why theres different churches.
Yea! I don't like what you teach so imma start up my own church with my own principles! <The History of Christianity.

DoIPutNameHere: cradily, bad game really f***** up w/o storm drain, horrible playing, i give you a 0/10, please try harder next time
Old 04-24-2009, 07:57 PM
spartan117 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:

Religion can be very easily used to brainwash people. Look at the way Islam is being abused by people like Osama Bin Laden, to fool young people to kill themselves in the name of religion. Doingrrorist attacks're the only way to reach god...or that's the propaganda used on them.

While the Church isn't...to such a degree, it does still cast a shadow of propaganda, doesn't it? What's your opinion on that?
Yea I agree with you to a certain point. Thats why you have to be careful what churches you go to/choose. And theres also cults....but thats somewhat different.
And yea I think the thing Osama Bin Laden is doing is wrong. I mean from what I know Islam is suppused to be a religion of peace. I mean its very close to Judaism and yet they hate each other. I never understood that. =/
The catholic church did a similar thing during the crusades(they told the soldiers i they die in battle they go to heaven). People can be easily fooled by religion so yea I agree with that.
But if you know your religion well enough you wont be fooled by some pope or leader. Thats why I base my belief in the bible and not on something some priest says(not saying all priests/pastors are wrong or anything liek that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrptr101 View Post
Yea! I don't like what you teach so imma start up my own church with my own principles! <The History of Christianity.
Not your own principles but the priciples in the bible.
My URPG Stats
MyBio

Old 04-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Rohypnol Offline

Send a message via AIM to Rohypnol

Quote:
Not your own principles but the priciples in the bible.
The Bible states ONE set of principles. Not thousands of them which technically means that only one of the thousands of Christian denominations is the "correct" church right?

DoIPutNameHere: cradily, bad game really f***** up w/o storm drain, horrible playing, i give you a 0/10, please try harder next time
Old 04-24-2009, 11:13 PM
spartan117 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrptr101 View Post
The Bible states ONE set of principles. Not thousands of them which technically means that only one of the thousands of Christian denominations is the "correct" church right?
Yes but your interpretations can differ.
My URPG Stats
MyBio

Old 04-28-2009, 04:12 AM
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to zachattack Send a message via MSN to zachattack

Quote:

I'm just going to chip in on my age old thread, (and I'm so proud of it), and say they make it confusinig so people don't bother to try to see all the inconsistencies in it?

When you have no questioning of a fact, then you have brainwashing.

==
==